Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Procol Harum appreciation

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote questionsneverknown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2015 at 13:41
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Originally posted by questionsneverknown questionsneverknown wrote:

In full shame I'll admit that I really know nothing of PH, but I was happy to see that Esoteric (a label I love) is doing proper reissues of the first albums, so I'm looking forward to picking some of those up and getting an education!

Very early one...still a favorite with me.

I dig! Very cool--great lyrics. Thanks for passing that one along.
The damage that we do is just so powerfully strong we call it love

The damage that we do just goes on and on and on but not long enough.

--Robyn Hitchcock
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2015 at 14:59
Another favorite from the later years....

One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2015 at 15:30

Procol Harum A Salty Dog Live Pop2 1971

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7JBpRragNU

BeyondThePale View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeyondThePale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2015 at 18:17
Great to see some appreciation shown for the Procolers. There really was so much good stuff after 'Whiter Shade of Pale', which 99% of listeners have never heard.

Broken Barricades really stands up well over time. 'Simple Sister' and the title track are timeless, but who can resist the slithery, underhanded gems such as 'Luskus Delph' and 'Playmate of the Mouth'. If you love the title track, by all means try to find Procol Harum Live at the Hollywood Bowl. It's from their orchestral period, but the arrangement and chorus really add extra dimensions.

Everyone knows their orchestral period 71/72 from the Edmonton album. Grand Hotel, the studio followup, explored the rather formal orchestral settings, but for me the best stuff on there was still rock and roll ('Bringing Home the Bacon'). Ah, tender juicy steaks.

Exotic Birds and Fruit is a really steady (and overlooked) prog rock gem. They had ditched the orchestra and gone back to some really bracing, creative rock. Guitarist Mick Grabham really shone on brightly here. Check out 'The Idol'.
Intruder View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Intruder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2015 at 20:37

Salty Dog is an absolute classic - their peak, IMO.  Their sound changed completely with Home and Barricades - almost like a different band.  The guitar becomes the focus and that organ fades away.....I love Trower but Fishers organ and vocals are integral to that classic Procols sound.  Home was good, Barricades less so, Hotel brought back the grandeur but not the wit, and Exotic is a bit of a drag.  Each of them is essential if you dig the band, but these days just Salty Dog, the Edmonton album and Home (and my BBC and NYC 1970 bootlegs) get much play.

I like to feel the suspense when you're certain you know I am there.....
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2015 at 20:53
Just purchased a remastered version of Live in Concert with the Edmonton Orchestra to replace my old CD. Brilliant album and one of my favorite live releases. Sounds great too, even though Trower had left the group.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2015 at 21:44
Interesting name origin....never knew it was due to a cat someone owned.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2015 at 01:44
Originally posted by Intruder Intruder wrote:

Salty Dog is an absolute classic - their peak, IMO.  Their sound changed completely with Home and Barricades - almost like a different band.  The guitar becomes the focus and that organ fades away.....I love Trower but Fishers organ and vocals are integral to that classic Procols sound.  Home was good, Barricades less so, Hotel brought back the grandeur but not the wit, and Exotic is a bit of a drag.  Each of them is essential if you dig the band, but these days just Salty Dog, the Edmonton album and Home (and my BBC and NYC 1970 bootlegs) get much play.

ASD is a classic, IF the title track was on the original album.

I'm more of a fan of their first two (s/t and SoB) than the next three (ASD, Home and BB), which had some real strong stuff, but also some real WTF tracks. From those three, I tend to think Home is the stronger one, but also the more depressing, and BB the weaker one.

They never made the perfect album(IMHO):

WTF tracks fro ASD (how is this a concept album, anyway):
  • A3 Too Much Between Us 3:43
  • A4 The Devil Came From Kansas 4:36
  • A5 Boredom 4:34
  • B1 Juicy John Pink 2:07

Weaker tracks from BB:

• A2 Broken Barricades 3:10
  • A3 Memorial Drive 3:43
  • A4 Luskus Delph 3:47
  • B1 Power Failure 4:30

Basically, I'm a fan of the MkI line-up (or the Trower years), and I love the symphonic would-be recap of those early days. For some reasons, I simply never could get into the post-Trower albums (except for the Edmonton thing), but the very under-rated drummer BJ Wilson remained excellent thoughout

BeyondThePale View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeyondThePale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2015 at 08:52
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Weaker tracks from BB:

• A2 Broken Barricades 3:10
  • A3 Memorial Drive 3:43
  • A4 Luskus Delph 3:47
  • B1 Power Failure 4:30

I've been told that most or all of BB was written in the studio, and it has a slightly unfinished feeling to it. This live version of the title track may change you mind about that song:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTxRVEb7NAQ

I like Luskus Delph. If you have a dirty mind, it's a great companion to 'Playmate of the Mouth' and represents Keith Reid in his dark, weird period (which started with Home).
KingCrInuYasha View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KingCrInuYasha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2015 at 00:22
I only have the first album, which I think it's good, though "Conquistador" was kind of a disappointment after hearing that live version they did.
He looks at this world and wants it all... so he strikes, like Thunderball!
For Nobody's Bush View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote For Nobody's Bush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2018 at 18:30
I love the first 5 but do not turn a deaf ear to Exotic Fruits. It will grow on you and his voice is almost Gentle Giant-ish.
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The.Crimson.King Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2018 at 19:00
One of my favorite bands since I was a little kid (A Whiter Shade of Pale was one of my first favorite songs).  Love the first group of albums with Trower the best (though Broken Barricades is a step down).  After that Grand Hotel, Exotic & Procol's Ninth are all winners too...different but still cool.  Gary Brooker remains one of the great rock voices in history Thumbs Up
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2018 at 21:59
Also my long time favourites. First, Shine On, a Salty Dog, Home, Grand Hotel, In Concert & Exotic are all just so great album, rest also have at least great moments!
TiddK View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TiddK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2018 at 03:31
I've not read all the posts here, but I must say that A Whiter Shade Of Pale is THE most overplayed song on the radio and I'm now sick to death of it.

That aside, I think PH are definitely underrated as a band and they did some quite outstanding stuff. My own favourites are
- Homburg (follow up to AWSOP and superior I think)
- A Salty Dog
- Conquistador (don't forget the live version which was a hit in '72)
- Shine On Brightly
- Good Captain Clack (very Beatles-ish)
- Recent Walpurgis
- Cerdes (Outside The Gates Of)
- She Wandered Through The Garden Fence

I have to confess there's a lot of their stuff I probably haven't even heard. Unhappy
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2018 at 03:57
^ All good early songs! I never get tired of AWSOP and want it played at my funeral!
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
The Jester View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Jester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2018 at 00:37
A really wonderful band!
I have all their albums in vinyl, and many of them on cd's as well.
I very underappreciated band...
Everybody knows A Whiter Shade of Pale, but not many things after that.
Shine on Brightly, A Salty Dog, Home, Grand Hotel, Exotic Birds and Fruits, even Something Magic... amazing albums!
But if you want to begin from somewhere, I recommend the live album In Concert with the Edmonton Symphony Orchestra (1972). There, you will get a good idea of what Procol Harum was/is about!
If anybody wants please visit: http://www.gfreedomathina.blogspot.com/

This is my Blog mostly about Rock music, but also a few other things as well.

You are most welcome!

Thank you. :)
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2018 at 02:15
Have to mention In Held Twas In I because no-one mentioned it with those other great songs, I think itīs the greatest Procol song and I have a feeling a bit underrated here, maybe I am wrong.

Also, I am still big Whiter Shade of-fan, it was played also in my wedding like many others I think.
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2018 at 04:50
TBH, I'm mostly a first-era fan... the Robin Trower years, to which you can add the Edmonton  Symphonic  Live ... After that, it was only BJ and Brooker (though Fisher hadn't completely disappeared (production) and Reid 's texts were still there as well... But the magic was gone, especially with that terrible Something album.

After that, I don't really care for their albums which seemed to be just one more of the previous one

But I really love the debut (preferably with Shade included), as half of the tracks (like Conqu, Cerdes, Walpurgis and WSoP)  in it arer in my top 20 PH songs.
I have a soft spot for SOB, but TBH, I only really love the sidelong suite and Skip Softly (Moonbeams).
Salty Dog has a few outstanding tracks, but I'm not a fan of stuff like Juicy John and Kansas (which ruins it a little). It's quite uneven as an album, but it is saved by a much-better flipside IMHO.
Home, despite a fun artwork is a really dark album, but there are some classic tracks, but marred by idiot stuff like Piggy Pig.
Barricades is relatively weak (despite being dominated by Trower's guitar), but Sister, Drive and Dreamer are classics as well. Playmate and Mohamed are also OK tracks.  

Edit: I see I already gave my 0.02p three years ago

Edited by Sean Trane - August 20 2018 at 04:58
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2018 at 10:38
^ Yes, but where would PA be without some repetition? Approve
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
prog4evr View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote prog4evr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2018 at 02:10
Originally posted by zeqexes zeqexes wrote:

My only experience with Procol Harum's music is Transatlantic's cover of "In Held ('Twas) In I". Perhaps I should check out more of their music

Without a doubt, you are right. Covers are (truly) no exception for the ORIGINAL...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>