Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedrecommend me more Gong please

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: recommend me more Gong please
    Posted: January 29 2013 at 20:44
so each time I try some Gong I love it more and more and I decided it is high time i see what else I need to check out to have a full proper understanding of the band.

I have Magick Brother, Camembert Electrique, and the three Radio Gnome Invisible records which I all really love, and Gazeuse!, Expresso II, and Downwind for Pierre Moerlen's Gong which is cool too. Now, I dig Morlen's fusion Gong but it is the Daevid Allen Gong which I really love and I want to know what other records are worth checking out. I know that after Daevid split there was the whole Mother Gong thing which I haven't heard any of and I've also heard something about a collaboration with Acid Mothers Temple? and iirc there is a point when Allen returned to normal Gong? haven't heard any of that either.

also a bit about solo albums, I have Banana Moon by Daevid Allen and Fish Rising and Rainbow Dome Musick by Steve HIlage and I really dig those as well so any reccs for more albums from those two guys or any other Gong members is also welcomed

anyways if some well-versed Gong fans could steer me in the right direction, would be much appreciated. thanks!

Edited by Sumdeus - January 29 2013 at 20:48
Sumdeus - surreal space/psych/prog journeys
ProgMetaller2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2013 at 20:53
Gong-Prostitute PoemEmbarrassedBig smile or do you know it?
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

― George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four

"Ignorance and Prejudice and Fear walk Hand in Hand"- Neil Peart

Sumdeus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2013 at 21:00
that song is off Angel's Egg, which is part of the Radio Gnome Invisible trilogy which I said I have. I'm looking for specific album reccs
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2013 at 01:16
Acid Motherhood is definitely a good album, from the later period of Gong, with a few members of Acid Mothers on board. It is still Gong but only modern and much heavier, excellent album.
2032 - Actually I haven't listened to it anymore except for a few times when I bought it, but I remember it wasn't bad. Steve Hillage and Mike Howlett are on that one, I'm sure that will get you curious enough.

But first of all I would recommend the Floating Anarchy 1977 live album, featuring the members of the mighty 'Here & Now' which is another band any fan of Gong should definitely check. Their debut album is highly influenced by Gong and shouldn't be overlooked.

I know you were looking for Gong but please check this Here & Now too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EOHEqjzGR8
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2013 at 01:34
How about the Daevid Allen side project `Sacred Geometry' with Microcosmic - gorgeous blissful ambient/mediatation music, like the spacier and more reflective moments of Gong - highest possible recommendation! I gave the first album a rave review not long ago.
Sumdeus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2013 at 02:59
thanks for the reccs, i'll check em out! Here & Now are cool but sound almost too much like Gong, I'll check out some albums from em regardless.

Right now I'm also trying out Tim Blake's Crystal Machine album which is pretty good so far
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2013 at 03:22
Meant to add, have you heard the Gong album `Zero To Infinity' (can't remember the year, either late 90's or early 00's)? If I recall it's the fifth `Radio Gnome' album, it's superb. Really compliments the 70's albums perfectly, while still sounding quite modern and inventive. Theo Travis on sax/flute is wonderful on the album.

Oh, and of course Steve Hillage's `Green'?! Terrific mix of Gong like mystery and spacerock, many love songs about aliens and nature!
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2013 at 06:46
Since you're already well into the early Allen period Gong, you might like these two releases, both of which dig up rarities out of the vaults.  I would recommend them to confirmed fans only, but that sounds like you anyway.  It so happens I've also reviewed them, so I'll give you the links to my reviews and you can check out more about the albums from there. 

"The History and Mystery of the Planet Gong"

http://www.progarchives.com/Review.asp?id=868157

"Camembert Eclectique" (not Electrique)

http://www.progarchives.com/Review.asp?id=755326

These are by no means classic releases, but if you can't get enough of early Gong, these are out there for you to enjoy, and both contain at least a couple of tracks that I consider indispensable.  I got my copies long ago, so I apologize in advance if I've led you down a path to an unavailable album.  But hey, maybe seeking them out will be fun.

Edited by HolyMoly - January 30 2013 at 06:47
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
zravkapt View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2013 at 06:48
Try Shamal, it's the most similar of their albums to You. Daevid Allen's album Good Morning is a good one to check out. Mother Gong is Gilli's group; they generally don't sound too much like Gong. Also New York Gong, which features Daevid in post-punk mode.
Magma America Great Make Again
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2013 at 08:00
If you get into Shamal you might have to explore Pierre Moerlen's Gong. Big smile
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2013 at 08:27
Originally posted by Sumdeus Sumdeus wrote:

so each time I try some Gong I love it more and more and I decided it is high time i see what else I need to check out to have a full proper understanding of the band.

I have Magick Brother, Camembert Electrique, and the three Radio Gnome Invisible records which I all really love, and Gazeuse!, Expresso II, and Downwind for Pierre Moerlen's Gong which is cool too. Now, I dig Morlen's fusion Gong but it is the Daevid Allen Gong which I really love and I want to know what other records are worth checking out. I know that after Daevid split there was the whole Mother Gong thing which I haven't heard any of and I've also heard something about a collaboration with Acid Mothers Temple? and iirc there is a point when Allen returned to normal Gong? haven't heard any of that either.

also a bit about solo albums, I have Banana Moon by Daevid Allen and Fish Rising and Rainbow Dome Musick by Steve HIlage and I really dig those as well so any reccs for more albums from those two guys or any other Gong members is also welcomed

anyways if some well-versed Gong fans could steer me in the right direction, would be much appreciated. thanks!

You may want to look into purchasing the 1973 concert "Live In Bataclan" Being as it is ..the 73' line up, the band is in perfect form musicially and a very tight unit. I paid 20 dollars for it in the 90's and it may be priced around 30 or 40 dollars based on it's profit value to the seller ..however I would pay 40 or even 50 dollars for that cd which might be the price of a ticket to see them live and that's fair when considering the availability of various Gong performances in the early 70's.

Gong live at the Greasy Truckers Party is a must also. Contact Steve Roberts at ZNR Records website and ask him about obtaining a copy. You will never regret it. Gong live at Glastonbury Fayre is a bit too zany for me personally. Still interesting though and good to have in your collection in case you have spare time to check out the 71' line up. Check out Continental Circus which was a film score..yet it falls into place with the early Gong titles because the music is fitting. The newest released version of this cd features rare bonus tracks. Another cd release of C.C. from the 90's features the 71' line up in concert. Both versions are worthwhile.

Good Morning by Daevid Allen is soft and gentle, Shapeshifter by Gong is a challenging album for the listener. It's a fine return to the early style and modern. Mother Gong is stylistically based on the sound of the early Gong. I dislike it and  only  enjoyed  the Owl and the Tree. There is an audience recording of Gong 74" (I believe?)..as it sounds very good when played loud...and it features Daevid Allen sounding as he did on "Good Morning", Steve Hillage performs a couple of songs that later transcended into "Fish Rising, and Bill Bruford on drums. Gong Live In Oslo..Japanese import ..... contact Synphonic Music website and click on the flags.

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2013 at 11:59
Hi,

The first couple of albums by Daevid Allen on his own are worth getting ... and "Good Morning" is a must have and one of the prettiest things ever.

The meditation stuff is too good!

Floating Anarchy is the best "acid rock" album I have ever heard ... and Ali Baba can blast my ears off and I'm thinking of having it played during my funeral and if they don't, the folks in charge will regret it ... with a pox worse than Shakespeare's!

Green by Steve Hillage is a fabulous album ... and produced by Nick Mason ... excellent stuff and beautifully recorded!

Mother Gong, always ... love Gilly! And I'm a Wild Child!

Steffi has a couple of solos and GLO with Gilly ... very fine

Didier's solos are jazz, and I have not clicked with them much.

Must GET: Michael Oldfield's DVD ... Exposed ... so you can see Pierre Moerlin in action ... and how well he fit with Mike and how well he helps the piece come alive ... It is, by far, the best DVD with Pierre that you will EVER see and worth every penny, though him and his family will never make a cent off it!

Edited by moshkito - January 30 2013 at 12:00
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
akamaisondufromage View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2013 at 12:27

I would also advise checking out some live GonG.  As Toddler says Live at Bataclan is fantastic stuff but I haven't found a hard copy yet I did download it off i tunes though.  Also hard to get hold of it Gong Live Etc which follows the band through the pre Radio Gnome / Radio Gnome/ and post Allen periods and shows off the best of all these eras.  It is not available at the moment though but if you find it on vinyl buy it!  Marvelous! 

Live in Sherwood Forest 75 is also interesting as it is GonG, but a mixture of old Gong Shamal GonG and Fish Rising Hillage.  Again though, Allen has left the roost! 

Help me I'm falling!
The Doctor View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2013 at 12:30
I can't see where anyone has mentioned the latest Gong album with Daevid Allen, 2032.  Part of the Flying Teapot saga from 2008 or 2009, I think.  Not quite up there with the first three, but a pretty fine album ntl.
I can understand your anger at me, but what did the horse I rode in on ever do to you?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2013 at 12:33
Sagichim did!  2032 is very good.
Help me I'm falling!
The Doctor View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2013 at 12:40
So he did. 
I can understand your anger at me, but what did the horse I rode in on ever do to you?
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2013 at 12:46
As you've already sampled the frist three parts of the Radio Gnome trillogy I'd suggest continuing with the remaining three parts: Shapeshifter, Zero to Infinity and 2032
What?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2013 at 12:48
Well, at least you read the OP unlike Mr 'lazybones' Sleepy Slartibartfast. LOL
Help me I'm falling!
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2013 at 12:53
I was aware that the three albums had been mentioned before by other posters, I was simply pointing out that they are connected (no one had done that) and form the second trillogy in the Radio Gnome series (no one had done that).

Tongue
What?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2013 at 12:59
Sorry Dean the comment was aimed at the Doctor again!  but you managed to get in between
Help me I'm falling!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>