Message Reverse Sort Order
aapatsos View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Uriah Heep, March 2nd 2013, Frome, UK
    Posted: March 07 2013 at 06:49
Originally posted by infocat infocat wrote:

According to the official IQ web site, former IQ bass player John Jowitt is filling in on bass for this tour.  Can't say for sure he was at this particular show, but...

Yes, that should be the one, Trevor Bolder refers to him as JJ in the Heep's website, thanks - pretty quite figure on stage Tongue
ProgMetaller2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2013 at 03:17
Originally posted by Kati Kati wrote:

Just in case anyone doubts my intentions, here a picture with Ken Hensley and me, he is so funny, made me laugh so much and make me look like a Gremlin Big smile lol P.S. I posted this pic on another forum a few days ago too Smile

Not a liar. Kati Hug   No Mick Box?

Edited by ProgMetaller2112 - March 07 2013 at 03:17
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

― George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four

"Ignorance and Prejudice and Fear walk Hand in Hand"- Neil Peart

Easy Livin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2013 at 02:48
Nice review, sounds like a good night! Get well soon Trevor.
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2013 at 22:26
Just in case anyone doubts my intentions, here a picture with Ken Hensley and me, he is so funny, made me laugh so much and make me look like a Gremlin Big smile lol P.S. I posted this pic on another forum a few days ago too Smile

Edited by Kati - March 06 2013 at 22:27
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2013 at 21:44
I never bought an Uriah Heep album  since Ken Hensley left the band, I must add that I have not bought a solo Ken Hensley album either. The band lost one of the ultimate best vocalist ever for me to date, David Byron. However once Ken left the band, they became more Arena rock to me, my neuroids and headphones too agree with me. This said, from that Ken and Byron era, Salisbury for me is my ultimate favorite track of all times ever Big smile It's gasmic orgasmic explosive eargasmic!!! Wink

Edited by Kati - March 06 2013 at 21:45
infocat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2013 at 21:28
According to the official IQ web site, former IQ bass player John Jowitt is filling in on bass for this tour.  Can't say for sure he was at this particular show, but...

--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.
aapatsos View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2013 at 17:45
Nice and neat venue, Cheese & Grain, in the middle of nowhere (judging by my night trip) was hosting Uriah Heep, which I had managed to miss when I was back in Greece and only a few minutes away from the venue then - so had to bite the bullet and get on a 2-hour drive to see them...

I arrived just in time to miss the second support act (shame on me, mis-timed my journey) so just on time for the break. Heep were introduced by a local rock radio producer (did not catch his name) similar to what a local band in a local pub would have been introduced (felt like that but no harm really).

Mick Box, Bernie Shaw, Phil Lanzon (from the 'old' team), Russell Gilbrook (no Lee Kerslake due to health problems since 2007) and a session bass player (Trevor Bolder apparently recently had an operation) which no-one introduced to us.

They kicked off quite dynamically with
Against the Odds (Sea of Light, 1995) and
Overload (Wake the Sleeper, 2008) love that track and they played it spot on

and then dived in time with
Traveller in Time (Demons & Wizards, 1972) love that track and great performance, just as the original
Sunrise (The Magicians Birthday, 1972)
All my Life (Demons & Wizards, 1972)

before returning to weaker contemporary tunes from the new album
I'm Ready, Nail on the Head and Into the Wild (Into the Wild, 2011) - which where the ones I enjoyed the least

however, in between we had the joy to listen to a lovely classic and a great one from their 90's discography
Stealin' (SF, 1973)
Between two Worlds (Sonic Origami, 1998)

Following the distant past/recent past mix, they then went on to please the audience with classics
Gypsy (Very Eavy Very Umble, 1970), nice heavy version
Look at Yourself (s/t 1971) July Morning - ok no Byron but a decent performance from Shaw approaching it with respect
and Lady in Black (Salisbury, 1971) - this sounded unfortunately quite poppy with the drum beat not helping...

encore

came back with Free and Easy (Innocent Victim, 1977) bad choice and the fact that Box invited the ladies from the front to come up to the stage to 'headbang to one of their heaviest songs' spoiled the whole night for me there, even if they went on to close with

Easy Livin' (D&W, 1972)

All and all, a good, enjoyable night, worth the trip but a mixed bag and not a great by any means performance with the following high and low points

high - Mick's humbleness and "magic" tricks on the guitar, a beast of a drummer in Gilbrook, Shaw's spirit
lows - the actual guitar soloing did not seem convincing, a really short encore

I would appreciate comments from those having watched Heep lately, thanks for reading.

Edited by aapatsos - March 06 2013 at 17:52
 Post Reply Post Reply