Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSteven Wilson vs Liam Howlett

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: who do you find most progressive?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
2 [66.67%]
1 [33.33%]
0 [0.00%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Steven Wilson vs Liam Howlett
    Posted: January 31 2013 at 14:02
Both men started out early in a very similar way, as a single one man band project, with only a piano/synth and a computer, with buckload of music but no band or way to preform their music, the created a moniker (name) in which they took cover under, and sold themselvs as to the audience, both got emediate attention and which made them longing for peopel to fill the different shoes in the groups, which created Porcupine Tree and Prodigy in the start of the 90s, it took Porcupine Tree a decade before they got big acclaim, (with In Absentia) and form that on they become a true force of music influence to a broad aspect, before that they were sort of a cutl band or a band for the few who discovered them by chance/luck, and dug them like sacred spirits,, Prodigy felt the success from the start, with the album the Experience from 1992, and have lived on that wave ever sicne, (which got even bigger after Music for the Jilted Generation) and reached the top with the Fat of the Land,

i don't meen to say that the 90s PT was an obscurity or that the 00s material is better becouse of they become more comercial, but i find that to be the time they become a band which could be regarded as an influencual band to be recon with, and a badn with a distinct sound which other musicians took notice of, in the same way musicians took notes of how Prodigy sounded in th 90s, Prodigy is the only band i know of which have an appeal to such a wide variation of people from totaly different styles of music, and their fans that also can listen to Prodigy, from goths, to metal heads, to hiphop fans, to punkers, to hipsters, rave heads, pot heads, hippies, casuals (like myself), and so on, i feel 00s Porcupine Tree do the same in a way, appel to a very wide sortiment of music fans.

both artists are very good producers with a strong mind to how things should sound, and i find their best musical abilitys is to combine elements by their skills to produce and compose tracks, which makes their bands unique in the way they are so dencely composed,

i bet PT is a band that most people here love more couse of they are progressive rock and have lots of fans on PA, (including myself), but i was a Prodigy fan before i ever heard of PT and i also really enjoy them.

I can actualy hear some similaritys in the two bands, both have the mixture of ambience and intencity, also both have a dark and sinister feel to the music, a desperation sort of and angsiaty is also part of both bands feel. 

Edited by aginor - January 31 2013 at 14:08
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2013 at 17:08
i voted on Liam
DisgruntledPorcupine View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2013 at 03:33
I really don't like The Prodigy. So Steven.
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2013 at 03:27
Wilson
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
 Post Reply Post Reply