Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRoger Taylor for Crossover Prog

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Roger Taylor for Crossover Prog
    Posted: January 12 2013 at 10:31
Well, I think it's time to introduce you very little-known solo stuff from Queen's drummer Roger Taylor.

His debut album 'Fun in Space', released in 1981, as you can draw in form its name, was a copmlete space-rock LP, with very spacey keyboards and somewhat unusual songs (though not very sophisticated ones). He wrote all songs and played all instruments (with guest appearance of David Richards who partly recorded keyboards for this album).

His second LP, where he again played all instruments with some minor appearances from David Richards and John Deacon, was more of a new wave/pop album, though it was not that simple too:
'Killing Time' — a new wave/space rock song with symphonic interludy.

Or, for example, being not complex though, 'Strange Frontier and 'It's an Illusion' both include unusual melody and mood changes:

In 1994 he drastically changed his style, so his third album 'Happinness?' was more soft, more quiet, with predomination of slow piano tracks. He also decided not to play all instruments and put session musicians on it.
'Foreign Sand' written & recorded with Yoshiki — a gorgeus symphonic mini-epic ballad:

Another track with Yoshiki, released only on Japanese edition of 'Happiness?':

'The Key', a bass-heavy track with great jazzy piano improvisation at the end:

More typical 'Happiness?' songs, short, slow and dark atmospheric ballads.

And a more energetic track where he showcases his alternative rock influences for the first time:

His fourth album 'Electric Fire', released in 1998, was a spiritual sequel to 'Happiness?', though it was more alt-rock influenced thing with some Radiohead and even industrial touches. It also was very eclectic, including both typical slow ballads, electric funk, heavy rock, dance music and more.

and a strange thing you'd hate at the first listen, but it really grows on you

His 2009 solo single, from forthcoming fifth album, one of the most eclectic and proggy songs from Taylor, includinc symphonic arrangements, acoustic and heavy metal parts, he played all instruments again.

In general I can coclude that Roger Taylor's music has always been very artsy, experimental and eclectic. It wasn't oriented for any commercial success, so Taylor was never afraid to experiment. And though his music wasn't any complex or sophisticated, it still was far beyond any pop stuff.

In general, I believe that Taylor deserves to have a place on the archives, more like in Crossover Prog section.

Edited by ole-the-first - January 12 2013 at 14:31
This night wounds time.
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2013 at 10:49
Agreed
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2013 at 11:22
Roger Taylor was always my favorite member of Queen, and I played "Fun in Space" a whole lot in my teens.  I recently re-discovered it and digitized my vinyl copy, and it still sounds good.  I also have "Strange Frontier", but have neglected to keep up with him after that, though I remember a so-so album by a band he led called The Cross ("Shove It" was a cool song I recall).  

I've always thought of him as more pop/rock and not prog, but I'd be happy to welcome him to PA should the crossover team want him.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
ole-the-first View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2013 at 11:29
Dancey 'Shove It' was a big disaster, and Taylot understood it so he later recorded with The Cross two straightforward hard rock albums, both were pretty decent hard rock, somewhat AOR'ish, but still very good.
This night wounds time.
The Doctor View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2013 at 11:38
I enjoy Taylor's solo work quite a bit and also his three outings with The Cross (ok, Shove It wasn't the greatest).  I never really thought of him as particularly proggy though. He always struck me as more straight-ahead rock with some soft rock thrown in later in his career.  Great songwriter and singer, as well as drummer, but not sure that he qualifies as prog. 
I can understand your anger at me, but what did the horse I rode in on ever do to you?
The Truth View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2013 at 13:27
I'd say maybe crossover and definitely prog-related.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2013 at 05:46
No for related to Prog Related.
What?
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2013 at 12:22
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

No for related to Prog Related.

How about related to a bloke with long hair, who used to do a bit of prog in his spare time, but now just works behind the bar?
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
ole-the-first View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2013 at 19:06
Listening to his fifth album I can say there are some surprisingly prominent jazz influences, as well as some symphonic bits. On the other hand, this album is kinda simplier than his 90's stuff.

This night wounds time.
 Post Reply Post Reply