Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Procol Harum appreciation

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Kirillov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Procol Harum appreciation
    Posted: January 14 2013 at 07:45
I've recently been exploring Procol Harum's back catalogue, until then all I really knew about them was 'A Whiter Shade of Pale' and the court case.

I'm happy to say I've been completely blown away by the quality of some of their albums - 'A Salty Dog' and 'Broken Barricades' especially. It might be argued that they became a little less interesting after Robin Trower left, but even later albums like 'Exotic Birds and Fruit' are well worth attention.

It's pleasing to see this underrated band given some credit on PA. They should have been huge, but now are often regarded in the UK as the ultimate in 'one hit wonders'.
Moogtron III View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moogtron III Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2013 at 08:02
Great band, I love all studio albums up to and including Grand Hotel.
Their classic sound is great on the first three albums.
Home and Broken Barricades are good attempts to go beyond their classic sound (and they succeed IMHO).
Grand Hotel may be a bit retrospective, but still that one might be my favorite.
I have only listened once to Exotic Birds And Fruits, and I cannot give a good opinion on that album yet. 
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2013 at 08:20
A wonderful band.  I don't even really like Whiter Shade of Pale, and never understood why it is so revered.  But most of their albums I've heard are very strong.   "Shine on Brightly" is by far my favorite, an absolute mound of awesomeness.  "Salty Dog", "Home", and "Barricades" aren't far behind.  The debut album I've had some trouble getting into - weird, because it's normally considered at least on a par with their other early albums.   I'm a little less enthusiastic about the post-Trower albums, but I have and  enjoy the majority of the songs on Grand Hotel and Exotic Birds.  Not familiar with anything after that.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Prog Sothoth View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog Sothoth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2013 at 08:45
Home is such a great album, with some of the most downer death-obssessed lyrics for their time. Classy musicianship and killer singing. Still my favorite.
Kirillov View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kirillov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2013 at 09:19
Cheers for the comments. 'Home' is indeed a cracking album with a dark atmosphere, although Piggy Pig Pig is oddly catchy tune!
hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2013 at 09:31
Shine on Brightly Heart
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2013 at 10:00
I've written reviews here for "Shine", "Salty", and "Home", if you'd like to check them out.

btw, Krillov and hellogoodbye have the same avatar and it's giving me vertigo.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2013 at 10:15
Me too Geek
AEProgman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AEProgman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2013 at 13:40

I got to see them this past summer as the opening act for Yes.  No Trower of course, actually Brooker is the only original guy, without his voice it would not be Procol Harum, but his voice sounded just like it did 30/40 years ago, amazing!

Love the first 3 albums...good that they get some deserved recognition in the Forum.
Kotro View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kotro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2013 at 13:49
Great band, with and without Trower. Don't think they really have a "great album", something brilliant from start to finish, but each record has at least a couple of amazing songs.
Bigger on the inside.
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2013 at 13:57
Procol Harum is one of the cornerstones in the first development of symphonic prog,, and also to avant prog, i whould, say, their cabaret like style i have heard in bands all over the 70s, their influence should not be underestimated.

Broken Barricades is a truly wonderfull album 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2013 at 21:03
This song from Grand Hotel is one of my favourite : Fires - Procol Harum (1973)

akaBona View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akaBona Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2013 at 04:36
Grand Hotel - my favourite one!
zeqexes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeqexes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2013 at 05:17
My only experience with Procol Harum's music is Transatlantic's cover of "In Held ('Twas) In I". Perhaps I should check out more of their music
Eria Tarka View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eria Tarka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2013 at 19:46
All I've ever heard from Procol is the Shine on Brightly album (I really love it), and the tracks; "A Whiter Shade of Pale" (obviously), "Conquistador", and "A Salty Dog". Overall, I really need to explore their discography more , but I definitely like what I've been hearing.
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2013 at 20:40
I actually violated my rule against buying "Best Of''s".  But I only have that and The Prodigal Stranger, which I got as cut out. Big smile
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

zappaholic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zappaholic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2013 at 18:57
I have the hits package too (the A&M Backlot Series), and I seem to remember having listened to the Shine On Brightly album years ago at college.  One of these days I'll kick myself in the arse and explore their catalog in greater depth.

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard." -- H.L. Mencken
ProcolWho? View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProcolWho? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2014 at 23:57
From Russia, the land of Putin, is also the land where they saw fit to produce a 23 hour  homage to one of the greatest bands of all time.

I don't speak Russian , but don't let that stop you.

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/yzcvypzp6yzpp/Procol
Andrea Cortese View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrea Cortese Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2014 at 16:26
One of my favourite bands ever!!!

The first album of theirs I've got is Broken Barricades that has always had a special place in my heart.
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote presdoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2014 at 19:14
My favorite is Something Magic, not a fan favorite but I find it charming and appealing big time.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>