Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhich cover for Schulze's Picture Music?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Poll Question: Which one do you prefer?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
6 [23.08%]
20 [76.92%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2013 at 21:53
Okay i have the re-issue of "Picture Music" and Klaus states in the liner notes that it was recorded in 1973 making him the first. There's also a picture of the flower shown by David for this poll but also the picture frame with a picture of a young girl in it. The one corner of the framed picture is stuck in dirt in the middle of massive mud-like field. I like this one.
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
zravkapt View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2013 at 22:42
^Yes, that picture of a girl one was the one I was thinking of. The official KS site says it was recorded in autumn 1974 and released in January 1975.

http://www.klaus-schulze.com/disco/1751pi.htm
Magma America Great Make Again
memowakeman View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2013 at 23:16
I prefer the chessboard

Follow me on twitter @memowakeman
Neu!mann View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2013 at 15:22
I voted for the chessboard image, because I love the Urs Amann artwork and will always associate him with early Klaus Schulze. But the flower was in fact the original cover art, so I can't complain about it being used here. Apparently Schulze himself had second thoughts about it: why else commission a second cover?

So I guess the chessboard is now the 'official' artwork...at least according to KS.

The 'portrait in the dirt' cover for the same album was for a Brain label budget reissue, part of a cheapie series that included albums by Neu, Cluster, Birth Control and others, all with different artwork from the originals...
"we can change the world without anyone noticing the difference" - Franco Falsini
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2013 at 15:49
Nice piece of info there Michael, thanks man.
I knew about Urs Amann, yet somehow I completely forgot to include it here... wild weekend, that's all I have to say about that.
I didn't know Schulze had second thoughts. News to me.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2013 at 16:06
Originally posted by Neu!mann Neu!mann wrote:

I voted for the chessboard image, because I love the Urs Amann artwork and will always associate him with early Klaus Schulze. But the flower was in fact the original cover art, so I can't complain about it being used here. Apparently Schulze himself had second thoughts about it: why else commission a second cover?

So I guess the chessboard is now the 'official' artwork...at least according to KS.

The 'portrait in the dirt' cover for the same album was for a Brain label budget reissue, part of a cheapie series that included albums by Neu, Cluster, Birth Control and others, all with different artwork from the originals...
Yes thanks for this. I wondered where that cover with the picture in the dirt fit in.
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2013 at 20:48
In light of this recent knowledge, plus the fact that the chessboard cover is leading with 10, then I think it's fair to change art works. Or am I being too hasty?
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2013 at 21:07
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

In light of this recent knowledge, plus the fact that the chessboard cover is leading with 10, then I think it's fair to change art works. Or am I being too hasty?
Dude, you're being too hasty LOL 
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2013 at 21:10
I knew it. Sorry man.
I say let's at least wait another 15 minutes or so.

- Douglas Adams
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2013 at 21:14

I knew it. Sorry man.
I say let's at least wait another 15 minutes or so.
How about 20 ???
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2013 at 21:17
I'm just pulling your leg Tom. I can wait till Christmas if it means that we all can talk about Klaus Schulze and bib bib music for adults.

- Douglas Adams
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2013 at 21:31

I'm just pulling your leg Tom. I can wait till Christmas if it means that we all can talk about Klaus Schulze and bib bib music for adults.
Nah - no need.  By all means, change the pic - I can see how the Urs Amann 'continuity' factor applies, I'm just used to the weirdo 'flower' cover coz that's what I own and that's the only version I've seen at LP fairs.  My Cyborg cover has a similar strange figure on the cover and some tripped-out landscape in the gatefold.  I also think Adelbert Von Deyen had similar artwork on his albums.......but Picture Music is my ultimate fave from KS.  My Klaus records start with Cyborg (no Irrlicht yet...) all the way up to Audentity.  I also have Kontinuum on CD.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2013 at 21:36
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Nah - no need.  By all means, change the pic - I can see how the Urs Amann 'continuity' factor applies, I'm just used to the weirdo 'flower' cover coz that's what I own and that's the only version I've seen at LP fairs.  My Cyborg cover has a similar strange figure on the cover and some tripped-out landscape in the gatefold.  I also think Adelbert Von Deyen had similar artwork on his albums.......but Picture Music is my ultimate fave from KS.  My Klaus records start with Cyborg (no Irrlicht yet...) all the way up to Audentity.  I also have Kontinuum on CD.

I have most of his output, except for some 80s and 90s stuff that I haven't yet had the balls to pay unspeakable prices for.
I have a hard time choosing an absolute fave from him, but lately it has been Picture Music methinks. A year ago it was Blackdance, the year before that Bodylove

Edited by Guldbamsen - March 03 2013 at 21:41

- Douglas Adams
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2013 at 21:52

I have most of his output, except for some 80s and 90s stuff that I haven't yet had the balls to pay unspeakable prices for.
I have a hard time choosing an absolute fave from him, but lately it has been Picture Music methinks. A year ago it was Blackdance, the year before that Bodylove
Body Love II I hope - that 'Nowhere Now Here' is a KILLER piece.  Blackdance is top-notch too - when I first heard that one I thought I was flashing back coz the organ was always sliding in pitch LOL - it dodged me right out - but it grew on me like moss on a granite boulder and I've never looked back.............
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2013 at 14:11

Body Love II I hope - that 'Nowhere Now Here' is a KILLER piece.  Blackdance is top-notch too - when I first heard that one I thought I was flashing back coz the organ was always sliding in pitch LOL - it dodged me right out - but it grew on me like moss on a granite boulder and I've never looked back.............

Bodylove 1 actually. Love at first listen, and it still holds a very special place in my heart. There's a serene vibe to it, that is somewhat endemic to that first soundtrack methinks. Also I think I prefer Michael Shrieve over Harald Grosskopf on the drumsBig smile

- Douglas Adams
Neu!mann View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2013 at 19:00
By the way, David, there's a precedent for not using the original cover...the image for Cyborg on the KS pages here (mentioned by Tom a few posts up) is not the one that appeared on the earliest Kosmische Musik Label release, which showed this unflattering portrait instead:

The familiar Urs Amann artwork for Cyborg appeared on the Brain Records reissue, which came out later the same year (although the current CD version reverted back to the trippy photo above, sadly...) So the 'flower' cover of Picture Music does sort of break the uniformity, doesn't it..?
"we can change the world without anyone noticing the difference" - Franco Falsini
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2013 at 13:21
^LOL
yeah I've seen that one too. How that ever got into print is beyond me...

So how does people feel about me taking this to the errors/cover thingy thread, or should I wait a while and see if more folks want to vote?

Edited by Guldbamsen - March 06 2013 at 13:21

- Douglas Adams
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2013 at 14:26
^ Whatever your good judgment tells you.

Also, what's wrong with that version of a cover for Cyborg?

Edited by Dayvenkirq - March 06 2013 at 14:30
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12