Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Live Performance Reviews
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Yes at The Moore Theatre, Seattle, March 3, 2013
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedYes at The Moore Theatre, Seattle, March 3, 2013

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Yes at The Moore Theatre, Seattle, March 3, 2013
    Posted: March 06 2013 at 23:46
I am 54 years old and this is the 6th time I've seen Yes perform live.  Last time I saw them was the 1991 reunion concert. 

IMHO, they are a shell of their former selves.  Jon Davison, Geoff Downes, Chris Squire, Steve Howe & Alan White are the current lineup.  They opened with the entire Close to the Edge album.  It was marred by gear and sound problems at the onset.  Davison was not mic'd well and Steve was having technical problems with his pedals.  The second album they played was Going for the One.  They played The Yes Album last and then Round About for an encore.

Overall, I enjoyed the show because I am a huge Yes fan.  It was nostalgic and anytime I am with my son we have a good time.  This was his 1st Yes concert and he enjoyed it.  He is 23.

To be brutally honest, the performance was rough around the edges.  At times they were disjointed and not together, time-wise.  The keyboards were weak and Steve was covering for that at times by over playing.  I can't blame him.  He did an exceptional job of it, totally professional, it just lacked the depth I'm use to hearing from Yes when it comes to keyboards.  Downes was reading the music off tablets and Going for the One, Parallels, and Awaken were missing the signature Wakeman runs that make that album special.  There were too many parts where the keys were just chords when there should have been runs.

Alan and Chris did fine, it just seemed notably slower and less energetic, and sometimes, a little sloppy.  Once mic'd, Jon Davison was outstanding!  The highlight of the concert for me was Jon and Chris harmonizing on Starship Trooper.  Excellent!  Awaken is one of my all-time favorite songs and Davison performed it well.

Overall, they pleased the audience and Chris vowed they would return.  

Sadly, that is probably the last time I will see them.Cry

Edited by Ethos - March 06 2013 at 23:52
"As sure as Eggs is Eggs."
Margaritaking View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2013 at 16:56
This is the first review of their current tour that didn't gush about them.  I saw them in Austin a couple weeks later.  It was my first Yes concert and I was completely disappointed.  I agree the sound was bad and I'm glad you mentioned they weren't in synch.  On Close to the Edge I could swear that Steve was playing behind the rest of the band, staring them down and refusing to change tempo.  I was hoping to see some awesome musicianship but was sadly disappointed.  My wife hated it.  We actually got up and left before they finished the Yes Album songs.  
rdtprog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Heavy, RPI, Symph, JR/F Canterbury Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2013 at 15:13
i won't go to another Yes concert anymore, i don't want see and hear the same songs play by substitute musicians. I will just keep listening to my old studio releases.
Music is the refuge of souls ulcerated by happiness.

Emile M. Cioran

humor4u1959 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2013 at 23:28
Finally someone gave an honest opinion of a Yes concert! So many fans are blinded, or made deaf, by their admiration for the artist.

Geoff Downes is no Wakeman or even a Tony Kaye! He's very limited, as is Alan White. When I saw them in 1978, I vowed to never see 'em again. But, I like their albums. It's just that they've never been a great live band, in my opinion. Worst sounding prog band I ever saw, by far!
 Post Reply Post Reply