Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedCollaborators' Top Albums of 2012

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Andy Webb View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Collaborators' Top Albums of 2012
    Posted: February 01 2013 at 14:37

Welcome to the 8th annual ProgArchives Collaborator’s 2012 Album of the Year contest!

Again we find ourselves at the pinnacle of the musical year – the end. Each year, ProgArchives hosts a contest to see what the best progressive rock albums of the year were. The contest is open to all the collaborators of the site, including VIP Members, Prog Reviewers, Collaborators, Special Collaborators, and Admins. Each collab is allowed to vote for 10 albums. Over the past few months, these lists have been collected and collated into the Collaborator’s 2012 Album of the Year list.

I returned as the collator for a second time this year, and I was very pleased with the results. We as collaborators wanted an earlier deadline, and even with less time, I was amazed to find myself faced with 82 voters and a record-breaking 264 individual albums that were nominated. I’d like to thank all the collaborators that took the time to compile their list that made this post possible.

As a listener, I was shocked by the huge diversity in sonic power and musical creativity that was presented to the progressive rock scene this year. Incredibly well-crafted efforts in each of our subgenres came out this year, and while some seemed to impress our collaborators the most, there were so many to choose from. Sadly, however, as we see each year, each release couldn’t be carefully evaluated by all our collaborators, so this list is not as comprehensive as we would hope.

Enough of my chatter – without further ado, here it is:

The ProgArchives Collaborators’ Top Albums of 2012

1.   ANGLAGARD – Viljans Öga

To many, Anglagard was the symbol of the resurgence of progressive rock in the 1990s. Possessing a unique style driven by King Crimson and Yes along with a number of other influences, their 1992 debut album Hybris is heralded as one of the best progressive rock albums of all time. They quickly followed the album with Epilog in 1994, but disappeared afterwards. Reunions occurred over the next two decades, but it took 20 years after their debut for the band to reappear in the studio. Viljans Öga is the fantastic result.

“Listening to Viljans Oga is as if they've never been away and they've simply taken up where they left off all those years ago… It's Anglagard doing what they do best…the mellow pastoral moments creating strong dynamics alongside the heavier bombastic parts, expertly weaved together with their trademark quirky touches. All this would count for nothing without the strength of the compositions  Viljans Oga can easily sit alongside Hybris and Epilog as some of the most enjoyable symphonic prog I've ever heard.” –Nightfly, Special Collaborator

Statistics:

·         Genre: Symphonic Prog

·         429 ratings, 4.33 Stars

·         Appears on 28% of all lists

·         Number of #1 listings: 9

·         Song sampler (“Ur Vilande”)

[FLASH WIDTH=500 HEIGHT=81]https://player.soundcloud.com/player.swf?url=http%3A%2F%2Fapi.soundcloud.com%2Ftracks%2F53692376[/FLASH]

2.   BIG BIG TRAIN – English Electric (Part One)

Big Big Train are no strangers to the progressive rock scene, but they are perhaps the best modern example of a band who matured and developed over time. Forming in the early 1990s, the band’s early output did little to the fledgling progressive rock scene of the time. Over the next 15 years, however, the band developed into one of the most well-respected modern crossover/symphonic prog bands of the day. Their 2009 masterpiece The Underfall Yard seemed hard to bear, but their follow up, English Electric (Part One), did just that.

“[English Electric (Part One)] is, in short, a true prog original, as well as one of my biggest surprises of the year - having been none too impressed by the band's back catalogue, I really hadn't planned on giving them another go, but … I'm profoundly glad I did. Big Big Train fans will be thrilled by their heroes' latest triumph; prog fans who have previously given them short shift might be advised to give this one a taste because it might just win them over.” – Warthur, Prog Reviewer

Statistics:

·         Genre: Crossover Prog

·         385 ratings, 4.28 stars

·         Appears on 32% of all lists

·         Number of #1 listings: 3

·         Song Sampler: (“Judas Unrepentant”)

[FLASH WIDTH=500 HEIGHT=81]https://player.soundcloud.com/player.swf?url= http%3A%2F%2Fapi.soundcloud.com%2Ftracks%2F55267367[/FLASH]

3.   ECHOLYN – echolyn

Another familiar face, Echolyn has been releasing high-quality and well-respected symphonic progressive rock since the beginning of the 1990s. While the band’s influence seemed to wane as the ‘90s came to an end, 2002’sMei showed a strong return from the American powerhouse. 2005 saw The End is Beautiful, and when the band went silent, many feared that was the band’s end as well. That was proven wrong almost 7 years later when the band announced the release of their eighth, self-titled, album. Echolyn proved to be an incredible return for the band.

“Echolyn have brought us an octet of stellar sonic craftsmanship. There is a mellow maturity present throughout this experience. Musically and thematically, it is an emulsion of Mei and The End is Beautiful, an enchanting exploration of the breadth of human emotion. Oddly, this is the band's second eponymous album…Echolytes know what to expect from this quintet, and they delivered eight times over. Well done gentlemen.” – Epignosis, Special Collaborator

Statistics:

·         262 ratings, 4.15 Stars

·         Appears on 25% of all lists

·         Number of #1 listings: 4

·         Song sample: (“The Cardinal and I”)

[FLASH WIDTH=500 HEIGHT=81]https://player.soundcloud.com/player.swf?url= http%3A%2F%2Fapi.soundcloud.com%2Ftracks%2F77338808[/FLASH]

4.   THE FLOWER KINGS – Banks of Eden

Four in a row, we have one of the original 1990s progressive rock revival bands. The Flower Kings, headed by prog rock veteran Roine Stolt, have been producing high quality modern symphonic prog for over two decades continuously. Uncharacteristically, though, Banks of Eden, the band’s 11th studio album, comes after an unprecedented 5 year gap. It was worth the wait, however, as Banks of Eden follows the already wonderful Sum of No Evil with some of the band’s freshest material yet.

I find the band's 2007 release The Sum of No Evil to be an absolute masterpiece, so it was difficult for me to imagine a fitting follow-up. My faith in Roine and company is strong, however, and after hearing Banks of Eden, it is even more unwavering. One of the best things about TFK is their ability to remain stylistically consistent while still providing depth of variety. Banks of Eden is further evidence of this; although the classic TFK sound is mostly unchanged here, this album is different from anything the band has ever done before… this is modern prog at its finest. The Flower Kings are not kings by name alone.” – Anthony H, Prog Reviewer

Statistics:

·         347 ratings, 4.11 Stars

·         Appears on 23% of all lists

·         Song sample: (“Numbers [Excerpt]”)

[FLASH WIDTH=500 HEIGHT=81]https://player.soundcloud.com/player.swf?url= http%3A%2F%2Fapi.soundcloud.com%2Ftracks%2F48804338[/FLASH]

5.   MOTORPSYCHO (feat. STÅLE STORLØKKEN) – The Death Defying Unicorn

Motorpsycho have, just like its friends here, been around since the early 1990s. Similar to Big Big Train, however, the band made a small impact on the budding Norwegian prog scene in its early years. The trio kept plugging on, however, and produced an incredibly large amount of material over its two decade existence. The band slowly began to gather steam as it collaborated with other well-known Norwegian musicians such as Jaga Jazzist and, on this offering, Ståle Storløkken. The Death Defying Unicorn is a massive double-concept-album that uses the already incredible musical power of the band and Storløkken in addition to the Trondheim Jazz Orchestra. This massive album is perhaps their best yet.

Motorpsycho has become somewhat of a cult hit around the prog community of late hailed by many respective reviewers and collabs as album of the year so I had to indulge. Before I approached the album I had no idea what to expect…so I put on the headphones one dark evening after midnight and let the music immerse my soul. I think I was lifted into another plane of existence as the music simply nailed me to the couch with its inexorable power. I can only include with the inevitable after being treated to a mesmerising musical explosion like this. The album is an undisputable masterpiece of prog and one of the must listen to albums of 2012.” – AtomicCrimsonRush, Special Collaborator

Statistics:

·         Genre: Eclectic Prog

·         187 ratings, 4.19 Stars

·         Appears on 20% of all lists

·         Number of #1 listings: 2

·         Song sample: (“The Hollow Lands”)

[FLASH WIDTH=500 HEIGHT=81]https://player.soundcloud.com/player.swf?url= http%3A%2F%2Fapi.soundcloud.com%2Ftracks%2F77339303[/FLASH]

6.   MAGMA – Félicité Thösz

The kings of Zeuhl don’t come around often anymore, but when they do, they can still produce a mean piece of avant-garde mastery. Félicité Thösz follows the band’s wondrous 2009 output Ëmëhntëhtt-Ré and shows no slowing of the 40-something year old band. The band retains their classic styling to please classic fans while exploring enough new territory to certainly bring in many new wary explorers – the band even features a track sung in French rather their native Kobaian!

On this (hopely till know) not too much anticipated 2012 release of one of the most original and progressive bands of progressive rock history we get to hear a different side of Christian Vander's composition skills. Instead of creating a dark operatic en technical album, Magma returns with an angelic celebration of life…another must-have Magma release for fans an perhaps the easiest entry into the band's discography to this date. The production is great, the compostion briljant and the album has a really postive, mysterious & adventerious mood that really cheers me up.” – Friso, Prog Reviewer

Statistics:

·         Genre: Zeuhl

·         135 ratings, 4.23 Stars

·         Appears on 15% of all lists

·         Number of #1 listings: 3

·         Song sample: (“Ëkmah”)

[FLASH WIDTH=500 HEIGHT=81]https://player.soundcloud.com/player.swf?url= http%3A%2F%2Fapi.soundcloud.com%2Ftracks%2F51344773[/FLASH]

7.   THE MARS VOLTA – Noctourniquet

Sadly this incredibly experimental album proves to be the last of one of the most celebrated experimenters of the last decade. The Mars Volta may have split up in early 2013, but their last effort, Noctourniquet, was an experience of musical exploration, the bounds of sound, and how far they can bring their fans without driving them insane. The Mars Volta have explored many sonic routes, from mind-blisteringly technical yet incredibly emotional heavy Latin prog to mellow acoustic Latin-inspired jams. To many, this album rivals their highly-celebrated 2002 debut De-Loused in the Comatorium, and I can see why.

Let me start off this review by saying that this is quite possibly The Mars Volta's best work. After repeated listens it seems to just keep getting better, it's slowly creeping its way into my top 2 TMV albums with Deloused and Frances up there previously and it shows no signs of slowing it's journey into my favorite records of this year and of all time… It's a record seething with emotion and like most TMV records uses that to make the songs memorable and fantastic-sounding. It's a formula that's been working for years now but with Noctourniquet it seems very much refreshed, like this is a new era for TMV.” – The Truth, Prog Reviewer

Statistics:

·         Genre: Heavy Prog

·         214 ratings, 3.67 Stars

·         Appears on 14% of all lists

·         Song sample: (“Zed and Two Naughts”)

[FLASH WIDTH=500 HEIGHT=81]https://player.soundcloud.com/player.swf?url= http%3A%2F%2Fapi.soundcloud.com%2Ftracks%2F38777281[/FLASH]

8.   THE TEA CLUB – Quickly Quickly Quickly

Perhaps the biggest underdogs of the contest, The Tea Club are the newest contestants, with their debut coming out in 2008. The band weaves an incredible form of accessible yet wonderfully progressive music that entrances the listener. Being released in November of 2012, the album was late to rise to the challenge, but it provided ample competition to the big dogs of the fight. With such a phenomenal effort so early in its career, The Tea Club are destined to live a truly entrancing career of quality music.

“[Quickly Quickly Quicklypicks up where "Rabbit" left off and but finds the band pushing further into longer, slightly more complex tracks…Just as Rabbit was clearly a better album than General Winter, QQQ shows further sonic growth over its predecessor. But the Teas have avoided the trap of getting mired down in too much cerebral posturing or unnecessary shred. They achieve pleasing complexity without abandoning their strengths: unapologetic melody, colorful storytelling, and an authentic, intimate connection to their listener…this one is close to perfect. One of 2012's gems” – Finnforest, Special Collaborator

Statistics:

·         Genre: Crossover Prog

·         45 ratings, 4.34 Stars

·         Appears on 10% of all lists

·         Number of #1 listings: 2

·         Song sample: (“The Eternal German Infant”)

[FLASH WIDTH=500 HEIGHT=81]https://player.soundcloud.com/player.swf?url= http%3A%2F%2Fapi.soundcloud.com%2Ftracks%2F75191415[/FLASH]

9.   STORM CORROSION – Storm Corrosion

Steven Wilson and Mike Åkerfeldt are perhaps two of the most beloved figures in progressive rock at the current moment. So when news leaked that the duo would be collaborating on a separate project from Opeth, the progressive rock community was in a buzz. Mike Portnoy was rumored to be a member, but he was out not soon after word leaked. Years past after the rumor was released, and 2012 finally saw the culmination of their work in Storm Corrosion. A dark experience of dark folk-tinged prog delicacies, the project turned out to be about just what every prog fan hoped for.

Whatever you think [Storm Corrosion] will be, it isn't…you might be tempted to imagine that this will sound like some kind of combination of [Opeth and Porcupine Tree].  It doesn't. That said, in my opinion it's the best of them. This is the kind of album that takes the listener on a voyage, that you just want to put on a nice stereo system and close your eyes and let the music carry you away. It actually reminds me quite a bit of Talk Talk, not necessarily in how it actually sounds but just in how exquisitely it's put together…every track feels perfectly composed and paced, with 10 minute songs that seem to pass in the blink of an eye and gorgeous soundscapes that feel like portals to other worlds…if you're looking for a beautiful, otherworldly trip then this is the album for you.” – VanVanVan, Prog Reviewer

Statistics:

·         Genre: Eclectic Prog

·         291 ratings, 3.75 Stars

·         Appears on 14% of all lists

·         Number of #1 listings: 0 (highest placement #2)

·         Song sample: (“Drag Ropes”)

[FLASH WIDTH=500 HEIGHT=81]https://player.soundcloud.com/player.swf?url= http%3A%2F%2Fapi.soundcloud.com%2Ftracks%2F52394363[/FLASH]

10.   RUSH – Clockwork Angels

Rush are the unadulterated kings of the Heavy Prog genre and have been for almost 40 years. The second 1970s survivor on the list, Rush have continually produced high quality music in a number of different forms over their long career. Clockwork Angels is the band’s 19th studio album, a feat few bands reach. Returning to the concept form, the band weave a dense dystopian narrative through impressive song writing ability that shows the band is hardly done. Some may not have been impressed by this album, but many more welcomed it amongst the bands many other masterpieces.

Clockwork Angels is a concept album and as such should be viewed as a whole and listened to in its entirety in one sitting…this is a definitive Rush album wherein the sum is greater than the parts…as a modern Heavy Prog album it is a triumph… Musically we are treated to enormous riffs, kenetic bass-playing and some of Peart's best drum work in decades…This could be the best Rush album since "Moving Pictures", it is certainly on a par with "Signals" and was rewarded by reaching #2 in the Official US Album Chart, quite a feat by the un-hippest rock band on the planet.” – Tony R, Administrator

Statistics:

·   Genre: Heavy Prog

·   462 ratings, 3.95 Stars

·   Appears on 12% of all lists

·   Number of #1 listings: 2

·   Song sample: (“Caravan [Single Edit]”)

[FLASH WIDTH=500 HEIGHT=81]https://player.soundcloud.com/player.swf?url= http%3A%2F%2Fapi.soundcloud.com%2Ftracks%2F64637553[/FLASH]

Full list incoming...

Edited by Andy Webb - July 17 2015 at 12:57
Andy Webb View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2013 at 14:46
Because the whole list is so darn massive, I'm going to break it up into parts.

Here we have the top 100

#

Album

Artist

Viljans Oga

Anglagard

English Electric Part One

Big Big Train

Echolyn

Banks of Eden

The Flower Kings

The Death Defying Unicorn

Motorpsycho

Felicite Thosz

Magma

Noctourniquet

The Mars Volta

Quickly Quickly Quickly

The Tea Club

Storm Corrosion

Clockwork Angels

Rush

RIITIIR

Enslaved

The Black Chord

Astra

Allelujah! Don't Bend! Ascend!

Godspeed you! Black Emperor

Sounds that Can't Be Made

Marillion

Lost Tapes

Can

March of Progress

Threshold

Rewotower

Profusion

Invicta

The Enid

Atlantis

Elephant9

Weather Systems

Anathema

Genesis Revisited II

Steve Hackett

Utopia

Distorted Harmony

Volume One

Perhaps

Imposing Elements

Dean Watson

Get All You Deserve

Steven Wilson

Drought

Deathspell Omega

In a Cold Embrace

Battlestations

The Void

Beardfish

Concerto for Piano and Electric…

Kotebel

Separate Realities

Trioscapes

Attosecondo

Alphataurus

Lost in the New Real

Arjen Lucassen

Yellow and Green

Baroness

Thick as a Brick 2

Ian Anderson

Beyond the Realms of Euphoria

Galahad

Perilous

Glass Hammer

Sceneries

Sylvan

Valta

Alamaailman Vasarat

The Samuel Jackson Five

Selenelion

Vaura

Koloss

Meshuggah

Eremita

Ihsahn

Anastasis

Dead Can Dance

Gamma Knife

Kayo Dot

Octane Twisted

Porcupine Tree

On a Dark and Stormy Night

Shadow Circus

Sister Death

Alex K. Redfearn

The Mothership Returns

Return to Forever

Senna

Mahogony Frog

Pandora's Pinata

Diablo Swing Orchestra

Acte V

Forgas Band Phenomena

Moments

IO Earth

Decline and Fall

Thinking Plague

Breakup Songs

Deerhoof

Road to Avalon

The Minstrel's Ghost

Dodecahedron

Daal

Clairvoyant Fortnight

Knifeworld

The Second Mechanism

Diagonal

Out of the Coma

Comus

Exile

To-Mera

One Eye on the Sunrise

Nine Stones Closed

Far and Forgot - From the Lost Lands

Francis Lickerish

iamthemorning

Momentum

Neal Morse

Alt

Van Der Graaf Generator

Corvus Stone

Undine

Ryoko Ono

Carpe Nota

La Trasfigurazione

Ornithos

Across the Rubicon

Silhouette

Quetzacoatl

Corima

Deus Lo Vult

Il Baccio Della Medusa

The Parallax II

Between the Buried and Me

Lingua Franca

TRAM

The Letter

Cosa Bravo

Epicloud

The Devin Townsend Project

The Three Fates Project

Keith Emerson

Return of the Artisan

Final Conflict

Intergalactic Art Café

Stereokimono

La Zona D'Ombra

Magnolia

Kind of Red

Taylor's Universe

All the Wars

Pineapple Thief

Skies Darken

Citizen Cain

L'Uomo Trasparente

Maurizio de Tollo

Portal of I

Ne Obliviscaris

March of Ghosts

Gazpacho

Maps of Non-Existent Places

Thank You Scientist

No

Nichelodeon

Time I

Winterson

The Long Division

3rd Degree

Village to the Vale

Autumn Chorus

In Somniphobia

Sigh

Under Mournful Horizons

Day Before Us / NIMH

Laid to Rest

Frequency Drift

Perigeo

Il Giardino Onirico

Move

Hirmoi

Valtari

Sigur Ros

Not the Weapon but the Hand

Steve Hogarth and Richard Barbieri

Aire

Nexus

In Our Nature

Hidden Lands

Edited by Andy Webb - February 03 2013 at 19:42
aapatsos View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2013 at 15:01
Thanks Andy for another year of hard work Clap

I think the list reflects the love for the long-awaited comebacks, what a year for prog music!

oh - and I think Karl might want to appeal seeing Enslaved in #11 LOL

Edited by aapatsos - February 01 2013 at 15:04
Andy Webb View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2013 at 15:08
I was disappoint it didn't edge out Rush, as I though CA was weak. I was shocked, though, at the sheer number of points the first few albums got - they blew GfD out of the water, and those numbers were high too!
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2013 at 15:16
Not a bad list, if slightly predictable. Good to see Magma and Motorpsycho get in there. If only something else could have beaten rush.
But I'm happy with the #1 spot, which is most important to me. Even though my personal #1 was quite buried.

And let this be known as the year where S Wilson didn't even come close to winning!
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2013 at 15:26
Well, as ever, Andy has put a great deal of work into this, for which I am grateful. So, the following comments should be seen as an observation, not a criticism (God, I'm getting paranoid).

This is a poll like all others, a snapshot of opinion amongst a select group of people, and not necessarily representative of the whole community who love prog, so should not be taken all that seriously. It is interesting. It is informative. It will lead to debate. I really stopped taking a great deal of notice of such things some years ago, probably about the time I realised that Marillion would never win a critics poll againLOL

Wait, they did win that reader's poll in Prog magazine though. Oh well, I didn't take that all too seriously, either, but I do suspect that that poll was slightly more representative of the community as a whole. This is also a little bit of sour grapes on my partWink
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
Andy Webb View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2013 at 15:34
101-200

#

Album

Artist

World Music

Goat

Posthaste

Ohmphrey

God Machines

Gate6

Onward

Hawkwind

The Silicone Veil

Sussane Sundfor

Golden Rhythm/Ink Music

Volcano the Bear

Redefining Darkness

Shining

Bascule A Vif

Jack Dupon

Seventh Heaven

Anthony Phillips

Adython

Claudio Milano

The World is a Game

Mystery

Rainbro

Inner Ear Brigade

Eternal Turn of the Wheel

Drudkh

Queda Ascendente

Torga Ostera

Unison

Aka Moon

Oro: Opus Alter

Ufomammut

Beyond Man and Time

RPWL

6.5 and Brighter

5R6

The 2nd Law

Muse

If We Get There One Day

Leech

Avadante

Kettlespider

Monolith

Ethereal Architect

Lux

Brian Eno

Crush of Night

Izz

Space Godz 2607

Antlers

Talsete di Marsantino

L'Estare Di San Martino

The Traveler

Spiral

Entertaining Angels

Landmark

I Am Anonymous

Headspace

Shape Shifter

Santana

Honor Found in Decay

Neurosis

Astronautica

Hidria Spacefolk

Oro: Opus Primum

Ufomammut

Gettysburg Address

Moon Safari

Adventures in Neverland

The Reasoning

Dream Seeds

Extra Life

Plumb

Field Music

An Eggsopolitan Movie

Chickencage Experience

The Blue Hour

Rhys Marsh

The Afterman: Ascension

Coheed and Cambria

Dodecahedron

Dodecahedron

All Roads Lead Here

Chimp Spanner

w^w^^w^w

Car Bomb

20/20

Saga

Automata

Milhaven

Espectro

Violeta de Outono

A Blueprint for Chaos

Pinnacle

Son of a Bitches Brew

Acid Mothers Temple

Handlingnoise

Mantiis

Obsidian Kingom

Nightscapes

Lalle Larso

Subkraut: U-Boats Willkommen Hier

Vespero

The Story of Light

Steve Vai

Mind Colours

Soulengine

Pneuma

Hail Spirit Noir

AIRS

S. Brockmann and G. Adrade

XX

Electric Orange

Cosmosophy

Blut Aus Nord

Superautobahn

Seven that Spells

Years Past Matter

Krallice

Beneath the Waves

Kompendium

Magic Handshake

Seid

Battle Scars

Galahad

The Old Man and the Spirit

Beyond the Bridge

Charles Darwin

XII Alfonso

Individuation

Latitudes

Gedanken

Via Obscura

Nature's Choir

Opus Symbiosis

Fade

Cloudkicker

L'Enfant Sauvage

Gojira

Ballad of the Starchild

Naam

El Andarin

La Desooorden

Woodlands

Barret Elmore

Le Porte della Noia

The Balmung

Laughing Stalk

Wovenhand

Travelling Silk Road

The World Heritage

Made in Belgium

Aranis

Urd

Borknagar

20 Years After

The Lifeline Project

Willow Spree

Mescaliner

Mantric Muse

Disclosure

The Gathering

Journey to the Centre of the Earth

Rick Wakeman

Astraea

Rolo Tomassi

Novaja Zemlja

Judas Iskariotin Suudelma

Small Changed We Hardly Notice

Youth Pictures of Florence

Moyen-Age

Ange

Live

Mars Hollow

Map of the Past

It Bites

The Ghost Moon Orchestra

Mostly Autumn

Free Magic

Medeski Martin and Wood

Out of an Ancient World

Riversea

Mirrors

Yugen

Mundo Flotante

Angel Ontalva

X

Tribal Text

Sleep Furiously

Thumpermonkey Lives!

Radiate!

Camera

Joint Clash

Switch Opens

Even Celestina Gets the Blues

17 Pigmies

Tales of Future Passed

Cuerock

Edited by Andy Webb - February 01 2013 at 15:51
Andy Webb View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2013 at 15:35
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

Well, as ever, Andy has put a great deal of work into this, for which I am grateful. So, the following comments should be seen as an observation, not a criticism (God, I'm getting paranoid).

This is a poll like all others, a snapshot of opinion amongst a select group of people, and not necessarily representative of the whole community who love prog, so should not be taken all that seriously. It is interesting. It is informative. It will lead to debate. I really stopped taking a great deal of notice of such things some years ago, probably about the time I realised that Marillion would never win a critics poll againLOL

Wait, they did win that reader's poll in Prog magazine though. Oh well, I didn't take that all too seriously, either, but I do suspect that that poll was slightly more representative of the community as a whole. This is also a little bit of sour grapes on my partWink

14th ain't too shabby for a band who you say won't win any critics polls anymore Tongue

I really liked their new album. It wasn't Marbles, but it was as close to that quality as they've done since.
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2013 at 15:46
Originally posted by Andy Webb Andy Webb wrote:

14th ain't too shabby for a band who you say won't win any critics polls anymore Tongue

I really liked their new album. It wasn't Marbles, but it was as close to that quality as they've done since.

No, my friend, 14th isn't that bad, and my comments were slightly tongue in cheek, although the general point, I think, that any list or poll can never be wholly representative does hold true. What is also true, of course, is that your presentation will, I am sure, introduce some new music to people who might not otherwise have gone to that act without seeing the list, and in that context, it does put the site in a very positive lightThumbs Up
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2013 at 15:48
I'll just say.....thanks so much Andy for your hard work.  Great poll and was lotsa fun.  Clap

Andy Webb View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2013 at 15:48

Originally posted by Andy Webb Andy Webb wrote:

No, my friend, 14th isn't that bad, and my comments were slightly tongue in cheek, although the general point, I think, that any list or poll can never be wholly representative does hold true. What is also true, of course, is that your presentation will, I am sure, introduce some new music to people who might not otherwise have gone to that act without seeing the list, and in that context, it does put the site in a very positive lightThumbs Up

It took me about a half hour to get those damn soundcloud embeds to work again, so it better introduce people to new music! LOL
Roland113 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2013 at 16:00
Thanks Andy, this has been fun!
Anthony H. View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2013 at 16:00
Clockwork Angels is the only album I'm not pleased to see there. I'm actually really dissapointed that it is, particularly since it beat Marillion and Godspeed. I don't understand that in the slightest. 

But an absolutely fantastic list overall! Thanks for your hard work, Andy. And thanks for the quote, as well!

Edited by Anthony H. - February 01 2013 at 16:02
Andy Webb View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2013 at 16:06
To wrap it up, 201-265

#

Album

Artist

Exegesis

The Tacoma Bridge Disaster

Beyul

Yakuza

Rain Shadow

Terraformation

Aged to Perfection

Darxstar

The Sickness and the Theory

Marching Mind

La Bella E La Bestia

Syndone

Sequitur

Steve Hauschildt

The Mind Melting Freak Machine

Dark Sun

Chasing Time

Harvest

The Astromalist

Panzerpappa

Red Forest

If Trees Could Talk

Transmissions From Telos: Vol IV

Lumerians

Fog Electric

North Atlantic Oscillation

The Rime of the Ancient

Hostsonaten

Primary Elements

Sixth Element

La Ou Chimene Dort

AmAndA

(Mankind) The Crafty Ape

Crippled Black Pheonix

Animus

Ocean Architecture

Finer Moments

Frank Zappa

Deep Water Blackout

Deigen

Interference Number 9

Procosmian Fannyfiddlers

Glass Kites

Map of All Our Failures

My Dying Bride

Follow the Fanatic

6LA8

Hidden Album

Kruzenshtern I Parahod

Instrinsic

The Contortionist

Skin

Panic Room

Concerto For Group

Jon Lord

Uncivilized

Bad Salad

A Life Within a Day

Squackett

Vittjar

Kaipa

II

Delusion Squared

Relic of the Modern World

Presto Ballett

Mind Trip in A Minor

Spiral

Angels of Darkness, Demons of Light

Earth

Speak

I and Thou

El Maravilloso Circo De Los…

Gravity Zero

Vibravoid

La Mano di Gloria

Ianva

EXU

Vermu

Garden

Wing Beat Fantastic

Mike Kineally

La Stelle

Incoming Cerebral Overdrive

Materialismus

Zaum

For My Parents

Mono

Nightingale Express

A Liquid Landscape

O Arquiteto

Quarterna Requiem

Coma Ghosts

Comus

Instrumental Tourist

Tim Hecker

Bar Do Thos Grol

Senmuth

Tank Goodness

Panzerballett

Whimsical Weather

Cirrus Bay

Three Wise Monkeys

Alberto Rigoni

Girl on the Castle Steps

Colin Mold

Alpha Omega Alpha

Saturnia

Electric Forest

Gekko Project

Absence Upon a Ground

Subtilior

Nosferatu

Jon Zorn

The Shallows

I Like Trains

Underjordisk Tusmorke

Tusmorke

T

Jacob Jukham

Live in Bloom

Alphataurus

Eteronimie

Vieux Carre

Mother Tongues

The Muffins

rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2013 at 16:10
Thanks Andy!  Glad that my decision to add Rush to my list slid them past the Cookie Monster growls of Enslaved, who I hear will be number 1 on MMA.
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2013 at 16:11
Originally posted by Anthony H. Anthony H. wrote:

Clockwork Angels is the only album I'm not pleased to see there. I'm actually really dissapointed that it is, particularly since it beat Marillion and Godspeed. I don't understand that in the slightest. 

But an absolutely fantastic list overall! Thanks for your hard work, Andy. And thanks for the quote, as well!

Clockwork Angels is the only Rush album I do not own. I have to say that I really did not enjoy the tracks I heard on the radio or streaming, and I think I would hate it if I purchased it, something I thought I would never say about a Rush album.
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2013 at 16:18
Yay. One of my albums is last on the list!
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Anthony H. View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2013 at 16:21

Clockwork Angels is the only Rush album I do not own. I have to say that I really did not enjoy the tracks I heard on the radio or streaming, and I think I would hate it if I purchased it, something I thought I would never say about a Rush album.

It's nearly outrageous how much better Sounds That Can't Be Made is than Clockwork Angels. STCBM really should have made it on the list.
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2013 at 16:30

It's nearly outrageous how much better Sounds That Can't Be Made is than Clockwork Angels. STCBM really should have made it on the list.

E-Dub (Eric), who I really miss around here, has made the point on the Marillion appreciation thread that he doesn't come here too often those days because of an impression that there is an inherent bias against h era Marillion. I think he has a point personally.

Edited by lazland - February 01 2013 at 16:33
Warthur View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2013 at 16:42
Wow, what a list! I can't say I'm surprised to see Anglagard top the list out - they were my #2 pick after Final Conflict's Return of the Artisan (which I'm glad to see at least tied for #76) - but I'm thrilled to see Motorpsycho do so well too, they really deserve it.

I'd say that Marillion are #14 this year for two reasons: firstly, STCBM was really, really good. Secondly, they had an incredible amount of competition. I dare say that if you pitch STCBM against any other recent year it'd do as well and would probably do better than it managed this time.

But yeah, always worth taking these things in a pinch of salt. Personally I'd be interested in rerunning the poll in 5 years or so to see what albums have stood the test of time.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>