Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2013 at 05:39
Originally posted by octopus-4 octopus-4 wrote:

Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

Always a pleasure guys!

I really can't be bothered going on about this anymore! Just take a search on Google and you'll find endless comments/reviews that have come to the same conclusions about the similarites! It wasn't me who just all of a sudden cracked the code and came up with this `controversial' opinion!

To my ears, from the VERY FIRST LISTEN I thought `Hmmm, that's a shame they stuck to the Genesis/Suppers Ready' template there', so it's odd that on REPEATED listens you still can't detect it!

Either way, `Dark Matter' is a terrific album, and a few slight influences from a band they obviously love is totally insignificant.

And honestly, I don't have deodorant strong enough to last me the length it will take to reach an amicable conclusion over this matter, which is truly nearing the `beating a dead horse' stage!

If anything, time to get back to the original topic instead of pointless stubbornness that's going around in circles!

If you think I am simply being stubborn then I am little disappointed in you. Oh well,  live and let live.

Oh man, I just don't want this blowing up into `a thing'!

The Archives the last few days has been awful with all this tension, so we don't need more of that. I come here to get AWAY from tension and drama!

More of this would be better! -->

The Souls have been harvested,the supper was ready so Grendel has eaten it Tongue
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2013 at 05:46
Now, Octopus, we're trying to downplay similarities to Genesis here!

Snow, but I never was after the last word on the subject lol!! I don't feel the need to `never rest until I've proven you and Hercules wrong', etc! I only gave my opinion where I felt the piece was similar, but I've already explained that it never `ruined' the fine album for me, and you clearly have your own opinions on the matter, which is fine too!
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2013 at 05:52
If you ask me (which no-one has....) I say that I.Q. (and/or) Marillion are what Genesis should've sounded like in the 80's, had Gabriel and Hackett not bailed and have Disney Collins lead the remnants to the commercial slaughterhouse of the babbling masses...........give me 'The Wake' over 'Invisible Douche' anyday.......
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2013 at 05:54
^Give me both.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2013 at 06:00
Now, Tom, Banks and Rutherford clearly walked hand in hand with Tarzan Collins into that `commercial slaughterhouse' together...probably skipping, too!

Man, `The Wake'! Perfect example of how good and original great `Neo-Prog' can be....I love that almost New-Wave vocal Nicholls uses on that album, really gives it a lot of unique identity. Very individual and original sounding album from them!
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2013 at 06:09

Now, Tom, Banks and Rutherford clearly walked hand in hand with Tarzan Collins into that `commercial slaughterhouse' together...probably skipping, too!

Man, `The Wake'! Perfect example of how good and original great `Neo-Prog' can be....I love that almost New-Wave vocal Nicholls uses on that album, really gives it a lot of unique identity. Very individual and original sounding album from them!
Yes it is - and Orford uses both vintage keys and some modern gear - great sounds.  And I picture maybe Rutherford and Collins skipping, with Banks in tow considering the potential dosh factor - hey, who wants to work hard for big bucks anyway ???? 
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2013 at 06:11
Genesis didn't work hard. That's a good one.Confused Ok, stop bashing Genesis now.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2013 at 06:16

^Give me both.
Give me 'Genesis' from 1983, or even 'We Can't Dance' over I.T. anyday.  I worship Genesis, 'Domino' was the only worthwhile piece that was remotely Proggy on I.T. 
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2013 at 06:19
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

^Give me both.
Give me 'Genesis' from 1983, or even 'We Can't Dance' over I.T. anyday.  I worship Genesis, 'Domino' was the only worthwhile piece that was remotely Proggy on I.T. 

The Brazilian and Tonight......weren't?Unhappy
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2013 at 06:22
Now, Tom, I always thought you more or less defended those later 80's onwards Genesis albums, at least for the better stuff on them! I know I have! Phil and co had every right to move in whatever direction they damn well pleased!

Who knows, perhaps to top-40 loving pop audiences `Invisible Touch' and so on might have come across as a deeply involved, complex and `daring' pop album, the likes of which commercial audiences had not heard before.....Oh God, I'm kind of rambling and reaching now, right?

At least during that period IQ, Pendragon, Marillion, etc were offering more involving yet accessible albums with stronger progressive elements in addition to the poppy stuff to keep us happy!
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2013 at 06:39

If you ask me (which no-one has....) I say that I.Q. (and/or) Marillion are what Genesis should've sounded like in the 80's, had Gabriel and Hackett not bailed and have Disney Collins lead the remnants to the commercial slaughterhouse of the babbling masses...........give me 'The Wake' over 'Invisible Douche' anyday.......
I would place all of IQ's output over Genesis after W&W, and who wouldn't - Genesis decided that their old fans should be consigned to history and set about entertaining a whole lot of teeny boppers whilst trousering huge wads of cash.......Which was then extracted from Coliins by a series of ever younger short term wives...ho hum....
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2013 at 06:41
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

^Give me both.

The Brazilian and Tonight......weren't?Unhappy
Yeah, I suppose, but that's it.  Then again, I'm a big fan of Chicago 16...........Confused - maybe most of Invisible Touch has been overplayed to death to the point that I just can't dig it anymore ???
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2013 at 06:48

Genesis didn't work hard. That's a good one.Confused Ok, stop bashing Genesis now.
What I meant was, considering the complexity of the music - Tonight (x3) just doesn't demand the technical prowess that Cinema Show has - therefore the band doesn't have to stretch their talents (so to speak...).  No bashings here, just some thoughts.  I'll bash someone like James Blunt, though.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2013 at 06:51

Now, Tom, I always thought you more or less defended those later 80's onwards Genesis albums, at least for the better stuff on them! I know I have! Phil and co had every right to move in whatever direction they damn well pleased!

Who knows, perhaps to top-40 loving pop audiences `Invisible Touch' and so on might have come across as a deeply involved, complex and `daring' pop album, the likes of which commercial audiences had not heard before.....Oh God, I'm kind of rambling and reaching now, right?

At least during that period IQ, Pendragon, Marillion, etc were offering more involving yet accessible albums with stronger progressive elements in addition to the poppy stuff to keep us happy!
Dude, yes I defend Genesis, but I have problems with Invisible Touch - I'm sure I've voiced it loud......
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2013 at 09:31

ClapClapClapClapClap

I fully agree

octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2013 at 09:58
Originally posted by Ivan_Melgar_M Ivan_Melgar_M wrote:

ClapClapClapClapClap

I fully agree
me too
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2013 at 14:02
I loathe the continual sniping at Genesis post 1978. They gave me a lot of great music which I continue to enjoy to this day. Actually, I find that sniping rather intellectually lazy, given that all three of them were responsible for the 
latter albums. Not just Collins.

What about Grendel and Harvest of Souls? Both are clearly influenced by Genesis, of that there is no doubt. Actually, I find the two tracks in question to be miles apart in terms of quality and production values. Grendel was the b side of Market Square Heroes. It was a statement by Marillion of their influences, but, in truth, it doesn't even begin to compare with the band's latter output, even with Fish, let alone Hogarth.

IQ have never hidden the origins of their influence. However, I tend to agree with Ian here. It is plain that Harvest of Souls is influenced by "classic" Genesis. It is probably my most played track by the band, and no matter how many times I listen to it, I could never, ever, state that it is a Suppers Ready "copy". It stands alone fine as a fine piece of music in its own right, and I love it even more for that. In other words, they took a basic template, and stamped their own authority on it, which is as good a definition of neo as I could hope to give. 
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2013 at 14:17

I loathe the continual sniping at Genesis post 1978. They gave me a lot of great music which I continue to enjoy to this day. Actually, I find that sniping rather intellectually lazy, given that all three of them were responsible for the 

What about Grendel and Harvest of Souls? Both are clearly influenced by Genesis, of that there is no doubt. Actually, I find the two tracks in question to be miles apart in terms of quality and production values. Grendel was the b side of Market Square Heroes. It was a statement by Marillion of their influences, but, in truth, it doesn't even begin to compare with the band's latter output, even with Fish, let alone Hogarth.

IQ have never hidden the origins of their influence. However, I tend to agree with Ian here. It is plain that Harvest of Souls is influenced by "classic" Genesis. It is probably my most played track by the band, and no matter how many times I listen to it, I could never, ever, state that it is a Suppers Ready "copy". It stands alone fine as a fine piece of music in its own right, and I love it even more for that. In other words, they took a basic template, and stamped their own authority on it, which is as good a definition of neo as I could hope to give. 
Great post although Orford at the time was not happy about the comparisons being drawn between IQ's music and Genesis. He actually stated it was a complete coincidence because IQ had exactly the same make up in terms of numbers and instruments being played. I found it a bit fishy at the time and still do tbh.But  IQ are and will remain one of my favourite bands. BTW they followed their own template on Frequency and it worked brilliantly.
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2013 at 14:19
IQ are one of my favourite discovery's of the of the  last 15 years. It is such a shame I never heard of them  in the eighties.
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2013 at 14:21
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Great post although Orford at the time was not happy about the comparisons being drawn between IQ's music and Genesis. He actually stated it was a complete coincidence because IQ had exactly the same make up in terms of numbers and instruments being played. I found it a bit fishy at the time and still do tbh.But  IQ are and will remain one of my favourite bands. BTW they followed their own template on Frequency and it worked brilliantly.

And this is a great postClap I could not agree with you more re Frequency, which is a stunningly original piece of work. I am really looking forward to the follow up.

Can I also say that Orford's The Old Road remains one of my favourite albums of all time? I do so much hope that the retirement will be temporary. Obviously, a return to IQ will not happen, but there is surely room for both in this musical world?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 14>