Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTalk Talk

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2013 at 12:31
Originally posted by TheProgtologist TheProgtologist wrote:

Love Talk Talk,and I think their brilliant The Colour of Spring album is one of the best pop albums ever made.

Me too!
Open the gates of the city wide....
Check out my music taste: http://www.last.fm/user/TakeshiKovacs/
Sergey Lenkov View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2013 at 11:20
Thank you, Jude111!Smile
stegor View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2013 at 19:38
It took me years to fully appreciate Spirit of Eden. I was a big fan of their previous albums, especially Colour of Spring, and then came this abstract expressionistic thing that I wasn't sure how to take. I knew there was something there but it wasn't getting through to me right away. I forced myself to listen to it for a while. Then Laughing Stock came out and it was more of the same, so obviously there was no going back. These albums had no precedent to provide a frame of reference.
When the appreciation finally hit me was one day when I had it turned way up and the transition from minimal ambience to grinding metal came on at the end of "Desire" and it sent the shivers up my spine, and the creepy crawlies down my lager and lime.
Floyd Steely View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2013 at 20:45
Originally posted by warrplayer warrplayer wrote:

Don't forget the offshoot project O'Rang. Their only album 'Herd of Instinct'.   Which is where the band HOI got their name.

Oh, snap! I'd never heard of O'Rang, but on first listen... WOW! I'm immediately far more in love with this than with Talk Talk. What a shame the album appears to be rare and out-of-print.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2013 at 21:00
Originally posted by stegor stegor wrote:

It took me years to fully appreciate Spirit of Eden. I was a big fan of their previous albums, especially Colour of Spring, and then came this abstract expressionistic thing that I wasn't sure how to take. I knew there was something there but it wasn't getting through to me right away. I forced myself to listen to it for a while. Then Laughing Stock came out and it was more of the same, so obviously there was no going back. These albums had no precedent to provide a frame of reference.
When the appreciation finally hit me was one day when I had it turned way up and the transition from minimal ambience to grinding metal came on at the end of "Desire" and it sent the shivers up my spine, and the creepy crawlies down my lager and lime.

I felt the same way............took me awhile to 'get into it'.
Hollis was into heroin for awhile and I wonder if that affected the more quiet / slower  musical direction.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
stegor View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2013 at 22:08
I've read that it was Mark Hollis' brother, who died from a heroin overdose, that is the subject of the heroin references rather than Mark himself. There is definitely something tortured in the vocals on the last 2 albums. Probably  the most emotional vocals I've ever heard.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2013 at 10:11

I've read that it was Mark Hollis' brother, who died from a heroin overdose, that is the subject of the heroin references rather than Mark himself. There is definitely something tortured in the vocals on the last 2 albums. Probably  the most emotional vocals I've ever heard.

It was implied in several articles back then that I read in some rock mags  but it was unclear and it probably related to his brother.
I've never heard his solo lp....while I like some of the material on the last 2 Talk Talk lp's at times they seem really slow to me.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Fox On The Rocks View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2013 at 20:45
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

It was implied in several articles back then that I read in some rock mags  but it was unclear and it probably related to his brother.
I've never heard his solo lp....while I like some of the material on the last 2 Talk Talk lp's at times they seem really slow to me.

I Believe In You is about heroin OD, I guess his brother's. It's quite prevalent in the lyrics, check it out.
Rando View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2013 at 08:34
I'm so glad TALK TALK was finally given notice here. To me they were one of the best bands of the 80's, but I always felt were overshadowed at the time by the more poppy commercial bands like DURAN DURAN, Culture Club, etc. It didn't matter I always felt these guys were in a special league of their own, and on a much different musical plain and path as evidenced with each album.
Mark Hollis' voice was so powerful & passionate but always with a tinge of melancholy, (despair?) I don't know what was transpiring within the band's psyche to evolve musically as they did. Spirit of Eden is timeless and beautiful, need I say more."The Party's Over" is still one of my favorite earlier songs with its synth layered intro, I still feel "My Foolish Friend," "Such A Shame," "It's My Life," and "Living In Another World," are some of their most powerful (and meaningful) music.
I will never forgive NO DOUBT for their horrible & insulting cover of "It's My Life!" Ouch
- Music is Life, that's why our hearts have beats -
stegor View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2013 at 23:28
Talk Talk was often compared to some of those more popular bands like Duran Duran, but I never felt like they were overshadowed by them. They were in a different category, along with Japan. The only thing they had in common with bands like Culture Club was the decade.
Nov View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2013 at 17:26
Originally posted by Rando Rando wrote:

I still feel "My Foolish Friend," "Such A Shame," "It's My Life," and "Living In Another World," are some of their most powerful (and meaningful) music.
Good shout on all those tracks.

When they played Living In Another World when I saw them in London in 1986, it was one of the best live moments I have ever experienced Wink

In fact, here it is (you might even hear me whistling Big smile):

Listen to the applause at the end - it was long, emotional and heart-felt.

Edited by Nov - June 04 2013 at 17:29
stegor View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2013 at 19:24
^ What a voice. Such a shame he hung it up. In an interview in Mojo, referring to his one-note solo on After the Flood with the malfunctioning instrument the name of which escapes me at the mome, "After one note there are no notes."
Rando View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2013 at 00:44
Originally posted by Nov Nov wrote:

I still feel "My Foolish Friend," "Such A Shame," "It's My Life," and "Living In Another World," are some of their most powerful (and meaningful) music.
Good shout on all those tracks.

When they played Living In Another World when I saw them in London in 1986, it was one of the best live moments I have ever experienced Wink

In fact, here it is (you might even hear me whistling Big smile):

Listen to the applause at the end - it was long, emotional and heart-felt.

Thank You! For the 'Live in London' upload! I wish I had been there. Living in Another World  is definitely one of their best songs with a very powerul chorus. Mark Hollis' voice is so evoking, powerful and yes, emotional. A great performance to a great song and show it must have been. I wish they had released a live album.
Yes, I listened to the much deserved applause, did they do an encore? I'm not sure if they toured over here to California. If they did I'm so sorry I missed them.
Although, I'm still trying to hear your whistling! Big smile Clap 
- Music is Life, that's why our hearts have beats -
Nov View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2013 at 04:13

Thank You! For the 'Live in London' upload!
My pleasure Wink

Quote I wish I had been there. Living in Another World  is definitely one of their best songs with a very powerul chorus. Mark Hollis' voice is so evoking, powerful and yes, emotional. A great performance to a great song and show it must have been. I wish they had released a live album.
You mean you don't know about this?:

It's a tad expensive though Wink

Alternatively, PM me your address and I'll send you a copy Smile

Quote Yes, I listened to the much deserved applause, did they do an encore?
The encore was "Renee" which ended the evening on a gorgeous mellow note.

Quote I'm not sure if they toured over here to California. If they did I'm so sorry I missed them.
I don't know if they ever played in the States Ermm

Quote Although, I'm still trying to hear your whistling! Big smile Clap 
I'm sure it's there somewhere - I was dead centre in the 2nd row Wink Smile

Chris S View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2013 at 04:57
Originally posted by King Only King Only wrote:

Originally posted by Ady Cardiac Ady Cardiac wrote:

does anyone know where i can listen to the first album by "orang" on the internet?.....it was the band formed by the other two members when mark hollis split talk talk.

Awesome material, I never knew this side project existed- thanks
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]
the only sane man View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2013 at 07:24
Brilliant band, and good to see so many people on here agreeing.

However, when they supported Genesis at Milton Keynes bowl in 82, if my memory serves me correctly, they went down like a lead balloon! Confused
Nov View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2013 at 03:49
Originally posted by the only sane man the only sane man wrote:

Brilliant band, and good to see so many people on here agreeing.

However, when they supported Genesis at Milton Keynes bowl in 82, if my memory serves me correctly, they went down like a lead balloon! Confused
Yes indeed.

I was there and was really enjoying them until they got bottled off by the knuckle-heads.

They just shouldn't have been on the bill to be honest because at the time they were kind of considered (by Joe Public) to be Duran Duran wannabes so not quite the right image to present to early Genesis fans Wink

Edited by Nov - June 06 2013 at 03:52
stegor View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2013 at 23:22
Genesis: Misunderstanding, Turn it on Again, Abacab
Talk Talk: It's So Serious, Hate, The Party's Over

Talk Talk was yet to reach their peak, Genesis was long past theirs. I'd have booed Genesis.
Nov View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2013 at 03:55

Genesis: Misunderstanding, Turn it on Again, Abacab
Talk Talk: It's So Serious, Hate, The Party's Over

Talk Talk was yet to reach their peak, Genesis was long past theirs. I'd have booed Genesis.
Ah, but this was the reunion concert with Peter Gabriel where Genesis offered to bail him out when the first WOMAD festival lost a shed load of money Wink

Apart from Solsbury Hill and Turn It On Again, the entire set was from the Gabriel era Wink

Earthmover View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2013 at 17:43
Laughing Stock > every single Genesis and Yes album combined.
A top 10 album. A desert island album.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>