Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTo see Kraftwerk 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 or not?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: To see Kraftwerk 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 or not?
    Posted: February 19 2013 at 21:32
Next week, the Sydney Opera House will be taking applications for tickets to Kraftwerk's eight-album concert series to be performed this May. (I guess they're hoping to avoid the ticketing disaster MoMA suffered last year.)

I looked at some videos from the MoMA shows, and I have to ask - does something happen at these shows which the camera doesn't pick up? Is there a surge of negative ions? Does Ralf Hütter smell particularly good? Because if all that's going to happen is my sitting watching a few middle-aged men in racing suits as they work laptops in front of video projections, I might just get the Minimum-Maximum DVD and save myself $60-$70.

What do you reckon?  
thellama73 View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2013 at 21:41
I saw them about nine years ago in Toronto and they were great. However, they did pretty much stand motionless in front of their laptops the whole time.

Edited by thellama73 - February 19 2013 at 21:41
Fox On The Rocks View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2013 at 23:33
Dude, I wouldn't worry about all that, any opportunity to see a live experience like Kraftwerk, you take it. Especially with a deal like this - with the full album shows and such. From what I've seen on videos, they seem pretty stagnant, yeah, but it's the atmosphere and visual display you go for. I would never imagine they'd be at all energetic like The Who or anything. You should go, I sure wish I could.
catfood03 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2013 at 20:37
I would take your place in a heartbeat. To feel that music in a live environment, why are we debating this???
Ajay View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2013 at 16:37
Thanks, everyone. Smile
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2013 at 13:22
Originally posted by thellama73 thellama73 wrote:

I saw them about nine years ago in Toronto and they were great. However, they did pretty much stand motionless in front of their laptops the whole time.

It's the same thing that people say about Klaus Schulze, Tangerine Dream and such ... lookkkkk!!!! ... this is not a chuck berry concert! And what they are doing is not always as simple, or easy as we think, although they might by now have it simplified a lot more digitally ... but I have to tell you that watching TD do the Phaedra (DVD) Anniversary Concert, did not diminish my experience of having seen them 3 times!

This is not ... top ten ... or every day song ... from Billboard ... and this will never come around again. In many ways, although not exactly my favorite, this is a once in a lifetime thing ... and these guys are not getting younger and should be on their last opportunity.

So, go ahead ... pass it up ... save your money for another Bruce concert!

The same thing for my old roomie ... he didn't want to spend the money to see The Wall ... I called him a _______ lunatic, bought the tickets and went and got him ... when it was done, he clearly stated that it was the best thing he has ever seen and he didn't think that any rock band would ever come close in total experience.

Go ahead ... miss it ... save your money for one of those top ten overblown dolls!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2013 at 23:57
I have only seen Kraftwerk ONCE...when they toured the US after a return from a long sabbatical from touring. I saw them in Hollywood in 1998.

I would say go see them, because it's about the music and the volume! The synthbass sounded glorious! The soundmix was impeccable and grand. And at the time, they did a new updated version of "The Man-Machine" which was the highlight of the concert!
 Post Reply Post Reply