FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNew label "Prog Temple"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: New label "Prog Temple"
    Posted: January 15 2013 at 13:54
I saw in another recent thread that someone mentioned the album "Life After Death" by Life which is released on the label Prog Temple". Doing any sort of online search brings up the few titles on the label but nothing more in the way of meaningful information. Looking at the release dates, it does rather imply that it's a brand new venture, as they are all 2012/13. Does anyone know anything at all about this label? It looks like a bootleg label at first glance but any info would be appreciated.

Here's the list:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=sr_adv_m_pop?__mk_en_GB=%C5M%C5Z%D5%D1&search-alias=popular&unfiltered=1&field-keywords=&field-artist=&field-title=&field-label=Prog+Temple&field-ean=&field-browse=&field-price=&field-binding_browse-bin=&emi=&sort=&Adv-Srch-Music-Album-Submit.x=58&Adv-Srch-Music-Album-Submit.y=3

Edited by Archer - January 15 2013 at 16:51
Sumdeus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2013 at 14:06
Never heard of em but if anyone knows anything I would also be interested, I've been looking for labels that I could send my album too.. Tried Cosmic Eye Records last month and they said they'd check it out but never got back to me with anything else...
Sumdeus - surreal space/psych/prog journeys
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2013 at 14:11
I'd probaly just go the CD Baby route.
A-JCharron View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2013 at 15:01
Probably their own label, it's a common practice. Some of us put that down to not look unsigned... My own album is on Azimuth Records; you won't find anything there either.
Humouring Gods; Where Classic Meets Rock

http://www.ajcharronmusic.com
<a href="http://[email protected]"
Archer View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2013 at 15:47
Not their own label, I suspect, as there are a few other artists - the other titles from that label are...

Zero Time by Tonto's Expanding Head Band

Wishful Thinking by Hiroshima

Time by Time

Formerly Fat Harry by Formerly Fat Harry

Spring by Spring

Edited by Archer - January 15 2013 at 15:48
Archer View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2013 at 04:34
In case anyone is interested, I have received the CD by Life. The liner notes include the claim that the issue is an escrow one - for those unfamiliar with this term, it is where the label issues an album without the consent of the artists / rights holders. They allegedly set up an account from which proceeds from sales will go towards any royalties claimed. A noble gesture and on the face of it a laudable one for music consumers who want a physical, digital copy of a rare album. How much of any monies ever go to the artists in question is somewhat hard to prove of course but there you have it.

Given the circumstances of the issue and based only on these types of release that I already own, I would say this is definitely an "unauthorised" label. There is also a complete absence of label info - another factor which lends to the suspicion that they are a fly-by-night venture, although I'd be happy to be proved wrong on that one. As evidenced in my last post, they also have the Spring album scheduled for a  February release and that's a more thorny topic as it was last issued on Repertoire and I assume that would have been a licensed version. I'm not sure if I'll buy the Spring but then the Repertoire is long out of print and the only other CD copy I have is another unauthorised one. I'd be interested to hear if anyone else buys a copy of the Spring - to hear what the mastering is like.

Edited by Archer - January 22 2013 at 04:37
blondelfan View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2013 at 15:12
Hi Archer,  just picked up the new 'prog temple' titles Formerly Fat Harry & Spring, bought them off ebay.  The sound quality on both are excellent, in fact well happy with them both.   I take your point about the label possibly being dubious, but I take my hat off to them  of the six titles they have issued 3 of them have never been released on CD before and the other 3 have been deleted for a long while, so I thank Prog Temple for bringing 'new' music into the pubic domain and urge them to keep up the good work.
Archer View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2013 at 20:58
Ah - thanks for the reply. I assumed that where this thread had been dumped, it would never be seen again :)

I might get the Spring on that basis. The sound quality of the Life album is also very good. It does have some odd edits, however, as the first three (or four ?) tracks end abruptly - unnaturally so. My guess is that they may have once been segued together on the original album and the label has indeed applied some post production work, quite possibly some de-clicking. It sounds good enough to be a vinyl rip, without the obvious artefacts.
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2013 at 06:45
I don't think you'll be dissappointed with the sound quality of the Spring and what a great album, definitely in my top 10, if not number 1.  Ihave played the Life album again in view of your comments and the first four tracks are segued by birdsong which I think might give the listener the feeling of abrupt endings, I think it adds to it's charm and my own feeling of the album is it is the best Uriah Heep album they never made.  Just for your info, the next two releases on Prog Temple due in march are Fynn McCool and an album i've been after for a long time is the first Amazing Blondel, have it on vinyl but missed the edsel issue on CD.
Archer View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2013 at 10:51
Originally posted by blondelfan blondelfan wrote:

Just for your info, the next two releases on Prog Temple due in march are Fynn McCool and an album i've been after for a long time is the first Amazing Blondel, have it on vinyl but missed the edsel issue on CD.

Where did you get the new release info? The AB is not listed on Amazon yet - I missed the earlier Edsel as well and it's one I will be getting.
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2013 at 07:48
Hi Archer,  another Amazing Blondel fan,  cool.  I can't remember where I got the info from, I think it was some dealer
at a record fair, by the way he was talking it might be well worth keeping an eye out for that label as I think they could have ambitious plans for future releases, I do remember the bands Byzantium and Uncle Dog being mentioned.

Archer View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2013 at 06:27
I'm also hoping for a release (by someone) of "Evensong" - another early album I never managed to get on CD

Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2013 at 07:28
'evensong' is easily available as a 2on1 CD issued by BGO label (UK) and easily found on amazon/ebay etc., however 'evensong' as a release on its own was released by edsel years ago, the cheapest i've found that is on ebay.co.uk by
a seller who wants £17.99 for it, on amazon it is a lot more.
Archer View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2013 at 12:34
I have never gone that route as I have the other album on that 2 for 1. I have always been prepared to wait - good job as well! I don't pay excessive prices - for any album - much as I won't charge unrealistic ones when I sell on my Amazon account. I buy and sell at no greater than the cost of a new CD. If more people did that then the rip-off artists would be priced out of business .... but I digress
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2013 at 12:59
I agree with you about prices, but their greed is fuelled by people willing to pay the prices asked for, I saw a copy of
the Spring album sell for £1000 recently, while people will still pay these outlandish prices, there will be dealers there to exploit it.  I'm sure your wait for an 'evensong' release will unfortunately be in vain, I cannot see anybody releasing that while the BGO title is still out there.  If I didn't have a copy of the 'evensong' album I would be tempted in buying the
copy on ebay at £17.99, only because as a mad Blondel fan, I would have to have it, but certainly wouldn't go much higher.
Archer View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2013 at 13:41
Well that was my point exactly - if people weren't so impatient, the knock-on effect would be lessened - or even non-existent. I can wait - there's a smallish list of albums I have waited decades for a CD release - I'll keep waiting and hope. Eventually most things come out - either by a dubious label or when a licence for a release has expired and another label takes the plunge.
Archer View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2013 at 02:00
After all that, I just ordered a new Evensong / Fantasia and a "like new" debut from Amazon marketplace - both at £7 a hit - I can't complain at that!

Edited by Archer - February 28 2013 at 02:19
Reed View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2014 at 11:44
Glad to have come across this forum, as I've been looking for some info on this label. I'd never heard of them until yesterday when I discovered that "King Progress" by Jackson Heights is being released tomorrow. The first of their four albums, it's the only one I've really liked, and have been ever hopeful it will be released on cd. Fingers crossed that Prog Temple will deliver.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2014 at 02:04
Originally posted by Reed Reed wrote:

Glad to have come across this forum, as I've been looking for some info on this label. I'd never heard of them until yesterday when I discovered that "King Progress" by Jackson Heights is being released tomorrow. The first of their four albums, it's the only one I've really liked, and have been ever hopeful it will be released on cd. Fingers crossed that Prog Temple will deliver.

Interesting. You reminded me of another 'post Nice' band formed by the drummer Brian Davison (sadly no longer with us) called Every Which Way. I found a copy available for sale on Amazon so have snapped that up and I will also get Lee Jackson's album you mention when it comes out.
Reed View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2014 at 09:23
I've had Every Which Way on vinyl going on forty years now. I never really took to it. Every couple of years, I'd pull it out, give it another spin, yawn, and put it back. About two years ago, I played it and loved it. Go figure. Part of the problem for me could have been that the record was not in the best shape, so that would detract from the listening experience. I know it's on cd, but I'm not willing to pay the very high prices I've seen being charged for it.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>