Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSteven Wilson begging in Facebook

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 91011
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2013 at 23:49
Let the blood, let the blood, let the blood flow, flow, flow
deafmoon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2013 at 08:13

I purchased the album on i-Tunes and then purchased the physical cd in Best Buy Stores. I know lots of folks that double spend on the stuff they absolutley want in their collection.

Is Steven Wilson going to thank me for buying it twice? No, I think he'll just complain about the world that he sees as shifty and ugly that will rob and cheat him.

Deafmoon
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2013 at 17:01
I'm curious how people on the site feel about friends burning cd copies for each other.
There are many obscure lp's and cd's that are hard to find and expensive.
Obviously this does not relate to Wilson since his work is readily available.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
brainstormer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2013 at 17:14
If the work or even catalog was abandoned by the band, say in the 70's or 80s,
and there were 10,000 or so copies made, it doesn't seem like the band is
profiting or has any interest or ability to profit from it.  A lot of really good black
gospel music seems to be in this category.   The only choice is to spend $50
or more if you do find a copy online somewhere.  What if that opportunity never 
comes up?  I'm sure most artists would rather have their work heard than not 
heard at all, especially if they are doing something in ministry or because they
are serious artists.  

--
Robert Pearson
Regenerative Music http://www.regenerativemusic.net
Telical Books http://www.telicalbooks.com
ParaMind Brainstorming Software http://www.paramind.net

Rottenhat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2013 at 11:26
Some albums are so hard to find, that you are almost compelled to download it illegally if you want to hear it.

Good example: Höyry-Kone "Hyönteisia voi rakastaa"

Language is a virus from outer space.

-William S. Burroughs
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2013 at 02:22
A very interesting thread - and yes, I read the lot. I once read that if there were 1 million recording artists by 2000 by 2010 there were 7 million. Very creative bunch the human race.Shame no one's got the money to do the decent thing all the time.

I have made some studies of downloads and generally found the most illicit downloads are by young males getting rap and / or metal. Usually this (from my own young days) means that means are limited and getting what young men want (fill in the gap) means economies have to be made and we want it all.

Women, the studies found (academic journal sources) generally pay for their music. Of course thieving that which does not belong has been set by those (Crusaders, imperialists, Jolly Roger pirates). My old man has been downloading movies since times immoral (c. 2000) yet was dead against "actual" theft. Long live rationalization and double standards.

But people are a summation of their conflicts rather than their resolutions.

Anyway if this poverty inducing piracy continues then it is possible that ISPs will pay a blanket surcharge to publishing houses (via APRA, ASCAP, BMI et al). So if no one pays, everyone will pay. Bring it right home to some. We'll see.

Oh and as for record companies, the master / remaster/ reissue / extra track in Japan, different tracks per different release only irk fans. Buying and re buying (I don't mean) formats, I mean content per album. Example the Stones Exile box set - the archive release with vinyl, DVD (edits of 4 onto 1) had an extra track in Japan. Bad enough for the album but a very expensive box set? To me that was parsimony at it's more deplorable.

Glad to be reminded of Band Camp btw. Am uploading there as I type. There are other sites such as CD Baby (flac files!) as are those on Band Camp. (check out XS Paradigm on Spotify  if one can squeeze in time with all the others - I know) or preview tracks on CD Baby. There, the hype is done.

Back to reality. (My first Roy Harper album that reminds me...)
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2013 at 10:05
Originally posted by Barbu Barbu wrote:

Downloaders beware :

I was thinking it would be more fun if someone creates a poem like Shakespeare's in his tomb, and then see if people will still have the balls to go download it! I have a feeling that it will be just another Bunuel film, and that the download stop only lasts 5 minutes! If that!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2013 at 10:58
Originally posted by brainstormer brainstormer wrote:

If the work or even catalog was abandoned by the band, say in the 70's or 80s,
and there were 10,000 or so copies made, it doesn't seem like the band is
profiting or has any interest or ability to profit from it.  A lot of really good black
gospel music seems to be in this category.   The only choice is to spend $50
or more if you do find a copy online somewhere.  What if that opportunity never 
comes up?  I'm sure most artists would rather have their work heard than not 
heard at all, especially if they are doing something in ministry or because they
are serious artists.  

I agree......and I have quite a few  cd's of obscure or hard to find prog bands that were burned for me (from a friend who has a huge collection) from either vinyl to disc or disc to disc. I wouldn't have even known these bands existed if it weren't for that.
Some are hard to find and expensive to obtain. I'm very gratefull for this and it has allowed me to then buy some of them in actual original form and get into music I would otherwise have missed.
I understand that artists want to be rewarded financially for their work but if you can't find it or afford it what good is that?

Edited by dr wu23 - October 22 2013 at 11:00
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
javajeff View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2013 at 18:51
I bought The Flower Kings Space Revolver album on iTunes  The iTunes version of I Am the Sun, Pt. 2 has a pop at 9:41 and a skip at 9:45.  I have contacted Inside Out repeatedly about replacing the track, and they have not replaced it after stating that they would.  I think it is a little unfair that music pirates get the best audio quality out there instantly, and the people that purchase music get kicked around by large companies.

I verified that these blemishes are not part of the master by listening to the track on YouTube.  Furthermore, they sound like encoding glitches.

Edited by javajeff - October 22 2013 at 18:54
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2013 at 22:28
^ That is very weird. Ermm Stern Smile Geek
proggman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2013 at 14:09
Originally posted by javajeff javajeff wrote:

I bought The Flower Kings Space Revolver album on iTunes  The iTunes version of I Am the Sun, Pt. 2 has a pop at 9:41 and a skip at 9:45.  I have contacted Inside Out repeatedly about replacing the track, and they have not replaced it after stating that they would.  I think it is a little unfair that music pirates get the best audio quality out there instantly, and the people that purchase music get kicked around by large companies.

I verified that these blemishes are not part of the master by listening to the track on YouTube.  Furthermore, they sound like encoding glitches.

That's probably a problem on iTunes end and one of the reasons why I don't buy iTunes.
When he rides, my fears subside.
For darkness turns once more to light.
Through the skies, his white horse flies.
To find a land beyond the night.
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2013 at 14:13
^ That's a very odd reason not to buy stuff on iTunes. When I read that post, it was the first time I've heard of this. But this thread isn't even about that.

Edited by Dayvenkirq - October 30 2013 at 14:13
proggman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2013 at 16:19
Well the real reason is that I simply prefer CD's and yes I know that this thread isn't about that. It's about Steven Wilson and he dislikes iPods.
When he rides, my fears subside.
For darkness turns once more to light.
Through the skies, his white horse flies.
To find a land beyond the night.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 91011