Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedIn what way did your prog favs let you down?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 10>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2013 at 05:54
Originally posted by Dayvenkirq Dayvenkirq wrote:

Originally posted by friso friso wrote:

I really disliked seeing Robert Fripp walking on stage and playing a pink acoustic guitar on a Lady Gaga concert in Londen in 2010. He just kept smyling...
Ermm ... You've just made that up, right? Geek

Yeah I did :P

...It was a green guitar...
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2013 at 08:24

Originally posted by Dayvenkirq Dayvenkirq wrote:

I really disliked seeing Robert Fripp walking on stage and playing a pink acoustic guitar on a Lady Gaga concert in Londen in 2010. He just kept smyling...
Ermm ... You've just made that up, right? Geek

Yeah I did :P

...It was a green guitar...

Or blue or yellow ... I would find that hilarious ... still would not get me to spend a cent on that woman, but what the heck! ... the laugh was worth it!

Are you sure it was not a cardboard cut-out?
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2013 at 09:32
Sixteen years old and a bunch of try to be cool wise guys picked me up and they had Dark Side of the Moon playing in their souped up car. I bought the album a few days later. I thought it was so different and that was moronic to a degree. While this realization remained in my thoughts, a year passed while WMMR and WYSP in Philadelphia started playing tracks from it as if it were a bubblegum affair..except this was suppose to be cool and cosmic and that turned me off from the album. After a few months of that contrived nonsense I arrived to the conclusion that Meddle was a real Pink Floyd album and that D.S.O.T.M. was phony and plastic.

I had a difficult time digesting people sitting around in the yoga positions, fooling with substances, and praising Jon Anderson's cosmic lyrics. I used to vomit when I subjected myself to that. After Close to the Edge I completely hated them. The vast social environment of YES fans in Jersey and P.A. had a certain belief system and everyone wanted to shut up and listen to the master Jon Anderson speak.

Argent had released a couple of decent albums. Ring Of Hands, In Deep (minus a few filler tracks), Circus and Counterpoints. Most people liked All Together Now and Encore. All Together Now is by far the worst ever and Encore sounds like a band who didn't practice.

Captain Beyond was an album that we used to laugh at. People just didn't get it. Rod Evans was horrible. The lyrics/words to those songs coming out of his stupied mouth were laughable and the best entertainment to date. Rhino and Pinera were such lame guitar players. They played with Iron Butterfly? How lame is that? Think about it. Think really hard. Captain Beyond is linked to prog? Think of the background of the band members? In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida was horrific enough, but these guys played in the later incarnation of Iron Butterfly and that was a waste within the definition itself. After hearing musicians in Curved Air, Captain Beyond was developing a prog definition? Really? Then I guess anyone who plays half-ass guitar and sings annoying can form a prog band. People make fun of Ted Nugent and Foghat and yet Captain Beyond is classified as a form of prog? I guess no one has to practice anymore. How pathetic and moronic is that?

As a teenager I liked Deep Purple. Even though the lyrics were about low-life macho pea brain concepts, the band was great. I hated BURN with a passion. It took 2 singers to cover the vocal range of Ian Gillian. One covered the low end and the other attempted to match Gillians high dimensional range. The songwriting was progressively worse with songs like "Might Just Take Your Life", "Lay Down, Stay Down", "You Fool No One". Can't you write about something interesting? Howlin Wolf was a rocker , but he didn't come across showboating rock lyrics like a guy wearing a jock strap. Ian Gillian had a diverse voice with dimensional range. He was chosen to sing the main role for Jesus Christ Superstar instead of other bubblegum artists like the Cowsills, Bobby Goldsboro, or whoever? Ian Gillan ripped his voice to shreads with his attack on "Child In Time". He lost abilty to sing that way ever again and these 2 rockers were on a mission to replace that kind of power and drive? Andrew LLoyd Webber was not about to choose just any lamo to take on a project role. This is a background check and you can clearly see how every move to promote talent in 74' became less important for bands.

Procol Harum released Broken Barricades and apart from the title track and Simple Sister, it was a cheap and badly written blend of lack luster Procol songs with the cheap Hendrix imitator Robin Trower dominating the sound. There is one particular song where Keith Reid is reciting poetry with echo and Trower is making use of 68' Hendrix guitar effects and the whole entire affair is useless and pointless. A more modern Hendrix sound post Mahogany Rush/pre-Bridge of Sighs cheapness slipped into the sound of Procol Harum. God awful it was.

Edited by TODDLER - March 12 2013 at 10:01
Moogtron III View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2013 at 09:49
My favorite prog band (Yes) didn't really let me down, just started losing the magic a bit from the 1990's on.
I don't blame them, and it's nice that sometimes there were outbursts of new creativity again, as with Keys To Ascension, the tour with the orchestra (Magnification) and Fly From Here (although I do miss Anderson and Wakeman).
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2013 at 14:30
The fact that "As Above So Below" never recorded their stuff properly oh and Alaska - who did Lord of the rings parts 1,2 and 3 never put down any studio work - truly wasted genius I fear....

Edited by M27Barney - March 12 2013 at 14:30
tolcc View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2013 at 20:52
I was really sad when Mike Portnoy left DT. I was inconsolable until I found out about Mangini and heard ADTOE.

Opeth's Heritage disappointed me at first, but now I LOVE it.

The fact that Steven Wilson put PT on hiatus still bothers me.

I don't know if it counts as prog, but Metallica putting out Lulu gets the award for the biggest disappoinment EVER.
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2013 at 21:13
Tull put out blandities like "A", "Broadsword and the Beast" and "Under Wraps". I only partially forgave them when "Crest of a Knave" was released.

Yes released  "Tormato" and "Drama" consecutively.

Genesis and "Abacab" (and everything thereafter).

Pink Floyd and "The Final Cut" (a prophetic title if ever there was one).

...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
ProgMetaller2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2013 at 22:18
I don't like speaking of this Pinch  but I will:

I hated Genesis's video of We Can't Dance(I still do)
I hate the intro to Big Generator(Sick). I still hate most of Union and Tormato by Yes Unhappy
I hated all of Rush's material after Moving Pictures(with time I learned to like them though Thumbs Up)
I get Sick looking at ELP's Love Beach

Edited by ProgMetaller2112 - March 12 2013 at 22:20
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

― George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four

"Ignorance and Prejudice and Fear walk Hand in Hand"- Neil Peart

Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2013 at 10:22
Genesis going "pop" after Gabriel and Hackett left.
Queen going "pop" after "A day at the races".
Yes letting Jon Anderson out.
No more Anderson/Barre new music after more than a decade.
 "In the hot seat" as the last "ELP" album.

twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2013 at 10:39
Yes letting lot's of mediocre musicians from the 80--thru the 90's and into the new century into the fold which is aways a recipe for disaster for this group artistically---the group is only great with 5 great musicians---and Genesis's refusal to work with Hackett unless Peter is involved---which is unlikely---as I love the Seconds Out period.
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2013 at 13:45
Gabriel's Genesis disbanding without having done a decent video recording of a The Lamb show (I have lost hope that there may be any in some vault).

Kansas not having done any live video recording (as far as I know) of their best period (Two For The Show tour).
Polymorphia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2013 at 14:41
Comus never released a studio recording of the Malgaard Suite Cry
jude111 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2013 at 14:51
Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Hmm....
Maybe not what you had in mind, but something that's been rather difficult to swallow for me, is when artists denounce their earlier music. Pink Floyd fx have been pretty nasty about Atom Heart Mother, especially Waters and Gilmour.
Now I happen to believe that AHM is a bonafide masterpiece, and that the epic selftitled track is a thing of pure art. A lot of that is obviously down to Ron Geesin's input and guidance, which is why I find it even more disrespectful. It was just as much his baby.

Don't really agree with  that. he orchestrated it sure. And had some input in arrangement. Didn't write it  though.

I think he rather had a large hand in it. From what I've read, the band jammed in the studio, handed him the tapes, and then disappeared, leaving him to make some sense of it, which he did.
HemispheresOfXanadu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2013 at 15:39

Wow! Fripp knows how to smile?!

Edited by HemispheresOfXanadu - March 13 2013 at 21:38
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2013 at 10:21
When I was a mere teenager in the early 70's, prog was introduced to me through the news media. ELP, Genesis, and Jethro Tull were on "Channel 6 Action News, Channel 3 Eyewitness News because they were playing in Philadelphia every year. No one in particular had the idea of examining critically the elements of the music. Rock critics were of course , but the music set kids free and so for our generation it was all about acceptance and welcoming this new music into our lives. My ambivalent reaction/attitude developed much later in the late 70's when bands like Starcastle were being promoted and a younger generation began to denigrate prog bands from '70-'72.

I continued to investigate the underground prog discovering fans of Hatfield and the North and  the entire genre to be quite obsolete. So..I wanted to go to England to find these people. I didn't and suffered in New Jersey with Disco boys and Rocky Horror Picture Show fans. Their attitude about prog was futile and for a short while I became furious over these people. When I first discovered P.A. and even Progressive Ears, I could obviously sense that people from this generation were controlling the opinions of the threads. I had not the ability to deal with the rude remarks promptly/effectively. Instead I was shocked and too disappointed to do anything but laugh it off calmly, dismissing it as I did in the late 70's. I met a few kind/courteous members on P.A. that I respected and were teenagers in the late 70's. They were intelligently informed on prog history and they even gave me introduction to the prog bands I had missed in my youth. This was a plus on P.A.!!!

I recall traveling the road and we had a blow-up doll on the bus with us. Some band members would often suggest that I be seated next to it so I could discuss prog with it instead of them.  My esoteric tastes felt awkward to the automation clones who rode the bus. Art Zoyd and Univers Zero confined me to this sadistic image among my peers. European musicians wrote me letters expressing interest in America and I was determined to convince them otherwise. It baffles me as to just how they were being educated to American culture in Europe at that time. I knew I didn't belong here and constantly forced to conceal myself or suffer ridicule from many American musicians who ironically desired to take lessons from me..yet felt anxious in my presence as if I was going to drug them, incarcerate them in a dark chamber, and proceed to chop them into tiny pieces...which is not how the social environment in European countries were reacting to the music of Univers Zero. I was just like everybody else that defecated and procreated. Long before we all existed we ate lunch..like malignant tumors. 

Edited by TODDLER - March 14 2013 at 10:34
BlackenedGass View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2013 at 18:12
There are quite a few times a prog band has let me down... be it a mediocre album, change of member/sound/instrument.

But the the biggest one would be all of the relentless touring my favorite ones do without ever coming to the U.K.!
horza View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2013 at 11:15
Originally posted by BlackenedGass BlackenedGass wrote:

There are quite a few times a prog band has let me down... be it a mediocre album, change of member/sound/instrument.But the the biggest one would be all of the relentless touring my favorite ones do without ever coming to the U.K.!

Name them!!

Personally I would love to have seen Fates Warning here in the UK.
Originally posted by darkshade:

Calling Mike Portnoy a bad drummer is like calling Stephen Hawking an idiot.
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2013 at 13:01
Marillion. Script for a Jester's Tear was magnificent to me and still is. Fugazi was mediocre. Misplaced Childhood was nothing but a chore for me to sit through.

Jethro Tull - Under Wraps was awful, although I enjoyed the concert.

Genesis after Hackett left

I was disappointed with Till We Have Faces and with GTR, although I was quite willing to play Hackett to Bits over and over and over again. However, Hackett followed up GTR with Momentum and many other stupendous albums that followed.

I was really getting into Jade Warrior shortly before Tony Duhig died. Still nice material that followed anyway.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2013 at 13:10
Originally posted by HackettFan HackettFan wrote:

Marillion. Script for a Jester's Tear was magnificent to me and still is. Fugazi was mediocre. Misplaced Childhood was nothing but a chore for me to sit through.

Funny how that works - my fave is Fugazi, while I partly agree with you on Misplaced Childhood.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
The Doctor View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2013 at 13:14
My fav is Clutching at Straws.  Marillion did disappoint me with Radiation, coming off the excellent This Strange Engine, and then followed Radiation up with what I thought was a rather boring album, .com. 
I can understand your anger at me, but what did the horse I rode in on ever do to you?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 10>