Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedGrace (Neo-Prog): Help to find albums needed

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Symphonic Team

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Grace (Neo-Prog): Help to find albums needed
    Posted: March 06 2013 at 08:00

I am looking for this band's 1979 self-titled studio debut album as well as their 1981 live album Grace Live. According to this website http://www.grace-music.co.uk/ both of these albums should have been re-issued as a double CD on MCA records in November 2005, but it seems to be impossible to find any further information on this release.

The same website also lists a new studio album by the band entitled Overdose supposedly released in 2005. But this album too seems to be impossible to find.

True, the very same website offers these albums for sale but only by sending a check which I am reluctant to do. Besides, the website does not seem to have been updated since 2007. I have even tried to send an e-mail to [email protected] but received an automated delivery-failure message.

Any help to locate these albums on CD or download is appreciated.

yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2013 at 04:45
Well, despite an encouraging initial reply to a message I sent to the band via facebook, nothing has been received from the band, despite several subsequent messages both to them and also frontman Mac Austin, so for the time being at least we have to regard the existence of both of these albums, either as downloads or physical CDs, as 'doubtful'. There are listings for the track list of 'Overdose' on the web: http://cdtrrracks.com/Grace/Overdose/ (track individual timings don't add up to total), and http://www.cylist.com/List/406395348/ (different time given for track 10, 'Runaway'), but that is all I could find so far. I have now contacted their former label Cyclops at their GFT Mail Order contact email address to see if they can offer any help in determining the existence (or otherwise) of these albums, and will report back when I hear anything. Smile
Slamazzar View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2017 at 18:14
Hello, the disc may be doubtful, but not its songs Two of them can be heard at https://myspace.com/gracenoise/music/songs - they've been hanging there for more than 10 years by now.

'Runaway' is a really great song (and it's much longer than cylist says). Have a nice listen
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2017 at 20:55
Yes, 'Runaway' is indeed a fine song...don't suppose you know where to find the rest of the songs that are said to make up the album? I never heard anything more from either Mac Austin or GFT/Cyclops, so I'm still assuming the album never actually saw the light of day.
TheH View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2017 at 05:38
Both Albums from 79 and 81 can easily be found on LP for reasonable Prices (rather cheap)

The CD releases of those two and for Overdose never happend in my opinion.

The band still Plays live and they released a live DVD not to long ago. (which is almost impossible to get) 
Slamazzar View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2017 at 18:11
Well, there were once (before myspace got destroyed) 4 more Overdose songs on another profile myspace.com/rikki_reb: Fire of London (a reworking of a 1979 song, which is rather better in its original form), Life Through Lies, One Bad Apple and If Ever. I liked two of them, especially the last one, so I saved them while I could. Now the source of an archived ancient version of this profile indicates that the embedded player was just a linking system and the actual mp3 files were located at grace-music.co.uk, where they are obviously no more (and Wayback Machine doesn't have them archived either, as I made sure). So I can only regret not having checked if there were more songs while there were any. But we know that at least 6 out of 11 are real And I can safely say this seems to be the most musically mature Grace album so far, or at least incomparably better than its poppy predecessor.

Oh, the diary entries from grace-music.co.uk reveal the fact that Overdose was being recorded from 2001 till 2003. What a shame nobody cares about publishing such a gem ever since...

For now, have this: https://www.facebook.com/pg/Grace-116974511721598/videos/?ref=page_internal
Seems to be a recent non-album song. There is also a live version on youtube.

As for the dvd, the last-year one is available here: http://markpri73.wixsite.com/bomarkmusicshop/grace-live-dvd-2016
The shop belongs to the keyboard player from the Pulling-Poppy-Gathering period. Strangely enough, the tracklist doesn't contain anything from Overdose. Instead there are some mysterious new titles... A new dvd recorded this year is said to be in progress.

EDIT: As for the re-release of '79 and '81, I remember finding a Grace discography list ending with two 2005 entries: 'Overdose' and 'Vinyl Tapes'. Can't find this name anymore...

Edited by Slamazzar - April 13 2017 at 18:22
TheH View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2017 at 10:08
^^
Old King Coal is rather an old song from 83/84 written in support of the Miner Strike.
This one might have be released in some form back then, can't remember.

Grace where also active as (Synthie Pop Band)  "White Door" between their first run and the second

Slamazzar View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2017 at 10:21
That's exactly how I went to know them. White Door was popularised in Poland by a DJ who got fascinated with them (last year there was a film about him, titled "The Last Family"). Actually at the end of this upload there is a commentary from a Polish radio

Good to know about this "Old King Coal" song. Still, this studio recording sounds rather like a newer one.
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2017 at 13:41
I know nothing of the early period other than the live album having a few of the tracks.  But "Pulling Strings and Shining Things" is a very fine neo prog album with folk elements.
Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2017 at 15:37
Pulling Strings and shiny things was a really good lp; got it from Cyclops/GFT on tape and my daughter (about 5 or 6 at the time) loved the 'millions of mullions' song!

Slamazzar View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2018 at 11:21
Ok, I found a comprehensive Grace discography with some unknown entries (and some interesting information and opinions too): http://en.calameo.com/read/00270574320f35375501d (search for 'Grace')

So it seems Old King Coal appeared in 1992 as a private charity release. That's surprising, since to me it sounds much more like those several strong Overdose songs than the delicate Poet, Piper & Fool.

Sadly, yam yam is right: Mac switches from enthusiastic to reluctant to talk. I'll work on it ;)
 Post Reply Post Reply