Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Doffs Poi (nor/swe)- post rock, avant, jazz fusion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDoffs Poi (nor/swe)- post rock, avant, jazz fusion

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Doffs Poi (nor/swe)- post rock, avant, jazz fusion
    Posted: March 01 2013 at 08:42
A Norwegian experimental band, based in Denmark, formed as far as i know at the conservatory in Copenhagen, plays a jazzy and experimental rock, inspired by Radiohead, and Potishea, would also say Talk Talk and also the more jazzy post rock bands, and math rock bands, very storng vocals, passionate, and strong, experimental vocals, and very amazing accrobatics.

http://open.spotify.com/track/66Jl281IPxSCnLZcC91sSJ

http://www.myspace.com/doffspoi

http://www.doffspoi.com/

http://https://soundcloud.com/doffs-poi/tangoluren

Edited by aginor - March 01 2013 at 11:09
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2013 at 12:17
Their self-titled mini album from April of last year is up on bandcamp: http://dayladorecollective.bandcamp.com/album/doffs-poi 
"A near psychedelic and energetic explosion of sounds turn into songs that could be compared to a five year old in a playland on a rush of too much sugar. This describes a band who to an extended degree let the music guide them. Through rough tones, peculiar lyrics and melodies, and extremely surprising moves on the drums, they create a universe of their own. Their music has been described as happy-jazz-core, a strange blend of three personalities who love to create music in unison. Doffs Poi have been compared to bands like Deerhoof, Wildbirds & Peacedrums, Animal Alpha and Kobert."

"...they handle their instruments as naturally as they use their toothbrush..."  LOL

I really don't know what to make of this...Mia Marlen Berg sounds like how you might expect the secret love child of Thijs van Leer and Bjork to sound. Experimental without a doubt...but where exactly you'd file them on PA, I ain't got a clue. Confused
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2013 at 19:12
Mia is a friend of mine Yam Yam
infocat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2013 at 20:33
From the first 30 seconds I say math rock for sure.
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2013 at 10:57
Originally posted by aginor aginor wrote:

This wasn't meant as a criticism, Agi...Anyone who can combine the wonderful vocal qualities of Thijs van Leer and Bjork into their singing has to be someone rather special!! Approve ...Just not all that easy to place regarding a sub genre, but Frank probably isn't far off the mark with his Math Rock suggestion for this band. Smile
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2013 at 12:43
Originally posted by yam yam yam yam wrote:

This wasn't meant as a criticism, Agi...Anyone who can combine the wonderful vocal qualities of Thijs van Leer and Bjork into their singing has to be someone rather special!! Approve ...Just not all that easy to place regarding a sub genre, but Frank probably isn't far off the mark with his Math Rock suggestion for this band. Smile
i did not read it as a criticisme,
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2013 at 13:30

Originally posted by yam yam yam yam wrote:

i did not read it as a criticisme,

Cool Thumbs Up
seventhsojourn View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2013 at 05:44
Okay just to reinforce what Frank has said (thanks Thumbs Up), I've seen them described as Math-jazz so let's see what the Math Team makes of them.

By the way, David, they've also been compared to Deerhoof (in Crossover)... had a quick listen to them and I can understand the comparison. If Doffs Poi don't make the cut in Math do you think they'd have a chance in Crossover?

Edited by seventhsojourn - March 06 2013 at 05:48
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2013 at 05:54
^ They'd definitely stand a chance Chris...It's prog for sure, so they almost certainly belong here somewhere, and if the math boys don't want them, it would probably be a case of Crossover or 'bust'! Tongue
seventhsojourn View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2013 at 05:58
Tongue... yep probably, although perhaps an outside chance in JR/F?
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2013 at 06:01
Originally posted by seventhsojourn seventhsojourn wrote:

Tongue... yep probably, although perhaps an outside chance in JR/F?
Yeah - would probably worth a try there before sending them down to the 'last chance saloon'! LOL
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2014 at 04:04
any upp ^dates
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2014 at 08:39
Well, Christoffer - they aren't in the new combined Post/Math chart on progfreak, and Crossover certainly haven't evaluated them, so it doesn't look as though this was ever taken any further. Math Rock suggestions were all handled within the team thread in the collab zone back at the time this band was suggested, but you'd find more activity in the average graveyard than there was most of the time in that thread! LOL Don't know if JR/F ever had a look at them, and I can't access that part of the forum to check for you these days, so we need the assistance of someone with four or five stars just to confirm this one way or the other. My gut feeling is that this one has hit a dead end though, and needs adding to the Post/Math chart...to take its place alongside the other 42 'new' suggestions they currently have to deal with. Ermm  I'd go and borrow a copy of 'In Search Of Lost Time' by Marcel Proust from your local library...and grab yourself a coffee...You may be in for a bit of a wait! Embarrassed
 Post Reply Post Reply