Topic ClosedRIP Kevin Ayers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2013 at 15:05
wow, that's hard to read. RIp Kevin.
"Magma was the very first gothic rock band" (Didier Lockwood)
OzzProg View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2013 at 18:04

hope you're chillin'
hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2013 at 18:15
Kevin Ayers - Taverne De L'Olympia, May 1970 - Part 1

Kevin Ayers - Taverne De L'Olympia, May 1970 - Part 2

RIP Kev.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2013 at 15:10
There are times when I am not very good with words.

This is one such time.

I have an appreciation for folks that disdain the "fame" thing, and the "rock" thing, and a whole lot more that has nothing to do with one's feelings, but how one takes advantage of those feelings.

Some folks want to make money off that, and some want to be famous and some hjope to make a living off them ... but how ironic, that a person that DIDN'T ... ends up getting that honor ... and in so many ways, I can understand that and still follow it.

There are a couple more people that will drive me to tears, and the words above from the song, is just like me ... sometimes you see things and sometimes you don't ... and you want them out of your dream ... because you want another dream ... and when I made my film, that was the point and the professor even asked me about it, since the only soundtrack to the whole visual exercise were these lyrics and Jim Morrison screaming ... has this dream stopped ... during the few credits and thank yous.

I did not see the point, THEN, of doing what everyone else was already doing ... so they could compare me to them and them to me ... I already knew I am not them, and they are not me ... so I decided, just like the piece of music and work ... that it had to be what I felt ... and what I felt changes in time, place, and sometimes, by the influences around me, be they work, Coffee House and me feeling bad that I dissed Bapu, and all that ... but in the end ... what you see is sacred ... and should never be judged.

But is it possible to make your vision come alive ... many have tried and many have failed ... and they turned to drink, or a song ... in another bar, hoping that the sleepwalking patrons can hear you ... crying inside ... for something that you don't have and you want! I leave, when I hear that. Because that is just as stupid as a search for anything else out there ... and the old line that is so true (check the tag line!) is the one most often ignored ... everything you ever wanted, and could achieve is right in front of you, if you only reach out for it ... but we ignore this, for ideas ... that lead us away from ourselves and each other ... the veritable "the father and I" are no longer one ... and we're so separated that the best we can do is copy another song format, or change the lyric a bit, so we can speak ours ... and no one will give a dang about it ... so, in my book, you might as well let it go and let it all hangout ... and finger everyone with your own bits and pieces. And if someone doesn';t like it ... too bad ... because others will ... !!!

A lot of this thinking, comes off like something that is right out of the ""Hippy Manual 101" ... and it is not ... that manual was not about the person, but an idea. But there was a freedom, inside and out, that was the desired spirit that did not come alive, and I love to blame ... if you come to san francisco, come with flowers in your hair ... kind of mentality ... because that is just the kind of public message that makes everyone look stupid and just another lemming in a society that is trying hard to control you to buy this and that and this and that ... and make sure that no individuality is possible!

So, with all that said ... Kevin ... to me ... you are ... going to be missed. I know that many of us are getting older and our time is close at hand ... but I long to take off my mask ... and stick out my tongue ... to that person in charge of it all!

RIP and will meet you in the other side ... without the masks ... they probably won't be necessary any more.

Pedro

PS: I can imagine that both Daevid Allen and Robert Wyatt are shedding some serious tears, and possibly even Mike Oldfield ... who will more than likely do a Kevin Ayers song in his next album! Bet me on it!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2013 at 15:12
Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

now that is really sad! rest in peace, Kevin. Friede and I hope you will enjoy playing in St. Peter's band

Ohhh yeah ... he's gonna give it to us straight from the source ... lyrics without fake translations!

And for once, we know that they are true! And we will still laugh and shout into a bucket ... for fun, this time!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2013 at 15:22
Originally posted by ProgMetaller2112 ProgMetaller2112 wrote:

Prog has been losing people lately Disapprove   R.I.P

The part that scares me mmost, is that it will lose far more, if we can not add more value and nutrition to the world that helped create this music ... which places like this are not able/capable of doing. Wikipedia is doing a far better job of making sure the information is noted and listed, and this place has far better material but no editorial levelrage or design to help it more.

Prog, like most anything else, will keep on losing ... until there is something else to replace it ... but when the folks involved do not care for the history, the art and the place ... might as well die, since no one cares, anyway!
www.pedrosena.com
Chris S View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2013 at 17:41
Sad sad newsCry
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]
Pastor Rex Cat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2013 at 04:22
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kevin_Ayers

Got the news while checking out the Canterbury Soundwaves blog.

http://canterburysoundwaves.blogspot.ca/

http://revbookburn.blogspot.com/
http://www.youtube.com/user/rexcat
http://www.myspace.com/prxcat

Greetings! And Welcome to The Global Internet Church of Prog!
Hail the Prog and Praise "Bob"!
Stool Man View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2013 at 05:34
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Originally posted by ProgMetaller2112 ProgMetaller2112 wrote:

Prog has been losing people lately Disapprove   R.I.P

The part that scares me mmost, is that it will lose far more, if we can not add more value and nutrition to the world that helped create this music ... which places like this are not able/capable of doing. Wikipedia is doing a far better job of making sure the information is noted and listed, and this place has far better material but no editorial levelrage or design to help it more.

Prog, like most anything else, will keep on losing ... until there is something else to replace it ... but when the folks involved do not care for the history, the art and the place ... might as well die, since no one cares, anyway!

As well as losing people, prog is also finding people - time moves on, and new bands are started, and future genii are born, and time moves on
rotten hound of the burnie crew
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2013 at 16:13

I have written a lot of words on this post and suddenly deleted them...speachless is better.

Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
Pete A. View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2013 at 21:10
If you've got no shoes, you've got no shoes to lose.....Rrrrio.........
Petey
Cesar Inca View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2013 at 12:04
Now Kevin is lying perfectly still... THANK YOU FOR ALL THE MUSIC!!
ghost_of_morphy View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2013 at 19:32
And I was just listening to Shooting at the Moon yesterday... so sad.
AreYouHuman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2013 at 21:25
This is late, but I heard the news about Kevin on, of all places, National Public Radio news at the top of the hour, in the middle of the afternoon. They only mentioned it that one time, and nothing further that I know of on any of their programs like All Things Considered (where they would rather review the latest albums by Justin Timberlake or Bruno Mars). The report included a clip of Hope for Happiness from the 1st Softs album, but nothing from his own career.

Very, very rare for NPR to acknowledge any prog artists at all.

Edited by AreYouHuman - May 12 2013 at 21:26
Chris S View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2013 at 03:34
I still cannot believe this loss :-(
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]
Adams Bolero View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2013 at 10:50
Originally posted by Chris S Chris S wrote:

I still cannot believe this loss :-(
According to Robert Wyatt he was lucky to have lived as long as he did considering his alcohol and drugs based lifestyle. Kevin leaves a timeless legacy of excellent music; that’s what matters and through that he will live forever.

''Nobody realizes that some people expend tremendous energy merely to be normal.''

- Albert Camus
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2013 at 13:58
A great whimsical Canterbury lp............my personal favorite track being Girl On A Swing.

RIP
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
rocksucker View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2013 at 04:53
I tried to find chords online for "May I" and "Blaming It All on Love" but either couldn't find them or only found ones that sounded incorrect, so I sat down and worked them out - if anyone would like them, or would like me to try and figure out any others, let me know!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234