FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhen prog was dangerous

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: When prog was dangerous
    Posted: March 08 2013 at 12:33
The evening I came home from school with a copy of Jethro Tull's Aqualung tucked underneath my arm, I wrote to my sister at her university to tell her I'd bought it and what a great album it was. Her reply: "Don't let Mum catch you with it!"

I think my sister was referring to the album's bitter take on religion. Or perhaps of Aqualung "eyeing little girls with bad intent."

What prog have you enjoyed which is mad, bad, and dangerous to own?
The Doctor View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2013 at 12:43
Originally posted by Ajay Ajay wrote:

The evening I came home from school with a copy of Jethro Tull's Aqualung tucked underneath my arm, I wrote to my sister at her university to tell her I'd bought it and what a great album it was. Her reply: "Don't let Mum catch you with it!"

I think my sister was referring to the album's bitter take on religion. Or perhaps of Aqualung "eyeing little girls with bad intent."

What prog have you enjoyed which is mad, bad, and dangerous to own?

I once almost killed somebody with my vinyl copy of Nursery Cryme when I was younger.  Tongue

My parents never really were that strict about what I listened to.  My mom did hate Pink Floyd though, my older brother was a huge fan, and referred to Roger Waters as "an oversexed, overdrugged manchild with mommy issues".  LOL  Still, they didn't forbid me from listening to them or just about anything else I wanted.  Had I grown up nearer to the present, they might have taken issue with say gangsta rap or death metal or something, but I don't think they thought of prog as "dangerous" music for the most part. 
I can understand your anger at me, but what did the horse I rode in on ever do to you?
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2013 at 13:25
I'd say some of the more extremely noisy avant garde stuff I have is the closest I come to having prog music that would offend anybody. Maybe some of Yoko Ono's stuff.  Not on a morality basis, of course, but I can imagine someone getting angry if I subjected certain Faust or Yoko songs to them.   It's a strange question actually, because for quite a long time now, my progressive music listening has been a very solitary affair, so there's no one to offend.  I have a family now, but if they're in the room, I'll play something more easily digestible for them.  No need to torture their ear drums.   Although sometimes I'll play Yoko Ono in the car to drown out my daughter if she's being too whiny and ornery.  the purpose is twofold:  a) to drown her out, b) to show her what she sounds like.

Edited by HolyMoly - March 08 2013 at 13:26
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
smartpatrol View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2013 at 13:28
Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

I'd say some of the more extremely noisy avant garde stuff I have is the closest I come to having prog music that would offend anybody. Maybe some of Yoko Ono's stuff.  Not on a morality basis, of course, but I can imagine someone getting angry if I subjected certain Faust or Yoko songs to them.   It's a strange question actually, because for quite a long time now, my progressive music listening has been a very solitary affair, so there's no one to offend.  I have a family now, but if they're in the room, I'll play something more easily digestible for them.  No need to torture their ear drums.   Although sometimes I'll play Yoko Ono in the car to drown out my daughter if she's being too whiny and ornery.  the purpose is twofold:  a) to drown her out, b) to show her what she sounds like.

LOL
If I ever have kids, I'll make sure they grow up with plenty of Varese, DNA, and Merzbow
ole-the-first View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2013 at 13:29
Once I was banned for dedicating to someone this song:

This night wounds time.
CPicard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2013 at 13:40
Frankly, I don't see which prog-rock albums in my collection have raised controversies and scandals, except Magma and the various rumors about their leader Christian Vander. But, since this band was able to perform on TV, I'm not sure Magma was seen as dangerous by everyone.

But I also have some records by Plastic People of the Universe, DG 307 and Uz Jsme Doma, three bands from Czechoslovakia, at a time when the Communist regime maintained a harsh censorship against rock music (if I'm not wrong, some guys from the PPU were even sent to jail!)
NotAProghead View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2013 at 13:51
I don't think prog was too dangerous. But as singers-songwriters and good rock music in general (when it became mature enough to talk about serious things) it has rebellion spirit and nonconformism - things always dangerous to the powers that be.
Who are you and who am I to say we know the reason why... (D. Gilmour)
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2013 at 15:51
Someone once asked for me to turn down the volume on an Anekdoten CD that I was playing. I found it odd, as that is pretty tame stuff compared to other things in my collection.
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Prog Sothoth View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2013 at 21:02
Oddly enough, it wasn't the heavier stuff that bothered my mum so much, she was a big fan of early Santana and had no issues with 70's prog. It was the industrial stuff I listened to that unnerved her, particularly Skinny Puppy. I remember playing Mind: The Perpetual Intercourse in the car and she thought it was the voice of "the devil".Smile

As for my two toddlers, they definitely have issues with Opeth when, as the older one refers to as "Monster Mike", he growls. Heritage is fine, but look out when I put on Blackwater Park...it's almost become my 'punishment album', although I really don't wish to traumatize my kids through music. It freaks them out, which I suppose isn't a surprise since their favorite group is Jpop trio Perfume.
Ajay View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2013 at 02:37
Originally posted by The Doctor The Doctor wrote:

I once almost killed somebody with my vinyl copy of Nursery Cryme when I was younger.  Tongue

I wouldn't mind hearing the rest of that story.
 Post Reply Post Reply