Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedCollaborators' Top Albums of 2012

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2013 at 16:49
Originally posted by Warthur Warthur wrote:

Wow, what a list! I can't say I'm surprised to see Anglagard top the list out - they were my #2 pick after Final Conflict's Return of the Artisan (which I'm glad to see at least tied for #76) - but I'm thrilled to see Motorpsycho do so well too, they really deserve it.

Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

This is a poll like all others, a snapshot of opinion amongst a select group of people, and not necessarily representative of the whole community who love prog, so should not be taken all that seriously. It is interesting. It is informative. It will lead to debate. I really stopped taking a great deal of notice of such things some years ago, probably about the time I realised that Marillion would never win a critics poll againLOL
I'd say that Marillion are #14 this year for two reasons: firstly, STCBM was really, really good. Secondly, they had an incredible amount of competition. I dare say that if you pitch STCBM against any other recent year it'd do as well and would probably do better than it managed this time.

But yeah, always worth taking these things in a pinch of salt. Personally I'd be interested in rerunning the poll in 5 years or so to see what albums have stood the test of time.

I agree wholeheartedly with all these points, especially if we rerun the poll at a later point. The results would definitely be different. I might repeat here that this is not to detract from the hard work Andy puts into all of this, it is just the nature of such opinion snapshots.

I could also say that I am very much biased in favour of Marillion, although I did put STCBM behind Sylvan and Ioearth in my contribution.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2013 at 17:12
Excellent work Andy. If there's one big shock with this list, it's that absolutley no Prog Metal of any description makes the top 10. Is Dream Theater and Opeth the only bands people will take note of? That would be really disappointing.

Didn't get many albums last year, but was definitely hoping my top 2, To-Mera and Between the Buried and Me, would have ended up higher on the list, two exceptional albums there. 
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

zravkapt View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2013 at 17:24
Great work Andy!Clap The top ten turned out pretty much the way I figured it would. At least two of mine got in there.
Magma America Great Make Again
valravennz View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2013 at 17:33
Well done again, Andy! Thumbs Up I was very glad to see at least 3 of my picks in the top 10. It was also great to see The Mars Volta up there as well, even though they were not on my list. It was a pity that Dead Can Dance and God Speed You! Black Emporer, did not feature a little higher, but I can live with it! I really enjoyed the poll Big smile

"Music is the Wine that fills the cup of Silence"
- Robert Fripp

Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2013 at 18:21
7th for Noctourniquet eh? Not bad. Tongue
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
aapatsos View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2013 at 18:25
Originally posted by sleeper sleeper wrote:

Excellent work Andy. If there's one big shock with this list, it's that absolutley no Prog Metal of any description makes the top 10. Is Dream Theater and Opeth the only bands people will take note of? That would be really disappointing.

Didn't get many albums last year, but was definitely hoping my top 2, To-Mera and Between the Buried and Me, would have ended up higher on the list, two exceptional albums there. 
I enjoyed To-Mera, really good album, typical high standards but Utopia was further up for me Wink - yes no love for PM this year, even Threshold (good album) was lower than 15th...

We'll make it up next year Approve
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2013 at 19:35
Originally posted by aapatsos aapatsos wrote:

I enjoyed To-Mera, really good album, typical high standards but Utopia was further up for me Wink - yes no love for PM this year, even Threshold (good album) was lower than 15th...

Utopia?

I was quite disappointed with the Threshold album, not bad but I was expecting much better after 5 years, the Headspace album was much better and so was Wilson's performance on it I felt.

HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2013 at 20:27
Originally posted by Horizons Horizons wrote:

7th for Noctourniquet eh? Not bad. Tongue
You needn't have worried.  My Hawkwind ended up at a respectable #104, too.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Gallifrey View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2013 at 01:57
60th for Iamthemorning Big smile

If the poll was taken in a few months time, I'd expect it to be higher, as it's beginning to get the popularity it deserves (currently 3rd on the 2012 charts)
http://thedarkthird.bandcamp.com/
SaltyJon View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2013 at 03:17
Woo, my favorite (and best-placing choice overall) made #15!  Didn't hear any of the top 10 this time round. 
AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2013 at 03:19
Well it turned out OK and I like Anglagard even if it didnt get in my top 10

I am pleased to see Motorpsycho there perhaps should have won it

But Mars Volta didnt deserve it really - just a popular band

Nice to see Rush and the wonderful album by Flower Kings!

Excelelnt job!
Eria Tarka View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2013 at 03:28
Nice to see Noctourniquet so high!
AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2013 at 04:02
Storm Corrosion is another popular album but still not great enough for top 10. Overall though a pleasing result, but popularity reigns supremem in most cases and bands like Shadow Circus that are underrated go way down the list.

aapatsos View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2013 at 04:09

Utopia?

I was quite disappointed with the Threshold album, not bad but I was expecting much better after 5 years, the Headspace album was much better and so was Wilson's performance on it I felt.
Andy, check Distorted Harmony's debut Wink (Utopia)
It actually felt a bit the other way around to me, MoP being better than the loooong Headspace album (still good though) - but yeah I can understand why you were not impressed, it was too 'safe'
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2013 at 06:35

Utopia?

Andy, check Distorted Harmony's debut Wink (Utopia)
It actually felt a bit the other way around to me, MoP being better than the loooong Headspace album (still good though) - but yeah I can understand why you were not impressed, it was too 'safe'

I'm not sure "safe" is quite the word. I remember discussing this with Jared some years ago, Threshold arent likely to surprise but their song writing/composition is usually very strong regardless. It just wasn't as strong as usual for me.

Sadly money's tighter these days, I can't get anywhere near as many albums now as I used too, so theres a lot that I want that I've just had to pass on.

someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2013 at 08:00
ClapThumbs Up Great work again, Andy! The 2012 vintage was on par with that of 2011, both being very good prog years.

I find three of the albums I picked in the top 10 (of which two have the same ranking as i gave them), and only one for which I was the only voter (last year there were four).

I just posted my top 20 in the appropriate thread (click here to view).
Bonnek View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2013 at 09:30

Thanks Andy for another year of hard work Clap

I think the list reflects the love for the long-awaited comebacks, what a year for prog music!

oh - and I think Karl might want to appeal seeing Enslaved in #11 LOL

Haha, that's one bright light on the horizon yes.
Apart from that I must conclude that I'm getting very out of touch with the prevailing music on the site.
I don't see anything in the top 4 tat appeals to me at all.

Edited by Bonnek - February 02 2013 at 09:31
TheGazzardian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2013 at 09:38
As expected, nobody but me voted for my #1 - I'm just into music that obscure! Clearly I am the insider here =P but in seriousness, avant heads are missing out, check out Volcano the Bear!

Overall great list, nice variety!
Nightfly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2013 at 10:03
well done Andy - as with last year you've done a fantastic job and got the results out so quick after the deadline! Did you stay up all night? Wink
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2013 at 10:33
Thanks Andy.  The list is always a great opportunity to make new discoveries.  Plus it's a pretty good quick reference for all the new releases.  I spotted several album by artists that I knew but didn't know they had new stuff out.  2012 has been my driest year for new acquisitions due to unemployment since April.  Looks like that will change soon and I'll have some catching up to do.  Currently taking a chronological trip back in my collection.

So of the seven I got, one made top the top ten - Big Big Train.  All the others are the list of 200.  Note to self, try to find more obscure stuff. Tongue

Edited by Slartibartfast - February 02 2013 at 10:34
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>