Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRecent album covers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Poll Question: Which recent album cover is your favorite?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
2 [2.70%]
13 [17.57%]
15 [20.27%]
1 [1.35%]
10 [13.51%]
13 [17.57%]
5 [6.76%]
15 [20.27%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2013 at 15:28
I'm a big fan of botht he Corvus Stone and latest Glass Hammer covers. Both have that dark, haunting and mysterious vibe to them.Clap
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
The Bearded Bard View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2013 at 12:27
List:

Other:
Anathema Weather Systems album cover
jude111 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2013 at 22:38
I don't think any album cover from the past year garnered more attention than this one, and for good reason:

jude111 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2013 at 22:43
Originally posted by akamaisondufromage akamaisondufromage wrote:

I don't like THe Raven it just reminds me of The Scream and I just think its another in a long line...

I think it's great. It reminds me of Méliès' Le voyage dans la lune:

Edited by jude111 - March 08 2013 at 22:50
infocat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2013 at 22:55
Originally posted by jude111 jude111 wrote:

I don't think any album cover from the past year garnered more attention than this one, and for good reason:

God is that one lame.  I still can't believe its not just a joke!
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.
jude111 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2013 at 23:03
Originally posted by infocat infocat wrote:

God is that one lame.  I still can't believe its not just a joke!

Not many in the press agreed. When the image of the album was made public, the web was abuzz. No other album cover generated as much discussion and dialogue:

London Guardian: "Why David Bowie's new album cover is a masterstroke":

The Quietus: "Jonathan Barnbrook Talks Bowie Artwork": 

Barnbrook Blog: "David Bowie: The Next Day. That album cover design":

Nearly every review of the album mentions the artwork. The Sun talks about "the bombshell artwork by Brit graphic designer Jonathan Barnbrook," while Pitchfork calls it "provocative." NPR writes that it's "a brilliantly simple yet shrewd piece of appropriated art, a gesture announcing that Bowie will not try to break with his past, but instead will transmute it, refract it and, if he's lucky, deepen it." The Independent calls it a "typically artful cover" for Bowie, while according to NME it's a "gleeful, meme-tastic defacement of ‘Heroes’."

Edited by jude111 - March 08 2013 at 23:29
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2013 at 06:19
We all have different views of what constitutes art, good or bad, but I must also confess to thinking that Bowie cover art extremely easy bought and unimaginative. He's essentially doing the same as Ian did with Thick as a Brick mark 2. I haven't heard the music yet though, but it has to be a true reflection/distance taken between the image of Heroes overslapped by the nothingness of that sticker. I seriously doubt it. 
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
jude111 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2013 at 06:34
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

We all have different views of what constitutes art, good or bad, but I must also confess to thinking that Bowie cover art extremely easy bought and unimaginative. He's essentially doing the same as Ian did with Thick as a Brick mark 2. I haven't heard the music yet though, but it has to be a true reflection/distance taken between the image of Heroes overslapped by the nothingness of that sticker. I seriously doubt it. 

I think it's more like if Pink Floyd had made a new album, used the "Dark Side of the Moon" cover and crossed out their name at the top (if their name was on that cover) and put a block of white over the prism. That would be shocking and it would get all of us talking about what it means.

Warhol slapped a banana on a cover and it's still one of the most iconic album covers ever made.

It would be easy for me to say, "Oh, I could have thought of that." But I didn't though. One could say that about Picasso's art as well, or some of the found objects presented as art pieces by the likes of Duchamp.

Yes, it's not a still life of fruit or a reclining nude. But then, Bowie always was a modernist kind of guy. Of course, it's not a prog album cover - there are no elves and pixies LOL

Edited by jude111 - March 15 2013 at 06:56
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2013 at 06:38

I don't think people are getting it. It's more like if Pink Floyd had made a new album, used the "Dark Side of the Moon" cover and crossed out their name at the top (if their name was on that cover) and put a block of white over the prism. That would be shocking and it would get all of us talking about what it means.

Yeah it seems easy to say, "Oh, I could have thought of that." You didn't though. One could say that about Picasso's art as well, or some of the found objects presented as art pieces by the likes of Duchamp.

Yes, it's not a still life of fruit or a reclining nude. But then, Bowie always was a modernist kind of guy.

I get what you're saying, and I don't really think I can judge the cover before I've investigated in the album's content - all I'm saying is that I found it rather dull and uninspired, is all.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
jude111 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2013 at 06:41

I get what you're saying, and I don't really think I can judge the cover before I've investigated in the album's content - all I'm saying is that I found it rather dull and uninspired, is all.

Sorry, I didn't mean to come off so strongly, Cry I haven't heard the album yet either LOL I edited my post to reflect my meaning more ;-)

Edited by jude111 - March 15 2013 at 06:43
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2013 at 06:49

Sorry, I didn't mean to come off so strongly, LOL I haven't heard the album yet either! LOL

LOLNo problemo dude - I tend to do the same some times.

Hey I didn't catch you edit before, but I just gotta say that I adore the banana cover by Andy, but that is something completely different, at least to me personally. I've always had a thing for patterns, irregular and organic, and those two things appear mostly in nature. So I've always had a thing for bananas, which means taht I've loved that cover ver since the first time I saw it. What speaks to me the most, is the way he's incorporated shades in the peel (Those patterns I was on about). He really "got that", and I find it beautiful without all the trickery of peeling it off and discovering pink fleshLOL
Conversely, I am not at all intrigued by the recent Bowie. I don't find it appealing. Doesn't grab me. And it sure isn't beautiful imo.
Anyway - eye of the beholder and all... 

- Douglas Adams
mageestout View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2013 at 10:51
Can't pick one since none do anything for me.
However Steven Wilson - The Raven that Refused to Sing's cover is just lame. I really enjoy most of his music (even though the lyrics can be a downer), and just seen his great concert at the Keswick, the LP (umm...CD) cover is just lame. As much thought and care as he puts into his music its as none is put forth in the cover - and I always thought FEAR OF A BLANK PLANETS's cover was a rip-off of Marillion's MARBLES to a degree
Metalmarsh89 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2013 at 11:21
Originally posted by RedNightmareKing RedNightmareKing wrote:

The Raven has always caught my eye for some reason. 

Same here, I could see that cover being one of the "classic covers" of the 2010's 30+ years from now.
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2013 at 20:44
Lagartija's Particelle
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
stegor View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2013 at 00:10
Bowie: Heroes was a Masterstroke. I listened to The Next Day once (when it was streamed online for a day) and when it was over I didn't remember any of it. I don't normally judge anything at a glance, but there wasn't anything about it that made me want to listen again. I think the cover is a contrived marketing ploy. It seems to have worked.
stegor View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2013 at 00:41
Originally posted by fusaka fusaka wrote:

echolyn - Echolyn

It's a window. Kind of dirty. The shade is pulled. The shadow below it is of the fake Photoshop variety. I find this cover unremarkable.

The Flower Kings - Banks of Eden

Flower Kings album covers are hit or miss. This one's a hit. The colors and textures are really beautiful.

The Pineapple Thief - All The Wars

This one's pretty cool. Kind of a science experiment. Chemistry Set Apocalypse. The typography is kept simple and understated so as to not detract from the image.

Galahad - Beyond the Realms of Euphoria

I don't know. Reminds me of a glamor shot, sort of painted over by an art student. Nothing against art students.

Spock's Beard - Brief Noctures and Dreamless Sleep

Rather cliche, isn't it? So Photoshoppy, like most of their covers.

Steven Wilson - The Raven that Refused to Sing

This image is so ubiquitous. I see it everywhere. I'm kind of tired of looking at it and I don't even own it. It's kind of powerful in it's blank stare. The moon. Why doesn't the moon have a name? It's the moon. Like the planet. Is it even capitalized? I've always been drawn to the moon. The Frozen Gray Dwarf. I like it.

Thieves' Kitchen - One for Sorrow, Two for Joy

I like this one. Sort of a colorized woodcut. It has a genuine feel to it, not computer generated, though it may be, and that's ok because it's not obvious.

Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2013 at 01:53
My vote goes to Galahad, TFK is also a nice one.
Spock's Beard's is too archetypal Prog art, flying boats and vessels, how many of them have we already seen? From Fragile to Olias Of Sunhillow to Transatlantic...
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2013 at 01:56
Originally posted by Kati Kati wrote:

I like that album cover too, cstack3Approve Very much, infact that cover I saw before I was inspired to make this one Smile unfortunately many/most don't know it's handpainted all of it nothing was photoshopped/copied, everything was hand drawn and painted from nothing only using paint wich comes standard with microsoft accessories on microsoft office (not to be mistaken with paint.net program) lol I am very limited :)

That's a great work, congratulations! (sorry that I was a bit more critical with the music)
twseel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2013 at 10:49
I seem to be one of the few to like Thieves' Kitchen's cover.Cry
I think it's much more artistic than those other basic pictures.
Neo-Romantic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2013 at 14:42
My pick is other for Riverside's Shrine of New Generation Slaves.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>