Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Gigs, Tours and Festivals
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Kansas-Single Show,Original Members,Pittsburgh,USA
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedKansas-Single Show,Original Members,Pittsburgh,USA

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Kansas-Single Show,Original Members,Pittsburgh,USA
    Posted: March 04 2013 at 15:50
Well how do you like that, Pittsburgh is hosting the reunion:

Originally posted by The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette wrote:

Rock band Kansas to perform fan appreciation concert in Pittsburgh

By Scott Mervis / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Progressive rock band Kansas is playing a "once-in-a-lifetime fan appreciation concert" to celebrate its 40th anniversary, and that event will take place in Pittsburgh on Aug. 17 at the Benedum Center, Downtown.

The concert will mark the first time in more than 30 years that all six original members of the band will be on stage together. Kansas will begin the concert backed by a 35-piece orchestra and then follow with a traditional rock band second set. The concert is not part of a tour, as the band is taking a break from its regular touring schedule.

Kansas formed in 1973 in Topeka, Kan. Why celebrate in Pittsburgh?

"People need to know that Pittsburgh, and the whole state of Pennsylvania, discovered the band Kansas first!," drummer Phil Ehart said in a statement. "We came here in the early days, and Pittsburgh was like our home away from home! Heck, we are even using Rich Engler to promote this show at what used to be the Stanley Theater. Rich Engler and the incredible Stanley Theater ... just like the old days! How cool is that?"

Three of the original members -- Dave Hope, Kerry Livgren and Robby Steinhardt -- are no longer with the band and will be returning as special guests. They'll join original members Steve Walsh, Robbie Williams and Phil Ehart, and current members Billy Greer and David Ragsdale

There will be a limited number of VIP tickets available, but there are no details yet on prices or sale date.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/ae/music/rock-band-kansas-to-perform-fan-appreciation-concert-in-pittsburgh-677745/#ixzz2MbtTjnU9

Edited by Roland113 - March 04 2013 at 19:43
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2013 at 18:15
Wow!  I hope they decide to take that on tour and come to NorCal.  Or at least videotape it so the rest of us schlubs on the other side of the continent can get in on some of that action.  Sounds dynamite.
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2013 at 21:33
Oh, too bad I'm in the wrong side of the pond for this one Unhappy
Hopefully they will film it and release it as a DVD. 'There's Know Place Like Home' was already great and I doubt they can better it though.
Roland113 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2013 at 07:48
If anyone ends up coming in for this, let me know.  I can see a beer or two after the show.
Loud Zappalyn View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2013 at 05:15
Mr Mervis: Robbie Williams?? His name is Richard - same as me Tongue
ClemofNazareth View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog Folk Researcher

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2013 at 14:55
Okay, so who was able to see this live?  Sadly I live only a couple hours away but was unable to get tickets before they sold out.

Good to hear there is a documentary of the band in the works.  Can't wait to see that.  And I gotta believe there's a DVD of the concert coming too.  Awesome set list!

"Peace is the only battle worth waging."

Albert Camus
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2013 at 21:55
They did "Magnum Opus" in its entirety?  It's not my favorite piece, but damn- it's one they never do.

I'm surprised they didn't do "The Pinnacle."  That would have been (in my opinion) even more remarkable.

But incredible set list.  It sounds like people had a hell of a time. 
The Shrubbery View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2013 at 00:14
wow... on the other side! Love Monolith!!
Let's make Prog a family again. Tired of Snobbery and trolling. We all have a right to love what and who we love so lets respect and appreciate all who care about the finest music in the world... prog
 Post Reply Post Reply