Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Oriental/Middle Eastern/Arabian influenced music?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Oriental/Middle Eastern/Arabian influenced music?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lima96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Oriental/Middle Eastern/Arabian influenced music?
    Posted: January 30 2013 at 20:42
I don't know which is the correct name for this (these) marvelous type(s) of ethnic music I'm looking for...

Anyway, I have been recently developing an unusual love for this beautiful ethnic/folk music (Oriental, Middle-Eastern, Arabian, name them the way you most prefer), and my problem is that I want more and more of it, and I don't know where to search, and that's basically why I started this thread in the first place.

So, I'm open to any kind of suggestion of music bearing influences from Northern Africa, the Middle East, Turkey, the Arabian peninsula and so on... Everything is welcome! From acoustic folk to jazz to extreme metal to whatever you can think of and beyond...

Rock music with ethnic scales and stuff? Super welcome! Stuff with typical instruments and percussion? I'd be glad to hear about it! Don't be shy and please write anything you know in this vein!

My favourite examples of this/Inb4: Orphaned Land, Myrath, Laco Tayfa, Sand Aura, Bustan Abraham:

Edited by Lima96 - January 30 2013 at 20:42
Ambient Hurricanes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ambient Hurricanes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2013 at 22:19
Amaseffer is a good Israeli progressive metal band, that definitely incorporate influences from ethnic Israeli music in their work.

Also, The Bedlam in Goliath by The Mars Volta is chock-full of middle-eastern influences (unsurprising given that the entire album is a metaphor about the way women are treated in Islamic culture).
I love dogs, I've always loved dogs
balbulus View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote balbulus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2013 at 02:26
You need to hear "Nafas" by Rabih Abou-Khalil, it's a beautiful album of arabic music with sparse instrumentation. "Tarab" is another great album by him, but his other stuff is more Jazz influenced.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDldnVaQtR8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BV-ggq3U7U
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qj_3SoPGLDc

Less "authentic", but you may also like Trial of the Bow, an ethnic/ambient side-project of Australian Doom/Death band Disembowelment. Great stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwBl3rYUQ6U
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHd9WFOnL00
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hXXUci-gSg
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sagichim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2013 at 06:36
First of all as you already know Led Zeppelin always had a thing for arabic music, Kashmir would be an obvious example. In 1994 they released 'No Quarter' which is a compilation of their songs (and a bunch of other tunes) done in an ethnic/arabic versions, excellent album, if you're a fan of the band you can't go wrong with this one for sure, although chances that you already know this one. But if not then here is Kashmir's version http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCD_ruVaFOQ

Amaseffer mentioned before is another good example, and I'm happy you've discovered Bustan Abraham.

Another band you shoulf definitely check are Paranoise. They are mixing arabic/eastern melodies and instruments with almost metal like riffing, I'll post some videos later to let you know what they're all about, and I'll think of more stuff.
Ady Cardiac View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ady Cardiac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2013 at 09:24
Jaz Coleman ( killing joke ) and anne dudley ( art of noise) once did an album of arabic inspired music......

Ady Cardiac View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ady Cardiac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2013 at 09:31
and this here is truly fantastic.......sit through all of this to get to the mad keyboard stuff towards the end......and talk about mad drumming!

zappaholic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zappaholic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2013 at 17:47
How come I'm the only one who ever mentions Secret Chiefs 3 in these threads?

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard." -- H.L. Mencken
thellama73 View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thellama73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2013 at 18:14
Originally posted by zappaholic zappaholic wrote:

How come I'm the only one who ever mentions Secret Chiefs 3 in these threads?

I saw them live once. They were great.

The latest OM album is quite Middle-Eastern influenced and extremely wonderful.
Lima96 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lima96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2013 at 20:44
Thank you all for your suggestions! I'm making myself a playlist with them to check them asap.

@Sagichim: Bustan Abraham are amazing! They aren't active nowadays, are they? BA created the most mind-blowing music I listened to in a very long time. Do you know any group that sounds even vaguely like these guys?

@Zappaholic: I currently own the Book Of Angels Vol. 9, it's terrific! Do you recommend any other specific album by SC3?
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sagichim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2013 at 02:02
Well...there are several israeli artists incorporating those elements inside their music but none of them are exactly similar as Bustan, so I wouldn't really recommend them.
Anyway here are those Paranoise videos I mentioned before.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N76hOvRIQGA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXmIVmOeuog

Another thing you might like is Erkin Koray listed here under psychedelic. He also has that arabic vibe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBIJCbb4nbY

Orphaned Land are my favorite band though Approve

lucas View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2013 at 16:46
Deleyaman - Fourth Part One (ambient folk, with duduk)
Ivo Papasov - Together Again (bulgarian folk / wedding music)
David Krakauer - A new hot one (fusionesque klezmer)
Farmers Market - Farmers Market (jazz-rock/ bulgarian folk)
Storsveit Nix Noltes (bulgarian folk / psychedelic rock)
Loreena McKennitt - An Ancient Muse (celtic folk / arabic music)
Patrick O'Hearn - eldorado (ambient/ethnic)
Peter Maunu - Warm Sound In A Gray Field (ambient/ethnic)
Folkestra - Mamikam (folk/brass band)
Pierre Bensusan - Spices (celtic folk/jazz-world)
Najma & gary Lucas - Rishte (folk/indian)
Congreso - Terra incognita (folk/traditional/prog rock)
Luis Conte - En casa de Luis (percussions/jazz-world)
Patrick Saussois & Alma Sinti - Le chemin des forains (jazz-world/gypsy/musette)
Marcos Amorim - O Boto (jazz-world)
Dhafer Youssef - Abu NAwas Rhapsody (middle-eastern music/jazz-rock)
Możdżer Danielsson Fresco - Live (jazz-world)
Rabih Abou Khalil - Al-Jadida (middle eastern music/jazz-world)
Mulatu Astatqué - Ethiopiques Vol 4 (ethio jazz-world)
Jan Garbarek,  Anouar Brahem,  Ustad Shaukat Hussain - Madar (middle-eastern music / ambient-jazz)
Anouar Brahem - Le voyage de Sahar (middle eastern music/jazz-world with accordion)
Egberto Gismonti & Nana Vasconcelos - Duas Vozes (ethnic music  jazz-world)
Régis Gizavo, Louis Mhlanga,  David Mirandon - Stories (jazz-world, Régis Gizavo plays accordion and sings in malaguese)
Tomás Gubitsch Trio - Contra vientos y mareas (jazz / tango / classical)
Dino Saluzzi - Kultrum (jazz/world with accordion)
David Yengibarjan - Pandoukht (jazz-world with accordion)
Oregon - Oregon (ethnic/jazz-world)
Zakir Hussain - Making Music (jazz-world)
Didier Malherbe - Fluvius (ethnic/folk with flute)
Maniacs vs Sharkiat - Don't Climb The Pyramids (egyptian traditional music meets alternative rock)
Richard Galliano - Luz Negra (tango/jazz)
Kočani Orkestar - [L'Orient Est Rouge] (traditional/brass band/gypsy)
Taraf De Haïdouks - Musique Des Tziganes De Roumanie (traditional/brass band/gypsy)
Mahmoud Ahmed - Erè Mèla Mèla (jazz/traditional/world)
Richard Bona - Tiki (jazz/smooth/world)
Peter Gabriel - OST for 'PAssion' (ethnic/world)
Afro Celt Sound System - Vol 1 Sound Magic (african music/celtic folk/electronica)
Lisa Gerrard & Pieter Bourke - Duality (world/ethereal)
Huong Thanh - Dragonfly (world/jazz with vocals in vietnamese)
Reebop - Melodies In A Jungle Mans Head (jazz/world)
Salif Keïta - Soro (afro-pop/world)
Various artists - 'The Sound Of Wonder' (music for Pakinestese Lollywood cinema industry)
Various artists - 'Kusamakura Vol 1' (japanese music/jazz/psychedelic)
Dezoriental - Terra Incognita (rock/world/jazz)
Stellamara - The Golden Thread (world/ambient)
Zad Moultaka - Zàrani (middle eastern music/jazz)
Bijan Chemirani - Gulistan (Jardin Des Roses) (world/traditional)
Toots Thielemans - The Brasil Project (world/jazz with harmonica)

"Magma was the very first gothic rock band" (Didier Lockwood)
lucas View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2013 at 16:50
Originally posted by Lima96 Lima96 wrote:

Thank you all for your suggestions! I'm making myself a playlist with them to check them asap.

@Sagichim: Bustan Abraham are amazing! They aren't active nowadays, are they? BA created the most mind-blowing music I listened to in a very long time. Do you know any group that sounds even vaguely like these guys?

Rabih Abou Khalil : you can hear as well tuba, oud, flute.
"Magma was the very first gothic rock band" (Didier Lockwood)
zappaholic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zappaholic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2013 at 19:19
Originally posted by Lima96 Lima96 wrote:

@Zappaholic: I currently own the Book Of Angels Vol. 9, it's terrific! Do you recommend any other specific album by SC3?

I would say Second Grand Constitution And Bylaws: Hurqalya is the first one where it all started to come together, and Book M is a must-hear.

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard." -- H.L. Mencken
Lima96 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lima96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2013 at 22:42
@Lucas: Wow, awesome list! That will give me something to entertain myself with for a long time Big smile. The only ones I've heard from there are Zakir Hussain, Congreso, Farmers Market (actually I suggested them into PA) and Sharkiat vs Maniacs.

@Zappaholic: Thanks again!

For the record, if anyone else is looking for oriental/oriental-influenced music, you should also check The Tea Party's Splendor Solis, I listened to it recently and was an amazing experince.
< id="_npwlo" ="applicationpwlo" height="0">

Edited by Lima96 - February 03 2013 at 23:38
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sagichim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2013 at 11:15
Zakir Hussain - Making Music is an incredible album with a phenomenal list of musicians. I bought it in India 10 years ago and it holds a special place in my heart. I thought you weren't looking for indian style of music Lima, but I'm glad you like it.
Lima96 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lima96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2013 at 12:10
Originally posted by sagichim sagichim wrote:

Zakir Hussain - Making Music is an incredible album with a phenomenal list of musicians. I bought it in India 10 years ago and it holds a special place in my heart. I thought you weren't looking for indian style of music Lima, but I'm glad you like it.
Yeah, I really like it too, but adding "Indian" to the topic's title would have been too much Tongue

Making Music is an incredible album, practically nothing can go wrong with such a lineup.
< id="_npwlo" ="applicationpwlo" height="0">
bobmorane View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobmorane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2015 at 07:13
This is an old thread, but in case you get notifications of updates, some fantastic bands:

Radio Tarifa - A successful recipe of medieval, arabic, andalusian and more influences in something sounding old yet very novel
  Nu Arest - 

Orange Blossom - French arabic, violin & electronic yet with a true rock spirit. Great live!
  Habibi - 
  Maldito - 

I'll be sampling the various recommendations

Edited by bobmorane - March 31 2015 at 07:28
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2015 at 07:19
I don't know many bands like this, but I do like Orphaned Land and Myrath.
Myrath is a Tunisian progressive metal band. Here's an example of what they sound like. Smile

Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2015 at 07:30
Heh he actually started out mentioning both Orphaned Land and Myrath in the OPTongue
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2015 at 07:33
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Heh he actually started out mentioning both Orphaned Land and Myrath in the OPTongue

oops, I superficially read that, I've just seen it. Embarrassed
but anyway, great band, they will release their new album this year, I can't wait!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>