Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMakkiwhipdies

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Makkiwhipdies
    Posted: February 16 2013 at 15:03
I'm kind of surprised this band Makkiwhipdies is not in PA already. I don't get that at all. I had their first album back in the late nineties. It's wacked out but I'd categorize it as either eclectic prog or maybe symphonic prog or possibly avant garde. IT's so hard to pin down. There's a big Zappa influence but there's also elements of ELP and Mike Oldfield.

Their first album called "his name is nnnnnnnn" is really great prog imo and an unsung treasure from the nineties. They released another album at some point after this one. Unfortunately I believe there's only one youtube clip from this band.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bJTNIp1894

Edited by Prog_Traveller - February 16 2013 at 15:09
seventhsojourn View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2013 at 15:23
Prog_Traveller View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2013 at 17:18
Thanks. YOu did that much better than me. Smile
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2013 at 22:07
Bump. Big smile
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2013 at 10:39
Another review of the album here: http://www.staff.science.uu.nl/~hage0101/reviews/hisnameisnnnnnn.html
This definitely belongs on the site somewhere - it consists of some really excellent 'experimental Symphonic Prog' interspersed with...well just about anything really! LOL

For my mind, you'd have to say it's going to be a toss up between RIO/Avant and Eclectic, but Chris or Andy will ultimately decide where to send it. One of them will be along shortly I'm sure. Thumbs Up
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2013 at 11:28
^ But Prog Traveller should write a brief bio for them if I'm not mistaken, right?
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2013 at 14:43
^ I'm sure it would be gratefully received! Approve
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2013 at 02:38
I'm pretty sure I wrote a review of this album a long time ago but no longer have access to it and the site prognet no longer exists. I could write a review but the thing is any information I find about them at this point could just as easily be found by anyone on the internet. Progarchives is the main prog site on the internet for information. The one other site I know of that would possibly have this(Gibraltar)does not even have a listing for them.

OK, I did a little more searching and this is really the only thing I could find courtesy of Kinesis cds.

Makkiwhipdies is a five-piece band whose debut His Name is nnnnn (1996, 70-minutes) begins as lunatic music performance art, with recurring musical fragments deftly interspersed with found vocals and other samples. The humor gradually gives way to some fantastic instrumental progressive rock, so that by the end of the disc, you’ve forgotten all about the silly bits. The music is often like a more complex and progressive Seventh Wave, or a keyboard-heavy Jethro Tull, with doses of Zappa, Rush, ELP, and Steve Hackett thrown in for good measure. It is keyboard-dominated with spice provided by mandolin and other atypical instruments. Well-produced, modern, and nothing else quite like it. Read the AllMusic and Sea of Tranquility reviews.

Keyboardist David Cosgrove was the main force behind Makkiwhipdies. On Space Toucan (2012, pro CD-R), he plays keyboards, electronic drums/percussion, and some guitar and bass, assisted on some tracks by a bass player, guitarist, and singers. Granted none of the singers are likely to become your favorite, but the album is predominantly instrumental and varies from layered Genesis-style keyboards to electro-rock to tracks where acoustic guitar is prominent. The vast majority of it falls under the progressive rock umbrella, but it is an original style, with a rhythmic feel defined by the programmed percussion. It’s less eccentric than the Makkiwhipdies album, but some of that has carried over, and several of the tracks are strangely addictive. Read the Sea of Tranquility, Hollywoodworx (Grady Stuart), Hollywoodworx (Jerry Lucky), and Mike Korn reviews.

Gift of Time (2008, pro CD-R) is one of the best electronic music CDs we’ve heard in recent years, much of it better labeled ‘electronic rock’ because of the drums. It is melodic, rhythmic, high-energy synth music for wide awake listening, great in the car player for nighttime driving. The CD comes in a cardboard sleeve and counts as only one-half CD for shipping.

Edited by Prog_Traveller - February 24 2013 at 02:39
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2013 at 02:43
Here's another review, this time specifically about "His name is NNNNNNN."

Album Review

Where to start? Self-released in 1996, Makkiwhipdies' first (and only) album makes absolutely no sense. Rock band, synthetic orchestra, comic act, sound collage, conceptual album about nothing, His Name is Nnnnnn will have you scratching your head over and over again. Nnnnnn and his sidekick Clone are engaged in a quest for "something," as presented in "Increasingly Pathetic," (Track Seven) but "Chapter Five" according to the narrator. There is great electric bass work, catchy synth melodies, psychedelic rock, fragments of instrumental pop songs repeated over and over, musical developments that evoke both progressive rock and Frank Zappa's "Adventures of Greggary Peccary." The album is split into two multi-part suites, "Neglecture" and "Garkopelian Delight." "His Name is Nnnnnn," Part One of the first suite, is a 20-minute self-contained suite in itself, where a sloppy bass motif and a singing rabbi battle for your attention amidst tons of disconnected themes and asides. Two or three shorter tracks, like "Always Merry and Bright," "Kazoo" (hilariously insignificant), and "Nnnnnn Hibachi Salesman, Basketball Star" (please don't ask) can be seen as more traditional, single-minded tunes. But when listened to in one sitting, distinctions between tracks become tedious, and the album as a whole turns into a glorious pile of absurdities. Yes, glorious. Because the stupidest part of all this is that His Name is Nnnnnn is infuriatingly addictive. The mouth whistles the melodies while the mind desperately tries once more to make sense of these 70 minutes of music. And it fails. And that's why Makkiwhipdies succeed. Recommended, but only to the most warped, absurdist minds out there. ~ François Couture, Rovi

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2013 at 10:21
Great album, thanks for the suggestion! It's experimental, complex, silly, and it fuses several different styles but when it's not being wacky it mostly sounds consonant / melodic (kind of). Not really dissonant enough for Avant imo so I think Eclectic is perhaps the slightly better fit. Let's be patient while the team decides. Thumbs Up   
DamoXt7942 View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Avant/Cross/Neo/Post Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2013 at 17:14
Checked videoclips above ... seconded with Chris. Not really avantgarde-progressive but they can find their place here methinks.
spacetoucan View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2013 at 15:15
Hi guys,

Thank you very much for your very kind words about my music!  I am David Cosgrove, the keyboardist, composer, engineer and producer of Makkiwhipdies.  I'm the guy who wrote it all.

You can listen to the entire Makkiwhipdies album for free via the SoundCloud embed on my website http://www.davidcosgrove-music.com/

There are also more albums I've released - 2012's "Space Toucan" and 2008's "Gift of Time" (these are available on CD too at CDBaby and Kinesis) - both of those albums are also available in their entirety via their SoundCloud embeds - and there are others that include some archival material that Makkiwhipdies recorded in the late 90's and early 2000's before the band ultimately went our separate ways.

There's a CDBaby store on my site too with all of my albums.

Thanks again.

Edited by spacetoucan - February 25 2013 at 17:06
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2013 at 15:41
Even Ian Anderson of Jethro Tull likes Makkiwhipdies ;-)

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2013 at 17:56
Hi David, and welcome to ProgArchives! Hope to see you around the forums here.

Just to let you know that evaluations of new artists can sometimes take a while, and your music is certainly very hard to pigeonhole Smile, but hopefully Makkiwhipdies will be added in due course so members can start posting reviews of the album. I'll be sure to check out your solo albums too. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2013 at 22:59
Hi David, Just wondering if you remember the review I wrote on prog net way back when. Anyway, no big deal. I'm pretty sure I corresponded with one of the band members back then(late nineties/early 2000's).

Also, Kinesis still carries at least the first album "His name is NNNNN" for around ten dollars. It's in the aural moon library also.

ANyway, good to see you on here. Take care and good luck with future projects. I look forward to checking them out.

Edited by Prog_Traveller - February 25 2013 at 23:00
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2013 at 07:11
Thank you very much!  LOL yeah, my music doesn't fit easily into any one category...

If you guys would like any of my music as MP3 files for the home page MP3 player just let me know - I'm more than happy to send you over whatever will benefit the site and the site visitors the most. 

For the PA staff I can also send you over download links to full album 320kbps MP3 files to enjoy - it's my pleasure.  If you would like the links please send me an email to [email protected] anytime Smile

Mike yes I do remember you writing a review...I wish I had a copy of it still...yes you're right on about Kinesis - I was in touch with Larry over at Kinesis for the first time in almost 15 years this past summer when I released Space Toucan and I was stunned to learn he still had several copies still in stock.  I think I sent him 100+ copies way back when...then Larry was very kind enough to stock both Space Toucan and Gift of Time for me.

I got word this morning that I've been officially added to the Two Side Moon Promotions Artist page - http://www.twosidemoon.com/artists/ - I'm working with Nicky from TSM, he's promoting me in the UK, Europe and soon the rest of the world.  He's been a wonderful guy to work with.

Thanks so much guys for everything - I'm working on a new album which is slated for summer 2014 release.

Edited by spacetoucan - February 26 2013 at 07:18
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2013 at 11:17
Hey guys hope all is well...just wanted to check in, it's been a couple of months since we last chatted on here.

Thanks!

David
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2013 at 11:51
Thanks for dropping by, David. Just checked your evaluation in Eclectic, and whilst you have been added to their chart, no votes have been recorded as yet. Eclectic team have quite a bit on their plate at the moment, it would seem...It might take them a while to get round to you. Embarrassed
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2013 at 08:42
That's great news about Eclectic! OK sweet...I'll stay tuned Cool Thanks!
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2013 at 13:37
Hey guys hope all is well - any way I can send you a copy of the Makkiwhipdies CD for review and inclusion on PA?

Thanks! Cool
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>