Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhat decade did you first get into prog?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 78910>
Poll Question: In what decade did you first get into prog?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
65 [34.21%]
34 [17.89%]
13 [6.84%]
46 [24.21%]
8 [4.21%]
24 [12.63%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2014 at 15:09
Originally posted by Xonty Xonty wrote:

Just about the 2010s. First prog song I heard was "The Spirit Of Radio" after I got it for Christmas 2009. I didn't listen to any more Rush for a year or 2 later so I'll go for 2010s Smile

I think this is fantastic. So many years after the genre started, and peaked commercially, people are still coming along here brand new and looking to explore and widen their knowledge.

Really like your posts, Xonty, and I am more than a little bit thoughtful that it is now 38 years since I was similarly introduced to this great genre. A lot has happened since.

Enjoy the journey!Thumbs Up

Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
silverpot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2014 at 16:37
Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

Are you just highlighting the perceptual confusion of the Swedes?

Yes, it was an answer to Prog_Traveller and my point was that even if Floyd and their ilk wasn't called prog in the 60s, it was still prog. Just like Dean so eloquently pointed out before me. I think we put too much importance into a word and it can be misunderstood in some parts of the world.

And yes, I'm afraid I know a lot about Swedish progg, too much in fact. LOL
proggman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2014 at 17:36
Originally posted by silverpot silverpot wrote:

I might add that the term Prog is still not in general use for this kind of music in Sweden today. That word makes people think of a different genre, very left oriented political rattling.
When I try to explain what I listen to I have to describe it as "British progressive, Pink Floyd and Genesis, you know". LOL

^ nothing to do with the fact that they're completely different words denoting different things? (progg v Prog)Ermm
The latter being the reason we're on this site and the former being a left wing anti-commercial arts/music/theatre/music movement in Sweden that ran parallel to Progressive Rock from the late 60's to the late 70's.
You would know considerably more about the differences than I so what's your point exactly? Are you just highlighting the perceptual confusion of the Swedes?

My username comes from this confusion.
When he rides, my fears subside.
For darkness turns once more to light.
Through the skies, his white horse flies.
To find a land beyond the night.
Kentucky_Hawkwindage View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2014 at 19:24
I'm 52,so it was the 70's for me.At the time i had no idea it was "prog".Just thought of it as great music!
Prog_Traveller View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2014 at 19:47
Originally posted by silverpot silverpot wrote:

Are you just highlighting the perceptual confusion of the Swedes?

Yes, it was an answer to Prog_Traveller and my point was that even if Floyd and their ilk wasn't called prog in the 60s, it was still prog. Just like Dean so eloquently pointed out before me. I think we put too much importance into a word and it can be misunderstood in some parts of the world.

And yes, I'm afraid I know a lot about Swedish progg, too much in fact. LOL

Yes we call it prog retroactively which I suppose isn't such a bad thing but for some reason saying you got into prog in the sixties just sounds funny to me. I don't mean that in a disrespectful way and I acknowledge the origins are in that decade but nobody went around saying they were into prog then. So to me that's just funny. I suppose I'll never get over that. LOL but it's ok. I remember this girl in college mentioning to me something about sixties heavy metal bands. I asked her what bands from the sixties were heavy metal and she said Steppenwolf. That made me chuckle too. Smile Now if she said Led Zeppelin that might have been at least a little easier for me to take seriously. Tongue

Edited by Prog_Traveller - April 05 2014 at 19:50
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2014 at 22:18
Originally posted by Prog_Traveller Prog_Traveller wrote:

^ Yes but even now most of those bands are not considered prog these days but instead proto prog. Just playing devil's advocate here. ;) I personally think in retrospect many of them are "real prog" whatever that means if you consider how all the song oriented stuff and neo prog that is considered prog these days. Not to knock neo prog or anything but much of it has very simple song structures and is in verse chorus. So yes Dean if it's important to you then you win this conversation. :D I was just saying people didn't think of it as prog or progressive rock at the time(probably)but you are right that it doesn't really matter and what matters is what they were listening to. Anyway, I'm wondering if any of the 9 people who voted 90's on here are following this thread. I have a couple of questions for you. One, how did you discover prog in the 90's and what band or album got you into prog in the 90's? Also, did you get into prog in the 90's because of the internet.

Actually, I voted 2000's, and kind of explained this on my post. But really, I started knowing about prog bands since the 90's, just didn't know they were prog, and I started following prog as a genre until the 2000's, thanks to Yes and this site (thus, thanks to the internet).

However, in the 90's, when I started getting interested in music (just about highschool), one of the first bands I got really interested on was Pink Floyd, so that's a start in the prog direction. Then, I was checking out some vinyls my grandma has, and found some very nice things there... among them, Focus' "Hamburger Concerto" and Harmonium's "Cinquiem Saison". My grandma really liked Hamburger Concerto and was interested on my reaction to it, though she didn't seem to care much for Harmonium. I did like Focus sooner, in part because of puting the wrong speed once or twice when playing it, so it sounded even weirder, but eventually I came to love both and getting their albums too (though I'm afraid I got the Harmonium ones downloading them because they weren't available on CD when I wanted them... now I think I can buy then through Amazon, but I still have that among my things to do). I got to listen to many other nice things from my grandma, most notably Jethro Tull's "Live, bursting out", and Yes' "Relayer", but those ones didn't click at the time and came back at them until the 00's when I was checking out those bands respectivley.

Then, there was a friend also on Highschool, who helped me find out about Pink Floyd lending me some tapes from them that I recorded before buying the albums. She also lent me a tape from Rick Wakeman's "King Arthur" album, which I did came to love too... though I had no idea who this Wakeman guy was, nor what he played, or if he was the singer, etc. She also got me interested in Alan Parsons, from whom I later got their discography.

And so, after getting some Wakeman albums too, I got interested in Yes because of that connection, and was looking for information about him, and Yes, and so on, and ended up in PA and prog by the 00's, and the rest is history. So, yes, it was because of the internet, but even before that there were people who knew and liked prog that pointed me into that direction, even if they didn't know about the genre as such too.

And there were some other potential posibilities for getting me into prog at this times that didn't get a hold at the time, like an aunt of mine that really love The Moodie Blues and I listened to some albums once I went to visit her at the US... and I did like them, but didn't get much further into them... until now, that I got a 4 CD compilation and am planning on getting "Days of Future Past" too (more than 10 years later, even 15 perhaps).
bhikkhu View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2014 at 13:00
I listened to prog bands in the 70s but didn't really get "into it" until I heard Foxtrot around 1980.
Ian Stuart View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2014 at 21:40
I hit the big 60 a mere 5 weeks ago - so I cut my teeth on In The Court Of The Crimson King! 
Imperial Zeppelin View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2014 at 21:50
Around two years ago. I'm still a fresh pie you know.
"Hey there, Dog Man, now I drink from your bowl."
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2014 at 22:28
After the British Invasion I bought my first album which was The Rolling Stones Now. My second album was Meet The Beatles.
I continued to buy albums until the end of the 70s and continued to be a fan to this day.
Michael678 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2014 at 23:10
i knew about prog since 2007-2008 but i didn't start officially until 2011 with Yes, so the 2010's it is, and also, another thing........ FFFFFFIIIIIRRRRRRSSSSSSTTTTTTT CCCOOOOMMMMEEEENNNTTT OOOOFFFFF TTTWWEENNTTTTYYYY-FFIIIIFFFFTTTEEENNNNN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HHHAAAPPPYYYY NNNEEEWWW YYYEEEAAAARRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! StarStarStarStarStarStarStarStarStarStar did anyone get that at all whatsoever??

Edited by Michael678 - December 31 2014 at 23:11
Progrockdude
addictedtoprog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2014 at 23:50
Got the addiction in 2013.
Before that i was into PF, Classic Rock, Metal, Alternative Rock, Grunge.. From all i noticed that i was more fond of the songs that were somewhat different.
That "Different" led me to Prog.
Voted 2010's.

Edited by addictedtoprog - December 31 2014 at 23:53
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2015 at 00:20
As I consider the release of Strawberry Fields in '67 to be the beginning of prog, my vote goes for the 60's as I had every new Beatles album within a month or two of their release Wink
qwiksand View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2015 at 10:27
First introduction for me was mid 70s, Deep Purple's "Fireball" and soon migrated on.
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2015 at 18:37
I listened to Prog by happenstance in the 70s but didn't become a self-identified "Progger" until about 1980.
Luna View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2015 at 19:02
Discovered Dream Theater in 2009 then checked out similar bands and influences and now I'm here.
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2015 at 01:55
'70s (more or less). I was lucky round where I lived when I were a wee lad. There were a lot of students and 20 somethings into KC (Lizard). Tull - LITP, Benefit, PF - AHM, Meddle and for some reason this primary school time intro stuck. Cream, Stones, Moodies (probaby the first hence the more or less b it at the intro - Oh, a prog post reprise moment) also. Oh and Monster Mash,

Still yet to get into the music though, I mean like seriously. The songs are so long. I have to keep playing them over and over 'cause I forget how they began by the time they finish.
Flight123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2015 at 09:06
Thanks to the Alan Freeman Saturday Afternoon Rock Show on Radio 1 (sorry non UK readers) my gateway into prog!! 

Of course, it was generally known as 'contemporary rock' back then...
Davesax1965 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2015 at 11:10
Early 1970's. Blame my older uncles. Listening to early Yes and Floyd - after the albums had just come out - with accompanying proper liquid light show from an oil wheel projector. 

Freak further than out, man. ;-)

SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2015 at 11:39
Age Discrimination!! Shame on you PT. LOL  I first got into prog in 1969 listening to Abbey Road immediately followed by ItCotKC. Wink

Edited by SteveG - January 03 2015 at 11:41
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 78910>