Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedGrizzly Bear (USA)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Grizzly Bear (USA)
    Posted: March 10 2013 at 05:17
Any thought?

Ady Cardiac View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2013 at 05:39
yeah i really like them.......they were great at end of the road festy last year.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2013 at 06:14
Big fan here as well, but disregarding the laser beam qualities incorporated into Sleeping Ute, which incidentally also is GB's most prog song to date, I really don't think they should be here.
Psych folk rock with indie tendencies, and man is it ever tasty, - but it sure isn't prog.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Polymorphia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2013 at 09:07
Grizzly Bear is amazing. Crossover might be the only category in which Grizzly Bear might be proggy enough to go. Even then it'd be pushing it.
infocat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2013 at 10:01
I also think GB is very good.  But we can't put every great band here just because they're great!
After all, I need some "non-prog" bands in my album collection!  Smile
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2013 at 10:56
Rejected in Post Rock six years ago: http://progfreak.com/Grizzly-Bear-93045.html?path=pa/prShocked RYM: http://rateyourmusic.com/artist/grizzly_bear, has their genres listed as Psychedelic Folk, Indie Folk, Psychedelic Pop, Neo-Psychedelia, Indie Rock, Indie Pop, Progressive Rock, Lo-Fi Indie, Film Soundtrack, Folk Rock...but no mention of Post Rock, so what exactly they were doing there I don't really know! LOL

A band I'm not familiar with at all personally, but I will investigate further and report back. Smile
kit-kat View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2013 at 11:00
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Psych folk rock with indie tendencies, and man is it ever tasty, - but it sure isn't prog.
I agree with this, I quite like them but I've never actually thought of them as prog, they're more like a mixture between indie folk and rock with some psychedelia thrown in, there might be a bit of prog elements as well, but not enough to be added here.
nescafe726 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2013 at 20:43
Originally posted by yam yam yam yam wrote:

Rejected in Post Rock six years ago: http://progfreak.com/Grizzly-Bear-93045.html?path=pa/prShocked RYM: http://rateyourmusic.com/artist/grizzly_bear, has their genres listed as Psychedelic Folk, Indie Folk, Psychedelic Pop, Neo-Psychedelia, Indie Rock, Indie Pop, Progressive Rock, Lo-Fi Indie, Film Soundtrack, Folk Rock...but no mention of Post Rock, so what exactly they were doing there I don't really know! LOL

A band I'm not familiar with at all personally, but I will investigate further and report back. Smile

Post Rock? Hahaha.. so out of line. Looking forward to your investigation though. I never thought them in here, until I went to see them play last week and finally realize that they have prog element especially in their latest album "Shields" touring with a new fifth member on keyboards, although is little prog but they definitely ignites psychedelic folk and some spacey moments. Also few songs in their debut album "Horn of Plenty", like this:-

Fox On The Rocks View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2013 at 23:57
Love Grizzly Bear, but I've always thought of them leaning towards Indie Folk more than anything.
seventhsojourn View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2013 at 05:50
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2013 at 06:33
Originally posted by seventhsojourn seventhsojourn wrote:

Great music... but prog rock?

Imho, the music is progressive and crossover or prog folk would be fit. Just an opinion. 
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2013 at 07:12
They played at the Mosaic Music Festival at the Esplanade Concert Hall in the massive purpose-built 'Theatres on the Bay' building alongside Marina Bay near the mouth of the Singapore River last Saturday evening: http://www.mosaicmusicfestival.com/2013/grizzly-bear.html, and this is taken from the advertising that was posted about the event:

"Nobody makes music quite like this: beautiful tunes created from guitar virtuosity, unusual time signatures, post-punk angles, pastoral prog rock, Daniel Rossen's swooping, Jeff Buckley-like falsetto and what the heartfelt-voiced Droste accurately pinpoints in What's Wrong as "a mounting wave of sound."The Guardian, October 2012

Unleashing a rich, hazy torrent with layers of gritty rock riffs, catchy pop licks, shimmering synths, folk guitar, psychedelia, ambient pop and vocal harmonies in organic, evocative melodies, Grizzly Bear plunges audiences slowly into deep, tempestuous waters.

Grizzly Bear started as a home recording project by Edward Droste in his apartment in Brooklyn, New York in the early 2000s. What was meant to be a form of catharsis after a bad breakup took on a life of its own and, in 2004, gave birth to Ed's first album as Grizzly Bear, Horn of Plenty, featuring drumming by friend, Christopher Bear. A year later, bass guitarist and producer Chris Taylor came on board. Then Chris and Chris pulled in songwriter, guitarist and vocalist Daniel Rossen, and, by 2005, Grizzly Bear had turned into a full band.

In 2006, the band released their first album, the ethereal Yellow House, recorded in Ed's mum's house. It was named one of 2006's top albums by New York Times and Pitchfork Media. The next few years saw the release of a single and an EP, interesting collaborations, performances at music festivals Coachella 2007, Sasquatch 2007, Roskilde (Denmark) 2007, Pitchfork 2007 and Lollapalooza 2008, performances with Paul Simon and the Los Angeles Philharmonic Orchestra, and an opening gig for Radiohead whose guitarist Jonny Greenwood announced onstage that Grizzly was his favourite band.

Veckatimest, followed in 2009 and became a US Billboard 200 #8 and Top Album in the Wall Street Journal, New York Times, Pitchfork Media and Time lists. More performances at the Bonnaroo, South by Southwest, Austin City Limits and Pitchfork 2009 festivals, an orchestral collaboration, TV appearances on the shows of Jimmy Fallon, David Letterman, Jools Holland, Craig Ferguson and Conan O' Brien, performances in Norway and Australia, and the inclusion of their song, Slow Life, in the Twilight Saga: New Moon soundtrack helped seal their fame.

In 2012, when the band's fourth album, Shields, was finally released, fans were rewarded with the most expansive and complex Grizzly Bear album to date. From the jangly Yet Again to Sleeping Ute with its gritty, metal riffs and gravelly vocals to Sun in Your Eyes which begins as a ballad and escalates into a cry of epic proportions, the album reveals so many Grizzly personalities and moods that it is as perplexing as it is completely bewitching.

Grizzly Bear is Ed Droste (lead vocals, keyboards, guitar), Christopher Bear (drums, percussion, backing vocals), Chris Taylor (bass guitar, wind instruments, backing vocals, producer) and Daniel Rossen (lead vocals, keyboards, guitar).

And then we have this very detailed review of their latest album (from last year) 'Shields' (some YouTube links contained in this piece are already embedded above by Chris in his last post): http://www.prefixmag.com/reviews/grizzly-bear/shields/69169/

"Where to begin with Grizzly Bear? A brief primer for the uninitiated: In 2004, Ed Droste released Horn of Plenty, a worryingly good gem of a bedroom-solo-release, and then enlisted Chris Taylor, Chris Bear and Daniel Rossen to become a four-piece and make two of the better records of last decade, Yellow House in 2006 and Veckatimest in 2009. Chances are you caught the GB fever the moment you heard the first four notes of “Two Weeks,” and you’ve been on constant simmer since, until your temperature spiked with this summer’s two singles, “Sleeping Ute” and “Yet Again.” Let’s just say they were really good. And so here we are: hype, buzz, anticipation, expectation, pressure: thy name is Shields.

And with good reason. Veckatimest was a notable peak in the unending mountain range of indie rock releases; like a bunch of master watchmakers, Grizzly Bear labored, layered and tinkered with minutiae until they had a seminal record on their hands. The album wasn’t without its detractors (in a rare moment of being utterly wrong, Chuck Eddy called “Two Weeks” “hookless, gutless, grooveless, shapeless” at the Singles Jukebox), but the praise drowned out the naysayers. Fascination, wonderment – those are the targets Grizzly Bear aim for with their weird blend of chamber pop, jazz drifts, prog noise and vocal harmonies. No one does it better.

And that’s what makes “Sleeping Ute,” the opening track on Shields, such a huge statement for the band, and for Droste and Rossen in particular, who steadily edged away from “On a Neck, On a Spit” until the guitar became just another texture. “Sleeping Ute” downright rocks in a way I didn’t think Grizzly Bear could rock; it synthesizes an apparently latent love of the riff with the little intricacies we expect, like synth undercurrents and noise fills that crop up here and there. Chris Bear was always more of a gymnastic percussionist, but here, he attacks his cymbals like Patrick Carney circa Thickfreakness. “Yet Again,” too, sees Bear pummel along under surprisingly full-throated guitarwork from Droste and Rossen. Harmonies accompany the fills in standard fashion, but for the last minute, it’s crashing guitar-and-drums, the closest thing Grizzly Bear have come to aggression in a song. Those two exciting tracks prime you for what you hope will be Grizzly Bear getting their long-needed rock-and-roll on for ten glorious tracks.

Which, well, doesn’t exactly happen. There’s another semi-rocker in “Speak in Rounds,” which is more like an afterword to “Southern Point” (the pre-chorus acoustic shuffle is eerily similar) and really only gets into high gear when Rossen’s rasp takes over from Droste’s warmer voice. The song ends at a full sprint before drifting into the wisps of “Adelma,” one of those dreamy, ultimately meaningless minute-long tracks that thoughtful bands toss in sometimes to show off their arty chops. You could find merit in the ambience, but it’s really more an unneeded lacuna: Without it, we’d have three of the best Grizzly Bear tracks to date in breathless sequence.

Either way, there’s a bit of a mid-disc valley; Shields is decidedly front- and back-loaded. “A Simple Answer” is pure Grizzly Bear craft, down to the calliope keys and Rossen’s pathos-laden lyrics: “Soldier on, but please not so long / this time.” But it’s not till the uneasy cello pulls of “Half Gate” and the pause-and-crescendo, massive synth catharsis of closer “Sun In Your Eyes” that you’re reminded why Grizzly Bear were and are some of our very best musicians. In that last track, Droste repeats “It overflows / it overflows / it always runs” before Rossen answers “So bright / so long / I’m never coming back.” It feels like the sum total of the band’s lifespan, like they’ve touched their aesthetic nirvana, the grizzliest Grizzly Bear can be.

The oversimplified but no-less-burning question on your mind remains: Is Shields as good as Veckatimest? The short answer is no. Several songs here deserve placement on the inevitable best-of comp, and “Sleeping Ute” and “Yet Again” are two of 2012’s better songs; they stand head and shoulders above most of the album and above a lot of the music you’ve heard this year. More importantly, they’re Grizzly Bear’s first expedition into what is, for them, the terra incognita of bluesier strains; they augured, we had hoped, an adventurous structural shift. Conservative, instead, describes Shields: Veckatimest authorized it to be far bolder. You yearn for what could’ve been."

Review by Matthew MacFarland, who states in it that the band's previous album 'Veckatimest' (which he thought was better than this one) was a notable peak in the unending mountain range of indie rock releases...and there we have it - despite what was said about "pastoral prog rock" and "unusual time signatures" in the UK's highly-respected Guardian newspaper, this is indie rock...really well-written and well-played Indie rock it must be said...but I don't really hear any prog tbf. Ermm

Edited by yam yam - March 13 2013 at 07:15
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2013 at 08:46
Great band, but I don't see them having a place here.
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2013 at 13:48
Originally posted by yam yam yam yam wrote:

They played at the Mosaic Music Festival at the Esplanade Concert Hall in the massive purpose-built 'Theatres on the Bay' building alongside Marina Bay near the mouth of the Singapore River last Saturday evening: http://www.mosaicmusicfestival.com/2013/grizzly-bear.html, and this is taken from the advertising that was posted about the event:

I was there at The Mosaic and because of the show it has ignited me to suggest the band in here. Anyway, not surprise if they are not able to make into PA. 
Einsetumadur View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2013 at 14:52
Originally posted by infocat infocat wrote:

I also think GB is very good.  But we can't put every great band here just because they're great!

One more point proving myself my growing disinterest in modern 'prog rock'. Unhappy

Grizzly Bear is exactly the kind of band which I feel helps on the course of music today. They are musicians moving along with today's popular music, seeking and finding the essence and aesthetics of the music which many people enjoy at the moment. Then they inject some individualism, parts of their personalities and own musical development into these 'pop' structures. Great band - and great hopes in music such as that.

Edited by Einsetumadur - July 25 2013 at 14:52
All in all each man in all men
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2013 at 20:51
Hey Max!

If you dig the new folk rock coming out of the states, then you should definitely check out a band called Fleet Foxes. Judging by your reviews, I think they would suit your tastes perfectlyThumbs Up
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
infocat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2013 at 21:44
Originally posted by Einsetumadur Einsetumadur wrote:

Originally posted by infocat infocat wrote:

One more point proving myself my growing disinterest in modern 'prog rock'. Unhappy

Grizzly Bear is exactly the kind of band which I feel helps on the course of music today. They are musicians moving along with today's popular music, seeking and finding the essence and aesthetics of the music which many people enjoy at the moment. Then they inject some individualism, parts of their personalities and own musical development into these 'pop' structures. Great band - and great hopes in music such as that.
But does that mean they are 'prog'?
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2013 at 23:51
^Thumbs Up
 Post Reply Post Reply