4 [21.05%]
9 [47.37%]
6 [31.58%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin & Razor Guru

Direct Link To This Post Topic: E-Readers (Kindle/Kobo etc)
    Posted: February 12 2013 at 07:16
I used to be 100% against e-readers, preferring the feel, look & physicality of a real book (like many people, I love going to friends' houses & browsing through their bookshelves), but I have to say, I've been converted...

95% of my reading is for pure pleasure, escapism & entertainment & I do find the convenience of a Kindle (my e-reader of choice) to be a boon. Even though I always buy books by my favorite authors as and when they appear, for those inbetween times when I just want to read for the sake of it, I enjoy looking through the Kindle Store on Amazon for new (to me) authors with good reviews at a cheap price - most recent discovery, 'The Mariner' by Ade Grant; fantastic book - yes, I know, sometimes the proof-reading on transcription can leave a little to be desired, but for £0.70, where's the downside?

So, are you a 100% e-reader or like me, a mostly-e-reader, or like I used to be, utterly against the things?

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012
Moogtron III View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2013 at 07:27
I'm not against the things, I just never tried them out.
I have enough books to read in my house and the library.
My experience with electronic devices is that once you try them out, you keep using them, so I could imagine myself being an enthusiastic e-reader - user in the future.  
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2013 at 07:40
I still use to read from paper. I use a screen or my mrs's i-pad for reading internet pages. But that doesn't mean I regard e-readers as evil bloody things because the degree of evil is determined by the content, not by the device.
It's more that I like to feel the paper and to look at the book. When I visit someone else's place, one of the first things I do - instinctively - is looking at the books, records and CD's.
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2013 at 09:31
I still have some proper books that I need to read but I'm well on the road to 100% e-books.

For example, Jim, as you're a fellow fan:  I read the entirety of the Song of Fire and Ice series on my tablet.
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2013 at 09:38
Never!!!!

..yet.
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2013 at 09:42
I'm not a fan of gadgets but the Kindle is one device which is actually worth owning imo.  Easy on the eyes, and allows me to read much content without having books to store and deal with. 

I still want a book when the book means something to me.  But unless the book is special, I'm happy to kindle it.  So, for me, it's a different situation than music downloading for sure.

Jim Garten View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2013 at 11:09
Originally posted by Padraic Padraic wrote:

For example, Jim, as you're a fellow fan:  I read the entirety of the Song of Fire and Ice series on my tablet.

Ah, now that's a series of books I will continue to buy in their physical form

Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

...the Kindle is one device which is actually worth owning imo. Easy on the eyes, and...

...also makes it a lot easier of a weekend morning to read whilst eatng a bacon sandwich

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2013 at 13:49
Used to be a paper chap, but now have the Kindle app on my iPad, and buy exclusively on that.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2013 at 14:01
Truth be told, I really like audiobooks.  I don't particularly like reading, either via paper or electronic doo dad.  I can never get comfortable and it makes my neck sore.  But being able to shut your eyes and read while lying down, or read while you sit in traffic, now THAT's my kind of reading.   I've always had more of an audio aesthetic rather than visual anyway.

As for the poll, though, I still prefer "real" books to electronic.  Though I've really only tried one e-book, and it wasn't bad.  Not on a Kindle, but on my Samsung Galaxy tablet, which I'm not that nuts about.

Edited by HolyMoly - February 12 2013 at 14:03
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2013 at 14:20
I got a Nook for christmas but I prefer paper books so haven't actually read a book on it yet, though I have grabbed a couple of old tomes from the Guttenberg project to read sometime.

One place I have found the ebook to be very useful is in the kitchen, it takes up less space and can be wiped clean - I've converted several recipes to pdf (one of the reasons why I got a nook - it reads pdfs) and even downloaded a few from the BBC food website which does the conversion for you.
What?
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2013 at 17:20
I have had an iPad for the last two years.

I have never read an ebook on it.

I have read dozens of physical books in the last two years. And bought even more.

Just as with music and cds, I'm an dinosaur. A dinosaur I am and a dinosaur I'll die. I prefer my physical books and cds. I hate having all the things I like hidden in a hard drive.
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2013 at 22:17
I still don't like the idea of paying for what are essentially computer files so I doubt I'll jump on this craze but I have nothing against them.

Of course, I'm also at least 10 years behind technology so perhaps my interest will be piqued at a later date.
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2013 at 02:32
I too have the Kindle app on my iPad, but much prefer the Kindle itself; althoough it is a good app for iPad, Samsung tablets etc, I find the gloss screen a bit of a pain - the Kindle has a matt non-reflective screen which I find easier on the eye for prolonged reading.

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012
*frinspar* View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2013 at 04:05
I have about 30 paper books stockpiled to read.
I've had them for a couple of years.
That's because I got an iPod Touch 4th gen a while back and started reading books on that. Then I got an iPad 2. Same deal, but worse. Or better, really.

I keep thinking I need to get some audio books so I can convert them to play on my old 20GB iPod from 2004 to drift off to. Falling asleep to old "Newhart" episodes is not as beneficial to shaping good dreams as a great narrated story could be.

I think at one point I wanted to pretend that real books are the be-all-end-all and I should be all curmudgeonly and stodgy about upgrading, like someone who thinks prog lived and died in the 70s and nothing made since has been worth listening to. But honestly, it's so much more reasonable to move forward with the rest of the world and use the newest tools we have to access the things I want to experience the greatest enjoyment..
*frinspar* View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2013 at 04:07
Originally posted by Man With Hat Man With Hat wrote:

I still don't like the idea of paying for what are essentially computer files so I doubt I'll jump on this craze but I have nothing against them.

Of course, I'm also at least 10 years behind technology so perhaps my interest will be piqued at a later date.

This is the only place I come to where that word isn't spelled and accepted as "peaked." LOL
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2013 at 05:29
^^^

Originally posted by *frinspar* *frinspar* wrote:

I think at one point I wanted to pretend that real books are the be-all-end-all and I should be all curmudgeonly and stodgy about upgrading, like someone who thinks prog lived and died in the 70s and nothing made since has been worth listening to. But honestly, it's so much more reasonable to move forward with the rest of the world and use the newest tools we have to access the things I want to experience the greatest enjoyment..

Very true - I used to be exactly the same, until I realised I was using virtually the same argument against e-readers as I used to against digital photography (I was a vehement 'proper' film camera user, but now all my cameras are digital, except one & when I use that I always get confused, as when I take the shot it doesn't appear on the back ).

My inner Luddite is muttering darkly as I type, BTW

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2013 at 06:59
I use a Kindle for reading on the Tube. It's great for paperbacks that I would normally buy, read, take up space on a bookshelf somewhere and then donate to the charity shop.
Having said that you can't beat a real book for some things. Reading "The Complete Beatles Recording Sessions" on a Kindle just wouldn't be the same.
And it's black and white.
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2013 at 07:14
Well..... not everything I read or want to read is available as e-book, but about 90% of the time I read electronically. My Kindle died during vacation in Canada (someone stepped on the screen by accident after it fell on the floor of our RV), so I use the Kindle app on my Motorola Xoom, as well as on my laptop.
ISKC Rock Radio
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2013 at 07:32
Nice bass in the avatar Angelo.

It's strange that you can now get a Kindle app on Android so you don't even need a Kindle now. If only my Nexus had better battery life I would just use that instead of the Kindle.
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2013 at 08:28
The app has been around for almost 3 years now. After all, for Amazon Kindle is only a sales mechanism, not a product that needs to bring profit by itself.

And thanks for the compliment on the bass. It's mine, I built it last year - and am awaiting a new neck from Warmoth to make it even nicer (delivery in about 10 weeks from now).
ISKC Rock Radio
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>