Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedIn what way did your prog favs let you down?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 10>
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2013 at 11:38
Genesis not calling it a day when Hackett left !
Larree View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2013 at 13:03
Originally posted by Billy 7 Billy 7 wrote:

Genesis should have called it a day after Trick of the Tail!
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2013 at 13:17
Genesis should've had more tubas in their output.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
horza View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2013 at 14:05
Originally posted by Billy 7 Billy 7 wrote:

Wind & Wuthering, ATTWT and Duke were great albums as well - maybe after Duke I went off them a little.

Tuba? Surely you mean cowbell

Btw Guldbamsen - why is your hair blue and purple in your pic?

Edited by horza - March 23 2013 at 14:06
Originally posted by darkshade:

Calling Mike Portnoy a bad drummer is like calling Stephen Hawking an idiot.
Clepsydra View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2013 at 14:16
Clepsydra breaking up & the debacle that became Yes!
Chozal View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2013 at 14:29
The whole Dream Theater breakup, ugly on all sides
The Infinite Progability Drive, feeding you daily progressive/weird music for just a like <3
grasshopperman View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2013 at 14:40
For me it is when band members start having delusions of grandeur. That may sound a little strong, but I think  the main candidates to be: Roger Waters and Pink Floyd, Roger Hodgeson and Supertramp, Tony Banks and Genesis (I feel that Hackett was squeezed out of that band - I have experienced this sort of nonsense in various bands - it tends to be all a little bit too Spinal Tap at times) I suppose I could include Rossi and Parfitt in this equasion; at a push.
jude111 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2013 at 15:02
Originally posted by grasshopperman grasshopperman wrote:

For me it is when band members start having delusions of grandeur. That may sound a little strong, but I think  the main candidates to be: Roger Waters and Pink Floyd, Roger Hodgeson and Supertramp, Tony Banks and Genesis (I feel that Hackett was squeezed out of that band - I have experienced this sort of nonsense in various bands - it tends to be all a little bit too Spinal Tap at times) I suppose I could include Rossi and Parfitt in this equasion; at a push.

People grow apart, their lives go in separate directions. It happens to every single one of us. Very few friendships from childhood or high school and the early-20s last beyond that. That's the norm. Look at every band. How many are able to stay together? Not many. Even then, it's more of a business relationship at that point. (And even most business relationships end badly, given enough time.)

Edited by jude111 - March 23 2013 at 15:03
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2013 at 16:37

feel there is a lot of truth to this----Banks should put his ego aside and realize that he and Hackett are kindred music spirits----
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2013 at 16:47
Genesis going commercial was probably the biggest.  I'm not going to knock them for it, but when you hear Big Big Train, maybe they should have just laid low for a while. Wink
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

horza View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2013 at 04:41
Originally posted by Chozal Chozal wrote:

Was the break-up ugly?

I thought it was handled better than most.
Originally posted by darkshade:

Calling Mike Portnoy a bad drummer is like calling Stephen Hawking an idiot.
zeqexes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2013 at 05:51
Originally posted by horza horza wrote:

Originally posted by Chozal Chozal wrote:

Was the break-up ugly?

I thought it was handled better than most.

Yeah, same here. I know it was a bit controversial and 'ugly' when Mike Portnoy asked to rejoin and stuff, but the way the band reacted and the true fans of the band reacted was surprisingly good.
Metalmarsh89 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2013 at 10:47
Originally posted by jude111 jude111 wrote:

People grow apart, their lives go in separate directions. It happens to every single one of us. Very few friendships from childhood or high school and the early-20s last beyond that. That's the norm. Look at every band. How many are able to stay together? Not many. Even then, it's more of a business relationship at that point. (And even most business relationships end badly, given enough time.)

I wonder everyday how bands like Rush can continue the way the have. Nearly 40 years (including hiatus) with the same three fellows and they don't seem to have begun their decline yet.
Metalmarsh89 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2013 at 10:52
I can't think of anything a band does or as done that I find disappointing. Part of it would be that I've only been into prog for a couple years now, so anything that happened in the 1970's is history to me. But part of it would also be that when prog bands make questionable decisions, I know that my expectations for them are irrelevant to what should be done. They are people too.

Although, I am disappointed in Frank Zappa and Freddie Mercury for dying. Tongue
Anthony View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2013 at 07:33
I'm disappointed in Mostly Autumn still calling themselves Mostly Autumn without Heather Findlay. Especially after my last conversation with Bryan Josh in October 2009. I'd heard they were planning a new album, so I asked Bryan if there was a chance the new album would include a duet between Heather and Olivia Sparnenn. And Bryan was very against that idea, stating that Heather was the lead singer of Mostly Autumn and Olivia was the lead singer of Breathing Space, and Josh & co. Limited. Having Olivia sing lead on a Mostly Autumn would be ridiculous, like Sam Brown and the other backing vocalists singing lead vocals on a David Gilmour-album and then call it Pink Floyd. Anyway, Heather left (and later interviews revealed that Bryan already knew this when he was talking to me), and all of a sudden Bryan's girlie became the new lead vocalist of Mostly Autumn. Apparently it wasn't so 'ridiculous' anymore. Damn liar! The honest thing to do would have been to stop using the name Mostly Autumn and continue with Josh & co. Limited.
Future prosperity lies in the way you heal the world with love
(Introitus - The hand that feeds you)
zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2013 at 13:03
The big let down was the unquestioning adoption of 80s production and never giving it up. As this happened I realized that these bands (yes, genesis) might write good music through their career but would insist on making it as cheesy as possible from1982 till the present. There does not seem to be an end in site, even for the third wavers. The moral here is that most players in the music business are complete lemmings and it was a fluke of nature that they came around in the 70s when production happened to be amazing and parts of the culture were classically cool.

There is absolutely no reason that any album produced shouldn't sound like moving pictures or Aja. If that was the case i would probably own 10x more music than I do now :)

Edited by zumacraig - March 29 2013 at 13:08
Stardust we are.
-Roine Stolt
kingesis2 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2013 at 09:45
  • Yes: Almost all after 90125 I dont like it
  • Rush: Power Windows and Hold Your Fire
  • Genesis: Well, Phil Collins era have pretty good songs but I cant listen to a single full album of the 80s without getting bored
  • Dream Theater: Falling Into Infinity
  • Emerson, Lake and Palmer: The pop era
  • Jethro Tull: Their last albums dont have the perfection of the first ones
  • Mikael Akerfeldt and Steven Wilson: Storm Corrossion: I dont get it!
  • Steve Hackett: Making pop music
  • Robert Fripp: Just the fact of being in a Lady Gaga concert
And some prog related:
  • Metallica: Load, Reload, St. Anger and Lulu
  • Led Zeppelin: Latter days
  • Queen: The death of Freddy Mercury
  • Asia: All after the first album
  • And Les Claypool voice in the perfomance of The Spirit Of Radio in the induction of Rush in the Rock and Roll Hall Of Fame
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2013 at 17:37
1)  King Crimson - when I heard in 1981 that Fripp was reforming the band with Adrian Belew I was really excited...and while Discipline/Beat/ToaPP have a lot of great music, the style was so drastically different than the 70's KC, I wish they had renamed the band Discipline as originally planned.  The name discipline is a perfect representation for the kind of music they created with all the interweaving guitar arpeggio's and Bruford's restrained drumming.  For me, the Fripp/Wetton/Bruford/Cross lineup was nearly perfect and I would've liked to see the name King Crimson retired in 1975 with the issue of "The Young Person's Guide to King Crimson." 

2)  Genesis - After Hackett left I could find less and less to like about Genesis albums, ATTWT still had some great stuff but also had 'Say it's Alright Joe' and 'Follow You Follow Me'...Abacab had a couple favorites, 'Me and Sarah Jane' & 'Dodo/Lurker', even 'No Reply at All' was kinda fun but by the time of Duke the transformation was just about complete, and I hated everything after.  Seems Phil & Tony became egomaniacs during Wind & Wuthering.

3)  ELP - OK, I'll admit it, I love "Memoirs of an Officer and a Gentleman" more than Pirates or Fanfare for the Common Man.  What let me down was the other side of Love Beach.  If they could still write pieces like "Memoirs..." how could they fill the other side of Love Beach with such disasters?  Maybe that's why they're laughing on the Love Beach cover?

4)  Kansas...what can I say, they could record amazing prog like "Icarus", "Mysteries & Mayhem/The Pinnacle", "Magnum Opus",  & "Hymn to the Atman".  But at the same time such embarrassing attempts at top 40 radio like "Two Cents Worth" & "It Take's a Woman's Love to Make a Man"...When they were good they were very good, but when they were bad...watch out.
Mr. Soot Gremlin View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2013 at 12:26
Well... Jethro Tull going electronic, which is probably true for a lot of people. I was also very let down when I found a video of Jethro Tull live in Germany around 1979, where they lip-synced two very good songs that could have been even more amazing had they played them live. Sigh... that was a let-down.

Oh, and their music videos for songs like "Heavy Horses" and "Lap of Luxury" (which is a bad song to begin with). I feel bad saying it, but I think they're too awesome to have to sell out like that.
"Double locked and belted in, afraid to make the clasp"
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2013 at 14:43
Originally posted by Mr. Soot Gremlin Mr. Soot Gremlin wrote:

Well... Jethro Tull going electronic, which is probably true for a lot of people. I was also very let down when I found a video of Jethro Tull live in Germany around 1979, where they lip-synced two very good songs that could have been even more amazing had they played them live. Sigh... that was a let-down.

Oh, and their music videos for songs like "Heavy Horses" and "Lap of Luxury" (which is a bad song to begin with). I feel bad saying it, but I think they're too awesome to have to sell out like that.

By "going electronic" I'm guessing you mean the album "A"?  I was bitterly disappointed at that one.  I liked some songs during their celtic-jack-in-the-green phase, but overall I was very happy when they returned to a heavier sound with Stormwatch".  When "A" arrived I was excited and thought it was going to continue in the heavy guitar direction of "Stormwatch"...boy was I wrong Thumbs Down...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 10>