Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSteven Wilson begging in Facebook

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 11>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Steven Wilson begging in Facebook
    Posted: February 24 2013 at 05:46
As you may be aware an early review copy of The Raven That Refused To Sing (and other stories) was leaked on to the internet several weeks ago, and rapidly spread, with tens of thousands of downloads taking place. This was very frustrating for all those involved in making the record, and anyone that took advantage of the opportunity to download is respectfully encouraged to purchase the record in acknowledgement of the tremendous effort, expense and planning that went into creating the album.

Unfortunately leaks of this kind are almost inevitable these days, but we sincerely hope that fans will want to have the full experience of owning a genuine copy. Steven is meticulous and pays huge attention to every detail of each version of the record, where the music, the sonics, and the artwork all come together to create the total experience that cannot be fully appreciated with an unofficial download. We hope you also believe that musicians should be paid for their work just as in any other profession. Above all, however you choose to hear the album we hope you enjoy it!

https://www.burningshed.com/store/stevenwilson/

Downloading the album for free means no lunch for Steven…

Opinions?
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2013 at 06:03
I don't know if I speak for a lot of prog fans (I'd like to think I do here), but I absolutely want a physical copy of this album - be it the CD version, the LP version, a DVD Audio version, etc. Actually - make that ANY album period.

I've been buying LP's and CD's my whole life, and I'm not interested in hoarding a bunch of data on a computer.

Besides, I think especially progressive rock fans appreciate elaborate artwork, intricate cover artwork, packaging, CD booklets, LP gatefold sleeves, etc. I love scanning over the lyrics, inner sleeves, etc, maybe even displaying a special album on a wall.

Hope plenty of others feel the same way!
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2013 at 06:26
I strongly echo the byrd's sentiments.
Give me vinyl and I'm a happy bunny.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Argonaught View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2013 at 06:32
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

I don't know if I speak for a lot of prog fans (I'd like to think I do here), but I absolutely want a physical copy of this album - be it the CD version, the LP version, a DVD Audio version, etc. Actually - make that ANY album period.

I've been buying LP's and CD's my whole life, and I'm not interested in hoarding a bunch of data on a computer.

Besides, I think especially progressive rock fans appreciate elaborate artwork, intricate cover artwork, packaging, CD booklets, LP gatefold sleeves, etc. I love scanning over the lyrics, inner sleeves, etc, maybe even displaying a special album on a wall.

Hope plenty of others feel the same way!

120% agreed. 

In addition to what you have so aptly stated: If Steven Wilson's audience has any appreciation for his wizardly skills in sound engineering, they would know the difference between a 128 kbps and let's say a properly recorded CD, or, even better, a properly mastered, cut and pressed LP, played through a single-ended tube ("valve") amp. 

rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2013 at 07:10
Maybe this controversy has served some positive purpose, as I did not know his album was already released.   I can go get mine now.   On another note, maybe this needs to be in the "Help us improve the site" section?   Look at all the ratings already and we are only on the 27th Feb.   Not good, not good.   Angry
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2013 at 07:19
Roger makes a good point....I kind of just assumed the album was out because of the numerous reviews, and was planning on heading to my local store to snap up a copy when I finish nightshift on Wednesday morning.

Now I'm to understand it's not even actaully out yet? What is the actual release date?

On a side-note, it really ticks me off people who write negative reviews over simply hearing a pirated version they didn't pay a damn cent for....
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2013 at 07:21
The release date is 25th Feb, but maybe it's not available in all territories yet.   I have to depend on ecommerz anyway, not the slightest chance of finding a Wilson album in a store.  Big smile

Edited by rogerthat - February 24 2013 at 07:22
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2013 at 07:25
Yep the 25th.
Maybe Steven was a little too generous with the promos eh?
It's insane how many people have rated this. Do they really think it benefits Wilson, if they overtly display a fondness for an album of his that they stole?
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2013 at 07:48
Dave, I know what you mean....So plenty of these so-called Wilson faithful are apparently a pack of downloading freeloaders lol!

Roger! These days, I can't believe I can walk into a local chain of music stores in Melbourne called JB Hifi, and not only find a full stock of Porcupine Tree reissues, but plenty of Wilson related solo/side-project stuff. His new stuff is usually in store on the day of release...

I remember so many years ago, in their initial Delerium Records days, asking my Dad on his trip on London to go into all these obscure little music shops to get ANYTHING Porcupine Tree related!
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2013 at 07:48
As Wilson/Burning Shed says, leaks are inevitable. We can fight their use in pre-release ratings and reviews here but it is an endeavour comparable to the trial of Sisyphus, hindered by the early review copies that are legitimately owned by people who post reviews on sites such as ours. If early review copies are used on reviews then we should insist the reviewer states that in their review and make it site policy that all rating-only prior to release date are simply disabled. Policing that for every new release is a time-consuming job. Of course once the official release date has passed we can no longer police the reviews and ratings for illegal downloading - we simply have no way of telling how anyone obtained the copy they are reviewing or rating. That in itself could be a solid argument for not policing them prior to the official release date. I'm not saying we should condone pre-release reviews and ratings and encourage reviews and ratings of illegally downloaded albums in general, but I am saying there is not a great deal we can do about them.

If early review copies are to be sent out then each copy needs to be encoded with a unique signature to enable record labels to trace the source of leaks. Of course removing that signature is not beyond the wit of man or the capabilities of software, but multiple signatures (and even subtle alteration of the music itself) would aid tractability and enable some very high-profile name them and shame them actions to be taken against the perpetrators.

Sadly the attitude of down-loaders to leaked albums is the very attitude we "proggers" have to downloaded albums in general (as expressed in the posts in this thread), just viewed from the opposite direction - they are not physical objects. I don't beleive it is possible to correct this wrong-thinking of those who download illegal copies of albums (or software in general), they know it is theft whether they are willing to admit it or not, they just don't care even if they do not believe it is a victimless crime. Some may even be stupid enough to argue this in public.

What?
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2013 at 07:58
^^^^ That's the worst part, there's a rot within.  Somebody deemed trustworthy enough for a promo copy leaked it to the pirates.   And this has been going on for the last few years.  Even Metallica didn't shrug when Death Magnetic leaked.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2013 at 08:03
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

^^^^ That's the worst part, there's a rot within.  Somebody deemed trustworthy enough for a promo copy leaked it to the pirates.   And this has been going on for the last few years.  Even Metallica didn't shrug when Death Magnetic leaked.
It is a double-edged sword for the artist and record labels because all publicity is good publicity, it's just costing a lot more than they budgeted for. Wilson's current plea is a good response - shame people who have downloaded the illegal copy into buying the official version.
What?
elbownut View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2013 at 08:04
Makes me glad I pre-ordered the deluxe edition before Christmas ( as a little present to myself )
and which arrived late last week.

Worth every single, hard earned penny IMO !!!

Hopefully helps pay towards to his hors d'oeuvres !
"Music was my first love and it will be my last" - John Miles "Music"
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2013 at 08:24
I totally support the idea of being honest and pay for the music you get. If the artist decides to give it free, like Mike Grande and others, that's a different story, but let's be honest, is not that prog artists make a lot of money selling their music, and if on top we find a way to get it and not pay for it, we are harming the people who put the effort to compose, play and record the music we love, so let's give them some respect and buy the music.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2013 at 09:13
For whatever it is worth, I have not heard the leaked version, and pree-ordered the CD from Amazon a couple of weeks ago.  I don't really know if he actually sees any coin from my purchase from Amazon or not, but I like to think that he does.
coasterzombie View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2013 at 09:55
I'm not a huge fan of his work (PT is okay), but listening to a leak beforehand can definitely affect your long-term enjoyment of an album...I agree with Steven's standpoint and think more artists should stand up against this annoying trend.
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2013 at 10:08
They should probably consider only releasing one or two tracks to reviewers or limited samples. Tough to put the genie back in the bottle. From my perspective I'll buy it on CD as I like owning the physical copy. Mine's due to arrive in a week or so and the only stuff I've heard are the videos Mr Wilson has released.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Sumdeus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2013 at 13:39
I really really doubt Wilson is gonna have any financial difficulties if some people don't buy his record. Because if that was the case then every single musician out there right now would be broke and starving because people download everything. It seems I have the outlier opinion here... I'd speak my piece but I don't want to seem "stupid enough to argue this in public.". there is obvious animosity here.
Sumdeus - surreal space/psych/prog journeys
Bonnek View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2013 at 13:54

I just got us a ticket for the local show in two weeks and will probably get my copy of the album at the venue.
There's not a hair on my head that would consider not owning at least one copy of everything Wilson released.

That being said, and understanding his plea that people should get the physical thing and give it full attention while listening, I still don't understand why in these times you want to sit on an album for 2-3 months before releasing it.
You know half of the target audience will be fishing for it.

Bonnek View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2013 at 13:58
Originally posted by Sumdeus Sumdeus wrote:

I really really doubt Wilson is gonna have any financial difficulties if some people don't buy his record. Because if that was the case then every single musician out there right now would be broke and starving because people download everything. It seems I have the outlier opinion here... I'd speak my piece but I don't want to seem "stupid enough to argue this in public.". there is obvious animosity here.

You probably won't have financial difficulties neither if your manager at work tomorrow decides not to pay you anymore for a random number of worked hours. It's not like you'll starve or go broke right. Just eat your soles if you're hungry.

Do you even realize what you are saying?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 11>