Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedLemur Voice - Insights

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lemur Voice - Insights
    Posted: July 26 2005 at 16:10
I haven't seen anyone yet on progarchives talking about Lemur Voice, so lets change that!

The album Insights is one of my top 10 prog metal albums, surely there are people here who have listened to it? There are such amazing jewels on this ones, especially Akasha Chronicles , Deep Inside and Prime Of Passion. This is prog metal the way I love it the most. Very tight but still atmosperic songs performed by very talented musicians. The follow up, Divided, I don't really like that much.

So, who has heard Insights (more than a quick spin)?
Currently listening to:
- Andromeda
- Pagan's Mind
- Kamelot
Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2005 at 17:55

Sorry Progzilla, I used to own Insights, and I thought it was very bland and uninteresting..

it probably got 6-8 listens (the minimum I'll give any album) and then headed for the second hand store...

I hope someone comes along to this thread and raves about it with you, then you can have a laugh at my expense..

Music has always been a matter of energy to me. On some nights I believe that a car with the needle on empty can run 50 more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio. Hunter S Thompson
MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2005 at 18:04
Don't know the band, but I downloaded "Intuition" and it's not bad. I'll listen to it some more ...
Scratchy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2005 at 18:05

Great interplay between bass/guitar/keyboards.Gregoor van der Loo - what a sensational voice.First heard Memory Lane sample track - it hooked me in.I played this album to death a few years back.Must be rated up with the best Dream Theatre albums.Marcel Coenen plays some great licks but you sense that he prefered the shread type of guitar sound,which I am not a great fan of,which he overdone on Divided.Franck Faber is one of the best keyboard players I have heard in a metal type band as well.

You sense there maybe a bit of musical tension between Gregoor van der Loo & Marcel Coenen,perhaps.

PS I have mentioned this group in the past.Have you heard any of Gregoor van der Loo stuff recently.I heard some clips but sound quality wasn't that great - Rovigo(something or other) - which included 2 step tracks!!!

Cesar Inca View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2005 at 22:50

From their debut album, 'Akasha Chronicles' is a stunning instrumental. My fave tracks are 'Prime of Passion' and 'Alone', with 'Celestial Haze'/'Deep Inside' as a close second. Their prog metal stule was very origina ldespite the obvious DT influences: their melodic sense brought them pretty close to the spirit of old fashioned symphonic prog, and the fact is that their compositions were very attractive, indeed.

Regards.

TheProgtologist View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2005 at 23:10
I like Lemur Voice,not a bad prog metal band at all.LV guitarist  Marcel Coenen now plays guitars in a good prog metal band called Sun Cage.

Progzilla View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2005 at 03:38
Originally posted by fandango fandango wrote:

Sorry Progzilla, I used to own Insights, and I thought it was very bland and uninteresting..

it probably got 6-8 listens (the minimum I'll give any album) and then headed for the second hand store...

I hope someone comes along to this thread and raves about it with you, then you can have a laugh at my expense..

At least you gave it a shot! I guess it doesn't work for everyone. Someone got a bargain at the second hand store though .
Currently listening to:
- Andromeda
- Pagan's Mind
- Kamelot
Progzilla View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2005 at 03:50
Originally posted by Scratchy Scratchy wrote:

Great interplay between bass/guitar/keyboards.Gregoor van der Loo - what a sensational voice.First heard Memory Lane sample track - it hooked me in.I played this album to death a few years back.Must be rated up with the best Dream Theatre albums.Marcel Coenen plays some great licks but you sense that he prefered the shread type of guitar sound,which I am not a great fan of,which he overdone on Divided.Franck Faber is one of the best keyboard players I have heard in a metal type band as well.

You sense there maybe a bit of musical tension between Gregoor van der Loo & Marcel Coenen,perhaps.

PS I have mentioned this group in the past.Have you heard any of Gregoor van der Loo stuff recently.I heard some clips but sound quality wasn't that great - Rovigo(something or other) - which included 2 step tracks!!!

At last, I'm not alone!

I think Coenen is fenomenal on guitar, I really like his solos. And van der Loo's voice is perfect for songs like deep inside. The keyboards are quite prominent, but overall the balance and interplay between the instruments is great, as you said.

I havent heard any van der Loo stuff, but I have Coenens Sun Caged album, which is ok.

What do you think about Divided?
Currently listening to:
- Andromeda
- Pagan's Mind
- Kamelot
Progzilla View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2005 at 03:54
Originally posted by MikeEnRegalia MikeEnRegalia wrote:

Don't know the band, but I downloaded "Intuition" and it's not bad. I'll listen to it some more ...

Be careful not to judge the album based on Intuition, it's the weakest track by far! I think you will enjoy this album, looking at your playlist... very nice playlist page you've got there by the way.
Currently listening to:
- Andromeda
- Pagan's Mind
- Kamelot
khalpin View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2005 at 09:28
I like "Akasha Chronicles" a lot.  It's a great instrumental.  The rest of the album didn't really do anything for me, though.  Although I haven't listened to it in years.  Maybe I'll give it another spin.
dropForge View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2005 at 22:25
Divided is much better than Insights; they sound like they hadn't yet found their "voice" (har-dee-har-har) on the latter.
Renzo Sánchez View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2008 at 19:31
Insights is a little joy, i'll try to obtain divided too, i'm sure i wont be dissapointed. Lemur Voice is not popular like others, i,m convinced more people hears it the more fans 4 a group like this, but the worst problem is that there is no more albums...
Moatilliatta View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2008 at 20:23
They are clearly dextrous musicians, and there are some good tunes like "Akasha Chronicles," but they didn't come off as anything other than ordinary. Honestly, I didn't give Insights that much of a shot because it sounded like nothing new or special, regardless of the quality with with which the music was played.
www.last.fm/user/ThisCenotaph
el böthy View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2008 at 21:51
Are they DT inspired? If so... I have no interest in them
"You want me to play what, Robert?"
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2008 at 00:04
I have their album and have reviewed it. I gave it two stars. They have a good song "Intuition" and a fantastic instrumental "alaska chronicles"... but the rest is kind of dull and uninspired... at times they really do sound like copy-paste of DT... I don't think is one of the better "clones" out there... Listenable, good to hear a little bit, but not good in the long run, as it's hardly original and not even that interesting. Musicians are good, the lyrics are terrible, awful, the singer has no energy. All in all, a band that, at least in "insights" didn't prove anything. I've tried to get their second disc as I've read good things about it but it's been impossible 
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2008 at 02:06
Originally posted by The T The T wrote:

Listenable, good to hear a little bit, but not good in the long run, as it's hardly original and not even that interesting. Musicians are good, the lyrics are terrible, awful, the singer has no energy.

Greg van der Loo has an okay voice but sometimes it sounds like he's straining to hit a note (just like James!). The drummer wrote all the lyrics and obviously takes more cues from Peart than Portnoy. If you want Insights to sound great, though, all you have to do is have a listen to (labelmates) Altura's debut! Did those guys drop off the face of the planet or what?

Yorkie X View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2008 at 12:19
I have both their CDs   I am not a big fan of the vocals but the music is great prog metal intelligent and sophisticated (if thats possible being prog metal and all cough cough)   ... worth checking them out for sure

Edited by Yorkie X - April 18 2008 at 12:25
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2008 at 12:29
Originally posted by Yorkie X Yorkie X wrote:

I have both their CDs   I am not a big fan of the vocals but the music is great prog metal intelligent and sophisticated (if thats possible being prog metal and all cough cough)   ... worth checking them out for sure

No that's not possible. All prog metal is stupid, prehistoric, neanderthal, rustic, noisy... it's a mess... I don't have a clue what it's doing in this site of enlightment.....

What a bunch of cavemen and cavewomen make this site, don't you think?
lucas View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2008 at 17:23
Check out Altura or Enchant's "Wounded".
"Magma was the very first gothic rock band" (Didier Lockwood)
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2008 at 19:04
Originally posted by lucas lucas wrote:

Check out Altura or Enchant's "Wounded".

I've read mixed reviews... but i think that the overall impression is too much DT-clonism... is it true?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>