Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSound Horizon (Japan, Symph or Crossover)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Avant/Cross/Neo/Post Teams

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sound Horizon (Japan, Symph or Crossover)
    Posted: March 09 2013 at 19:32
Not sure whether they've been suggested here already, but we Japanese consider they can be fit for here as a symphonic prog (in the same vein of Teru's Symphonia or more "theatrical" than TS).

Their 4th album "Elysion - Illusive Paradise Suite" (full album ... ignore Chinese characters appearing on the clip)
Quote SOUND HORIZON got started as a MIDI-based rock project formed by REVO, the leader / founder in late 1990s. Their soundscape has got more and more innovative and theatrical as albums have released, and their progressiveness reached the peak just when the 4th album "Elysion - Illusive Paradise Suite" released.
Thoughts?

Edited by DamoXt7942 - March 09 2013 at 19:35
DamoXt7942 View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2013 at 08:07
Originally posted by Ivan_Melgar_M Ivan_Melgar_M wrote:

Sorry Damox

The vocal parts and several sections are too POP anime oriented

Not even Prog Related IMO

They have too much material and for what I read about them they blend Pop, Rock, Metal, Folk, Avant Garde, Pop Opera and Neoclassical Anime Music plus a lot of music for games and Cosplay shows

This is too much for us IMO
Not Symphonic stuff my friend, and no connection with the fantastic Teru's Symphonia IMHO

Iván
Will toss them to Crossover.
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2013 at 10:20
And I must say how much I enjoyed "Elysion - Illusive Paradise Suite" - even though I don't understand Japanese. LOL
Musically this touches many sub genres - including symphonic in places, I feel. The anime influences and fantasy aspect to the storylines may not be to everyone's taste, but despite the wide variety of musical styles employed during the course of these compositions, the whole 'piece' seems to work very well, and I find this to be a surprisingly coherent album overall.

Taken into Crossover with great pleasure, and sure-fire 'yes' from me: http://progfreak.com/Sound-Horizon-155805.html?path=pa/recent Thumbs Up
b_olariu View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2013 at 12:26
Originally posted by DamoXt7942 DamoXt7942 wrote:

Sorry Damox

They have too much material and for what I read about them they blend Pop, Rock, Metal, Folk, Avant Garde, Pop Opera and Neoclassical Anime Music plus a lot of music for games and Cosplay shows

Not Symphonic stuff my friend, and no connection with the fantastic Teru's Symphonia IMHO

Iván

Quite understandable, if is not prog like this case, then we put them in cross the recycle bin of prog, isn't itUnhappy

Ivan is right , this is not even near as releated , nothing to do with prog in fact.

NO hard feelings Damo
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2013 at 13:26
It would be interesting to read the comments for this music if the vocals could be electronically removed and replaced with those by somebody such as Tom Leonard, Damian Wilson or Russell Allen....Bands with sexy chicks out front tend to have a tough time on here! Admittedly some of this stuff does sound a touch on the 'pop' side, but musically overall I find it very accomplished. Anyhow, if the rest of the team agree that they aren't prog, then they will be rejected and the matter will end. Embarrassed

Edit: They are great live:

Lots more on YouTube too. Tongue

Edited by yam yam - March 10 2013 at 13:31
Marty McFly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2013 at 19:39

Not sure whether they've been suggested here already, but we Japanese consider they can be fit for here as a symphonic prog (in the same vein of Teru's Symphonia or more "theatrical" than TS).

Their 4th album "Elysion - Illusive Paradise Suite" (full album ... ignore Chinese characters appearing on the clip)
Quote SOUND HORIZON got started as a MIDI-based rock project formed by REVO, the leader / founder in late 1990s. Their soundscape has got more and more innovative and theatrical as albums have released, and their progressiveness reached the peak just when the 4th album "Elysion - Illusive Paradise Suite" released.
Thoughts?

Damo-san, this is something very interesting. And crazy (in a good sense of this word).

I'm listening their
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M%C3%A4rchen_%28album%29 album and as I've been listening dozens of Japanese RPG/Visual Novels soundtracks (game OST), this reminds me exactly something like that.

If I understand this situation correctly, their discography is quite big and they incorporate many genres into their music.

EDIT:

I would even go as far as to compare that album with album Cartoon by Brazil group Bigorna. Wild/crazy pastiche of various melodies, styles, pop-culture references and equally various pacing of songs. You never know when they're being serious and when they're just making fun of everything.

Märchen sounds like that to me, except being done in Japanese, which adds interesting twist to it.

Beware, both albums (Bigorna and Märchen) are extremely catchy melodic.

I like it, but sheer craziness of it leaves me a bit confused about what to do with them.

Edited by Marty McFly - March 28 2013 at 20:43
There's a point where "avant-garde" and "experimental" becomes "terrible" and "pointless,"

-Andyman1125 on Lulu

Even my
Marty McFly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2013 at 20:56

Sorry Damox

Iván

Pop anime vocals are simply part of Japanese culture. You can find them in many works there. And the fact that they are one element of what Sound Horizon is doesn't mean they're diminishing the Prog experience. Not enhancing it either though.

I'm not really trying to convince you, just thinking out loud.

And IMO, or IMHO perhaps ... in my very humble and honest, yet uninformed opinion, there is too much about this band to dismiss them so quickly. I've heard just one album so far (that will change in next few days), but from what I can say, that concept album element (although I don't understand the words), rapid changing of genres (but still making sense), strong melodic/symphonic element (although not "your" kind of Symph), many albums released (which means potentially a lot of material that can have Prog or prog elements)

and above all - it's not just Japanese Pop or Pop Rock band. They aim higher and I just have to respect that.

It's always sad when someone cannot hear not even hints of Prog there and another (me) can hear them there quiet well.

Maybe I'm just looking at wider perspective here, considering more and even more importantly

having open mind and open heart.
There's a point where "avant-garde" and "experimental" becomes "terrible" and "pointless,"

-Andyman1125 on Lulu

Even my
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2013 at 13:39
^ & ^^ Two great posts Marty! Excellent analysis indeed! Approve
Windhawk View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2013 at 16:06
...and they will be added to the Progarchives database.Cleared from the Crossover team.

Keishiro - would you do be interested in handling the addition if and when you find the time?

Edited by Windhawk - March 29 2013 at 16:08
Websites I work with:

http://www.progressor.net
http://www.houseofprog.com

My profile on Mixcloud:
https://www.mixcloud.com/haukevind/
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2013 at 18:10
^ Thanks all.

Anyway, the real suggester is honganji, my prog mate ... he's so familiar with them enough to cater for. Thumbs Up
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2013 at 19:01
 Post Reply Post Reply