Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2013 at 21:09
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

^^^  Ah, but he does make full use of the snare even here at around 4:20.  Pedro can be pretty opinionated but I wouldn't discount his powers of observation.  And something Mason achieves on the Live at Pompeii version that I didn't hear here is....he actually creates a sense of melody on drums from around 3:40 that blends very well with the 'actual' melody being played at that point.  I am not going to say it is impossible for some other drummer to produce that effect but it is certainly something I've heard rarely, if at all, from any drummer.   I had never noticed this before but I was piqued by Pedro's comments on Set Controls and wanted to find out for myself.  I also notice that Mason plays very lightly, though quickly, from 3:40 through around 4:20 and doesn't step on the gas at all.   I miss these details in Portnoy's work...not only this track but many other covers that I've heard him play.  Sure, he's got monstrous chops and devour complexity in a trice but it takes skill to produce details on an instrument (or with the voice, for that matter) too.   I interpret Pedro's unfavourable comments on Portnoy vis-a-vis Mason in that light.  By the way, I wouldn't even want to hear Mason attempt Erotomania.

I very much agree with you here. I had noticed this thing you mention about Mason drumming with some sort of melody on Set the Controls from Live at Pompeii, and I really love it... and he did that on some other songs from the early albums. As far as I understand it, I heard the same thing on a few songs with Carl Palmer too. It's too bad both Mason and Palmer stopped doing that, I'd love to have heard this kind of drumming more often in other bands too. Oh yeah, and it was because of this "melody" kind of drumming that I sometimes feel I actually like Carl Palmer better than Bruford himself.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2013 at 20:32
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

^^^  Ah, but he does make full use of the snare even here at around 4:20.  Pedro can be pretty opinionated but I wouldn't discount his powers of observation.  And something Mason achieves on the Live at Pompeii version that I didn't hear here is....he actually creates a sense of melody on drums from around 3:40 that blends very well with the 'actual' melody being played at that point.  I am not going to say it is impossible for some other drummer to produce that effect but it is certainly something I've heard rarely, if at all, from any drummer.   I had never noticed this before but I was piqued by Pedro's comments on Set Controls and wanted to find out for myself.

I also notice that Mason plays very lightly, though quickly, from 3:40 through around 4:20 and doesn't step on the gas at all.   I miss these details in Portnoy's work...not only this track but many other covers that I've heard him play.  Sure, he's got monstrous chops and devour complexity in a trice but it takes skill to produce details on an instrument (or with the voice, for that matter) too.   I interpret Pedro's unfavourable comments on Portnoy vis-a-vis Mason in that light.  By the way, I wouldn't even want to hear Mason attempt Erotomania.

Thx ... I just want to point out ... the term that is used in Brazil for the street drummers, and the drunk, and fun folks, during Carnaval, for example. How rock'n'roll that really is, don't you think?

That is known as "batucada" and is not considered drumming, or have any attempt whatsoever, to even be considered music. But it can, and follows a beat and has a certain amount of time and place for certain things to happen withit.

A lot of rock drumming, for me, is like that. I do not see Mike P as good a "musician" as Pierre Moerlin, for example, who was a well known and educated percussionist, before he was a "drummer" ... and you can see the difference in the "Exposed" DVD ... Mike is nowhere near that capable, even if Tubular Bells is rather mechanical and probably easier for most drummers!

Mason wouldn't do Erotomania ... he's more jazz minded than that.

I have never heard batucada but great tabla players can also create a sense of melody on their instrument and that is how I related to it when I heard Mason do the same.  
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2013 at 17:13
Originally posted by Billy 7 Billy 7 wrote:

Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Collins is an excellent drummer - his work on Genesis Live is as good as anything else in prog.

And how about those nifty Brand X recordings!

I expect Collins to have some fans on a prog site but go over to rock forums and not so ! Very overated in prog circles !

Utter  bollocks!
Billy 7 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2013 at 17:09
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Collins is an excellent drummer - his work on Genesis Live is as good as anything else in prog.

And how about those nifty Brand X recordings!

I expect Collins to have some fans on a prog site but go over to rock forums and not so ! Very overated in prog circles !
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2013 at 14:03

^^^  Ah, but he does make full use of the snare even here at around 4:20.  Pedro can be pretty opinionated but I wouldn't discount his powers of observation.  And something Mason achieves on the Live at Pompeii version that I didn't hear here is....he actually creates a sense of melody on drums from around 3:40 that blends very well with the 'actual' melody being played at that point.  I am not going to say it is impossible for some other drummer to produce that effect but it is certainly something I've heard rarely, if at all, from any drummer.   I had never noticed this before but I was piqued by Pedro's comments on Set Controls and wanted to find out for myself.

I also notice that Mason plays very lightly, though quickly, from 3:40 through around 4:20 and doesn't step on the gas at all.   I miss these details in Portnoy's work...not only this track but many other covers that I've heard him play.  Sure, he's got monstrous chops and devour complexity in a trice but it takes skill to produce details on an instrument (or with the voice, for that matter) too.   I interpret Pedro's unfavourable comments on Portnoy vis-a-vis Mason in that light.  By the way, I wouldn't even want to hear Mason attempt Erotomania.

Thx ... I just want to point out ... the term that is used in Brazil for the street drummers, and the drunk, and fun folks, during Carnaval, for example. How rock'n'roll that really is, don't you think?

That is known as "batucada" and is not considered drumming, or have any attempt whatsoever, to even be considered music. But it can, and follows a beat and has a certain amount of time and place for certain things to happen withit.

A lot of rock drumming, for me, is like that. I do not see Mike P as good a "musician" as Pierre Moerlin, for example, who was a well known and educated percussionist, before he was a "drummer" ... and you can see the difference in the "Exposed" DVD ... Mike is nowhere near that capable, even if Tubular Bells is rather mechanical and probably easier for most drummers!

Mason wouldn't do Erotomania ... he's more jazz minded than that.

Edited by moshkito - March 31 2013 at 14:04
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2013 at 13:13
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

Any thoughts on Mick Fleetwood?  I knew a drummer who thought Mick was less than impressive....I don't think he's bad really, maybe a bit unimaginative?

Should read his own book out ... he doesn't think he's a good drummer and too often he was so far out of it, that he didn't know the difference, but he's not bad ... he's fun to watch, and he is clean ... very clean when they do their own material!

Edited by moshkito - April 01 2013 at 15:01
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2013 at 01:59
Anyone having seen Live In Pompei should know that if Nick Mason became a 'simpler' drummer it was because he chose to, not because he could not play.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2013 at 22:36
^^^  I think I mentioned it before, there's a tendency to dismiss subtlety or nuance as something 'subjective' or 'personal' and therefore not very important in rating a drummer.  That is not the case.   How those nuances affect you may be personal but the musician has to do something tangible to produce a subtle variation or inflection.   From my limited experience of singing, I know that that is NOT something anybody can do and it is not at all necessary that somebody who is technically well equipped would have a flair for nuance.   It takes a complete master of his craft to do something that is both technically demanding and is also very expressive.   
silverpot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2013 at 19:30
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

Any thoughts on Mick Fleetwood?  I knew a drummer who thought Mick was less than impressive....I don't think he's bad really, maybe a bit unimaginative?

I think he's lovely. Very subtle.
But from the discussion here I've come to realise that most people don't appreciate that. Same with Nick Mason, a drummer that chose not to out-stage the rest of the gang. 
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2013 at 18:19

verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2013 at 18:15
Originally posted by zravkapt zravkapt wrote:

Nick Mason is no Meg White, but he ain't bad...

His, uh, eyebrows aren't as nice as hers. LOL
zravkapt View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2013 at 15:36
Nick Mason is no Meg White, but he ain't bad...

Magma America Great Make Again
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2013 at 11:23

Lynx33 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2013 at 09:51
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Originally posted by JS19 JS19 wrote:

Nik Mason = poor drummer who got lucky

Pink Floyd are good despite him, not because of him. he's not a bad drummer. Just an extremely simplistic one. Keeps time and nothing more.

I can't help thinking that when this is said, that one is not listening to the whole of what is called ... "Pink Floyd" ... for folks to have an idea of how well, they supported each other. And sometimes, the simplest, or softest, touch ... is all that is needed ... but Mike P would never know or understand that!

You have no idea what you are talking about here, or you just haven't listened to enough Mike P. He is a bad drummer in a good band? Maybe, he is not the best in the world, right. But he is bad? No way. He is very much versatile too. It's enough if you listen (which you certainly didn't) to his recordings outside DT, with Osi, Transatlantic, LTE, Neal Morse, Flying Colors, Hammer of the Gods (Led Zep tribute), Cygnus and the Sea Monsters (Rush tribute), Amazing Journey (The Who tribute), Yellow Matter Custard (The Beatles tribute) etc, he was a guest drummer on the 2005 Fates Warning tour, he did great, and he did play Set the controls... with Osi, which you mentioned earlier he wouldn't be able to do:

Sure, it's not the original, but it ain't BAD. I would be curious to hear what Nick Mason could do with for example Erotomania or Scarred, though he is not a bad drummer too. Just like Charlie Watts (I can't be satisfied is very very cool), Mick Avory, John Densmore or Tico Torres, who all have been criticized for being too simple or basic. I think they're okay to the music.

Edited by Lynx33 - March 30 2013 at 11:19
Mindez elmúlt. Ma már tudom köszönteni a szépséget.
KingCrInuYasha View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2013 at 17:37

Nick Mason = poor drummer who got lucky

Pink Floyd are good despite him, not because of him. he's not a bad drummer. Just an extremely simplistic one. Keeps time and nothing more.

Actually, he wasn't always simplistic, especially during the Piper era. It wasn't until around Meddle that he simplified his style.
He looks at this world and wants it all... so he strikes, like Thunderball!
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2013 at 09:08

I can't help thinking that when this is said, that one is not listening to the whole of what is called ... "Pink Floyd" ... for folks to have an idea of how well, they supported each other. And sometimes, the simplest, or softest, touch ... is all that is needed ... but Mike P would never know or understand that!

In Brazil that is the difference between "batucada" and "drumming", btw ... and it is an apt description for rock'n'roll and most prog and popular music ... it's just "batucada" ... or simply, as in the Carnival, ... street druming!  So ... yeah ... Dean is right ... a lot of this stuff is just popular music!

Edited by moshkito - March 27 2013 at 09:14
www.pedrosena.com
JS19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2013 at 15:37

Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2013 at 13:21
So glad we got Moshtiko to tell us what good drumming is.Dead
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2013 at 13:10

I disagree and think that is a sad comment, and just to give you an idea how different folks can be and how many different things can be done with a drum kit ... that 90% of all the drummers in "prog" never do, or are capable of doing!

If all you want is a time keeper, get a flipping metronome! If all you want is an idiot DAW, why are you getting a Mike P to bang away on the snare drum every 4th beat ... or skip one once in a while, to show how clever he is!

The test of how good you are in your instrument, is about how far you can take it ... that others don't ... and that is the history of music ... except in "prog", and "fan-boards", where we measure everything by "favorites" and "music we like" and not objectively, by the music that was made.

There is a reason or 2, more like 4 actually, why Pink Floyd made it ... and Nick Mason is as much a part of it as every one else in the band ... end of story.

And it is also unfair that so many folks consider Ringo a bad drummer ... he only became a bad drummer after the Beatles when he didn't ahve to drum anymore ... all he had to do is sit there and look pretty for the cameras! But the drumming, the accents and the moments, with the kit, in the last 3 or 4 albums is faultless ... and you can not teach that, because too many folks can only count 1, 2, 3, 4 and nothing else ... if you can't get off the mechanics and get back on them, you are not a musician ... they used to say that you are a teacher -- a musician that didn't make it!

It's still the same today ... except that we're so indoctrinated by top ten and crap that we don't even have any idea what is good or bad, or worse ... right or wrong! And music history doesn't need another time keeper ... but a drummer that can make you feel the clouds, the wind, the thunder and the whispers ... which most can't display! The majority of drummers listed here would never survive 3 minutes of "A Saucerfull of Secrets" ... and I tried this in 1973 when even my roomate - a magnificent drummer inspired by Carl Palmer -- could not do Pierre Moerlin in Gong's You, and he even said ... that was difficult! He also had a hard time duplicating some parts in the Amon Duul 2 material ... !!!

But no ... we compare it to the easiest and simplest material!

Phil Collins was good until "The Lamb ... " and after that, he did not have time to dedicate to his drumming anymore. And some of his best work after that was in a couple of Eno albums. Even in the Brand X stuff, it was not that great, but added a nice personality that the band never had again no matter how hard Ollie tried ... he just could not find a good drummer!
www.pedrosena.com
Billy 7 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2013 at 18:35
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 11>