Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe Sixties

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Poll Question: Which of these hippie bands is your favorite?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
5 [9.09%]
10 [18.18%]
9 [16.36%]
13 [23.64%]
2 [3.64%]
15 [27.27%]
1 [1.82%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2013 at 11:14
Originally posted by Jim Garten Jim Garten wrote:

Of those listed:
The Jimi Hendrix Experience - I am one of the few people who actually think Hendrix was over-rated (so shoot me) & never actually liked much other than the obvious few tracks

Not to sound rude or insult your opinions (the Moody Blues do rule, BTW Smile), but why is Hendrix overrated in your book?
He looks at this world and wants it all... so he strikes, like Thunderball!
jude111 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2013 at 11:56
Originally posted by KingCrInuYasha KingCrInuYasha wrote:

Not to sound rude or insult your opinions (the Moody Blues do rule, BTW Smile), but why is Hendrix overrated in your book?

What's turned me off totally about Hendrix is the godlike-adoration bestowed upon him by obsessives. Almost always American. Always white. Always male. (And curiously enough, usually from Florida.) Always a guitar player himself. If I'm totally honest, I quite enjoyed Hendrix when I was into his music and last listened to him 20 years a go or so. But I'm usually not so honest. Usually I'll say something like, "Hendrix, ugh. Change the subject, you don't want to know what I think." The people I know who have a near-worship for Hendrix, they shut down when it comes to any other music. It's the only music for them, unless it's someone close, like Stevie Ray Vaughan (whose music I was subjected to once for an hour by an obsessed Hendrix fan, who made me watch a dvd - and I never need to hear Vaughan's music again, I've been properly traumatized).

Edited by jude111 - March 06 2013 at 12:00
Pastor Rex Cat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2013 at 12:03
Gave Iron Butterfly my vote because no one else did so far. I can't decide really. I dig them all.
http://revbookburn.blogspot.com/
http://www.youtube.com/user/rexcat
http://www.myspace.com/prxcat

Greetings! And Welcome to The Global Internet Church of Prog!
Hail the Prog and Praise "Bob"!
KingCrInuYasha View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2013 at 14:07
Originally posted by jude111 jude111 wrote:

What's turned me off totally about Hendrix is the godlike-adoration bestowed upon him by obsessives. Almost always American. Always white. Always male. (And curiously enough, usually from Florida.) Always a guitar player himself. If I'm totally honest, I quite enjoyed Hendrix when I was into his music and last listened to him 20 years a go or so. But I'm usually not so honest. Usually I'll say something like, "Hendrix, ugh. Change the subject, you don't want to know what I think." The people I know who have a near-worship for Hendrix, they shut down when it comes to any other music. It's the only music for them, unless it's someone close, like Stevie Ray Vaughan (whose music I was subjected to once for an hour by an obsessed Hendrix fan, who made me watch a dvd - and I never need to hear Vaughan's music again, I've been properly traumatized).

I can see that happening. To be honest, I was pretty much like this as a kid with my like for the Beatles. Nine times out of ten, that would be the music I would listen to and would try to get people into them, regardless of whether or not they were interested. It got to a point where my mother and sister would get tired of it. I like to think I've gotten better, but, given my asking of why Hendrix is overrated, I think I still need to work on that.

From your experience, I guess it has something to do with what some people like to call the "Citizen Kane effect", where a work of art, whether or not it live up to the hype, has been praised by so many people, it's reached the point  that it's universally accepted to be the greatest work of all time. Anyone attempting to question that work and/or present an alternative as something that could be just as good, if not better, would be accused of being contrarian  for the sake of it.

BTW, I voted for Hendrix, but the Doors, the Moody Blues, the Byrds and the Soft Machine also have some stuff that's worth a listen or two or more.
He looks at this world and wants it all... so he strikes, like Thunderball!
jude111 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2013 at 14:39

Originally posted by jude111 jude111 wrote:

I can see that happening. To be honest, I was pretty much like this as a kid with my like for the Beatles. Nine times out of ten, that would be the music I would listen to and would try to get people into them, regardless of whether or not they were interested. It got to a point where my mother and sister would get tired of it. I like to think I've gotten better, but, given my asking of why Hendrix is overrated, I think I still need to work on that.

From your experience, I guess it has something to do with what some people like to call the "Citizen Kane effect", where a work of art, whether or not it live up to the hype, has been praised by so many people, it's reached the point  that it's universally accepted to be the greatest work of all time. Anyone attempting to question that work and/or present an alternative as something that could be just as good, if not better, would be accused of being contrarian  for the sake of it.

BTW, I voted for Hendrix, but the Doors, the Moody Blues, the Byrds and the Soft Machine also have some stuff that's worth a listen or two or more.

Haha, but Beatles fans are usually much more open, in my experience. 

LOL
Stool Man View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2013 at 15:08
and Yoko Ono fans?
rotten hound of the burnie crew
jude111 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2013 at 15:13
Originally posted by Stool Man Stool Man wrote:

and Yoko Ono fans?

I never met one! LOLLOL
The-time-is-now View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2013 at 08:01
The Moody Blues.

One of my best achievements in life was to find this picture :D
Stool Man View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2013 at 08:17
Originally posted by Stool Man Stool Man wrote:

With a title like "The Sixties", this poll ought to have at least sixty bands in it.

And let's also discuss the music of these and other bands, rather than posting a repetitive list of the same few names over and
rotten hound of the burnie crew
Jim Garten View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin & Razor Guru

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2013 at 09:00

Not at all, it's a fair question - to be honest, I found his guitar style sloppy & repetitive & in my opinion, he was worshiped mainly due to the fact he was (arguably) the first to play in that style; some of those he influenced (again in my opinion) did it better.

Yes, I'm talking about Robin Trower & (to a lesser extent) Frank Marino, here.

Now I am going to get shot

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2013 at 09:12

Not at all, it's a fair question - to be honest, I found his guitar style sloppy & repetitive & in my opinion, he was worshiped mainly due to the fact he was (arguably) the first to play in that style; some of those he influenced (again in my opinion) did it better.

Yes, I'm talking about Robin Trower & (to a lesser extent) Frank Marino, here.

Now I am going to get shot

Better duck comrade!!!!

Naw, in all seriousness, and even if I myself worship Hendrix, then I can understand where you're coming from. Jimi wasn't the ONLY to bring something new to the table in those days, and many of his "styles" were indeed also adopted by others successfully. I don't know whether they did it better, but hey that's all down to taste. As you mentioned Trower and Marino. One more whom I think deserves mentioning is Peter Green. Man he was smoking on The End of the Game. Gotta love the leopard cover tooLOL

“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
ole-the-first View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2013 at 11:22
How could The Moody Blues receive more votes than The Doors? They released only one classic album, 'Days of Future Passed', the rest was pretty second-grade.

And The Doors is one of the most innovative yet greatly enjoyable bands of all time.
This night wounds time.
Jim Garten View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin & Razor Guru

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2013 at 11:24
Originally posted by ole-the-first ole-the-first wrote:

And The Doors is one of the most innovative yet greatly enjoyable bands of all time.

I preferred them when they got some attitude & renamed themselved The Stranglers

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012
The Doctor View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2013 at 11:29

How could The Moody Blues receive more votes than The Doors? They released only one classic album, 'Days of Future Passed', the rest was pretty second-grade.

Meh.  I never really thought that highly of the Doors.  And Jim Morrison was overrated as both a lyricist and a singer.  Most of their stuff irritates me.  Maybe an enjoyable song here and there if I can get past Morrison's drunken baritone. 
I can understand your anger at me, but what did the horse I rode in on ever do to you?
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2013 at 11:33
I love everything The Doors ever made. There I said it. 
Jim's vocals are my absolute favourite on the planet, and I just love the mad concoction of a classically trained pianist, a blues and flamenco guitarist, a jazz drummer and a warped poet with an affinity for the spiritual. Can't beat that imoCool
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Moogtron III View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2013 at 13:20
The Moodies just before Soft Machine
ole-the-first View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2013 at 15:47
Originally posted by The Doctor The Doctor wrote:

Meh.  I never really thought that highly of the Doors.  And Jim Morrison was overrated as both a lyricist and a singer.  Most of their stuff irritates me.  Maybe an enjoyable song here and there if I can get past Morrison's drunken baritone. 

As singer maybe, but as lyricist? The fact that his lyrics irritate you doesn't mean that he was overrated.
This night wounds time.
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2013 at 16:05

I preferred them when they got some attitude & renamed themselved The Stranglers
Wow, Jim's really  going for it in this thread!
Hawkwise View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2013 at 16:26
Moody Blues by long waaaaaaaaaay
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2013 at 19:26
Voted The Doors. 

Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.