Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBattle of the Hipsters

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Poll Question: Which of these hipster bands is the best?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
2 [3.64%]
2 [3.64%]
2 [3.64%]
4 [7.27%]
12 [21.82%]
3 [5.45%]
22 [40.00%]
2 [3.64%]
6 [10.91%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2013 at 11:34
From what I can tell, "hipsters" is a term that's popped up on the Internet, and particularly Youtube, when net users view other people having fun at concerts and clubs. It's the only place I've seen this word bandied about, on the comments section of Youtube videos. As in, "Oh, look at all those hipsters standing around looking silly at that Four Tet concert."

Those who use this term may be strongly related to HL Mencken's definition of a puritan: The sneaking suspicion that someone, somewhere, may be having fun.

Another way of putting it: hipsters is what suburbanites call urban dwellers.

The irony is that this new use of a rather outdated term could only be used by what could be termed "hipsters." In this context, saying I hate hipsters is tantamount to saying I hate myself.

Edited by jude111 - March 05 2013 at 11:40
jude111 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2013 at 11:42
Originally posted by Failcore Failcore wrote:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&site=imghp&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=1600&bih=808&q=hipsters&oq=hipsters&gs_l=img.3..0l10.995.4735.0.4880.16.10.3.2.2.0.238.1271.2j6j1.9.0...0.0...1ac.1.5.img.0b7f9nG3tec

Judging by these photos, 'hipsters' are what Americans call that small minority of Americans with style and fashion sense. As in, "Oh, look at that dude wearing a scarf, he must be gay or European. What a hipster." 

["Gay or European": haha - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pCybcpkm5c]

Edited by jude111 - March 05 2013 at 13:00
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2013 at 12:11
Originally posted by Prog Sothoth Prog Sothoth wrote:

Cynic is a hipster band? When did that happen?

"Hipster" seems to have evolved into this general somewhat derogatory term that doesn't really mean anything anymore.

Just like indie, or emo.

Since when are the Ozrics hipster anyway?
ole-the-first View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2013 at 12:21
Gojira? Hipster? Since when?

Anyway, it's Anathema for me out of this list.

Edited by ole-the-first - March 05 2013 at 15:39
This night wounds time.
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2013 at 13:14
I, too, am uncertain as to what constitutes a "hipster." According to the web page you linked us to, it seems "hipster" is a fashion statement? Is that right? So, do the bands you listed in your poll dress like this? And, if so, why does this matter? They look comfortable in their post-Flashdance, neo-philosopher, pseudo back-to-nature geek apparel. How does this impact their musical choices, much less a band's musical stylings? 

I'm really still not getting this "hipster" thing. Guess I'll continue to do my research.

Is the "hipster" of today like the Glammers or Preppies or Greasers or Beatniks of their eras?

One of my daughters (age 19) uses this term a lot but I thought she was referring to a type of person who tries to act like something because they think it's the in trend but they're really not the "hippies' they think/wannabe. Is that close to your definition of "hipster"??

Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2013 at 13:18
I thought a "hipster" listened to certain music because it was ironic to do so.
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2013 at 13:22
However, for the hipster, there is nothing to be ashamed of in liking utter dreck, for, unlike lesser mortals, hipsters are allowed to like bad music. In fact, they are allowed to brag about the dozens of musical travesties in their extensive collection of LP's,[8] and even play them for their fellow hipsters. There are even a few persons in the movement who insist that one can't be a hipster unless you listen to crud. They can do this because, as hipsters, they have learned how to listen to music in an ironic fashion. In other words, it's okay to like crappy music, as long as you acknowledge that it's crappy and claim to enjoy it for its crappiness.

Sometimes I like music for it's crappiness, but it's a very, very small percentage of my music listening, most crap I find to be...... crap. Does this exclude me from being a hipster? Are you saying the bands in the poll list are crappy?

Edited by darkshade - March 05 2013 at 13:22
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2013 at 15:19
I don't know (or really care) what is cool, but I DO like Ozric Tentacles.
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
questionsneverknown View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2013 at 15:58
The surest way to identify a hipster is by how often he or she says they hate hipsters.
The damage that we do is just so powerfully strong we call it love

The damage that we do just goes on and on and on but not long enough.

--Robyn Hitchcock
Failcore View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2013 at 20:05
Wow there's a whole lot of butthurt here, haha.

Really surprised Ozrics are blowing away everyone else.

Edited by Failcore - March 05 2013 at 20:06
Failcore View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2013 at 20:11
Originally posted by sleeper sleeper wrote:

Originally posted by mister nobody mister nobody wrote:

Originally posted by Failcore Failcore wrote:

I left out some obvious choices such as TMV, Radiohead, and the Decemberists in order to be fair. I generally loathe hipsters and a lot of their music, but I like the more interesting, less cutesy side of hipster music a great deal, I must admit.
I don't know how to express myself without being rude, but your username really fits you.

I was thinking the exact same thing.

Anyway, voted for Intronaut, amazing band.

Why thank you, that's why I chose it! Nice to see someone really gets me! LOL
MattGuitat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2013 at 22:19
Pink Floyd because of the cool cover with the triangle and colors. So non-mainstream, might buy the T-shirt, who needs to buy the album? Embarrassed
Any Colour You Like View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2013 at 23:06
lol, if you recognise more than one of these bands, there is a fair chance you're a hipster. If you own anything from these artists, you might want to take off your fedora and pat yourself on the head. You have good taste. 

So what?

Pelican for me.
The Mystical View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2013 at 03:22
When you think about it, all prog is hipster to some degree. I vote Ozrics.

I am currently digging:

Hawkwind, Rare Bird, Gong, Tangerine Dream, Khan, Iron Butterfly, and all things canterbury and hard-psych. I also love jazz!

Please drop me a message with album suggestions.
Stool Man View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2013 at 04:23
All prog is trousers?
rotten hound of the burnie crew
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2013 at 08:49
Ok, so Ozric Tentacles have made the same album 24 times in a row now, and that somehow makes them a hipster band?
jude111 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2013 at 08:55
Originally posted by Stool Man Stool Man wrote:

All prog is trousers?

You ever read any Kerouac? The term hipster's been around a long while. I remember in the 90s, on Seinfeld, Elaine called Kramer a "hipster doofus." It isn't a new term:

From Wikipedia: "Hipster or hepcat, as used in the 1940s, referred to aficionados of jazz, in particular bebop, which became popular in the early 1940s. The hipster adopted the lifestyle of the jazz musician, including some or all of the following: dress, slang, use of cannabis and other drugs, relaxed attitude, sarcastic humor, self-imposed poverty and relaxed sexual codes." - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hipster_(1940s_subculture)

Edited by jude111 - March 06 2013 at 08:58
Earendil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2013 at 11:29
Almost every hipster I know only listens to Explosions in the Sky from this list, and I'd never actually consider them a hipster band.  Isn't "hipster music" indie and folk rock?

Edited by Earendil - March 06 2013 at 11:30
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2013 at 11:36
Originally posted by Earendil Earendil wrote:

Almost every hipster I know only listens to Explosions in the Sky from this list, and I'd never actually consider them a hipster band.  Isn't "hipster music" indie and folk rock?

First time I heard the expression applied to music fans, it was about those people who take pride in listening to the most out there, unnatural and unlistenable - all the stuff most others love to hate. The classic example is Captain Beefheart's Trout Mask Replica, which many people call anti music and furthermore deem fans of said record liars, because there is in fact nothing to like about it, it's not even music! People who like Trout Mask Replica were the original hipsters in the way I understand the word in regards to music. The same applies to Lou Reed's Metal Machine Music or the second side of Ummagumma actually.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
jude111 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2013 at 11:49
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Originally posted by Earendil Earendil wrote:

First time I heard the expression applied to music fans, it was about those people who take pride in listening to the most out there, unnatural and unlistenable - all the stuff most others love to hate. The classic example is Captain Beefheart's Trout Mask Replica, which many people call anti music and furthermore deem fans of said record liars, because there is in fact nothing to like about it, it's not even music! People who like Trout Mask Replica were the original hipsters in the way I understand the word in regards to music. The same applies to Lou Reed's Metal Machine Music or the second side of Ummagumma actually.

The term hipster originates from the post-WW2 bebop era of Charlie Parker and Beat Literature. From Wikipedia: "Hipster or hepcat, as used in the 1940s, referred to aficionados of jazz, in particular bebop, which became popular in the early 1940s. The hipster adopted the lifestyle of the jazz musician, including some or all of the following: dress, slang, use of cannabis and other drugs, relaxed attitude, sarcastic humor, self-imposed poverty and relaxed sexual codes." - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hipster_(1940s_subculture)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>