Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedIn what way did your prog favs let you down?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 10>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2013 at 13:16
Originally posted by The Doctor The Doctor wrote:

My fav is Clutching at Straws.  Marillion did disappoint me with Radiation, coming off the excellent This Strange Engine, and then followed Radiation up with what I thought was a rather boring album, .com. 

Clutching is very close to being my favourite too, but that's because I love the beatnik approach of the lyrics. Always read a lot of Kerouac and Burroughs.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2013 at 04:58
VDGG = ALT is the pits

Rush = Presto - flopping awful

Genesis = Abacab - nauseating

ELP = In the Hot Seat = such a waste of a Cd

Storm Corrosion = Worst thing from Steven Wilson and Akerfeldt
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2013 at 05:32
Just found out about this thread, anyway of the top of my head...

Black Sabbath after Born Again.
Ambrosia after Somewhere I've Never Travelled. Road Island, their last is very good though.
PFM after Jet Lag.

Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2013 at 05:44
I was never chronological in my pursuit of Pink Floyd's catalogue, but when I came across The Final Cut, I felt let down. In a big way. I know it has its fans here and I love the fact that we all are different, but to me personally, it feels like foreplay after the orgasm. The Wall expressed everything integral to Waters' inner demons in terms of his father and the war - yet with The Final Cut we get even more from the same drawer. Only with plastic patch work music and half a band.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Stool Man View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2013 at 05:52
And of course it was the only album they did without a live tour to support it
rotten hound of the burnie crew
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2013 at 05:54
Who can blame em?

- Douglas Adams
Ady Cardiac View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2013 at 06:23
i brought a gentle giant cd set last year.....was the last 6 albums  i think.....its frightening as the albums get worse as they go along.....the last one is awful.......which is a shame.
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2013 at 08:25
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Originally posted by The Doctor The Doctor wrote:

My fav is Clutching at Straws.  Marillion did disappoint me with Radiation, coming off the excellent This Strange Engine, and then followed Radiation up with what I thought was a rather boring album, .com. 

Clutching is very close to being my favourite too, but that's because I love the beatnik approach of the lyrics. Always read a lot of Kerouac and Burroughs.

I stopped listening after Misplaced Childhood, I'm afraid.
Ruby900 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2013 at 17:33
Pink floyd doing the Wall - really cannot get on with it, even after all this time.....
"I always say that it’s about breaking the rules. But the secret of breaking rules in a way that works is understanding what the rules are in the first place". Rick Wakeman
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2013 at 18:07
The last 20 years of sideshow buffoonery by Yes has been exceedingly disappointing. And it seems to get exponentially worse as time goes on. There was a time in my life when they were it, but even listening to their classics now gets clouded by images of recent rubbish albums and line-up changes. Chris Squire's jackbootery as the masthead for their current devolving enterprise.
Ruby900 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2013 at 18:09
Originally posted by Tapfret Tapfret wrote:

The last 20 years of sideshow buffoonery by Yes has been exceedingly disappointing. And it seems to get exponentially worse as time goes on. There was a time in my life when they were it, but even listening to their classics now gets clouded by images of recent rubbish albums and line-up changes. Chris Squire's jackbootery as the masthead for their current devolving enterprise.

I wish you would speak your mind.......LOL
"I always say that it’s about breaking the rules. But the secret of breaking rules in a way that works is understanding what the rules are in the first place". Rick Wakeman
irrelevant View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2013 at 21:26
Originally posted by Ady Cardiac Ady Cardiac wrote:

i brought a gentle giant cd set last year.....was the last 6 albums  i think.....its frightening as the albums get worse as they go along.....the last one is awful.......which is a shame.

I actually like the music of Civilian, it's good pop/rock, to me. I even don't mind Giant For a Day (it's certainly not great). I think that GG never really made a bad album. In terms of the last three albums, it wasn't so much the music that suffered, it was why they made the music that way which was the slightly disappointing thing.   

Edited by irrelevant - March 16 2013 at 21:27
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2013 at 23:25
Wow.....how does one  answer a question like that without sounding petty...? Wink
IMHO several of my classic prog faves have 'let me down' over the years.
After Brain Salad ELP just bottomed out,
KC shifted gears so dramtically after Red it was a let down for me,
And of course I was disappointed when Gabriel left Genesis ...and that's not dissing Collins but the music changed too much for my tastes after Trick and Wind.
I could name others but I don't want to sound like a complainer.

One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
brainstormer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2013 at 22:41
I really like the saying "If you don't have something nice to say about someone, don't say anything at all."
I am in the extreme minority as I don't think there ever was a bad ELP album. I remember in the 90's everyone who loved Magma hated Magma's Merci.  Now, hardly anyone who loves Magma hates that album, or at least
it has some popularity.  It will probably change in 10 years for ELP.  But, in saying something negative, my
2nd fav. prog band, Yes, I thought that the last album, Fly From Here, was the hardest of their albums
to get into.  Which is surprising because they held out for so long in putting out anything bad.  But, if
some fans like it, at least that's good enough for me.   It's not like they ever picked up the huge flock
of people that never knew their prog side, like Genesis did.  

Edited by brainstormer - March 17 2013 at 22:44
--
Robert Pearson
Regenerative Music http://www.regenerativemusic.net
Telical Books http://www.telicalbooks.com
ParaMind Brainstorming Software http://www.paramind.net

ten years after View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2013 at 02:54
At the time i was disappointed by The Lamb Lied Down on Broadway, hoping for more in the Selling England direction.

Within months I changed my mind.

I had similar reactions to Brain Salad Surgery and TFTO.

Animals disappointed me at the time and I still don't particularly like it.
Josef_K View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2013 at 06:35
Yes in the 80s, nothing wrong with trying to do something completely different than before, but does it have to sound awful? In a way I guess parts of "Going for the One" and "Tormato" were disappointments as well, nowhere near the perfection of "Relayer". Still, they both had some extremely strong moments.

Genesis after The Lamb... so much potential, but it just feels so boring, and poor Phil really struggles but never gets there...

Pink Floyd after The Final Cut, same as for Genesis... except High Hopes where they actually show that they don't really need Waters to make great music. 

VdGG after Hugh left sounds weird... maybe it'll grow on me...
Leave the past to burn,
At least that's been his own

- Peter Hammill
freyacat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2013 at 14:53
I remember reading Robert Fripp writing in the 90's about the audience member's expectations, and all the things we think we have a "right" to.
I use the word "disappoint" carefully, because my expectations can get in the way of an artist doing what they are inspired to do.  If a musician is giving it their best shot in the circumstances, it's not really fair for me to be disappointed if I don't like it. 
So many reviews on this site are not reviewing the music.  It's just the reviewer complaining that the 80's followed the 70's, or that their heroes got old.  Sometimes, the reviewer is simply reviewing himself and his lack of musical sensitivity.
But I am genuinely "disappointed" if good musicians fail to live up to that goodness, and are obviously phoning it in. 
I am disappointed if a musician is playing something they don't believe in.
sad creature nailed upon the coloured door of time
happythe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2013 at 12:42
I was pretty disappointed when I met Steve Howe and asked him to sign a picture of Tomorrow I had. He looked at it aghast, then sighed, "How embarrassing... Look at those trousers..."

Granted, bright blue velvet crotch-huggers are hard to get hold of these days, but I did think good taste never died. Cry

Seriously, though, I think the only time I'd be disappointed by a band was if they weren't giving it their all onstage (I know everyone has off days, but most people at gigs have made an effort to get there and are paying for the privilege...).

When it comes to bad albums... I stop listening, but don't feel sad about the lost potential. I do remember being sad aged about 8 (1996) when I discovered that my hero Paul McCartney no longer looked like he did in 1965, and later I felt gutted in retrospect that Gabriel left Genesis. But yanno, if the ideas/energy/team spirit are gone, then what else can be done? The good stuff is still there to be appreciated, after all. Actually, there's so much fantastic music out there to be discovered that it's not really any loss to find out that a band is done with being good; you can just let them get on with it and look elsewhere...
Stop me from dreaming?
Okay :-(
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2013 at 16:38
that's Howe being very nice lol--he's notoriously aloof----of course he wouldn't shake my hand when I met him but he barely wanted to speak.
happythe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2013 at 11:10
Originally posted by twosteves twosteves wrote:

that's Howe being very nice lol--he's notoriously aloof----of course he wouldn't shake my hand when I met him but he barely wanted to speak.

I had read before going to his show that he didn't shake people's hands, and I saw him dodge someone else's handshake whilst I was waiting in line! Needless to say, I didn't offer mine. But yeah, he must have been in a good mood that day, because he was also quite chatty about the Syndicats 45 I brought for him to sign. (He signed one side as himself and scrawled Ray Fenwick's name on the other, "because I didn't play on that one".) LOL
Stop me from dreaming?
Okay :-(
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 10>