Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedrecommend me more Gong please

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
crimson ancient View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: recommend me more Gong please
    Posted: February 15 2013 at 08:30
steve hillage - arzachel (1969)

daevid allen as a guest     http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=8495

gong live - 1971 - 1974 - the peel sessions
                 - 1971 - Glastonbury Fayre
                 - 1973 - Live au Bataclan
                 - 1974 - Oslo, Norway
                 - 1969 -  Haunted Chateau  live
                 - Gong - Live Etc
                 - Gong - In the 70s
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2013 at 11:18
Originally posted by Hawkwise Hawkwise wrote:

If you like Gong then you must check out Here and Now and maybe Kangaroo Moon. 

Here and Now's  Give and Take is a Must have album for any Gong Fan  along with Live Floating Anarchy .

And visit  

Thumbs Up Exactly what I recommended. Hawkwise, If you also enjoy that Floating Anarchy concert you should try Here & Now - Gospel Of Free concert. It's quite similar and very good.
Einsetumadur View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2013 at 09:41
Must-have:

KHAN's Space Shanty   - featuring Steve Hillage and Dave Stewart. Late incarnations of this band worked out the "Fish Rising" stuff; it might be that some of Hillage's 1973-74 Gong ideas also stem from un-used Khan sessions.

In my opinion Steve never was better. Smile
All in all each man in all men
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2013 at 09:25
Originally posted by Sumdeus Sumdeus wrote:

so from all these posts it seems I should just check out any Gong I can hehe. Thanks for the reccs guys, I'll get through em 
Sounds good, just do mine first Cool
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Hawkwise View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2013 at 09:20
If you like Gong then you must check out Here and Now and maybe Kangaroo Moon. 

Here and Now's  Give and Take is a Must have album for any Gong Fan  along with Live Floating Anarchy .

And visit  

Edited by Hawkwise - February 01 2013 at 09:23
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2013 at 08:33

so from all these posts it seems I should just check out any Gong I can hehe. Thanks for the reccs guys, I'll get through em 

I wouldn't do that. You could be wasting your money and truly not even wake up to that reality until months after owning certain titles by Gong that you begin to slightly dislike, developing boredom,..and contemplating if you should sell them whatever? It depends on you as a fanatic style person. I went fanatical over Gong and years later felt the need to understand what I disliked about their later releases like GONG 2000. It's a great effort with a modern sound/style and I don't play it often because I am stuck in the original Gong trilogy period. The very early days of Gong and the period just after "YOU" are also magical. You can't beat yourself up over issues like wasting money, but in the future you may realize that the money you spent on Gong albums which eventually become lack luster to you ...could have been spent on something else with finer results. I still own about 10 Gong cd's and respect their work.  I probably sold about 10 of their cd's. I have spent a fortune on Gong over the last 4 decades. The fan owning 10 cd's by Gong which are timeless is a very tuff goal for any band to accomplish . There was a complex nature about their compositions." A Sprinkling Of Clouds" which I used to count 1-2-3-4-5 (three times), and 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9 was such an atmospheric Jazz/Fusion type of piece. I love this band! 
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2013 at 04:35

It doesn't take much to notice (that aside from Shamal) you've already tried the best they have offer so anything else is either because you're a die-hard completist fan or a glutton for punishment.
What?
Sumdeus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2013 at 04:28
Sumdeus - surreal space/psych/prog journeys
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2013 at 18:33
I'm pretty fond of Daevid Allen's solo album Good Morning!
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2013 at 13:03
I can't believe no one has recommended Dashiell Hedayat's Obsolete yet!
Sure this is a French guy's solo album, but Gong were effectively his band at the time. For my money, it's up there with the very best of Gong releases. You also get to know just how wonderful Daevid Allen is on a wah wah pedal.

Allright I'm off again to the land of confusion where everyone you encounter hand you forms and charts to fill out..... uhm yummy bureaucracy.

Oh and before I forget about it - here are some tracks off of this fantastic 1971 psych album:

Edited by Guldbamsen - January 30 2013 at 15:00
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
akamaisondufromage View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2013 at 12:59
Sorry Dean the comment was aimed at the Doctor again!  but you managed to get in between
Help me I'm falling!
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2013 at 12:53
I was aware that the three albums had been mentioned before by other posters, I was simply pointing out that they are connected (no one had done that) and form the second trillogy in the Radio Gnome series (no one had done that).

Tongue
What?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2013 at 12:48
Well, at least you read the OP unlike Mr 'lazybones' Sleepy Slartibartfast. LOL
Help me I'm falling!
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2013 at 12:46
As you've already sampled the frist three parts of the Radio Gnome trillogy I'd suggest continuing with the remaining three parts: Shapeshifter, Zero to Infinity and 2032
What?
The Doctor View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2013 at 12:40
So he did. 
I can understand your anger at me, but what did the horse I rode in on ever do to you?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2013 at 12:33
Sagichim did!  2032 is very good.
Help me I'm falling!
The Doctor View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2013 at 12:30
I can't see where anyone has mentioned the latest Gong album with Daevid Allen, 2032.  Part of the Flying Teapot saga from 2008 or 2009, I think.  Not quite up there with the first three, but a pretty fine album ntl.
I can understand your anger at me, but what did the horse I rode in on ever do to you?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2013 at 12:27

I would also advise checking out some live GonG.  As Toddler says Live at Bataclan is fantastic stuff but I haven't found a hard copy yet I did download it off i tunes though.  Also hard to get hold of it Gong Live Etc which follows the band through the pre Radio Gnome / Radio Gnome/ and post Allen periods and shows off the best of all these eras.  It is not available at the moment though but if you find it on vinyl buy it!  Marvelous! 

Live in Sherwood Forest 75 is also interesting as it is GonG, but a mixture of old Gong Shamal GonG and Fish Rising Hillage.  Again though, Allen has left the roost! 

Help me I'm falling!
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2013 at 11:59
Hi,

The first couple of albums by Daevid Allen on his own are worth getting ... and "Good Morning" is a must have and one of the prettiest things ever.

The meditation stuff is too good!

Floating Anarchy is the best "acid rock" album I have ever heard ... and Ali Baba can blast my ears off and I'm thinking of having it played during my funeral and if they don't, the folks in charge will regret it ... with a pox worse than Shakespeare's!

Green by Steve Hillage is a fabulous album ... and produced by Nick Mason ... excellent stuff and beautifully recorded!

Mother Gong, always ... love Gilly! And I'm a Wild Child!

Steffi has a couple of solos and GLO with Gilly ... very fine

Didier's solos are jazz, and I have not clicked with them much.

Must GET: Michael Oldfield's DVD ... Exposed ... so you can see Pierre Moerlin in action ... and how well he fit with Mike and how well he helps the piece come alive ... It is, by far, the best DVD with Pierre that you will EVER see and worth every penny, though him and his family will never make a cent off it!

Edited by moshkito - January 30 2013 at 12:00
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2013 at 08:27

so each time I try some Gong I love it more and more and I decided it is high time i see what else I need to check out to have a full proper understanding of the band.

I have Magick Brother, Camembert Electrique, and the three Radio Gnome Invisible records which I all really love, and Gazeuse!, Expresso II, and Downwind for Pierre Moerlen's Gong which is cool too. Now, I dig Morlen's fusion Gong but it is the Daevid Allen Gong which I really love and I want to know what other records are worth checking out. I know that after Daevid split there was the whole Mother Gong thing which I haven't heard any of and I've also heard something about a collaboration with Acid Mothers Temple? and iirc there is a point when Allen returned to normal Gong? haven't heard any of that either.

also a bit about solo albums, I have Banana Moon by Daevid Allen and Fish Rising and Rainbow Dome Musick by Steve HIlage and I really dig those as well so any reccs for more albums from those two guys or any other Gong members is also welcomed

anyways if some well-versed Gong fans could steer me in the right direction, would be much appreciated. thanks!

You may want to look into purchasing the 1973 concert "Live In Bataclan" Being as it is ..the 73' line up, the band is in perfect form musicially and a very tight unit. I paid 20 dollars for it in the 90's and it may be priced around 30 or 40 dollars based on it's profit value to the seller ..however I would pay 40 or even 50 dollars for that cd which might be the price of a ticket to see them live and that's fair when considering the availability of various Gong performances in the early 70's.

Gong live at the Greasy Truckers Party is a must also. Contact Steve Roberts at ZNR Records website and ask him about obtaining a copy. You will never regret it. Gong live at Glastonbury Fayre is a bit too zany for me personally. Still interesting though and good to have in your collection in case you have spare time to check out the 71' line up. Check out Continental Circus which was a film score..yet it falls into place with the early Gong titles because the music is fitting. The newest released version of this cd features rare bonus tracks. Another cd release of C.C. from the 90's features the 71' line up in concert. Both versions are worthwhile.

Good Morning by Daevid Allen is soft and gentle, Shapeshifter by Gong is a challenging album for the listener. It's a fine return to the early style and modern. Mother Gong is stylistically based on the sound of the early Gong. I dislike it and  only  enjoyed  the Owl and the Tree. There is an audience recording of Gong 74" (I believe?)..as it sounds very good when played loud...and it features Daevid Allen sounding as he did on "Good Morning", Steve Hillage performs a couple of songs that later transcended into "Fish Rising, and Bill Bruford on drums. Gong Live In Oslo..Japanese import ..... contact Synphonic Music website and click on the flags.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>