Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSteven Wilson begging in Facebook

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 11>
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2013 at 08:48
Popular doesn't always equal rich. From interviews he gave for the release of this album, he's losing money on the tours. He finances it with his other projects.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2013 at 08:54
Besides, he's just very popular in prog circles, which is a smaller community to begin with.   He's not nearly as popular or commercially successful as Norah Jones, Adele, Bruno Mars, Muse, etc etc.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2013 at 08:57
This thread took a familiar turn that we all knew had to happen, but this new one about the definition of wealth among prog musicians, I did not see coming.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Argonaught View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2013 at 08:58
What's the net worth of the gentleman from the "Gangnam Oppan something-style"?  

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2013 at 09:00
Gangbang styleConfused
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2013 at 09:00
Psy, and he is  expected to have earned over $8 million in 2012 alone.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2013 at 09:02
Little did Wilson know what he was thinking when he politely asked people to try to buy the album, eh?

Edited by rogerthat - February 28 2013 at 09:03
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2013 at 09:10
^I knowErmm

Gotta say, I simply love the feeling of sitting with something tangible like a vinyl record - looking at the beautiful cover art(I am sitting right now and admiring Amon Düül ll's Tanz der Lemminge), or reading lyrics, musical philosophies(Santana had a few of those with Lotus and Moonflower, back when he had himself a GuruLOL) or just want to pay one's respect to the musicians who made it possible for you to reach cloud 9 - if you want that, then you gotta go buy sonic circular objects. 

For some reason I can't spell or explain myself properly in English at the moment. Too much Danish flavour....

Edited by Guldbamsen - February 28 2013 at 09:31

- Douglas Adams
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2013 at 10:00
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

Little did Wilson know what he was thinking when he politely asked people to try to buy the album, eh?
What's wrong with that? Has it not been for the post, this thread wouldn't be; has it not been for this thread, some people would probably not have "a second shot of re-awakening".

Edited by Dayvenkirq - February 28 2013 at 10:01
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2013 at 10:23
Seems like the sarcasm was lost on you.   I am saying Wilson wouldn't have bargained for remarks on "how f***ing rich he is" for merely asking people to try to buy the album, something he is perfectly entitled to, even if he really was f***ing rich.  
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2013 at 12:57
This is only my opinion, anti-piracy campaigns are necessary, this kind awareness helps people to relate with the artist. However, I do think that people who download music from pirate sites for free will never buy music anyway, the only thing one can hope from this unfortunate fact is that they will help "spread the word" how great an album or song is to others. In general people who appreciate the highest sound quality and the effort an artist puts in his work will continue to purchase only original albums.       
NotAProghead View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2013 at 14:37
Originally posted by Kati Kati wrote:

I do think that people who download music from pirate sites for free will never buy music anyway, the only thing one can hope from this unfortunate fact is that they will help "spread the word" how great an album or song is to others.  
Excellent point! Clap

I see this here and there. More and more people now have no idea how it's possible to pay for music (and why they should pay) if they can get it for free.
Though still there is another, smaller category of people who download music illegally and after that buy legal copies of the albums they like.
Who are you and who am I to say we know the reason why... (D. Gilmour)
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2013 at 15:01
Originally posted by NotAProghead NotAProghead wrote:

Originally posted by Kati Kati wrote:

I do think that people who download music from pirate sites for free will never buy music anyway, the only thing one can hope from this unfortunate fact is that they will help "spread the word" how great an album or song is to others.  
Excellent point! Clap

I see this here and there. More and more people now have no idea how it's possible to pay for music (and why they should pay) if they can get it for free.
Though still there is another, smaller category of people who download music illegally and after that buy legal copies of the albums they like.

Thank you very much, NotAProgheadSmile
What is considered as Piracy is a fine line, some might want to help the artist meanwhile having the opposite effect, I feel that each case or group should be judged individually. As an example fans who bought the original album and they loved it might feel an urge or need to spread their emotions and wanting to share a link via youtube hoping others will feel the same about the artist (with best intentions) they will google search a song and most times will pick the one which has the most viewers or likes to share, most of those are not official links to the artists yet they did share it with the utmost best intentions, trying to make others realize how wonderful the artist is and sounds, one could think of it as free publicity. There's no doubt that the internet can make (or bankrupt) an artist.
NotAProghead View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2013 at 15:20
^ Again agree with you, Kati.
I'm sure most people illegally uploading music "feel an urge or need to spread their emotions". I can hardly imagine how someone can share music that he/she hates. Smile

As a result artists are robbed and promoted at the same time.

Who are you and who am I to say we know the reason why... (D. Gilmour)
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2013 at 15:38

I'm sure most people illegally uploading music "feel an urge or need to spread their emotions". I can hardly imagine how someone can share music that he/she hates. Smile

, once a band is

Smile I am so happy you understand my point of view too, NotAProghead. Piracy exists, too many available horrid turrent sites, the positive side for new bands is knowing that they did make a mark in the industry enough to make  some kind of  a mark to be worthwhile (bad obviously in terms of no revenue but in terms of input as taken seriously mostly yes).
To new bands I doubt in terms of mathematical percentage, it has no effect. Artist promoted by big corporations on the other-hand do suffer more from it because they pay a lot for advertising, promo's etc.plus they have sponsor who sign exclusive deals with them, little known bands do not have that pressure although they need to atleast recover the money they spent on their album I believe they can benefit much more with free publicity especially via social network.  

Edited by Kati - March 01 2013 at 15:40
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2013 at 15:47
You just had to know that Captain Hook was a Prog Fan.

Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2013 at 15:51
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

You just had to know that Captain Hook was a Prog Fan.

hahahahaha!! Rushfan4, I read your comment and now saw the pic haahahaha he is an odd one out hahaha to funny your words emphasizing looking at this cartoon looolllllll LOLHug
Metalmarsh89 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2013 at 18:03
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Originally posted by Sumdeus Sumdeus wrote:

aah, some more honest and sincere observations, lovely!
Here's another: Your less than convincing display of umbrage is like the stroppy pout of a four year-old kid with their hand stuck in a cookie jar.  
I said your justifications for illegal downloading were pathetic and extremely silly excuses because that is what they are - I'll not line them up and shoot them down one by one because others' have already done that, suffice to say that their stance is the same as mine so feel free to accuse me of being on a high horse like you did with Karl, but while you're down there looking up at us, fetch a bucket and shovel because you're knee-deep in horse manure.

However, your "Library" example did make me genuinely laugh out loud - that is the daftest analogy I've seen on this subject for a while now, unless of course your bookshelves are groaning from the weight of 10,000 stolen library books that you failed to return to the library under the legal lending-contract you signed them out under - I would expect the late return fines for those would buy a lot of CDs.
When mommy catches junior with his hand stuck in the cookie jar she takes it away from him and puts it on a high shelf out of his reach. When junior wants a cookie he now has to ask mommy very nicely, and instead of junior filling his pockets with cookies she hands him just one (and only if he's been a very good boy).

Roger asked why the record companies haven't used technology to put the cookie jar out of reach, and they are. It's called Cloud Storage and they are busily working away on selling us this new cookie jar as the thing we really want more than anything in the whole world ever. This cannot happen overnight, they have to socially engineer it so we adopt this new cookie jar willingly and completely. It started with ebooks, and now it's happening with software (apps and OSs) - not only do we not have physical copies of our software, we don't own or control the installation and updating of that software - it is streamed direct to our hardware and can be removed just as easily - and there is nothing we can do about it because we bought into the idea. And music will go the same way - we will store our music in the new cookie jar and merrily use it every day and before you know it they won't be selling CDs anymore, the pressing plants that make them by the million will all close down. Everything will be "download" that you don't actually download anymore - it just gets shuffled from virtual store to virtual personal cookie jar in the Cloud - this file that you once downloaded will never touch your PC. So when you want to listen to the music you have paid for 'mommy' will stream it from cloud cookie jar onto our PCs and music players (and only if you've been very good).

Sounds like science fiction? Not any more it doesn't.

I was having the most amazing day in the world until I read this. Cry
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2013 at 07:22

P2P and filesharing makes money for the people who provide the service and/or the software, (through advertising, donations and contributions), and they encourage people to upload files for sharing by providing incentives, even if that incentive is simply better download speeds for those who provide more uploads (for example the ratio of seeds to leaches in torrents). By this method uploaders can and will share music they don't like so they can download music they do like. None of these methods are illegal as a service - I was using Megaupload to legally share my own copyrighted music, the BBC used a legal bittorrent system to distribute their legally owned content in the early days of iPlayer, but they do encourage illegal uploading by virtue of providing the service.

The argument that people who illegally download music will never buy music anyway is a perfectly valid statement but it is often used fallaciously. An artist cannot tally-up the number of downloads and count them as an exact number of lost sales, but they can use them as an indication of some degree of lost sales - if the downloads did not exist then they would sell more CDs - the people who download 1000s of albums illegally would buy some CDs if the illegal route was not available.
What?
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2013 at 10:36
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

The argument that people who illegally download music will never buy music anyway is a perfectly valid statement but it is often used fallaciously. An artist cannot tally-up the number of downloads and count them as an exact number of lost sales, but they can use them as an indication of some degree of lost sales - if the downloads did not exist then they would sell more CDs - the people who download 1000s of albums illegally would buy some CDs if the illegal route was not available.
I've read your whole post, though the italicized part didn't make sense to me ... at least not yet.

As per the text in bold: You don't believe that there are some people who are exceptions to that?

Edited by Dayvenkirq - March 02 2013 at 10:37
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 11>