Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedIs Steven Wilson making Prog music?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 10>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2013 at 04:14
Originally posted by sorcerer kermes sorcerer kermes wrote:

thanks roger but again i dont think reading these infos make my ears believe he is donig 100% Prog! Wink

You just don't get it do you? (not even the founding fathers ELP, Yes or Genesis were 100% Prog)
There's nothing more intolerable than a nostalgia for something that never happened in the first placeWink
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2013 at 04:16
Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

thanks roger but again i dont think reading these infos make my ears believe he is donig 100% Prog! Wink

You just don't get it do you? (not even the founding fathers ELP, Yes or Genesis were 100% Prog)
There's nothing more intolerable than a nostalgia for something that never happened in the first placeWink

As I  said earlier Grsce For Drowning is definitely Prog. I don't deal with percentages. Other than vague statements like "slightly Proggy" or  some  such.

Edited by Snow Dog - March 09 2013 at 04:17
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2013 at 04:19

An ideal moment to play this song:

Edited by rogerthat - March 09 2013 at 04:19
sorcerer kermes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2013 at 04:24

ow... he hates ELP ! www.progrockmag.com/news/steven-wilson-wont-work-on-elp-again/
and of course the founding members you mentioned are 120% prog! wat r u talkin about pal?!!

Edited by sorcerer kermes - March 09 2013 at 04:26
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2013 at 04:36

ow... he hates ELP ! www.progrockmag.com/news/steven-wilson-wont-work-on-elp-again/
and of course the founding members you mentioned are 120% prog! wat r u talkin about pal?!!

I  see now that you don't deal in any subtlety. It doesn't say  that he hates them. There are many bands I am  not as drawn to as others,  doesn't mean I hate them. And  I only have to listen to them.
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2013 at 04:40

What I mean is that Jeremy Bender, Lucky Man, Benny the Bouncer, More Fool Me, I Know What I Like, Counting Out Time are all examples of traditional popular music forms that ain't considered remotely 'prog'. I adore all the
aforementioned songs hugely but I don't reject anything just because it ain't 13/16 meter with tron, nested septuplets and inspired by cosmiche hippy w.a.n.k literature. The black and white world you inhabit has no place here i.e. tell me who doesn't love what can never come back (Robert Smith of the irreparably NON Prog group the Cure)
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2013 at 04:48

He doesn't say he hates them. We all can't like everything. I'll listen to ELP and enjoy it, but they don't connect with me like say VdgG or Floyd do. More power to him for not taking production jobs just for the money. (How Prog is that?!!!)

and of course the founding members you mentioned are 120% prog! w[h]at [a]r[e] [yo]u talkin[g] about pal?!!
Really? Are Emerson's Honky-tonk piano pieces Prog? Are Lake's folk songs Prog? Is From Genesis To Revelation 100% Prog? Is everything Genesis did after The There Were Three 100% Prog? Are Yes's first two albums 100% Prog? Are Wonderous Stories or Don't Kill The Whale 100% Prog?

/edit: damn ninja'd by Ian and Iain

Edited by Dean - March 09 2013 at 04:50
What?
Argonaught View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2013 at 05:24

On this count, I actually agree with Wilson. Wilson is not morally or legally obliged to love any of the given bands - even those that are highly rated as "prog" by  the PA forum people. He cannot be forced to work on something that doesn't engage or inspire him.

Edited by Argonaught - March 09 2013 at 05:35
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2013 at 05:32

What I mean is that Jeremy Bender, Lucky Man, Benny the Bouncer, More Fool Me, I Know What I Like, Counting Out Time are all examples of traditional popular music forms that ain't considered remotely 'prog'. I adore all the
aforementioned songs hugely but I don't reject anything just because it ain't 13/16 meter with tron, nested septuplets and inspired by cosmiche hippy w.a.n.k literature. The black and white world you inhabit has no place here i.e. tell me who doesn't love what can never come back (Robert Smith of the irreparably NON Prog group the Cure)

i think we all love non prog music there is no doubt, but the topic here is something else my friend .
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2013 at 05:38
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

He doesn't say he hates them. We all can't like everything. I'll listen to ELP and enjoy it, but they don't connect with me like say VdgG or Floyd do. More power to him for not taking production jobs just for the money. (How Prog is that?!!!)

and of course the founding members you mentioned are 120% prog! w[h]at [a]r[e] [yo]u talkin[g] about pal?!!
Really? Are Emerson's Honky-tonk piano pieces Prog? Are Lake's folk songs Prog? Is From Genesis To Revelation 100% Prog? Is everything Genesis did after The There Were Three 100% Prog? Are Yes's first two albums 100% Prog? Are Wonderous Stories or Don't Kill The Whale 100% Prog?

/edit: damn ninja'd by Ian and Iain

dear dean they are Prog bands ( i cant believe it should be discussed here!) with  a bunch of non prog songs mostly in the first albums when they were struggling to give birth to Prog, why you didnt mention Jethro Tull? Anderson himself says that he did just two albums in Prog!
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2013 at 05:51

i think we all love non prog music there is no doubt, but the topic here is something else my friend .

Yep, a fictitious standard you measure contemporary music against which has no correlation in the real world inhabited by the vast majority who frequent this site

Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2013 at 06:25

dear dean they are Prog bands ( i cant believe it should be discussed here!) with  a bunch of non prog songs mostly in the first albums when they were struggling to give birth to Prog, why you didnt mention Jethro Tull? Anderson himself says that he did just two albums in Prog!
I could have listed a myriad of 70s Prog bands and pointed out many many songs that were not prog just to show that they were not "120% Prog", since that was the point you were making was it not? Those founding fathers of Prog were "120% Prog", when in reality none of them were in a purest numerical value. No one is saying those bands are not Prog bands, read posts more carfully was the advice you gave out before and it is good advice, but it also requires that you understand the posts.

What?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2013 at 07:25
maybe if we were writing in farsi it was much easier for me but i bet you dont know even one word in farsi and i have to write in your language , so maybe sometimes i misunderstand but i`ll try to catch up, in this particular point i give you assurance that i totally understood you... "Is everything Genesis did after The There Were Three 100% Prog?" i think we all know Genesis before and after Gabriel are two different subjects and i find you easy to understand . now i`ve got the point that you think Wilson is doing Prog so why bothering keep on saying it? i just asked a question and you answered, thanks.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2013 at 07:45

but i bet you dont know even one word in farsi 

I don't know what your wager was, but you might have just lost a bet: I know at least three words: Bazaar (market), Shah (king), Kaftan (long overcoat). Also, many geographical names in Asia, especially those ending with -stan, are believed to have originated back in the Persian Empire times.  

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2013 at 08:24
 nice one argo!Big smile
by the way Kaftan? we dont have such thing! maybe from another asian language!
we have kaffan : shroud کفن

and originally it is pronounced Ostaan : province

Edited by sorcerer kermes - March 09 2013 at 08:27
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2013 at 10:30

I would like to give my opinion on your posts but that avatar of yours always gets me distracted Confused 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2013 at 10:51
Originally posted by Gerinski Gerinski wrote:

I would like to give my opinion on your posts but that avatar of yours always gets me distracted Confused 

I thought you said earlier you were inundated by the mighty swelling tide of POS (Persons of the Opposite Sex) in uni or something?
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2013 at 12:04

maybe if we were writing in farsi it was much easier for me but i bet you dont know even one word in farsi and i have to write in your language , so maybe sometimes i misunderstand but i`ll try to catch up, in this particular point i give you assurance that i totally understood you... "Is everything Genesis did after The There Were Three 100% Prog?" i think we all know Genesis before and after Gabriel are two different subjects and i find you easy to understand . now i`ve got the point that you think Wilson is doing Prog so why bothering keep on saying it? i just asked a question and you answered, thanks.
I wasn't having a go at your understanding of a second language, your use of which is very good and shows an excellent level of comprehension, but your understanding of the points being made, which is an entirely different thing, people make errors in understanding the written word even in their first language.

This is a discussion forum not a question and answer session, if you cannot handle discussion then don't raise questions.

As Argonaut pointed out many English words are of Iranian origin, such as scarlet, orange, lemon and peach, as well as sandal, taffeta, seersucker, caravan, balcony, bazaar and magic. It's a wonderful poetic language and we are grateful for enrichment it has provided our hybrid language.
What?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2013 at 12:28
Originally posted by Gerinski Gerinski wrote:

LOL Big smile Bielo Dugme`s 1975 album, great music great cover great concept
Big smile
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2013 at 13:34
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

I wasn't having a go at your understanding of a second language, your use of which is very good and shows an excellent level of comprehension, but your understanding of the points being made, which is an entirely different thing, people make errors in understanding the written word even in their first language.

This is a discussion forum not a question and answer session, if you cannot handle discussion then don't raise questions.

As Argonaut pointed out many English words are of Iranian origin, such as scarlet, orange, lemon and peach, as well as sandal, taffeta, seersucker, caravan, balcony, bazaar and magic. It's a wonderful poetic language and we are grateful for enrichment it has provided our hybrid language.

there`s always differences in opinions dear dean, and you were right at some points but i felt that your approach to this discussion somehow was not very friendly and i just couldn`t discuss with you, anyway i had no bad intentions.

thanks for the good things you said about Iran , you may know that nowruz celebration is near and here`s a present for you hope you like it:

Edited by sorcerer kermes - March 09 2013 at 13:42
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 10>