Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Toaster Mantis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Comparing prog from different countries
    Posted: May 10 2014 at 15:32
The Boredoms used to do everything in their power to sound as stereotypically Japanese as possible.
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
progrockdeepcuts View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2014 at 11:53
Personally, I think one of the charms of listening to foreign bands is when they integrate elements of their folk or classical traditions into their music. Take Anglagard, for instance - I love the way they utilize Swedish folk music in their compositions. What's the point in listening to a second-rate copy of American or British copies by a foreign band?

Edited by progrockdeepcuts - May 05 2014 at 11:54

Listen to older shows here: mixcloud.com/progrockdeepcuts/
govaj View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Spammy Air Jordan Seller from China

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2014 at 12:34
I don't know much of italian music, but the RPI that I have listened to gives me the impression that they have a very Italian sound, much of what I would expect more traditional italian music to sound like, specially Banco.
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2014 at 16:18
Wow Awaken is amazing--what I love is how much the band pays tribute to the original---and doesn't cheese up the guitar parts---and the orchestra and choir work so well---guess Jon should tour with this band I'd go see it for sure!
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2014 at 14:57
There's a pretty strong Zeuhl / Avant French scene at the moment. Lot's of new bands popping up producing great stuff.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2014 at 13:36
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

Originally posted by Chozal Chozal wrote:

French Prog seemed pretty desperate from the start (Ange / Magma), much like what is going on nowadays in the global prog scene imo

I saw the French band Nebel N'est in 1999 in Chicago, they were absolutely amazing!!   I thought they channeled King Crimson.  

That's what I get when I put on their Nova Express album too. Very Crimsonian indeed. I'd actually say that a lot of the "new" French kids on the block seem to mirror KC to a certain extent. NIL, One Shot, Syrinx, Nemo, Guillaume Peret and Taal all tap into that edgy and at times rather angular form of riffing. Most of em do have their own style though, but it's pretty obvious where these people got their mojo from imo.

Oh and I am soooo jealous of you! Damn I want to see Nebelnest too!
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2014 at 13:21

French Prog seemed pretty desperate from the start (Ange / Magma), much like what is going on nowadays in the global prog scene imo

I saw the French band Nebel N'est in 1999 in Chicago, they were absolutely amazing!!   I thought they channeled King Crimson.  
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2014 at 13:20
Check out Jon Anderson performing "Awaken" with the Icelandic band Todmobile!  It starts about 44:00.  Wow!!

aldri7 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2014 at 00:09
reviving this thread.....

Scandinavian prog and rock continues to fascinate me....

Anyone know if there is such a thing as "progressive trip-hop"?  Consider the following two female fronted bands from Norway - "Hanne Hukkelberg" and "Philco Fiction".  Neither of these bands are listed at progarchives, and that would seem reasonable since the sound is more trip hop or nu jazz than prog rock. But consider also cuts like Philco Fiction's 
"too close" and "Berlin War" and Hanne Hukkelberg's "Balloon". Sounds kind of like a progressive trip hop to me. Anyone know of similar bands or artists? I sense that Hanne Hukkelberg and Philco Fiction have inflluenced one another. 

I'd like to hear more "progressive trip hop" and wonder how others would classify this music from a prog perspective.
Hanne is a fascinating talent.

aldri7
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2013 at 08:46

I didn't think so.

I thought that Ange was actually rather positive and had a slight internal spiritual/sensitive edge ... "ecoute ... ecoute ... " and it was really well done ... though I still think that this was influenced indirectly by Pink Floyd's "Meddle" album cover with the soundwaves moving through the water onto an ear, it seems! It's a way of saying ... pay attention ... and I don't think you would be saying that if you didn't care, or had something good to say or stand up for!

The likes of Alan Stivel, had his own Celtic crusade of his own people in Brittany ... folks have an idea that "Celt" is all in the Brittish Isles, and it never was all from there, though one could say the roots might have been similar. Very political, but I never thought it was not positive, and "The Celtic Symphony" is very positive, with its party like fun and atmosphere in the last side! The Brittish tried to extinguish this just like the French did their counterparts! Nothing new here! Depressing and very sad history all around, if you ask me, though so much of that history has been wiped from the map just like the Natives in America by the supposed more religious white man!

Magma, was, to me, no different than something like "Star Trek" ... European style! And it was just fine and musically very good and exciting and different. No matter that its main thrust might have been Carl Orff -- whom it resembles the most in "Carmina Burana", although, the content via the lyrics, as "translated" show something a bit more important than the stuff that goes on in Carl Orff's piece, which is a whole bunch of priests dissing the church and their catechism. By comparison, Magma's is much more interesting and not so vicious ... but I think that some of the Germanic, or revolutionary tone in Magma's work, could have folks concerned, to the point that later, people were comparing that work to Wagner and Nazi this and that, when the cover had them dressed as pigs! Which was very PF and an expression well used in America in the late 60's and early 70's!

I have never thought of either one as "desperate" unless your meaning/translation is different than what I think. However, you are comparing 40 years ... ago to today, and I am not sure that is a good thing to do ... when this stuff came up, there were issues ... and those artists addressed them as they could and would ... and today it is different, with one major concession ... too much of the music today, is simply radio/internet music, and a lot of its lyrical content is rather trivial in my estimation, and you can see that ... there is nothing to fight for ... please check the history of the late 60's and early 70's ... so you can see why things were ... so "desperate" as you say ... and I will gladly tell you that today, things are quite peaceful ... to the point of being really annoying ... because the arts suffer when they don't mean a lot to anyone ... and today, no one cares about art, or anything ... it's all pop music and sounds the same -- so folks here post that they want something that sounds like ... which tells you that they are not really listening to the music ... that one sound or effect speaks for them instead ... and as the man once said ... the father and I were one, and since then no one gives a merde anyway! It's better to confuse people than to help!

It was not the case, then, by the way.

Edited by moshkito - March 27 2013 at 08:53
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Chozal View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2013 at 16:56
The Infinite Progability Drive, feeding you daily progressive/weird music for just a like <3
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2013 at 09:42
Originally posted by aldri7 aldri7 wrote:

... this is much more of an authoritative reply than I could have imagined. :)

It's more from my experience in travelling from Portugal to Brazil (1959), then Brazil to Madison, WI (1966) and then Madison to Santa Barbara, CA (1972) and then the Pacific Northwest since 1982. Well travelled in the I-5 corridor, you could say ... and there is a lot of variance in the music, though as you go north there is way too much country and western for my tastes ... and it maybe ok for places like Pendleton, OR with its big Round-Up, but in Seattle, it's like ... out of place ... cows in Seattle? Just like cows in LA?

To see a classical or operatic influence in metal might seem to be stretching it, but it is definitely there. But I agree with your assessment that the italians "are quite classical minded".  Not so much Bard. And that comes through in their metal and prog metal.

I can hear this ... but then, that would suggest a "cultured ear" as it is called, of which there are many folks here with similar abilities, though I think that some of them can only discuss rock music, and not the peripheral music around it.

The fact of the matter is that when you first learn music, most of the pieces are either simplistic popular music songs, or famous classical bits ... Beethoven's 5th opening is on my piano learning book! Thus, the learning tends to become classical minded.

We learned this in an advanced acting class, that had an advanced lab with it, where we had a chance to experiment and try different things ... and you find out real quick that most really good acting is getting away from your own bits and pieces and influences and tendencies ... which is not something that most folks learn about when you are learning to play, on top of the fact that 99 out of 100 teachers do not know what individuality is when playing something ... another important exercise in acting!

Sorry to use acting as the example, but to me this is extremely visible in places that love to play "the blues", or "this" or "that" ... and you find out real quick that the music talent is diluted severely and that the individuality suffers because of the rigidity of what you have to do ... and be compared to someone else! ... which means your road to fame is lost for the most part!

But I always thought that the rock musicians that did the long cuts and pieces as the "modern composer" of this century, and this is where we all have failed ... we are still looking at too much of this stuff as a hit, a song, a ... anything ... except ... music! and a part of music history ... with one major issue ... the "bard'ic studies are not considered major or important ... why? ... just like pop music ... it is not considered a literary/artistic work because of its stream of conscious and lack of record and written history or form ... which of course, is almost impossible to determine, since it is mostly improvised and has no "form", to speak off as there is no history of it to determine a "form". The history of the arts, basically has never considered those an important part of the history of any of their arts, but it sure made a stronger impression in the 20th century than any other century and I think that "recording" ... is the difference ... all of a sudden, you can see more and learn more about all this stuff, that was difficult to do, then.

But in the process, this also shows that there are less differences than we might think ... and I'm not sure that the BARD in the Chinese Imperial days, is any different than the BARD in the Latin American days ... which I think is great. But it also tells you that there is a major discrepancy and understanding on literary and other traditions that are not documented enough for us to even be able to grab a good history off it.

And yeah ,.. all that is left is generalizations!

Edited by moshkito - March 20 2013 at 09:54
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
aldri7 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2013 at 00:27
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

...I think though that I was also referring specifically to the classic prog vocal style, and if anyone could trace that to a particular bard poet or singer or whatever, that would be really cool....

If we could do that, and do it right, then we would have to put Roy Harper and Peter Hammill, in that corner, and then on the left corner Bob Dylan and Neil Young ... and we would end up with a nasty fight ... and disagreements ... but folks on this board thinking Peter H as a bard? ... he is ... the ultimate bard! With or without electricity. Specially when you consider the "stream of consciousness" that is usually a given with most bards ... though we kinda think of them in a more Shakespearean context than otherwise, since no one else has any idea of what a Bard is ... "wordsmith" would be a more apt description, but I'm not sure that the folks in this board were looking for that at all ... would make a more interesting paper for college, though, than some empty, half-baked rock story!

But it is not hard to show some of these.

Ange- France - Jacques Brel, with a touch of Bertold Brecht and Kurt Weill.

The Italians are quite classical minded and the stories and lyrics tend to shape up like the classics do, in the styles that they are written. Kinda makes you think that Italian music came out of a complete rejection and hate for all schools of music, and that things like Banco, Le Orme, PFM, were more a way to show up their teachers, than otherwise ... look ... I have albums to show for my work .. you don't!

Spanish - Usually too stuck up on the "story" form that has been a tradition of their music since the 1500's, which came from the bard'ic traditions. However, the best known Spanish writers in the last 300 years, have been, almost exclusively, folks that broke that tradition!!!!! But the rock music and progressive bands in the 70's? ... back to the Bard tradition!

English - very folk oriented for my ears, mostly coming from the northern part of the country where most of it originated. I can not sit here and give you details of between Irish and Welsh for example, but there is a very serious bard tradition here of individualism ... which is highly visible in some of their folks. Roy Harper is as good a bard and poet as anyone could ever consider. And in many ways, Kevin Ayers also fits since he was more interested in the words and songs, than he was in the fame, and that is also a very important bard concept. You "point" the wording ... and so forth! And Kevin was magnificent at that, even in fun!

American - very territorial, but the 19th and 20th century pretty much killed all the culture that was not white and british based, and it is well known that the "pioneers" that came West pretty much deleted everything they encountered, up to and including the natives. It will take another 100 or 200 years for these to rise up again, I think, unless something new happens, which is more than likely. Rather independent and political. And the 20th century has made sure they are not heard or forgotten, but many folks slipped through the cracks when you see/hear Woodie Guthrie, Pete Seger, and then the Californians of the 50's ... who no one knows, but a huge number of their songs, keep getting played everywhere, in versions that gives them more creedence than otherwise ...

Brazil and Argentina - extremely political in origin and history ... and in fact, the popular tradition makes sure that these are not heard or seen, but many folks stand out ... and some of them even stand for their old culture that has been destroyed or killed. Same thing for Argentina, whose indigenous population has been completely wiped out by the westerners that occupied it to steal the richness of the soil.

I can probably generalize a couple more from the films and their history ... since it is not too far in tradition and you can see the differences real quick. But you can see, for example, the very harsh divisions in culture in places like (the old) Soviet Union between their many areas ... and the films always showed you many of these and many of the issues at work here and the good, the bad, the ugly ... and the horrific! I can not imagine their music not having the same similar concepts, since their literature sure does!

this is much more of an authoritative reply than I could have imagined. :)

Regarding the italians - I've always tended to regard heavy metal, or at least a sizable segment of it, as being "italian". And especially as it tends to become more prog like with vocalists that are, if not operatic, at least much more so when compared to english prog vocalists. To see a classical or operatic influence in metal might seem to be stretching it, but it is definitely there. But I agree with your assessment that the italians "are quite classical minded". 
Not so much Bard. And that comes through in their metal and prog metal.

Americans have always been by nature somewhat in rebellion against classical music as they were always in rebellion against aristocracy. The classical tradition is strong in Boston and among other wealthy east coast families, in San Francisco, Puget Sound, many parts of the midwest, and among the mormans. Elsewhere.......its blues (or blues derived music) or country or its nothing at all. The dust bowl tradition in music (if there is such a thing) probably influenced California mid 20th century. 

In the US, its interesting to take note though of how classical music thrives in so many households way out on the prairie, far away from any major cities or orchestras. Many pioneers took their 19th century music, their piano and other instruments, etc with them when they headed west and held on to them fiercely. A lot of creativity has come out of that environment - isolated households in Utah, Oklahoma, Iowa, etc where kids grew up surrounded by the classics and doting parents with little else to do but nurture their talent. Jimmy Webb was from Oklahoma, and his talent was truly unique. Another unique talent was Michael Hedges, from Sacramento but who was schooled in Oklahoma. These guys weren't ever influenced by blues or country. They were too isolated from that which is what makes them so interesting. But the other point is that to those in NY, these areas are a "cultural wasteland". I really would like though to try and draw up a list of really gifted individuals from this supposed wasteland, and compare it to a list of the same from NY. 

aldri7

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2013 at 18:04

...I think though that I was also referring specifically to the classic prog vocal style, and if anyone could trace that to a particular bard poet or singer or whatever, that would be really cool....

If we could do that, and do it right, then we would have to put Roy Harper and Peter Hammill, in that corner, and then on the left corner Bob Dylan and Neil Young ... and we would end up with a nasty fight ... and disagreements ... but folks on this board thinking Peter H as a bard? ... he is ... the ultimate bard! With or without electricity. Specially when you consider the "stream of consciousness" that is usually a given with most bards ... though we kinda think of them in a more Shakespearean context than otherwise, since no one else has any idea of what a Bard is ... "wordsmith" would be a more apt description, but I'm not sure that the folks in this board were looking for that at all ... would make a more interesting paper for college, though, than some empty, half-baked rock story!

But it is not hard to show some of these.

Ange- France - Jacques Brel, with a touch of Bertold Brecht and Kurt Weill.

The Italians are quite classical minded and the stories and lyrics tend to shape up like the classics do, in the styles that they are written. Kinda makes you think that Italian music came out of a complete rejection and hate for all schools of music, and that things like Banco, Le Orme, PFM, were more a way to show up their teachers, than otherwise ... look ... I have albums to show for my work .. you don't!

Spanish - Usually too stuck up on the "story" form that has been a tradition of their music since the 1500's, which came from the bard'ic traditions. However, the best known Spanish writers in the last 300 years, have been, almost exclusively, folks that broke that tradition!!!!! But the rock music and progressive bands in the 70's? ... back to the Bard tradition!

English - very folk oriented for my ears, mostly coming from the northern part of the country where most of it originated. I can not sit here and give you details of between Irish and Welsh for example, but there is a very serious bard tradition here of individualism ... which is highly visible in some of their folks. Roy Harper is as good a bard and poet as anyone could ever consider. And in many ways, Kevin Ayers also fits since he was more interested in the words and songs, than he was in the fame, and that is also a very important bard concept. You "point" the wording ... and so forth! And Kevin was magnificent at that, even in fun!

American - very territorial, but the 19th and 20th century pretty much killed all the culture that was not white and british based, and it is well known that the "pioneers" that came West pretty much deleted everything they encountered, up to and including the natives. It will take another 100 or 200 years for these to rise up again, I think, unless something new happens, which is more than likely. Rather independent and political. And the 20th century has made sure they are not heard or forgotten, but many folks slipped through the cracks when you see/hear Woodie Guthrie, Pete Seger, and then the Californians of the 50's ... who no one knows, but a huge number of their songs, keep getting played everywhere, in versions that gives them more creedence than otherwise ...

Brazil and Argentina - extremely political in origin and history ... and in fact, the popular tradition makes sure that these are not heard or seen, but many folks stand out ... and some of them even stand for their old culture that has been destroyed or killed. Same thing for Argentina, whose indigenous population has been completely wiped out by the westerners that occupied it to steal the richness of the soil.

I can probably generalize a couple more from the films and their history ... since it is not too far in tradition and you can see the differences real quick. But you can see, for example, the very harsh divisions in culture in places like (the old) Soviet Union between their many areas ... and the films always showed you many of these and many of the issues at work here and the good, the bad, the ugly ... and the horrific! I can not imagine their music not having the same similar concepts, since their literature sure does!
www.pedrosena.com
aldri7 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2013 at 00:53
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Originally posted by aginor aginor wrote:

I have to be honest abou this, and that is that i also think there is also a influence from bard traditions in prog as well,in both English prog and also Scandinavian, the bards ballad style, as ballads is a different style as folk and classical is different, styles, and ballad style is very popular amon the early prog, the telling of a story, of romantic and epic realations,

to me Ian Anderson ans Peter Gabriel, were to me modern bards (court bards). with their flutes, or lutes, or acoustic guitar.

Aginor ... that's way too educated and knowledgeable for a supposedly progressive board. Now stop that or people will think that we are insulting their intelligence!!!!  Confused   Wink 

Well I was sort of searching for something like this when I asked what the tradition was that these guys (Ian Anderson, Peter Gabriel) were drawing upon with their prog. So that is good to know, because for me over here in the USA, I can sense these influences but i don't really know them first hand. I think though that I was also referring specifically to the classic prog vocal style, and if anyone could trace that to a particular bard poet or singer or whatever, that would be really cool....

Moshkito - nice to hear from another Portlander. :)  I tend to wonder what percentage of the people on this board are from the UK.  I met a guy on another board from the UK who said he thought the Northwest US was the only part of our country worth visiting. Why? You want the same weather that you have back home?? :)

aldri7
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2013 at 16:22
Originally posted by aginor aginor wrote:

I have to be honest abou this, and that is that i also think there is also a influence from bard traditions in prog as well,in both English prog and also Scandinavian, the bards ballad style, as ballads is a different style as folk and classical is different, styles, and ballad style is very popular amon the early prog, the telling of a story, of romantic and epic realations,

to me Ian Anderson ans Peter Gabriel, were to me modern bards (court bards). with their flutes, or lutes, or acoustic guitar.

Aginor ... that's way too educated and knowledgeable for a supposedly progressive board. Now stop that or people will think that we are insulting their intelligence!!!!  Confused   Wink 

It will be tomorrow of the day after, and Kanye West will be the next bard! .... and Gil Scott Heron, just another nobody!Wink
www.pedrosena.com
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2013 at 16:13

As I read this, I thought about the military and pictured soldiers marching to a strict beat. I never really thought about that before with respects to music and the upper and lower class. Uniforms helped too..:) You know, I suppose there was a time in our not too distant past when the only music with drums and a strict beat was marching music (fife and drums, etc)   And from there, we evolved and drums became standard in dance music as well. 

And so I googled this up. From the 16th to 19th century, military units usually had a drum corp which were used to aid troop movements in the field. it was also called "field music". And from there, marching bands, marching music etc evolved. And so to the aristocratic class, you can easily see how drums came to have an important role in their scheme of things - it was used to keep others in line.

And then throw in the fact that drums and drumming has a long history of practice in less developed countries - Africa, Asia, South America. So to the upper class, drumming probably at some point (19th century maybe during the global expansion) came to be associated with tribal cultures, uneducated masses to be controlled etc. And the first use of drums in western culture for dancing - (Strauss wrote waltzes but didn't score them for base drum..:)) - I don't know. Anyone? Was that a black influence in America or were they doing it before then? I kind of wish I had a time machine and I could go back to about 1910 or so, when Professer Hill in the Music Man was railing against ragtime..
Also, consider the evolution of the drug culture in western society which probably sort of paralleled the rise of dancing to the beat, jazz, etc. and then rock.

Excellent ... I've always tried to put that in perspective if I could, but the history of music is not as good in a book as Jensen's History of Art is ... one of my favorite books of all time.  I really think that we need a couple more folks in here that work/mention history a bit more ... for perspective.

soggy Oregon ...

It's been a dry season, man ... us here in PDX/ Vancouver are about 3 inches behind normal rain fall for this year already with only 8 weeks gone by!  The water table is still an inch up for the water year, though ... so the salmon might still make the trip up the river!

Edited by moshkito - March 02 2013 at 16:20
www.pedrosena.com
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2013 at 15:52
Originally posted by Sumdeus Sumdeus wrote:

I think the key with krautrock was that while British bands were trying to make really complex and interesting rock music, the Germans were trying to make something completely their own and were going out of their way to not sound like rock'n'roll and to not sound like anything really

All you have to do is hear Edgar Froese's words on the Krautrock special ... you will reword this and understand it a lot better!
www.pedrosena.com
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2013 at 21:16

speaking of prog from the USA - when I came here, I pretty much expected that Orchestra Luna, a 70's prog band from Boston, would be listed here. Its not. Sometimes they just go by "Luna". Anyway, they remained active through the 1980's and went through a lot of personnel changes. But they never were more than just a regional band. OVer at Grooveshark I found some of their early tracks which I listened to eagerly since I never had actually heard their music. It sounded almost like firesign theatre put to music. Very different. Raucous, irreverent, but not always to my liking musically. I wonder if anyone else knows of them here. I knew one of their guitar players as I went to hight school with him.

aldri7

Interesting....if anyone wants to hear you can Google "Orchestra Luna 1974" and it will pop up the whole album.  Here's a sample

aldri7 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2013 at 20:55
speaking of prog from the USA - when I came here, I pretty much expected that Orchestra Luna, a 70's prog band from Boston, would be listed here. Its not. Sometimes they just go by "Luna". Anyway, they remained active through the 1980's and went through a lot of personnel changes. But they never were more than just a regional band. OVer at Grooveshark I found some of their early tracks which I listened to eagerly since I never had actually heard their music. It sounded almost like firesign theatre put to music. Very different. Raucous, irreverent, but not always to my liking musically. I wonder if anyone else knows of them here. I knew one of their guitar players as I went to hight school with him.

aldri7

Edited by aldri7 - February 23 2013 at 20:56
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>