Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWho, what and/or How got you into Prog?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Who, what and/or How got you into Prog?
    Posted: March 08 2013 at 01:06
I'm wondering how many of you got into Prog. Did someone get you into it, did you listen to it somewhere and you liked or what. I want to know how the lot of you got into Prog Big smile. Personally, I got into Prog Rock by listening to Rush on the radio where I used to work then digging deep into Rush's discography first then came everything else

Edited by ProgMetaller2112 - March 08 2013 at 01:08
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

― George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four

"Ignorance and Prejudice and Fear walk Hand in Hand"- Neil Peart

Eria Tarka View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2013 at 01:19
^Same here, I started with Rush, listened to them for about two years. When I heard that some of their influences were Yes, and Genesis I became intrigued. I always thought Yes was a Funk/Soul group, don't ask me whyEmbarrassed, and I knew new one Genesis song; "Land of Confusion". So one day I decided to listen to Roundabout, The Knife, and 21st Century Schizoid Man. I was absolutely blown away, so that's where prog really started for me. 

Also, I might mention that I was into a couple of bands that I didn't know were prog before I really discovered the genre. Bands such as Opeth, Mastodon, Dillinger Escape Plan, and Uriah Heep to name a few. 
ProgMetaller2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2013 at 01:33
Originally posted by bytor2112 bytor2112 wrote:

^Same here, I started with Rush, listened to them for about two years. When I heard that some of their influences were Yes, and Genesis I became intrigued. I always thought Yes was a Funk/Soul group, don't ask me whyEmbarrassed, and I knew new one Genesis song; "Land of Confusion". So one day I decided to listen to Roundabout, The Knife, and 21st Century Schizoid Man. I was absolutely blown away, so that's where prog really started for me. 

Also, I might mention that I was into a couple of bands that I didn't know were prog before I really discovered the genre. Bands such as Opeth, Mastodon, Dillinger Escape Plan, and Uriah Heep to name a few. 

LOL
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2013 at 09:18
I had been aware of prog for many years, but was not into it, until a friend lent me a couple of Nektar albums, and a couple of Triumvirat albums. The Nektars were good, but the Triumvirat record Illusions On A Double Dimple completely blew me away, and opened the prog floodgates! I then started going to used record stores and buying other prog masterpieces. In the mid to late 1980s, there was no internet or PA.

Edited by presdoug - March 08 2013 at 09:19
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2013 at 09:30
I was a fan of Moody Blues, Pink Floyd, and Camel at an early age (like, by age 10). I was also a fan of Genesis, but only knew the Collins-era stuff at first (Abacab was a big hit at the time).  My dad had some Yes albums so I was aware of that stuff, and he encouraged me to check out King Crimson's debut album (I remember he pulled it out at the record store, and said, "hey, I bet you'd like this").   I became more aware of "prog" as a genre when I entered college and started actively seeking out bands that sounded like the Moodies, Floyd, ,Camel, Crimso, etc.  The rest is history.

Edited by HolyMoly - March 08 2013 at 09:32
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2013 at 10:15
^ like that only about 12 years earlier. Approve

Was fan of The Move from early on, and then picked up on The Moody Blues, Pink Floyd and Kaleidoscope (UK); got into Van der Graaf Generator in my early teens; my love of electronic music began at that time too with bands like Tonto, White Noise and Tangerine Dream. From that core of bands I searched out other bands on the same record labels - Island, Charisma, Deram, Harvest, Virgin, Liberty etc.. At that time half the kids at school were into progressive music so it was easy to hear all manner of new and obscure bands and the music press (NME, Sounds and Melody Maker were full of it). Late night radio also played a part, with DJs like John Peel, Pete Drummond, Annie Nightingale, Kid Jensen and Bob Harris all playing Prog on their shows (later they'd all turn their backs on prog but in the early 60s it was what made them famous and popular).

What?
Earthmover View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2013 at 11:00
Well, I first got into metal, but I was such a noob even at being metalhead. What I essentially did was go to a list of top 100 metal songs I found on the Internet and listen to them one by one. Then I thought to myself that I should go back and listen to some classic rock bands such as Floyd, Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple... A wild thought crossed my mind: why should I listen to what people consider to be their best songs? I should listen to them all. So, I called my "friend" who had the entire Pink Floyd discography and he gave it to me. Suddenly, another wild thought: maybe it's better to listen to the whole album in one sitting instead of listening to separate tracks. So, I went chronologically from the Piper to Wish You Were Here and boy was I amazed. I read on Wikipedia that Floyd is considered to be progressive rock, and researched to find about other prog rock bands. Eventually I got into Rush (2112) which I loved, but my true prog spirit was lit on fire when I first heard 21st Century Schizoid Man, and that was about 1.2 years ago (it's not bad considering I started seriously listening to music 1.5 years ago and there was no one really to show me any prog). Since then I cannot seem to stop.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2013 at 11:19
I bumped my head really hard on a lamp post and suddenly understood the entire Residents catalogue.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Ajay View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2013 at 11:20
I first became interested in prog when Australian TV broadcast Rick Wakeman's Journey to the Centre of the Earth concert from the Myer Music Bowl, Melbourne. Soon after, Australia's national public broadcaster ABC Television got into the habit of playing the video clip for the song A Trick Of The Tail by Genesis as filler.

Then I was reading prog references: at the front of every Michael Moorcock paperback I borrowed from the local library, there was a blurb about Moorcock's work with Hawkwind; and as I turned from his sword-and-sorcery novels to the Cornelius quartet, the Hawkwind references began to appear in the narrative as well.

The point of no return was late November 1978. My brother and I came home from the cinema (we saw Kiss in Attack of the Phantoms) to find my eldest sister home from Sydney University with a copy of Tubular Bells. Goodbye, hope of a normal life.
Ady Cardiac View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2013 at 11:26
i was going through me dads record collection when i was 8.....i used to love playing stuff out of his collection on these big chunky headphones he had......he was mainly into bowie and status quo and the who....then one day i saw this album cover i thought was cool.....so bunged it on.....turned out it was "selling england by the pound".....fell in love with it.....then with pocket money started buying tapes by peter gabriel and genesis till i was about 12.....then branched out to rush.......then it just sprialled from there really.....no one at school could work out my tastes in music.
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2013 at 15:47
My uncle gave me KC's Discipline, GG's Interview, Genesis' The Lamb..., FZ's One Size Fits All, and Spock's Beard's The Light to listen to. It was a short jump to me finding the rabbit hole for myself.
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
ProgMetaller2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2013 at 16:27
Originally posted by Ady Cardiac Ady Cardiac wrote:

i was going through me dads record collection when i was 8.....i used to love playing stuff out of his collection on these big chunky headphones he had......he was mainly into bowie and status quo and the who....then one day i saw this album cover i thought was cool.....so bunged it on.....turned out it was "selling england by the pound".....fell in love with it.....then with pocket money started buying tapes by peter gabriel and genesis till i was about 12.....then branched out to rush.......then it just sprialled from there really.....no one at school could work out my tastes in music.

LOL
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2013 at 20:57
My first exposure was at 6th Form College where a friend gave me a mixed tape which included Giant Hogweed, The Knife, Awaken and Close To The Edge.

About three years later in College I shared a house with a guy who was heavily into Gong, Hawkwind & The Groundhogs.

The pretty much got me exploring, wasn't long until I found Larks Tongues In Aspic and that was pretty much that.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
smartpatrol View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2013 at 20:59
My folks play(ed) Rush and Yes all the time growing up. Once I got on the internet I started checking out bands like them and that shot further out into many different musical genres, prog being one of the first.
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2013 at 21:25
Hmmm...back when I started really listening to music in the early 70s, there was no such thing as prog, per se. Tull, King Crimson, ELP, Floyd, Yes, Genesis, etc. where just damn good rock bands that didn't stick to four chords and screamed bloody loud. I wasn't even aware of the term "progressive rock" until much later. By then, I merely shrugged and said, "Oh, so that's what I've been listening to all this time."

Edited by The Dark Elf - March 08 2013 at 21:27
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
zeqexes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2013 at 21:46
I got into prog through my dad's collection of Dream Theater albums
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2013 at 22:02
Originally posted by zeqexes zeqexes wrote:

I got into prog through my dad's collection of Dream Theater albums
Statements like this make me feel really really old.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
DisgruntledPorcupine View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2013 at 22:13
I was an obnoxious metalhead, found Dream Theater, then became an obnoxious proghead. 
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2013 at 11:02
I was playing Rock band, liked the Tom Sawyer song - looked into some band that made it. 
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
Canterzeuhl View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2013 at 13:11
Saw that documentary on TV 'Prog Rock Britannia: An Observation in Three Movements' and that put the word to the type of music I enjoyed.
I'd been listening to Zappa, Focus and Supertramp since I was about 10 but I watched this documentary with a pad of paper noting down all the bands and took to the Interweb afterwards.

I've been losing money ever since.
 Post Reply Post Reply