Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedKorova Milk Bar

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Korova Milk Bar
    Posted: February 01 2013 at 18:30
I suggest Korova Milk Bar for jazz rock/fusion. 
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2013 at 18:41
^ Please post some videos or audio clips of their music so that the collabs might do something about the suggestion. Might wanna tell us a bit about them as well as explain why you suggested them.

Edited by Dayvenkirq - February 01 2013 at 18:44
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2013 at 09:49
Yeah - which Korova Milkbar are we talking about here?

I'm assuming it's the French band from Brittany: http://rateyourmusic.com/artist/korova_milk_bar_f1, who were also known as Nursery Rhyme and released one self-titled (as Korova Milkbar) album on Musea in 2006 (Musea Parallele MP 3051, & apparently re-issued in 2007): http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp?pid=7104651.

"Instrumentation includes guitar, bass, drums, and piano/organ. An amalgam of prog rock (mainly) and jazz with flourishes of the avant garde. Their music is melodic and riff based with the guitar and keyboard work at the fore supported by some funky bass work (think Jaco Pastorius) and drumming creating a sound that recalls such bands/musicians as Can, Magma, Björk, Genesis, and Ange. Their vocals, except for one track, are in French. Their avant garde element recalls some of the work of Etron Fou Leloublan. This is up front music that grabs you, not for the cosmic dreamer in you."

But it could be the Swedish Indie/Psychedelic Rock band who released four quite well regarded albums: http://rateyourmusic.com/artist/korova_milkbar and http://www.myspace.com/korovamilkbarswe (10 samples).

Or it could be this Korova Milk Bar http://rateyourmusic.com/artist/korova_milk_bar and http://www.discogs.com/artist/Korova+Milk+Bar, who released two albums.

Confused

Not to mention the Spanish Post Rock outfit called La Muñeca de Sal, who were also known as Korova Milk Bar: http://rateyourmusic.com/artist/la_muneca_de_sal

I think I need a lie down...!  Wacko

Edit: These two tracks seem to be from yet another Korova Milk Bar who were formed in 2004 and disbanded in 2006:

Help!!!  Exclamation

Edited by yam yam - February 02 2013 at 10:00
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2013 at 10:05
^ Are they all JRF bands?
seventhsojourn View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2013 at 10:31
You beat me to the punch there David! Smile Yeah, sounds most likely to be the French band...

From Amazon:
KOROVA MILK BAR is a current French band from Britanny, showing high its sense of originality: remember Stanley KUBRICK's masterpiece "Clockwork Orange" ? The musicians thus offer an iconoclastic concept-album, that mixes an incredible amount of different styles. Published in the year 2006 on the Musea Parallèle label, this first eponymous album evolves between CAN, MAGMA, BJÖRK, GENESIS and ANGE. Anything to add ? Based on an ordinary man's evening, between television and computer, KOROVA MILK BAR composes seven songs and an instrumental theme. The band's musical approach, made of fantasy, social contest and irony, recalls the so-called band ETRON FOU LELOUBLAN. It's a fully original music, with intense atmospheres and inspiration. An excellent album !
Product Details

I suggest the OP reads the following before starting any more threads in this section:

yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2013 at 10:59
^^  No, only the first one could vaguely be classed as JR/F. Two others (the second and the last) could possibly be regarded as prog to a certain extent, but we need samples...
I included all the other bands of the same name to indicate how difficult it can be for collabs to deal with a suggestion that contains no info whatsover other than a band name (and even that is spelt differently in the topic title than that of the most likely candidate from the bands discovered)!

Even the French Korovo Milkbar cannot be definitely sent to JR/F for evaluation without samples of some sort - here is a review of their album translated from German from the site: http://www.babyblaue-seiten.de/index.php?content=review&left=year&albumId=8568&year=2006

"Korova Milk Bar apparently come from Brittany (as it is at least at Musea to read). With Gaelic-Celtic folk, the four Frenchmen, who are named after the favorite hangout of the Droogs from Anthony Burgess' novel "A Clockwork Orange", but nothing at all on his hat. Stanley Kubrick, they seem to appreciate, not only because he has filmed the aforementioned novel, the title of track 6 seems to indicate. Korova Milk Bar which have something to care, especially in terms of music, is somewhat difficult to describe.

Florian Bourgeot relies on "Korova Milk Bar" Many different electronic keyboard instruments, which sometimes generate floating-threatening soundscapes, but provide bass, guitar and drums always a weighty rock foundation. Korova Milk Bar with electronic music so did not care much. Florian Bourgeot is usually heard at the Farfisa organ with which he creates quite comforting retro sounds. Korova Milk Bar with Retroprog but also have nothing to do. So what you can hear now? Electronically-retro progressive keys sounds, intricate drumming, virtuoso bass accompaniment and wavig-punk, booming-crashing or floydig-bluesy guitar deposits encounter relatively emotionless text recitations in French and all sorts of samples, fragments of speeches, radio recordings and other sounds. Sung properly is only in the last two numbers. This leaves the whole relatively melodic and harmonious, so right oblique RIO realms are not actually achieved (well, almost). Rather the whole thing has something Waviges.
Korova Milk Bar with New Wave but also have nothing to do.

Korova Milk Bar sounds like a mixture of Etron Fou Leloublan, Chrome, Ulan Bator and Tuxedomoon provided, however, with the already mentioned "vintage" electric keyboard sounds and a dash of punk and electronic neo-psychedelia. How does that sound? Well, "We Need You" is e.g. only from pounding piano lines and droning guitar, accompanied by all sorts of aggressive speech samples (including excerpts from speeches Goebbels). The long "HAL 9000" weaves oblique, spacey cosmic keys and guitar sounds into an intense whole. In the introductory "Une voix" it is by Post Rock-meager, but quite vigorous start jazzy properly and "Apres tout" is a resounding piano song that dissolves it in all sorts of strange, psychedelic distorted guitar loops, hissing and bubbling synth lines and effektverfremdete vocals.
In the concluding "Le Mec" it rocks hard and then do herby.

How to categorize the whole I do not really know. Terms like retro wave, neo-psychedelic avant-pop or electro punk rock collagen I've sucked out of your fingers, but in the end Korova Milk Bar have thus not care much. A lot of fun to me makes the wheel anyway and I recommend anyone curious and courageous Progger who is always looking for something different, strongly recommend a listen here again!"

Doesn't sound convincingly like JR/F material from that review...

"Korova Milk Bar" is the self-titled album Korova Milk Bar. That way, at least on this point, things are simple. By cons on the album itself, it's much more complicated. Not that the music is difficult àécouter, on the contrary, or that the words are of complexity Kant, on the contrary, too, but the fact that the music is Korova Milk Bar is one of the most diverse ever.

It goes in all directions. Jazz-rock, prog-rock, hard-rock, ambient, industrial, classical, anything goes, and better yet, nothing is indigestible because past the surprise is   when they all play. Impressive because it seems easy and almost natural when Korova Milk Bar is evidence which is a damn good band.

It also says, Korova Milk Bar has through all styles his own style. But it is at least in music, we would have suspected that in the lyrics. Here, we feel Korova Milk Bar is why so called. Finally, I mean if you saw "Clockwork Orange". This is the same world coldly impersonal and futuristic future but we Korova Milk describes Bar.Et therefore, no doubt that the group Moloko dream sweetly in more musical harmonic in amazing if you prefer. Yes, nicely. Because we feel that behind the words as hallucinatory or disenchanted lies a good humor and fierce irony.

Korova Milk Bar and when not singing humanly speaking, this is a computer that takes over in "Hal 9000". A feat that song. And yet it was enough to think about it. Sampler anguished monologue and pre-mortem computer from "2001: A Space Odyssey" and set it to music. The result is spectacular. But it is always thus with Korova Milk Bar, in which each idea is beautifully exploited.

A great Congratulation to Breton group consisting of Aurélien Bourgeot (drums and vocals), Florian Bourgeot (keyboards), Maxime Current (bass) and Fabien the Berre (Guitars). I bet, given their average age of 22, the young members of this formation as inventive as talented have a magnificent future ahead of them."

© Frédéric Gerchambeau

It certainly seems like a band we can add to the site somewhere, but can you provide any samples of the album for the teams to work with? Ermm

Edit: Here's a detailed review that was actually written in English: http://www.progressor.net/review/korova_milk_bar_2006.html

TRACK LIST:
1. Une Voix (5:00)
2. Methode Coue (3:32)
3. We Need You (3:54)
4. Le Plus Beau Jour De Votre Vie (6:16)
5. Deconnexion (7:19 )
6. HAL 9000 (10:05)
7. Apres Tout (5:46)
8. Le Mec (6:57)

LINEUP:
Aurelien Bourgeout / drums, vocals
Florian Bourgeout / keyboards
Maxime Courant / bass
Fabien Le Berre / guitar

"Prolusion. The eponymous KOROVA MILK BAR (KMB hereinafter) album is definitely the debut release of this band, which hails from France. Korova is a Russian word meaning Cow, though this remark is destined not for New-Yorkers, who have their own Korova Milk Bar (known far outside NYC, by the way).

Analysis. Apart from the four musicians mentioned in the lineup above, Florian Bourgeout playing exclusively vintage organs and pianos, this album features the performance of saxophonist Julien Come. Unfortunately Julien is present only on the first track, Une Voix, while it's just thanks to him that this composition turns out to be the richest in sound and the best track in general. During the first minute the picture is vintage-like, yet original-sounding Hard Rock with vocals, whereas the rest of the piece is purely instrumental stuff steering somewhere between RIO and Jazz-Fusion where the guitar, bass and drums follow notated lines, while the organ, piano and sax provide improvisations. The subsequent seven tracks are all remarkable too, some being excellent in every respect, but none seems to be a complete masterwork like Une Voix, due to the absence of such an essential voice as a saxophone. Anyway, I am not one of those asserting there is something pagan:-), if not just heretical in the approach of a traditional Rock / Prog quartet's performing RIO without any brass or string instrument in the folder, which in turn is the essence of this creation, even though the idiom more often manifests itself latently than openly. That being said, without Julien KMB don't flirt with jazz harmonies, producing only composed improvisations, besides which the number of such never exceeds that of the solos done strictly in a symphonic vein. Apart from Une Voix, the highlights include the longest three tracks, HAL 9000, Deconnexion and Le Mec, the former being the only vocal-free piece, and the others largely instrumental. Each is full of effective contrasts and sudden transitions, but while the group still tends to RIO, this time around they much more carefully blend this style with others (here Symphonic Progressive, there Hard Rock or quasi Jazz-Fusion), not accenting the dissonances and atonalities, but instead camouflaging them, trying to distance the matter from the genre's canonical emanation as far as possible, which cannot go unnoticed or remain without approval either. By the way, the music is aesthetically beautiful and surprisingly imaginative, despite its singularity and complexity. Structurally, Le Plus Beau Jour De Votre Vie has much common ground with the said three, although it's almost free of edgy textures, revealing elements of French chanson instead. But inasmuch as this is the only piece that is rich in vocals it should've been used as an opener. Unlike any of the other songs, which are in French, We Need You features English lyrics, though they are narrated rather than sung. This is a dark and brooding composition combining heavy RIO and Minimalist music, and is very picturesque as well. Apres Tout and Methode Coue are, respectively, the most atmospheric and the heaviest tracks on the CD. There are no angular constructions on these at all, but nevertheless the spirit of the band's favorite genre seems to be hovering here as well.

Conclusion. I view most of this album as a sort of apocryphal RIO, though perhaps Post-RIO would be a better definition for it. In any event, the music is pronouncedly innovative, revealing more and more interesting nuances with each successive listen. Those always looking for something unusual in Prog should be the first to taste this dish offered by Korova Milk Bar."

VM: October 19, 2006

And anyone who can use deezer can listen to it all here: http://www.deezer.com/en/artist/313065.  Big smile

The fourth of the Korova Milkbars listed above is on spotify:
http://open.spotify.com/artist/1FwGp6w60KqfmEA6TT5ZXa, but not the French one. Cry

Edited by yam yam - February 02 2013 at 11:32
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2013 at 12:16
Awesome work, David!

I can only listen to the 30-second samples there... I already listened to short samples via amazon. Certainly sounds promising for addition to the site, but of course we don't know for sure that we're talking about the correct Korova Milk Bar. Wink

Hopefully the OP will confirm and at least provide music samples so we can pass to one of the teams for evaluation...

yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2013 at 13:02
Full samples played fine for me on deezer, Chris - but I was logged in to facebook, and my facebook id was displayed on the right hand top corner of the deezer page. Try that - it should work for you. Smile
Prog_Traveller View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2013 at 02:05
I couldn't find any samples but then again I didn't go crazy looking. Sorry. Sometimes nothing comes up.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2013 at 02:19
^ Please bear in mind that we need music samples in order to evaluate an artist.

Is it the band from Brittany that you are suggesting for inclusion?
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2013 at 12:02
Okay, I've bought the download from Amazon and have been listening to this today. I'm thinking of either Eclectic or Avant for this. It's not terribly challenging but does feature complexity, dissonance, unpredictable shifts and fusion of disparate styles. It may well end up with the Eclectic boys but I'm gonna ask Avant to check it first.
DamoXt7942 View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Avant/Cross/Neo/Post Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2013 at 00:15
Checked their eponymous album.

Tough case indeed, experimental (not remarkably) avantgarde texture mixed with psych, post, heavy ...
Sounds not purely avant for me, Eclectic can be their best place IMHO.

http://progfreak.com/Korova-Milk-Bar-155549.html?path=pa/raz
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2013 at 17:23
Korova Milk Bar have been cleared for addition in RIO / Avant.

Upon working for their addition now.
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2013 at 00:19
 Post Reply Post Reply