Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedCollaborators' Top Albums of 2012

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
TheGazzardian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2013 at 23:53
Originally posted by The Whistler The Whistler wrote:

Deerhoof climbed a couple points this year. Good show lads. 

Aw yeeh
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2013 at 06:18
Originally posted by timothy leary timothy leary wrote:

Well of course there is no top 50 albums it is the top 100 albums and i think if you look you will find Discipline somewhere around 46th or so.  I was not referring to Opeths album being on the top 100 of all time. I still stand by my opinion that the top 100 albums of the year is a more accurate reference tool than is the collaborators poll. Since it is only an opinion you should treat it as such.

I disagree. If by accurate you mean "catters to the average fan who likes mostly Neo, Symphonic and vanilla Prog Metal" then yes, your probably right. However, have you taken a good look at the tastes of the people we have as collabs on this site? The strength of this list is that it comes from a very diverse selection of people, those whose tastes focus on metal, those on Avant/RIO/Zeul, thos eon Neo and Symphonic etc, etc. If an album scores highly, it's because it appeals to a wide range of people and best yet, as a member of this site, I  know these people, or at least have been here long enough to get an understanding of the kind of music most of them like where as with the top 100 lists most of those ratings  come from random people I know nothing about and may in fact have little to no knowledge of prog or focus on a very small section of it. Given that, I'll trust the collab end of year lists far  more (except when it comes to Steven Wilson, I have an allergic reaction to his musicWink), especially with the last couple of years seeing a lot of neo and symphonic albums receiving a lot of 5 star ratings.
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2013 at 08:00
Originally posted by sleeper sleeper wrote:

Well of course there is no top 50 albums it is the top 100 albums and i think if you look you will find Discipline somewhere around 46th or so.  I was not referring to Opeths album being on the top 100 of all time. I still stand by my opinion that the top 100 albums of the year is a more accurate reference tool than is the collaborators poll. Since it is only an opinion you should treat it as such.

I disagree. If by accurate you mean "catters to the average fan who likes mostly Neo, Symphonic and vanilla Prog Metal" then yes, your probably right. However, have you taken a good look at the tastes of the people we have as collabs on this site? The strength of this list is that it comes from a very diverse selection of people, those whose tastes focus on metal, those on Avant/RIO/Zeul, thos eon Neo and Symphonic etc, etc. If an album scores highly, it's because it appeals to a wide range of people and best yet, as a member of this site, I  know these people, or at least have been here long enough to get an understanding of the kind of music most of them like where as with the top 100 lists most of those ratings  come from random people I know nothing about and may in fact have little to no knowledge of prog or focus on a very small section of it. Given that, I'll trust the collab end of year lists far  more (except when it comes to Steven Wilson, I have an allergic reaction to his musicWink), especially with the last couple of years seeing a lot of neo and symphonic albums receiving a lot of 5 star ratings.

Thanks for that Sleeper and I'd tend to agree with your points.

In the end the poll, like any, is just a bit of fun and nothing people should get too worked up over.  

darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2013 at 10:58

vanilla Prog Metal

Vanilla is a pretty good flavor, though I like chocolate more.

But help me understand; Dream Theater, Opeth, Riverside, Haken, and Devin Townsend are probably the 5 biggest prog-metal acts on this site, yet they all have their own unique sound, and play a lot more than just prog-metal. Where does the "vanilla" part come in?
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2013 at 11:19
I would consider DT to be vanilla prog metal :3
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2013 at 11:21
Originally posted by Horizons Horizons wrote:

I would consider DT to be vanilla prog metal :3

Maybe the 90s albums.

But "vanilla" is used in a derogatory sense. Can't a different term be used? I suppose Symphony X, Queensryche, and Fates Warning fall into that "category"? What about Watchtower?

Edited by darkshade - February 09 2013 at 11:22
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2013 at 11:33
I won't get into a debate of which albums would be considered "traditional" prog metal, but i would agree that their 90's albums would easily be described that way. It's kind of hard not to, i understand their influence on the genre at that time. 

I don't listen to any of the other bands, so i won't plop my opinion there. 
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2013 at 11:44
"Traditional" is better, but then that makes it seem like they're not "progressive". Then again, they WERE progressive at the time. So I guess if you mean that for a band releasing albums right now, it might mean they're not very progressive. Dream Theater have definitely mixed it up, for better or worse, since Scenes From A Memory, trying new things and staying mostly current; moving away from their 90s sound that defines many prog-metal bands.
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2013 at 11:46
Originally posted by darkshade darkshade wrote:

vanilla Prog Metal

But help me understand; Dream Theater, Opeth, Riverside, Haken, and Devin Townsend are probably the 5 biggest prog-metal acts on this site, yet they all have their own unique sound, and play a lot more than just prog-metal. Where does the "vanilla" part come in?

I like vanilla a hell of a lot more than chocolate and many other such falvoures.

I use the term to diffirentiate between the standard Prog Metal catagorie we have and the Experimental/Post and Texh/Extreme genres. Yes, Riverside do sound very different to DT, but they are quite unique in that genre thats made up of a lot of DT clones, but not universally.

Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2013 at 11:47
People have labeled Genesis has traditional prog. Whatever word appeals to fans most,  their style has become more linear when compared to other acts with more interesting styles for me. 

darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2013 at 12:03
Like I said, I like "traditional" more than "vanilla. Makes me think "bland".
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2013 at 12:05
I like vanilla. No flavour at all is bland.
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2013 at 12:06
It's the connotation.
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2013 at 12:11
I've used 'Traditional' in the past and had people complaining about it. Can't please every body so bugger it, I'm sticking with vanilla.

Roland113 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2013 at 17:19

vanilla Prog Metal

Point Darkshade
timothy leary View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2013 at 18:32

You are certainly welcome to trust whichever poll you want. I am sure collaborators have not heard the 100 albums of the year in its entirety. Random people have no agenda. A lot of collaborators belong to teams having to do with one sub genre of prog. Maybe you are right, time will tell if collaborators are on the money with their choices.
Andy Webb View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2013 at 18:59

It's the connotation.

The general consensus is vanilla is supposed to entail the usual or standard. Vanilla ice cream, vanilla pudding, etc. It's not supposed to say its bland, just that its the standard form of the music.
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2013 at 06:14

You are certainly welcome to trust whichever poll you want. I am sure collaborators have not heard the 100 albums of the year in its entirety. Random people have no agenda. A lot of collaborators belong to teams having to do with one sub genre of prog. Maybe you are right, time will tell if collaborators are on the money with their choices.

So what does being part of a team have to do with anything? Even as part of the Prog Metal Team I voted for other, none metal albums as well, the collabs are unpaid volanteers who have demonstrated a decent knowledge of prog either in general or in a certain genre. There's no conspiracie(s) going on here, I can assure you.

As for your first two sentancies. A couple of the collabs might have (I'm thinking Windhawk and Coner particularly) but most wont have mostly because there will always be albums that won't appeal to certain people, but I'd bet the "average" collab has heard as much of that list as the "average" prog fan. As for random people having no agenda, did you not see the blatent and offensive level of rating manipulation Perhaps supporters where getting involved in last Autumn?

pianoman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2013 at 11:56
Just curious, who voted for my band? I didn't think we'd get any votes It's nice to know that we appeared on someone's list!
timothy leary View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2013 at 12:24

So what does being part of a team have to do with anything? Even as part of the Prog Metal Team I voted for other, none metal albums as well, the collabs are unpaid volanteers who have demonstrated a decent knowledge of prog either in general or in a certain genre. There's no conspiracie(s) going on here, I can assure you.

As for your first two sentancies. A couple of the collabs might have (I'm thinking Windhawk and Coner particularly) but most wont have mostly because there will always be albums that won't appeal to certain people, but I'd bet the "average" collab has heard as much of that list as the "average" prog fan. As for random people having no agenda, did you not see the blatent and offensive level of rating manipulation Perhaps supporters where getting involved in last Autumn?
I never said collaborators are not competent, nor did I say the collaborators poll is without importance. What I did say is for myself the top 100 albums of the year has more weight than the collaborators poll. As for the abuse of random raters, of course i was aware of it and if you search through past threads i quite often reported such abuse to no avail.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>