Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRadiohead Vs. Talk Talk

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Poll Question: Which band do you prefer?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
36 [44.44%]
45 [55.56%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Fox On The Rocks View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Radiohead Vs. Talk Talk
    Posted: January 31 2013 at 16:28
Two Crossover acts, dabbling and have dabbled in more experimental aspects of making music in the later half of their career - influenced from Electronica, Krautrock, Jazz, Ambient, etc. Both bands have had major commercial success over the years, with a string of hit singles - with the first half of their careers focused more on commercially viable music; Alternative/ Indie Rock for Radiohead, and Synth Pop/ New Wave for Talk Talk. Both have made absolutely groundbreaking and musically controversial albums over the years. Both band contain highly innovative and extremely talented musicians/ songwriters.

Have at it guys. Smile

Sumdeus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2013 at 16:30
haven't really heard Talk Talk but I don't like Radiohead at all
Sumdeus - surreal space/psych/prog journeys
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2013 at 16:34
Radiohead

Quite easily honestly. 
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2013 at 16:57
I've only heard 3 Radio Head albums, but nothing they've done recently, so I'll hold off on my vote. I've always loved Talk Talk, though, so they'd be hard to beat.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Andy Webb View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2013 at 16:59
I love Radiohead, but Talk Talk is sublime.
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2013 at 17:47
What I've heard of Talk Talk is OK, but Radiohead does absolutely nothing for me at all.

We have a poll ongoing about whether Deep Purple is prog; well if they are not, Radiohead don't even come close

A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
jude111 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2013 at 19:59

Radiohead. Talk Talk were awesome, and influential (and even influenced Radiohead), but Radiohead were the best band of their generation, bar none. There's not a prog band in existence worth its salt that wouldn't give their left nut to have written Paranoid Android or Climbing Up the Walls or Exit Music or Let Down or Everything In Its Right Place or Pyramid Song or Kid A or Idioteque or A Wolf at the Door or Subterranean Homesick Alien or Planet Telex, etc. I mean, the sheer leap from "Creep" to THE BENDS to OK COMPUTER to - jumping off the cliff into the unknown - KID A-slash-AMNESIAC - it's an awesome thing to behold.

Thom Yorke's voice - particularly on OK COMPUTER - accesses an emotion(s) I've never heard *any* singer access. I *still* to this day can't put my finger on it or describe it with one word. Disgust? Whew. 15 years later, it's still an elusive, undefinable thing for me that I feel more than I can articulate.

For me, listening to OK Computer and then to Kid A/Amensiac is like watching one of the greatest sci-fi films ever made. It's like Blade Runner II-meets-The Matrix-meets whatever brilliant cyberpunk/manga you want to name. The narrative thread, the sheer *vision*, is stunning - nay, *visionary*. This is why I love music.

Edited by jude111 - January 31 2013 at 20:40
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2013 at 22:06
Talk Talk easily.
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
thellama73 View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2013 at 22:25
How is this tied? Talk Talk is a million times better.
Wanorak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2013 at 22:28
Love both, but Radiohead for me, just.
A GREAT YEAR FOR PROG!!!
DisgruntledPorcupine View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2013 at 03:54
Talk Talk is brilliant. But it's gotta be Radiohead. One of the most creative bands I've ever heard.
Kirillov View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2013 at 07:37
Talk Talk
Ady Cardiac View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2013 at 07:47
talk talk everytime.......when i used to work in a record store in center of oxford i used to serve thom yorke all the time.....he used to ask me what good electronic stuff was out and i recommended stuff like autecre and black dog productions.....this was the early '90's.....a couple of friends of mine used to stand in awe when they saw me serving him and to this day swear blind i helped influence thoms change to electronica as whatever i threw at him he would just buy......the reason i wasnt in awe of thom is because i dont like radioheads music at all.
ole-the-first View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2013 at 08:43
Radiohead.
This night wounds time.
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2013 at 09:25
Tough, but it has to be Talk Talk for their later albums, especially Spirit Of Eden.
tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2013 at 11:15
Originally posted by Andy Webb Andy Webb wrote:

I love Radiohead, but Talk Talk is sublime.

yes!
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.
Progmind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2013 at 17:48
talk talk by far, i love radiohead (specially ok computer, amnesiac and the bends)  but talk talk is pure genious

Edited by Progmind - February 01 2013 at 17:49
valravennz View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2013 at 18:00
I have followed Talk Talk from the beginning through their various incarnations until their final album "Laughing Stock". I knew from the start that they were a special group - they stood out from their 80's counterparts in style and form. Though Radiohead has had some brilliant moments through out their career, they don't quite match the consistency of Talk Talk's evolution from electronic pop to incredible depth of composition. Talk Talk was therefore my choice.

"Music is the Wine that fills the cup of Silence"
- Robert Fripp

Nov View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2013 at 18:52
Originally posted by valravennz valravennz wrote:

I have followed Talk Talk from the beginning through their various incarnations until their final album "Laughing Stock". I knew from the start that they were a special group - they stood out from their 80's counterparts in style and form. Though Radiohead has had some brilliant moments through out their career, they don't quite match the consistency of Talk Talk's evolution from electronic pop to incredible depth of composition. Talk Talk was therefore my choice.
Very well put.

Plus, I saw them on the Colour of Spring tour and it's in my top 3 gigs of all-time Wink

jude111 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2013 at 19:16
I find this all really interesting. It's like when everyone claimed they saw the Velvet Underground perform their first few gigs (when in reality, about 20 people saw it.) The thing about Talk Talk is that they couldn't *give* their last two albums away. These albums were almost univesally panned by the critics, and the only ones who heard of Talk Talk knew them (hazily, vaguely) because of their first singles which were considered to be Duran Duran rip-offs. Their last few albums were viewed as being hopelessly out of date. I mean, this was the MTV 80s, when synth-pop ruled. Talk Talk's minimalist, moody atmospheric music with natural jazzy brassy instruments rather than drum machines was viewed as being hopelessly out of step.

It was only 15 to 20 years later (that is, 20 years after their last album was made) that the band started to be pointed to by a few influential musicians and critics, and the band was "re-discovered" and re-appraised.

Notably, the influentail producer Dave Fridmann pointed to - and was influenced by - Talk Talk's production. Fridmann introduced a syphonic production style to his own band's recordings - Mercury Rev (see their masterpiece DESERTER'S SONGS) - and the Flaming Lips, which he also produces (see THE SOFT BULLETIN and YOSHIMI BATTLES THE PINK ROBOTS). (Mercury Rev grew out of the Flaming Lips.) He produced as well several other influential post-rock albums, such as releases by Mogwai (COME ON AND DIE YOUNG and ROCK ACTION) and Sparklehorse. This style influenced a whole host of other work, such as Arcade Fire and Grandaddy (particularly his lo-fi - and *very* proggy masterpiece - THE SOPHTWARE SLUMP). [An aside: Mogwai and Talk Talk are both here in PA, as are Radiohead - I'm wondering when the Flaming Lips will be let in? Grandaddy belongs in because of SOPHTWARE, and perhaps Mercury Rev belongs in as well.]

Radiohead also pointed to Talk Talk, and one can hear it in their sound (as well as many other influences). This kind of symphonic production was the "in" thing for a decade. Most of us only know of Talk Talk today because of Mercury Rev and the Flaming Lips and Radiohead.

Talk Talk's great; I'm just wondering if the pendulum hasn't swung too far? Sure, they released one of the best albums of the 90s. I'd even in put it in the top 20 albums of that decade...

Edited by jude111 - February 01 2013 at 20:29
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>