Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Long metal song?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Collaborator
Collaborator
Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infocat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2013 at 21:00
Originally posted by Mirkwood Mirkwood wrote:

Actually that Sleep song is not that good, maybe "Jerusalem" by them is better.

But much better (and longer) than Sleep is "El Mundo Frio" by Corrupted. Warning: the singing is NOT in Spanish, and the song gets MUCH louder at 10:41.
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.
Metalmarsh89 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Metalmarsh89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2013 at 12:39
Originally posted by RedNightmareKing RedNightmareKing wrote:

Originally posted by Metalmarsh89 Metalmarsh89 wrote:

I know of one non-prog metal epic. Manowar did a 28 minute song, though the title escapes me at this moment.

All of the prog metal songs I know have already been mentioned.

Achilles: Agony and Ecstasy in 8 Parts is the Manowar song. Pure power metal, good pick.

As for me, Devil Doll has put out some pretty long songs, like...

The Sacrilege of Fatal Arms (79 minutes)
Dies Irae (49 minutes)

It's neo-classical avant-progressive metal. Awesome, I know.

I've never actually heard it, just something I learned while browsing wikipedia one day. Smile
infocat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infocat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2013 at 21:45
Originally posted by infocat infocat wrote:

Originally posted by Mirkwood Mirkwood wrote:

Actually that Sleep song is not that good, maybe "Jerusalem" by them is better.

But much better (and longer) than Sleep is "El Mundo Frio" by Corrupted. Warning: the singing is NOT in Spanish, and the song gets MUCH louder at 10:41.
Argh, what happened there...
Anyway, I was saying that "Jerusalem" and "Dopesmoker" are basically the same "song", with the former being edited to be a bit (!!) shorter.

Or so I've read.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerusalem_and_Dopesmoker
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.
Cristi View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2017 at 18:28
In the Woods - 299.796 Km/s from Omnio is brilliant and is close to 15 minutes long.

Sunset In The 12th House - Seven Insignia (close to 15 minutes as well)

Fates Warning - Still remains (16 minutes) and And Yet It Moves (14 minutes)

OSI - shutDown (10 minutes if I remember right, their only collaboration with Steven Wilson). 

Not exactly progressive metal but Insomnium's last album is just one long song, it's called Winter's Gate. Great stuff!

Edited by Cristi - September 12 2017 at 19:10
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2017 at 19:05
FantŰmas' Delžrium CÚrdia (listed here under Avant Prog but it counts for me) is one long track that lasts 74 minutes and 17 seconds.

The black metal band Fauna's "The Hunt" is 79:57.
"The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit the views" (Doctor Who - The Face of Evil, Jan 22, 1977).
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2017 at 21:22
OK, to start with the classics, though not quiet metal yet, there's "In-a-gadda-da-vida", by Iron Butterfly, and "2112" by Rush. I have not seen Haken nor Ayreon mentioned. Haken has "Celestial Elixir", "Visions", and "The Architect". Ayreon has the album "The Theory of Everything", with a doulbe album with 4 epics (just as Tales from Yes). Oh yeah, and there's Iron Maiden's "Empire of the Clouds", from their last album, which I really loved.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic