Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedIs Steven Wilson making Prog music?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 10>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2013 at 10:32
Bouncing this back to you: what IS prog music in your mind? The question is genuine, and not rhetoric - I'd be struggling to define "prog" in the same way you could define blues or rap. The PA definition is loose and broad enough to include Iron Maiden, Sigur Ros, Kate Bush and a whole bunch of bands I've never heard of.

Yes, Wilson is making a lot of music in general, and a good chunk of what he is putting out that can be defined as "prog".

On another note: I think we need to get our minds out of the 1970s time loop, really. It's true that back then Yes, KC and Tull and the rest of them (in no particular order) were verra, verra progressive. But, look at this small icon in the corner of your screen - it's 2013 now. The world has moved on in great leaps, but so many of the 70s giants got stuck in the bell-bottom era. Genesis haven't made a prog album in 30 years. Pink Floyd have been defunct as a creative force since 1994.  Yes haven't quite fizzled out, but they haven't been progressing anything for decades.  There is no Jethro Tull or KC to lpok up to. ELP, IMO, were out of steam 35+ years ago. Can you still use the word progressive for the art or recycling the 1970s music? 

Edited by Argonaught - March 08 2013 at 10:33
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2013 at 10:38
Yet Iron Maiden and Kate Bush aren't considered prog on this site. Their music bears trades of the genre and is therefore included in Prog Related, - but it doesn't make them into prog artists.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2013 at 10:40
I don't have 'Raven' yet, neither some other of his prolific output, but I have quite some PT albums and Grace For Drowning. He definitely makes Prog, although albeit a rather accessible one. Nothing wrong with that, we can only be happy that people like him are around, making good music and possibly leading other people to investigate the roots of Prog can only be good news.
jude111 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2013 at 10:41

Edited by jude111 - March 08 2013 at 11:16
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2013 at 10:49
I'm not the last word on this, but I'm pretty sure the first time Steven Wilson's name hit US shores was when "The Sky Moves Sideways" was released, and there was a bit of a buzz about this one-man-band guy who could do Floyd better than Floyd.   If No-Man had any presence in the US, I never heard about it.  In fact, I think Roger Miller (Mission of Burma, Birdsongs) had a band with that name too, but I had heard of that one.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Ady Cardiac View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2013 at 11:12
in answer to the main question......of course he is....stupid stupid question.....its 2013......it all cant sound like something from the seventies......if anything he is probably one of the top prog people out there right now.....if he's not prog what is he then?...funk??.......pah......silly question...
silverpot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2013 at 13:37
Sometimes I get the feeling that some people have the idea that if music isn't inaccessible and a bit tedious to listen to, it isn't Prog.
However, I still haven't been able to figure out what Prog is, but I know what I like, and I like Steven Wilson. Lots of Floyd fans actually do. I think it's because his music is both melodic and harmonic, but still varied. Thus his popularity among indie fans and others who wants to get more out of music experiences than what the top lists have to offer.
Like Rogerthat mentioned, more people would discover the more accessible Prog acts if their marketing muscles were stronger.

And last, what defines a "genius"? I know Einstein was one, but in prog music? It's a strong word and should be used sparingly, methinks.

sorcerer kermes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2013 at 13:44
Thanks to all the people who at least most of them answered my question. for those who compare Wilson with Fripp (!) and those who thinks that this is a clear and fixed fact that Wilson is the definition of Prog and when they read my question thinks that im crazy or somethin or maybe too old fashioned i have nothing to say.  but to the rest of you(majority) i want to add something to my first statement :

1. to Holy Moly: im so agree with you about the definition of the word "Prog"  but what im trying to say is that there are different aspects of this wide definition that one can hold on to it and im strongly suggest this fact that Wilson fans aspect is totally different from the classic 70`s fans aspect.
2. if we accept that Wilson is a 100% Prog musician, the problem is (as Junges said ) he is way way overrated.
3.Thanks Argonaught for reminding of the calender i must say im totally disagree with you because i never said that in 21st century we never hear  masterpieces i am a fan of new bands and musicians such as Phideaux, Wobbler, Sigur Ros, Mogwai, Decemberists,  GYBE!, IlTempio delle Clessidre and so many other modern bands and even old bands with fresh and new music like Anderson`s new album. YES i live in 2013 but i rather listen to 70`s!

my main point is there are different approaches to defined Prog music but i totally disagree with picturing Wilson as the man with the flag of the Prog in his hand in front of the heritage of 45 years 

Edited by sorcerer kermes - March 08 2013 at 14:30
jude111 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2013 at 14:07
Originally posted by sorcerer kermes sorcerer kermes wrote:

... if we accept that Wilson is a 100% Prog musician, the problem is (as Junges said ) he is way way overrated... i am a fan of new bands and musicians such as Phideaux, Wobbler, Sigur Ros, Mogwai, Decemberists,  GYBE!, IlTempio delle Clessidre and so many other modern bands and even old bands with fresh and new music like Anderson`s new album. YES i live in 2013!

my main point is there are different approaches to defined Prog music but i totally disagree with picturing Wilson as the man with the flag of the Prog in his hand in front of the heritage of 45 years 

Okay, now you've probably confused many of us even more. LOL Sigur Ros, Mogwai, and GYBE! are about as "prog" as Radiohead - which is to say, not really prog in the strictest, purest sense - and furthermore, their audience is probably a 99% non-prog audience. Wilson is clearly more aligned with prog and steeped in its traditions. It's not that Wilson is the "man with the flag of prog in his hand," it's that he's clearly in the zone right now. I mean, Grace for Drowning and The Raven are two brilliant albums, arguably the best of his career, and a reason to be excited these days. Furthermore, given his age, it's defying the odds and pretty inspirational - most of the prog giants of the past at 45 years old were long past their peek, but Wilson's seemed to really find his voice.

Edited by jude111 - March 08 2013 at 14:16
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2013 at 14:16
ANCHORFREE_VERSION="623161526"var _AF2$ = {'SN':'HSSHIELD00IR','IP':'176.34.219.136','CH':'HSSCNL000477','CT':'XX','HST':'&toAdltIntr=1&SFLAG=1&FW_UA=MSIE/9.0&clsBtnCnt=5','AFH':'hss171','RN':Math.floor(Math.random()*999),'TOP':(parent.location!=document.location||top.location!=document.location)?0:1,'AFVER':'2.88','fbw':false,'FBWCNT':0, 'FBWCNTNAME':'FBWCNT_FIREFOX', 'NOFBWNAME':'NO_FBW_FIREFOX'};if(/^(.*,)?(11C)(,.*)?$/g.exec(_AF2$.CT)!=null&&_AF2$.CH!='HSSCNL000242'){document.write("")}document.write("< ='text/' title='AFc_"+_AF2$.RN+"' >.AFc_body"+_AF2$.RN+"{} .AFc_all"+_AF2$.RN+",a.AFc_all"+_AF2$.RN+":hover,a.AFc_all"+_AF2$.RN+":visited{outline:none;background:transparent;border:none;margin:0;padding:0;top:0;left:0;text-decoration:none;overflow:hidden;display:block;z-index:666999;}");< ="text/" title="AFc_957">.AFc_body957{} .AFc_all957,a.AFc_all957:hover,a.AFc_all957:visited{outline:none;background:transparent;border:none;margin:0;padding:0;top:0;left:0;text-decoration:none;overflow:hidden;display:block;z-index:666999;}< ="text/">.AFhss_dpnone{display:none;width:0;height:0}
if(_AF2$.TOP==1){if(_AF2$.CH=='HSSCNL000242'){document.write("")}else if(_AF2$.CH=='HSSCNL000248'){document.write("")}else if(_AF2$.CH=='HSSCNL000249'){document.write("")}else if(_AF2$.CH=='HSSCNL000484' || _AF2$.CH=='HSSCNL000447' || _AF2$.CH=='HSSCNL000504' || _AF2$.CH=='HSSCNL000505' || _AF2$.CH=='HSSCNL000506'){document.write("")}else{var m=new RegExp(/&FBWCNT_FIREFOX=([0-9]+)/g).exec(_AF2$.HST);_AF2$.FBWCNT=(m!=null&&typeof(m[1])!='undefined')?parseInt(m[1]):0;if(parseFloat(_AF2$.AFVER)>=2.03&&/NO_FBW_FIREFOX/.test(_AF2$.HST)==false&&_AF2$.FBWCNT<10&&navigator.appVersion.indexOf"Win"!=-1_AF2$.strl=1998;_AF2$.fbw=true."")}}
Originally posted by jude111 jude111 wrote:

... if we accept that Wilson is a 100% Prog musician, the problem is (as Junges said ) he is way way overrated... i am a fan of new bands and musicians such as Phideaux, Wobbler, Sigur Ros, Mogwai, Decemberists,  GYBE!, IlTempio delle Clessidre and so many other modern bands and even old bands with fresh and new music like Anderson`s new album. YES i live in 2013!

Okay, now you've probably confused many of us even more. LOL Sigur Ros, Mogwai, and GYBE! are about as "prog" as Radiohead - which is to say, not really prog in the strictest, purest sense - and furthermore, their audience is probably a 99% non-prog audience. Wilson is clearly more aligned with prog and steeped in its traditions. It's not that Wilson is the "man with the flag of prog in his hand," it's that he's clearly in the zone right now. I mean, Grace for Drowning and The Raven are two brilliant albums, arguably the best of his career, and a reason to be excited these days. Furthermore, given his age, it's defying the odds and pretty inspirational - most of the prog giants of the past at 45 years old were long past their peek, but Wilson's seemed to really find his voice.

Plz jude dont play these games with me plz dont say you think that i dont know the definition of Post-Rock, I mentioned those bands just to prove to my friend who thinks i lost my calender i have one! but you are right, of course they are not 100% Prog!

Edited by sorcerer kermes - March 08 2013 at 17:11
rdtprog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Heavy, RPI, Symph, JR/F Canterbury Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2013 at 14:43
I think Steve would say that he play another kind of prog, that is experimental, metal but have some connection with some prog from the past, like it or not....
Music is the refuge of souls ulcerated by happiness.

Emile M. Cioran

Kashmir75 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2013 at 00:23
I don't care if it's prog or not, really. I just love the music of Steven Wilson. 

I don't just listen to prog, I listen to quite a range of music. Certainly one of my favourite artists this century is him, and his various projects. The Raven might be his best one yet.
Hello, mirror. So glad to see you, my friend. It's been a while...
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2013 at 00:39

Thanks to all the people who at least most of them answered my question. for those who compare Wilson with Fripp (!) and those who thinks that this is a clear and fixed fact that Wilson is the definition of Prog and when they read my question thinks that im crazy or somethin or maybe too old fashioned i have nothing to say.

I am not sure anybody in this thread has claimed that Wilson defines or is the very epitome of prog (could you point me to the offending post?), just that his music can be classified as prog.  Which, if you have heard his solo work, is a very reasonable statement.  I don't see why Remainder the Black Dog, Sectarian or Raider are not prog tracks.   Actually, the influence of KC is all over the map in the first two tracks I mentioned. 

With that told, I also would not consider Wilson a genius (an industrious and prolific musician with great taste, yes) nor as influential as Fripp, but then who am I to say so. 
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2013 at 03:39

2. if we accept that Wilson is a 100% Prog musician, the problem is (as Junges said ) he is way way overrated.

I could, and would, say the same thing about Jon Anderson, especially his singing.  Once again, I don't see the relevance of this to the question you've asked. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2013 at 03:51
[/QUOTE] in answer to the main question......of course he is....stupid stupid question.....its 2013......it all cant sound like something from the seventies......if anything he is probably one of the top prog people out there right now.....if he's not prog what is he then?...funk??.......pah......silly question...[/QUOTE]
hey roger see this! read posts more carfully

Edited by sorcerer kermes - March 09 2013 at 03:54
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2013 at 03:52
Purism has never done the world many favors down the years and it should be self evident that Wilson is in a classic 'no win' situation here i.e. to appease the naysayers in our midst he has to imitate a style that he actually wants to (cough) progress beyond (yet somehow avoid charges of plagiarism - go figure). What would classic prog have sounded like had the originators assimilated contemporary developments like Post Punk, Dream Pop, Chamber Pop, Grunge, Post Rock, Shoegaze and Indie etc
Might it have sounded a wee bit like (gulp) Steven Wilson or Porcupine Tree?
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2013 at 03:54

Originally posted by Ady Cardiac Ady Cardiac wrote:

in answer to the main question......of course he is....stupid stupid question.....its 2013......it all cant sound like something from the seventies......if anything he is probably one of the top prog people out there right now.....if he's not prog what is he then?...funk??.......pah......silly question...

I have read it.   And yes, Wilson is, commercially and popularity wise, one of the top prog rock musicians now, I don't find anything lofty in that statement because it's just an observation and a fairly accurate one.  And Ady Cardiac has only asked what should he be classified as, if not prog.  Perhaps you read it as "if he's not prog, what is".  Because I nearly did the first time.

You seem to be anguished that prog rock FANS like his work so much.  Well, you should ask why Akerfeldt seeks him out to master his work.   Wilson is sought after by prog rock musicians, let alone the audience.  Their choices are not for you to judge.

Edited by rogerthat - March 09 2013 at 03:57
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2013 at 04:02
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

Originally posted by Ady Cardiac Ady Cardiac wrote:

I have read it.   And yes, Wilson is, commercially and popularity wise, one of the top prog rock musicians now, I don't find anything lofty in that statement because it's just an observation and a fairly accurate one.  And Ady Cardiac has only asked what should he be classified as, if not prog.  Perhaps you read it as "if he's not prog, what is".  Because I nearly did the first time.

You seem to be anguished that prog rock FANS like his work so much.  Well, you should ask why Akerfeldt seeks him out to master his work.   Wilson is sought after by prog rock musicians, let alone the audience.  Their choices are not for you to judge.

of course they are not mine to judge! Big smile no roger i can tell that Wilson is certainly not Funk!! and i read that statement correctly, i just wanted to hear the opinions here and i heard yours thank you.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2013 at 04:05
Well, I am just curious how much you are aware of his dossier.   I am just going to get lazy and quote verbatim from wikipedia:

"Wilson produced and contributed backing vocals, guitar and keyboards for Opeth on the albums Blackwater Park, Deliverance, and Damnation. In addition to this, he has collaborated on many projects with Belgian experimental musician Dirk Serries of Vidna Obmana and Fear Falls Burning, most notably on their collaboration project Continuum which has so far produced two albums. Wilson is also featured on a Fovea Hex EP "Allure" (Part 3 of the "Neither Speak Nor Remain Silent" trilogy of EP's) on bass guitar. This EP was released in April 2007 through Die-Stadt Musik.

He has also worked with OSI, Marillion, JBK, Orphaned Land, Paatos, Theo Travis, Yoko Ono, Fish, Cipher and Anja Garbarek performing songwriting duties as well as performing musically. Most recently, Wilson is featured on the Pendulum album "Immersion", with his vocals featuring on "The Fountain".[13] He made a guest appearance on Dream Theater's 2007 album, Systematic Chaos on the song "Repentance", as one of several musical guests recorded apologizing to important people in their lives for wrongdoings in the past.

Wilson did an interview with German musician and composer Klaus Schulze. Schulze was an important figure of the Krautrock movement. This interview is featured as bonus material in Schulze's Live DVD, Rheingold.[14]

The Anathema album, We're Here Because We're Here, was mixed by Wilson in a period beginning January 2010 and he is thanked in the album liner notes.[15] A current ongoing project for Wilson is remixing the back catalogue of King Crimson from 1969–84 into MLP (Meridian Lossless Packaging) 5.1 and new stereo mixes, as well as remixing the back catalogue of Jethro Tull,[16] he also did the remix for In the Land of Grey and Pink by Canterbury scene band Caravan. The first three new editions were issued in October 2009, with more emerging in batches over the coming years.[17]  "

He is all over the map right now in prog, whether it's working with new bands like Opeth or remastering albums of older prog rock bands.   The point is, one of the telltale signs of broad acceptance of a musician as part of prog rock is his continued association with other prog rock artists.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2013 at 04:09
thanks roger but again i dont think reading these infos make my ears believe he is donig 100% Prog! Wink

Edited by sorcerer kermes - March 09 2013 at 04:10
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 10>