Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMinor Giant (NL): Crossover/Neo Prog

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Minor Giant (NL): Crossover/Neo Prog
    Posted: February 20 2013 at 04:48
Yeah, this is a bit early to be posting here to say the least, 'cos the album ain't due 'til the summer...but I'm damned if I'm putting it in 'Get The Word Out' forum, where it will have been read by about three people and a dog by then... Disapprove

This band was first announced on DPRP about this time last year: http://www.dprp.net/wp/?p=5164

Minor Giant is a new Dutch progressive rock project founded by keyboardplayer/composer Rindert Lammers and drummer Roy Post. The project started to take shape in 2011 with the addition of vocalist/guitarist Jordi Repkes, bassplayer Harry den Hartog and additional keyboardplayer Jos Heijmans.

Minor Giant are currently working on their debut album ‘On The Road’. The album will be a thematic mixture of adventurous, symphonic epics and some more song-orientated tracks. The main theme is about different roads people are taking in life. The songs speak of the hope and strength we need on our journey in life.

There will be some very special guests to contribute to MG's debut album ‘On The Road’.

http://www.minorgiant.com (site is not functional as yet, but is under development)

Rindert Lammers: Keys
Roy Post: Drums and Percussion
Jordi Repkes: Guitars and Vocals
Harry den Hartog: Basses
Jos Heijmans: Keys

Listen to the 11 minute demo here: https://soundcloud.com/#minor-giant
It is also available here: https://soundcloud.com/#rindertlammers along with an earlier instrumental version, and both can be freely downloaded.

Read this thread on progressiveears.org, to which the band's keyboard player Jos Heijmans contributes, suggesting an April/May release date (according to facebook all the tracks are now more or less recorded, with just a few final bits and the mixing left to do): http://www.progressiveears.org/forum/showthread.php/733-Minor-Giant-A-New-Dutch-Progressive-Rock-Band

You will find all these videos in the above thread:

But not this one...which is a 20-minute interview at dutch radioshow 'Sympho Shop' on August 26th 2012 (in Dutch), just before the Progmotion Festival (Uden (NL), De Pul) on 1st of September last year, which is where the previous two vids were recorded.

The album ends with the title track - an epic called 'The Last Road' (so I am told!)... This is going to be the dog's b...ocks, guys. Approve

Stand by team Neo!! Tongue

Edit: Topic title amended to include the possible subs where the band might be accomodated.  Thumbs Up

Edited by yam yam - June 30 2014 at 17:03
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2013 at 14:48
Announced on the band's facebook today: http://www.facebook.com/MinorGiant - Minor Giant will play at the Parktheater in Alphen a/d Rijn (NL) on the 12th of April at 8:30pm (doors open at 7:30pm)! They will play all the songs of their debut album (which will be released later this year)...and some more. ;-) Ticket price is €7,50 advance booking and €10 at the door and will include 1 drink or snack! Tickets can be booked by sending an e-mail to [email protected] Smile

roypost View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2013 at 07:51
Hello David!

Thanx for all the interest and spreading the word!! :-)  Our (temp) website is online now. Feel free to LIKE our FB page if you haven't already. :-) We'll keep you posted!

Greetz,
Roy Post | Minor Giant
I drink my milk with Tabasco!
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2013 at 08:17
Welcome to Progarchives Roy!  Hug 

Yes! - Please keep us informed...From what I have heard of it so far, this is going to be one of my most played CDs of the second half of 2013!  Addition of the band to the database on here should be a breeze once it is released. Thumbs Up
roypost View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2013 at 17:32
We can't wait to release this epic piece and bring it to you, the fans! 

I think our upcoming gig in Alphen a/d Rijn (NL) is too far from where you are, but you're most welcome! Tongue

Cheers!

Edited by roypost - March 11 2013 at 17:33
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2013 at 18:16
Minor Giant will play at the Northern Prog Festival in the Uthof in Siegerswoude, NL on Saturday October 12th, along with four other Dutch prog bands - The Aurora Project, Odyssice, Pink Faces (Pink Floyd tribute) and festival organizer Leap Day.

Tickets (€18.00 in advance) through www.leapday.nl, or on the door (€22.00). The festival begins at 15:00 and continues until midnight.  Doors open at 14.00.

Still no definite release date for the album though, guys. Hang on in there... Embarrassed
roypost View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2013 at 08:34
Yeah! The Northern Prog Fest! We're on at 17:00 (5pm) with a 75 minutes set! Hope to see you there!

Then there is another thing, the elephant in the room: when is our debut album finally going to be released?? Well, due to several circumstances we're still in the last fase of mixing and mastering the album. After that we will present the product to several labels, to find us a partner to publish the album. That being said, we really can't wait ourselves to bring this epic record to you! So please have patience with us, something great is on the way! An album teaser will soon be online! Stay tuned!

Please LIKE our Facebook page (www.facebook.com/minorgiant) and we'll keep you posted!

Greetz!
Roy

MINOR GIANT
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2013 at 05:37
New bass player announced:

Press release October 2013:

NEW BASS PLAYER: RIK VAN DOMMELEN
"We are very proud, excited and happy to announce that Rik van Dommelen is our new bass player. As is almost customary nowadays, Rik was an internet discovery. Minor Giant traced him down on YouTube. In a number of clips his exploits were to be noticed in songs by Spock's Beard, DeeExpus and Flying Colors. We thought this could just be the man the band was looking for. Rik's talent became apparent earlier this year, when he joined Marillion on stage to perform 'The Other Half' during the Marillion Weekend in Port Zelande (see below).

Rik: “I was sold immediately when I heard the demo of 'On The Road'. When I was actually asked to be the bass player of Minor Giant, my enthusiasm peaked. It is a great honour to work with such fantastic people (and extremely talented musicians). As we all share the same passion for music I expect nothing but greatness and I am looking forward to our future endeavours!”

The first venue where you can see and hear the band with their new protégé, is the Northern Prog Festival on the 12th of October. Welcome, Rik!

Thumbs Up
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2013 at 15:29
And from facebook today:

Hopefully not too long to wait now! Tongue
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2013 at 13:11
The band are now on reverbnation, where you can stream the 11-minute demo of the soon-to-be-released 'On The Road' album: http://www.reverbnation.com/minorgiant.

In other news, Minor Giant will play at CELEBRATE 2014 together with Adeia and Sylvium in Utrecht (NL) on the 11th of January 2014. The gig starts at 7:30pm till 0:30am. Ticket price: €5. Because it is not a public venue you can only book your tickets in advance.
Tickets and info (Dutch): http://www.freia-music.nl/c-2291726/celebrate-2014/

Facebook event: https://www.facebook.com/events/494326683999956/?fref=ts

Thumbs Up

Edited by yam yam - November 13 2013 at 13:12
roypost View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2014 at 09:11
Wheels are in motion...

Just a quick note to inform you about the release of our CD 'On The Road'. We have received some great feedback from various labels, and although we don't have a definitive release date yet, we're confident that it will be sooner rather than later. And to tide you over, here's (a part of) the cover.

yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2014 at 08:13
LOL! The artist has now finished colouring in the rest of the cover! LOL

...And we have a tracklist too!! Thumbs Up

Okay people, you lovely fans have been waiting long enough! Here it is: the cover art, track listing, and some background information on our debut album On The Road. The release date will be announced very shortly. A teaser trailer will be posted on-line soon.

Minor Giant - On The Road (total playing time: 53.56)
Tracks: 
1 On The Road (12.34)
2 Dream With Eyes Wide Open (10.22)
I - The Door
II - The Old Road
III - Upside Down
3 Lead Me Home (3.52)
4 Hand In Hand (6.32)
5 We Are Strangers Here (4.46)
6 The Last Road (15.46)

All music and lyrics by Rindert Lammers, except track 1: chorus melody by Christiaan Bruin
All arrangements by Minor Giant
Produced by Roy Post and Rindert Lammers
Mixed and mastered by Gerben Klazinga and Ruud Rijnbeek at Studio The Pitt, Boskoop, Netherlands

Artwork concept by Roy Post and Rindert Lammers
Artwork and graphic design by Joanne de Witte
Minor Giant logo design by Jos Heijmans

Minor Giant - 'On The Road'

1. On The Road (12:34)
2. Dream With Eyes Wide Open (10:22)
I - The Door
II - The Old Road
III - Upside Down
3. Lead Me Home (3:52)
4. Hand In Hand (6:32)
5. We Are Strangers Here (4:46)
6. The Last Road (15:46)

Total Time 53:56

All music and lyrics by Rindert Lammers, except track 1: chorus melody by Christiaan Bruin
All arrangements by Minor Giant
Produced by Roy Post and Rindert Lammers
Mixed and mastered by Gerben Klazinga and Ruud Rijnbeek at Studio The Pitt, Boskoop, Netherlands

Artwork concept by Roy Post and Rindert Lammers
Artwork and graphic design by Joanne de Witte
Minor Giant logo design by Jos Heijmans

The release date will be announced very shortly. A teaser trailer will be posted on-line soon. Smile

aapatsos View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2014 at 08:38
Have you got a sub already in mind Dave? Wink
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2014 at 11:40
Not heard much from the album yet, Thanos - but I'm expecting it to fall on either Neo or Crossover's turf. Shouldn't be too long now...It's nearly 15 months since I first posted this suggestion! LOL Embarrassed
b_olariu View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2014 at 02:45
looking forward for this one, it may be quite preomissing and the art work is great
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2014 at 09:44
OK - let's have a look at some recent live vids.  Smile

"On January 11, 2014 Layered Reality Productions and FREIA Music under the heading 'Celebrate 2014', organized an intimate evening in prog Starsound in Utrecht. There were live performances by three bands: Adeia, Minor Giant and Sylvium. It was a very good start of a musical New Year!

Minor Giant is a progressive rock band formed by keyboardist / writer Rindert Lammers and drummer Roy Post.

The music is inspired by artist and bands like Neal Morse, Spock's Beard, Transatlantic, Jem Godfrey (Frost *) and Camel.

Minor Giant is currently working on their debut album 'On The Road'. This album will be a thematic collection of adventurous, symphonic epics and more compact songs. The theme is about the different ways that people follow in this life. The lyrics are about the hope and strength that we need in our journey through life."

Sound quality on these isn't the best in the World by any stretch of the imagination, but in the absence of any other samples at the moment (other than the ones posted some time ago in the o.p.), we're gonna have to put up with it:

Hopefully we'll have something better to evaluate these guys with very soon...  Embarrassed

Edit: The fifth vid above comes from an earlier performance from April 2013, and a more thorough band bio has been included with it by the uploader:

"On April 12, 2013  Minor Giant performed in the park theater in Alphen aan den Rijn, organized by Serious Music Cafe Alphen.

Rindert Lammers started in 2010 at the age of 16 with the writing and recording some symphonic / progressive rock songs . A year later, he put the first instrumental demo on Soundcloud, the vocals for which were provided some time later by Christiaan Bruin (Sky Architect, Chris). Rindert then placed an advertisement for musicians to work with him to record a CD for these pieces. Drummer Roy Post is the first to answer, and he sets himself up as a co - owner of the project .

Where Rindert focuses mainly on composing, Roy is mainly engaged in the organization and communication. They duo are then joined by bassist Harry den Hartog (ex - PBII), guitarist / vocalist Jordi Repkes, and keyboardist Jos Heijmans. At the end of 2011 this hitherto unnamed project was named Minor Giant.

The band impress the organisers of the Motion Prog Festival, and are asked to take part at the first edition in September 2012. Their performance is seen by many as the highlight of the evening. Meanwhile Minor Giant start recording the debut album 'On The Road' at various studios, including The Pitt in Boskoop with engineers Ruud Rijnbeek and Gerben Klazinga (Knight Area).

The CD contains six pieces ranging in length from 3 to 13 minutes. 'On The Road' is about the different ways that people make their way through life. The lyrics are about the hope and strength that everyone needs in our journey through it. Closing track 'The Last Road' completes this spiritual journey, and after a visit to some new themes from the previous tracks, concludes the album with an upbeat ending with hope for the future."

Edited by yam yam - May 14 2014 at 10:38
b_olariu View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2014 at 12:41
if you see the album issued in the nearly future somewhere, let us know yam yam
roypost View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2014 at 08:19
On The Road will be released on June, 30

We are thrilled to announce that we have signed to UK-based label Festival Music (F2) for the release of our debut album On The Road. The album will hit the shops and digital stores worldwide on Monday, June 30th. Our sincere thanks go out to label president David Robinson for his enthusiasm and faith in our music.
A release party will be held on Sunday, June 29th at the Parktheater, Alphen aan den Rijn. It promises to be a great evening of fun and music for everyone. We have also a couple of special guests lined up. Details will be announced real soon.

Forthcoming gigs Minor Giant:
May, 24: De Klos, Emmeloord
June, 29: Parktheater, Alphen a/d Rijn (release party On The Road)
July, 6: 't Blok, Nieuwerkerk a/d IJssel
September, 19: De Boerderij, Zoetermeer (support for Mystery)

yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2014 at 09:50
Thanks for the update Roy!  Thumbs Up

No mention of the CD in David Robinson's latest email update (14th May), or on the site itself as yet, but it will be available to purchase at http://www.progrock.co.uk/ in due course. Smile

Will update this thread when pre-orders are being taken. 
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2014 at 08:48
This is the official album trailer for On The Road by Minor Giant which will be released on the 30th of June, 2014

Still nothing showing on the F2 retail outlet website: http://www.progrock.co.uk, but shouldn't be too long now.  Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>