Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRiverside 2013

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2013 at 11:42
^ Try their last album, or their recent EP.

I think Second-Life Syndrome is the best album of their first 3.
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2013 at 12:05
I decided to finally get around to listening to the new album on Spotify. I'm really liking it so far. I'll be sure to pick this one up sooner or later.

Edited by darkshade - February 09 2013 at 12:06
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2013 at 12:22
This album is pretty friggin good. I don't understand what's so disappointing about it....
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2013 at 12:35
Originally posted by darkshade darkshade wrote:

^ This has been a problem with most prog bands. If they keep a similar sound, fans say they're not being progressive. When a band does mix it up, fans act disappointed and write the band off.

It has to be said that ADHD was a definite change in direction for the band that worked really well for them.

I havent heard the album yet but I've got it on order since I'm going to see them in March and would like to know the new material. Not expecting a masterpiece since as a rule I prefer heavy Riverside to soft Riverside.

Oh, and as for your previous comment about Opeth releasing softer albums and being hailed as a masterpiece, I hate Damnation and dont like Heritage all that much, bring back the death metal!
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2013 at 12:37
So far, it seems like the new album is a nice balance between the heavier ADHD and the more atmospheric earlier albums, with more upfront keys, somewhat catchy vocal melodies, and lots of rockin' moments.
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2013 at 12:47
I'm liking the sax on "Deprived (Irretrievably Lost Imagination)"
progger7 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2013 at 15:21

I'm liking the sax on "Deprived (Irretrievably Lost Imagination)"

yeah me too! I felt like this song could be in a Bond movie too. haha LOL
MillsLayne View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2013 at 16:50

This album is pretty friggin good. I don't understand what's so disappointing about it....

It's awesome, IMO.  I've only listened to it in full three times, but it keeps getting better with every listen.  The bonus tracks on the second disc were a slight disappointment, though.   
AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2013 at 20:46
^^^^ I had not heard the bonus tracks but some reviewers think they were ambient and psychedelic with spacey textures, unlike the rest of the album. I am nnot sure whether to shell out for the expanded edition or not. 

For what its worth I was not disappointed at all with the SONGS album, it is as good as one would hope for Riverside that are always developing their sound, not so metal these days but still incredible music. Similar to Opeth in a way, perhaps metal is changing too it would seem. A lot of metal Bands are getting in to more symphonic music, yet maintaining a hard edge. I think metal bands are experimenting with more than justthe basic thrash and growl, even Morbid Angel did this on their latest, and of course it didnt work but at least they broke the mould from their usial thrash and growl; one of the funniest things is to read the reviews of the album, gut busting stuff.

Back to Riverside though, this latest album is a thing of beauty; one of the best of the year in the early stages. More 5 star albums are to come hopefully, but Riverside have set the bar very high.
MillsLayne View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2013 at 21:38
Originally posted by AtomicCrimsonRush AtomicCrimsonRush wrote:

^^^^ I had not heard the bonus tracks but some reviewers think they were ambient and psychedelic with spacey textures, unlike the rest of the album. I am nnot sure whether to shell out for the expanded edition or not. 

They weren't bad and I'm sure I'll appreciate them after a few listens, but it just wasn't what I was expecting.  I think what I was disappointed in with the bonus tracks was the lack of vocals.  When I hear Riverside, Mariusz's vocals are like another instrument to me, a trademark of the band.  Since I do like ambience and space rock, I will come to like or even love these tracks, but with the initial listen and kind expecting something else, I was left a little disappointed.
dennismoore View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2013 at 08:49
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Back when the Crossover Team was just Micky and I, I made the observation that MySpace was useless for evaluating Prog Bands, this became what Micky termed Dean's Law: bands put their most accessible/commercial songs on the Internet. Great for selling an album, poor for deciding how Prog it is (and that in itself is a somewhat insular act, liking an album shouldn't be predicated on how Prog it is).

I started playing it in the car and then the car had to go back to the dealer on a factory recall before it had finished. Foolishly I forgot to remove the CD beforehand.

Hi Dean,   Tongue

"Dean's Law"Clap, that applies to youtube and most of today's social media.  That brings up a paradox.  Listeners
can't possibly discern a quality musical contribution while scanning youtube or the like. Prog bands complain they can't sell a progressive(less commercial) record.  Yet bands still rely on social media to get the word out. The two continue and we are stuck in that loop.

The computer is invaluable for information but sucks crap for music(unless the PC is a HTPC) as most people have garbage plastic speakers(AND no amp) on their PC.   Perhaps we all need to fashion our computers adjacent to our stereos???

Participate in forums and learn about music on the computer....
Actually listen to the music from start to finish on the stereo...

I know I am a radical, sorry....

By the way, your avatar....  What happened to that nice picture of your friend playing the sax???

Oh, leaving the CD in the car at the repair shop was a rookie mistake, laddie!   That's why I always burn copies
and play the CD-R in the car. Wink

Oh, on topic: I ordered the CD, lookin forward to it.
"Yeah, people are unhappy about that - but you know what, it's still Yes." - Chris Squire
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2013 at 09:29
Originally posted by dennismoore dennismoore wrote:

The computer is invaluable for information but sucks crap for music(unless the PC is a HTPC) as most people have garbage plastic speakers(AND no amp) on their PC.   Perhaps we all need to fashion our computers adjacent to our stereos???

Participate in forums and learn about music on the computer....
Actually listen to the music from start to finish on the stereo...

I know I am a radical, sorry....
You're making assumptions about something I've very little experience in - I don't know how people listen to music on their PCs and I'm not going to start guessing. All I would assume they have systems that reproduce the sounds they like in a manner that pleases them.

Reading what the young folk on this site use, mosty seem to favour headphones for listening to music and whether that's from a dedicated CD player, an mp3 player or a PC then it's all going to sound pretty reasonable. Even if that's not audiophilist levels, anyone should be able to tell whether they like something or not by that approach.

From my own experience: my desk-top PC is plumbed into my hi-fi using a very expensive sound card, my laptop drives some 6" bookshelf speakers via a 10W valve/tube amplifier, before that I used some very nice amplified Kenwood speakers they sold for use in their portable CD players - or I use some moderately priced headphones. None of these things are rocket science and anyone and everyone can do it, so I assume that if people wanted to they would.
Originally posted by dennismoore dennismoore wrote:

By the way, your avatar....  What happened to that nice picture of your friend playing the sax???

At the moment I prefer Delia Derbyshire to Danielle Dax.
What?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2013 at 19:42
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

You're making assumptions about something I've very little experience in - I don't know how people listen to music on their PCs and I'm not going to start guessing. All I would assume they have systems that reproduce the sounds they like in a manner that pleases them.

Reading what the young folk on this site use, mosty seem to favour headphones for listening to music and whether that's from a dedicated CD player, an mp3 player or a PC then it's all going to sound pretty reasonable. Even if that's not audiophilist levels, anyone should be able to tell whether they like something or not by that approach.

From my own experience: my desk-top PC is plumbed into my hi-fi using a very expensive sound card, my laptop drives some 6" bookshelf speakers via a 10W valve/tube amplifier, before that I used some very nice amplified Kenwood speakers they sold for use in their portable CD players - or I use some moderately priced headphones. None of these things are rocket science and anyone and everyone can do it, so I assume that if people wanted to they would.

I was not making assumptions and I certainly wasn't thinking of you when I was talking about "cheap plastic speakers" I am glad to hear of your fine set-up and would have expected nothing less from a cat like yourself.   As far as my "assumptions".  They were not.  They are my observations over the last 20 years that the PC has been with us. I do IT and am exposed to hundreds/thousands? of users at work and at their homes.  It is shocking to know what plastic sonic garbage (literally) that people use these days to listen to music.  Not a judgement, just a professional observation.

The crap headphones that most people use with their MP3 players are not even worth mentioning....  And I am no hi-fi snob at all.  I have a modest 5.1 system at home that a real hi-fi snob would vomit on probably.... It doesn't take
much to come up with something like you have quite frankly....

Oh dear God,  I was totally serious in this post?  Wat is it when I talk with you... I can't do any of the usual crazy
DennisMoore stuff....

Cheers,

DM

"Yeah, people are unhappy about that - but you know what, it's still Yes." - Chris Squire
Jbird View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2013 at 12:28
Bought it yesterday and gave it one listen so far.

I like it a lot, and I tend to prefer heavier music. No, it's not near as heavy as ADHD, but it's very good. I love the acoustic songs..... Smile
peart_lee_lifeson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2013 at 22:48
At this point, I've learned it's best not to say much about an album after the first listen.  Even if you THINK you absolutely hate it, give it another spin (or two) and see what you think.  My mind has been changed time and time again with various music just by simply giving it more of an opportunity.  So, guess I'll have to give it a couple more listens until I can post anything worthwhile.  Wink
PROG ON!!!
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2013 at 10:24
I love Riverside, I can safely say up to this album all their CDs get a lot of playtime on my system. I have downloaded the whole album and have yet decided whether I want to buy the vinyl version. I have listened 2x and not all that excited about it save for 2-3 songs.
As some state it may take some extra effort to fully appreciate...or not.

Dennismoore, this is not the website to discuss audio gear, this is a music website and because of that a large portion of members will listen however they can since part of this site is about exploring new music. You have to use Youtube, Spotify and other online music sites to hear new stuff..Its an inexpensive to zero cost way to hear new music without plopping down $15 for a CD that you may not like.

Hi fi snob?? You might be considered a PC snob Big smile.....I have a crappy laptop with crappy speakers, now I do zero music listening from my PC, but it does help me rip my CD collection in lossless format so I can play thru my home system and get the best sound possible...but it is still a crappy PC.
We are all audiophiles, we listen to music in the best possible way we can that helps us appreciate the music...that is an audiophile.
There is substance to your basic idea of how what you listen to music on, but not for discussion on this site....This is s music discovery site.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2013 at 15:36
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Dennismoore, this is not the website to discuss audio gear...... 

There is substance to your basic idea of how what you listen to music on, but not for discussion on this site....This is s music discovery site.

Get up on the wrong side of the bed?   Too much rain up there in the PNW???

Relax Skippy, this is a public forum. 

My advice to you is break out your old LP of Hemispheres and blast it on that nice analog amp you have.
You will probably feel much better.   Cool

Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2013 at 00:19
^ Then please post away.......I was just expressing my opinion that I don't think you can tell people what/how they should listen to music on.
I will always buy the lowest priced, basic setup laptop I can get......and I will always spend more money on my audio gear than my PC gear, but that is by choice.

It does not rain in the PNW, that is a myth.......actually reverse that, we get a ton of rain (I tell people this all the time so people stay away and do not move here....we have enough people here LOL)

jdredfield View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2013 at 20:09
I agree. I don't know how many times i have hated an album and gone back years klater and loved it.
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2013 at 13:44
Gave the new album a listen last night, as my copy came in the mail yesterday. It really clicked for me, and seems like a good album to listen to at night. Not the most progressive album by them, the songs themselves more than make up for it. Very well written, and the last epic track is awesome.

The bonus disc is cool, nice background music of spacey/electronic music.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>