FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe Motorsport Thread 2013

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1415161718 30>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2013 at 06:10
Originally posted by Gerinski Gerinski wrote:

A question about the precise points of DRS activation / de-activation in F1.

If I'm right, at the detection point the gap to the car in front is measured and if it's within 1 second, telemetry from the race control will send some signal to the car which will enable the DRS mechanism (a light will be lit on the steering wheel informing the driver of enabled status). Unless such as signal has been received (gap too big or DRS not enabled by race control e.g. first 2 laps, bad weather etc), the driver may accidentally try to activate DRS but it will not work. Right? so no risk of mistake by the driver here.

Then, the main question regards the actual activation, which is done by the driver by a button on the steering wheel or a pedal in the Ferrari: there is a painted line on the track marking the allowed activation point. Is there any control that the driver does not activate DRS a bit earlier than crossing the line? and if so, how is that controlled?

As for deactivation, there is also a painted line marking the latest allowed point for DRS to remain open. I believe that DRS closing is triggered by either the driver releasing the button or whenever he touches the brakes. I presume that the deactivation line is always a bit later than the braking point so again so risk of mistake by the driver keeping it open for too long, right? for if not the same question arises, who and how would control that the driver does not keep DRS open a bit too long, surpassing the deactivation line?

Thanks

All trackside telemetry (timing and scoring, DRS, flag warning light system and Safety Car delta time system, maybe others I don't know about) is from a single system that up until the end of last year was provided by Magneti Marelli but was replaced this year by another company (I'll get back to that later).

Race Control has an override that can enable/disable the DRS for all cars, so when you see the "DRS activated" message on screen on lap 3 race control has literally just turned it on. They'll deactivate it if there's yellow flags in the DRS zone,  the safety car has been deployed or bad weather, and reactivate it if the flags have been removed, on the 3rd lap after the SC comes in, or the track dries out (though given how ludicrously conservative  Charlie Whiting is with wet weather I wouldn't bet on that last one) So yes, unless race control has activated DRS there is no way the driver can activate it.

The detection and activation lines will have a transponder laid through them that will pick up the cars transponder as it passes over. That way race control, and more likely the computer system controlling the DRS activation, will instantly know if a chasing car is within 1 second of the car in front  and provide a light on the steering wheel informing the driver. As for the activation point, the system is set up so that the DRS cannot be opened before the car has passed that transponder, for example in Spain Mark Webber was pressing the button a few meters too early on a few laps not long after his first stop and so was not getting the DRS.

I don't know if their is a deactivation line for the DRS, I think the zone distance is measured from the activation line to either the turn in or apex of the corner. As you say, either releasing the activation button or pressing the brakes will automatically close the DRS. DRS works by shedding downforce, and therefore drag, but this downforce is needed for the braking so the drivers will automatically release the system before the braking zone, or there's no way in hell they'll make the corner. Witness Schumachers retirement from Montreal last year when his DRS jammed open on his run to the turns 8/9 chicane and he went skating off over the grass, though Alonso didn't go flying off in Bahrain when his system jammed open because turn 11 is pretty fast to begin with.

I mentioned the change in telemetry supplier earlier. It has to be said that Monaco was probably the first race all year that the system has worked as it's supposed to. For Australia to Bahrain there was no in car marshal flag warning system and race control didn't have the ability to turn off the DRS system once they'd activated it, leaving it entirely down to the judgement of the drivers once it was turned on on lap 3. It's because of this that nothing happened when half the grid was investigated for using DRS in the yellow flag area at the end of China's main straight (this included Button, who was leading at the time so there was no possible way he could have been using DRS without blatantly cheating anyway). In Spain the DRS part of the system was supposed to have been fixed but it broke down on Di Resta's car early in the race so he and Force India were having to judge for themselves whether or not they could use DRS and they put this as the main reason they couldn't get past Rosberg at the end.   
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2013 at 06:31
Great answer, I thought it would be you giving it, thanks! Just one small clarification:

Originally posted by sleeper sleeper wrote:

for example in Spain Mark Webber was pressing the button a few meters too early on a few laps not long after his first stop and so was not getting the DRS.
Do you mean if they press the button too early the DRS will not open at all? or it will open anyway automatically as they pass the activation transponder detector?
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2013 at 12:18
Yup, rain race is always good.
Within reason. If its sooo torrential they run a lot of yellows/red flag the race then yeah that sucks.

But a good rain race is always love < 3
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2013 at 13:21
Originally posted by Gerinski Gerinski wrote:

Great answer, I thought it would be you giving it, thanks! Just one small clarification:

for example in Spain Mark Webber was pressing the button a few meters too early on a few laps not long after his first stop and so was not getting the DRS.
Do you mean if they press the button too early the DRS will not open at all? or it will open anyway automatically as they pass the activation transponder detector?

I thought that question might have been aimed at me.Wink

It wont open at all.

Bottas 3rd!!Clap

JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2013 at 12:11
WOW.
That is one helluva result.

Hoping for another epic Canadian GP.
I'll be out so I needa catch the re play aka I wont be on here/the internet in general LOL
I always forget I have Alonso and Kimi liked on FB so if I accidentally see their page pop up it spoils the results!
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2013 at 16:07
Excellent drives from Vettel, Alonso, Vergne and Di Resta, surprised at just how bad McLaren were this weekend and a shame to see Bottas drop so far back, that Williams just isnt fast.

Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2013 at 16:47
Great drive by Alonso but yeah, Vettel and starting from pole, there was nothing he could do.
Disappointing results for Lotus, not sure if they got it right having Kimi on just 1 stop.
And also a bit surprising the differences in pace, surely it's a short circuit but even Vergne finishing 6th was lapped!
Great control by Sutil when he spun and managed to keep going, man these guys can drive!
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2013 at 19:26
I've just read a marshal died after the race. He tripped whilst trying to retrieve a dropped radio and was run over by the recovery crane, driver not being able to see him, after Gutierrez crash 7 laps from the end. He was rushed to hospital but died from his injuries.

RIP.

JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2013 at 19:37
Pretty solid race.
Only real surprise is Vergne, great race!
6th place! Best result of his career

Edit: sh*t, that's dreadful. RIP

Edited by JJLehto - June 09 2013 at 19:38
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2013 at 19:44

I've just read a marshal died after the race. He tripped whilst trying to retrieve a dropped radio and was run over by the recovery crane, driver not being able to see him, after Gutierrez crash 7 laps from the end. He was rushed to hospital but died from his injuries.RIP.

Oy!

That's crazy and saddening. RIP
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2013 at 18:47
Doh! Somehow forgot about Indy.....

Looks like Helio won! Quite a strong season he's having and finally a tad bit of breathing room on top of the points.
Awesome for Kanaan in third place, bringing him to 4th in the standings Approve
Marco still having a superbly solid year and Sato is hanging on in 5th. This is epic.
MillsLayne View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2013 at 23:16
It's a good season for IndyCar so far, but the Texas race was surprisingly boring.  I am happy about Helio and TK, though.  If Helio can get that illusive championship, this will have been a great year for me in IndyCar with TK already getting the Indy 500 win.
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2013 at 00:14
Originally posted by JJLehto JJLehto wrote:

Doh! Somehow forgot about Indy.....Looks like Helio won! Quite a strong season he's having and finally a tad bit of breathing room on top of the points. Awesome for Kanaan in third place, bringing him to 4th in the standings ApproveMarco still having a superbly solid year and Sato is hanging on in 5th. This is epic.

All these things make me explode with delight.
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2013 at 06:19
Here's the really surprising statistic of the year though, that was the first win for either Penske or Ganassi this year!

JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2013 at 13:00
yeah its just been a nutty season!
MillsLayne View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2013 at 00:55
Unfortunately, Team Penske and Helio were docked 15 points and $35,000 from a failed post-race inspection.  Bummer.

http://www.indycar.com/News/2013/06/6-11-Team-Penske-fined-for-technical-infraction

Edited by MillsLayne - June 12 2013 at 00:55
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2013 at 06:31
Does anybody else find it funny that they are being fined for an infringement that actually cost them downforce and added drag!

sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2013 at 06:36
Here we go, the first picture of Porsche's new LMP1 car, the first top class car they've built since the 911 GT1 of '98. Looks rather like the Audi R18 to be honest.

Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2013 at 10:45
Originally posted by MillsLayne MillsLayne wrote:

Unfortunately, Team Penske and Helio were docked 15 points and $35,000 from a failed post-race inspection.  Bummer.http://www.indycar.com/News/2013/06/6-11-Team-Penske-fined-for-technical-infraction

Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2013 at 10:45

Here we go, the first picture of Porsche's new LMP1 car, the first top class car they've built since the 911 GT1 of '98. Looks rather like the Audi R18 to be honest.

I'm dizzy...

but it's awesome.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1415161718 30>