Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedIn what way did your prog favs let you down?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 10>
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2013 at 15:18
Actually, I was wrong. I actually do like "Broadsword and the Beast", which I think is a great example of how synthesizers can be used well in rock music and not just as a gimmick. With the electronic stuff, I guess Ian Anderson just wanted to take the band in a different direction again, which I respect, but it just doesn't affect me the way albums like Aqualung, TAAB, or Minstrel in the Gallery do.

Oh, and I love Stormwatch! The band left the 70s on a really high note, in my opinion.
"Double locked and belted in, afraid to make the clasp"
stegor View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2013 at 22:22
The biggest disappointment for me was When Ian Anderson sacked John Evan, Barrie Barlow and David Palmer. Especially Evan and Barlow. I was anticipating another great new bassist to replace Glascock after his death and instead he just sacks the whole band except Martin. So I crossed my fingers and waited for the next album. The second I looked at the cover I knew it sucked. This was not Jethro Tull. I mean, I love Eddie Jobson, but what a mismatch.  I have never been able to listen to it. Of course it's been a steady stream of boring band members ever since.
infocat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2013 at 00:51
One should remember that A was recorded as an Ian Anderson solo album.  Only afterward was it released as a JT album.

Wikipedia says: "A was recorded as an intended Ian Anderson solo album before Tull's record label, Chrysalis, asked that it become credited to the group to help the label get through overall slow record sales. This is the reason for the album's title, as the tapes were marked "A" for "Anderson". It is noted for its more synthesiser-based sound, a fact which creates controversy among many of the band's fans. On the other hand, it features a folk-influenced piece "The Pine Marten's Jig"."
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2013 at 07:22
Originally posted by stegor stegor wrote:

The biggest disappointment for me was When Ian Anderson sacked John Evan, Barrie Barlow and David Palmer. Especially Evan and Barlow. I was anticipating another great new bassist to replace Glascock after his death and instead he just sacks the whole band except Martin. So I crossed my fingers and waited for the next album. The second I looked at the cover I knew it sucked. This was not Jethro Tull. I mean, I love Eddie Jobson, but what a mismatch.  I have never been able to listen to it. Of course it's been a steady stream of boring band members ever since.

I felt the same way.  I cannot stand Dave Pegg and thought he was a horrible replacement for Glascock.  Tull had always had such cool bassists.  Even when they toured on "Bursting Out", replacement bassist Tony Williams was a great fit.  I've read that Barlow wasn't sacked, but that he quit after the death of Glascock.
stegor View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2013 at 09:14
Yeah, I've heard both stories about sacked vs quit. At the time it was reported that they were fired, but later the story changed. I think Barlow was going to leave either way because of John's death and the music was getting to be a bit too "Rumpety tumpety tump" for his tastes.

John Evan made it very clear he was let go. I understand Ian realized the 70's were over and he had to do something different but I don't think he realized how important those guys were to the band. It wasn't all about him.

And I agree about Dave Pegg. He always came across like he was trying too hard to be a showman. Watching him on video of the A tour is painful. That goofy grin and his bobbing back and forth. Just kinda dorky.

Glascock was awesome. I didn't appreciate him enough at the time because Jeffrey's green boots were tough to fill, but when I saw them on the Songs from the Wood tour he was awesome. And the Carmen albums are brilliant. And his huge hair made up for Martin's lack thereof.

Now that I think about it, I wonder if Tull's strength was contained in their collective hair follicles. The more hair they had the better they were.

Here's a shot I took of him on the Heavy Horses tour. I stuck it inside an album sleeve for some reason and my basement flooded. I found it years later stuck to the record and it looked like this! Can't do that with Photoshop.

The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2013 at 09:54
Originally posted by stegor stegor wrote:

Yeah, I've heard both stories about sacked vs quit. At the time it was reported that they were fired, but later the story changed. I think Barlow was going to leave either way because of John's death and the music was getting to be a bit too "Rumpety tumpety tump" for his tastes.

John Evan made it very clear he was let go. I understand Ian realized the 70's were over and he had to do something different but I don't think he realized how important those guys were to the band. It wasn't all about him.

And I agree about Dave Pegg. He always came across like he was trying too hard to be a showman. Watching him on video of the A tour is painful. That goofy grin and his bobbing back and forth. Just kinda dorky.

Glascock was awesome. I didn't appreciate him enough at the time because Jeffrey's green boots were tough to fill, but when I saw them on the Songs from the Wood tour he was awesome. And the Carmen albums are brilliant. And his huge hair made up for Martin's lack thereof.

Now that I think about it, I wonder if Tull's strength was contained in their collective hair follicles. The more hair they had the better they were.

Here's a shot I took of him on the Heavy Horses tour. I stuck it inside an album sleeve for some reason and my basement flooded. I found it years later stuck to the record and it looked like this! Can't do that with Photoshop.

Brilliant photo...though you had to go to great extremes to get it Wink

I saw Glascock twice, on both the "Too Old..." and "Songs from the Wood" tours.  What I used to love about Tull in concert was they were like a 5 ring circus with everybody doing their own unique and crazy things.  Your description of Dave Pegg as "dorky" is perfect.  He was like a fish out of water on the "Stormwatch" tour...Tull just kept falling downhill after that (though I did like the Crest of a Knave tour - I just ignored Dave Pegg and Don Airey's kybd solo was this sequenced-synth thing that was all flash and no substance...tried to ignore that too).

Edited by The.Crimson.King - April 13 2013 at 11:44
Earendil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2013 at 12:26
Sleeping in Traffic Pt 2 hooked me on Beardfish, and I think it's a masterpiece, but that their last two (especially The Void) are pretty regressive.  Hopefully they move back to being more Gentle Giant-esque instead of this unconvincing heaviness.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2013 at 13:27
Originally posted by Larree Larree wrote:

Originally posted by Billy 7 Billy 7 wrote:

Genesis not calling it a day when Hackett left !

Genesis should have called it a day after Trick of the Tail!

Not when the record companies are lining up telling you that they will give you amounts of money you had not even dreamed about before ... !!!!!!!

Like Robert Redford once said ... "I would be stupid to not take the $20 million to speak 5 lines and be there for a total of 10 minutes!"  ... (and I will add ... ) ... what they do with the movie I don't care ...  I now can live my dream in Utah! ...
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
tamijo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2013 at 06:44
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Originally posted by Larree Larree wrote:

Originally posted by Billy 7 Billy 7 wrote:

Genesis not calling it a day when Hackett left !

Genesis should have called it a day after Trick of the Tail!

Not when the record companies are lining up telling you that they will give you amounts of money you had not even dreamed about before ... !!!!!!!

Like Robert Redford once said ... "I would be stupid to not take the $20 million to speak 5 lines and be there for a total of 10 minutes!"  ... (and I will add ... ) ... what they do with the movie I don't care ...  I now can live my dream in Utah! ...

I would definately have continualy made more copies of what i had allready done, to keep my narrowminded fans happy, even if i had to tour for 25 years playing music, I was totaly bored with, together with people i was fed up with, and had no common artistic ambition with, I would be totaly indiffrent to the fact that everyone else was moving in other directions at the time, and i would just sell the house moving into a flat, cos i dont care about millions of $.
OR NOT  
Prog is whatevey you want it to be. So dont diss other peoples prog, and they wont diss yours
Metalmarsh89 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2013 at 10:55
I found Dream Theater's Chaos in Motion live album rather disappointing. I didn't like the idea of combining different parts of several different shows into one live album. The energy and magic doesn't flow well at all. Also LaBrie sounded much, much better when I saw them last year.
JaySpiral View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2013 at 18:03
The Mars Volta and Porcupine Tree both split up Cry
horza View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2013 at 14:52
Originally posted by Metalmarsh89 Metalmarsh89 wrote:

I found Dream Theater's Chaos in Motion live album rather disappointing. I didn't like the idea of combining different parts of several different shows into one live album. The energy and magic doesn't flow well at all. Also LaBrie sounded much, much better when I saw them last year.

I saw Dream Theater during the Chaos in Motion tour in support of the Systematic Chaos album. They were awesome and this DVD set captured the overall ambience perfectly. It was totally acceptable in my opinion to incorporate different shows into one live album. The photo slideshow at the end had a snapshot taken at the Braehead Arena in Glasgow where I saw them. It was pretty cool to think that I was in the background of that photo somewhere.
Originally posted by darkshade:

Calling Mike Portnoy a bad drummer is like calling Stephen Hawking an idiot.
Metalmarsh89 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2013 at 17:01
Originally posted by horza horza wrote:

I saw Dream Theater during the Chaos in Motion tour in support of the Systematic Chaos album. They were awesome and this DVD set captured the overall ambience perfectly. It was totally acceptable in my opinion to incorporate different shows into one live album. The photo slideshow at the end had a snapshot taken at the Braehead Arena in Glasgow where I saw them. It was pretty cool to think that I was in the background of that photo somewhere.

I'm glad you enjoyed it. I'd still watch it again, but I have a few other of their live DVD's that I know I prefer.

Earthmover View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2013 at 17:55
King Crimson - not releasing at least one mediocre album to give some advantage to other prog bands.
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2013 at 01:40

Originally posted by horza horza wrote:

I'm glad you enjoyed it. I'd still watch it again, but I have a few other of their live DVD's that I know I prefer.

I really liked it to. 5 disc set I bought. 3 CDs and 2 dvd's. Tons of fun!!
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2013 at 01:47
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Hmm....
Maybe not what you had in mind, but something that's been rather difficult to swallow for me, is when artists denounce their earlier music. Pink Floyd fx have been pretty nasty about Atom Heart Mother, especially Waters and Gilmour.
Now I happen to believe that AHM is a bonafide masterpiece, and that the epic selftitled track is a thing of pure art. A lot of that is obviously down to Ron Geesin's input and guidance, which is why I find it even more disrespectful. It was just as much his baby.

Dave, I agree about the album, and it especially bugs me as I've read over the years Gilmour having said things like he felt the album was rubbish. When I first started getting into prog, I only had cassettes of `Animals' and `Atom Heart Mother' (that tape was in vile condition too! ), and I had NEVER heard music like it! It was the most exciting, unique, varied, schizophrenic and strage album I had ever heard! Totally knocked me back....I remember being 16-17, spending a summer helping out at my Dad's work wrapping up and posting business calenders to clients, and I had that Atom Heart tape playing over and over for days on end :)

As for the topic of this thread, I was pretty disappointed when Porcupine Tree first started heading in the `harder/heavier' direction....as much as I still love those last few albums, they certainly lost a little bit of their subtlety :)

Do you like the album, In Absentia? Seems to be what a lot of Porcupine tree fans adore. Trains was a cool track, but a tad on the IMO side for me.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2013 at 01:51
Originally posted by zeqexes zeqexes wrote:

I found A Dramatic Turn of Events quite disappointing - a decent album if we're talking about musical ideas, but just way too full of musical noodling (something I hoped they would let go of when Mike P left)

Oh come on!!! A Dramatic Turn is awesome and you know it!!!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2013 at 01:55
Originally posted by The Doctor The Doctor wrote:

I liked Octavarium quite a bit.  And do prefer it over Systematic Chaos, although I don't think that was too bad of an album either. 

Agreed. It's FALLING INTO INFINITY that is a huge f**kin disappointment. Ouch. Not a good album as a whole.
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2013 at 02:00
Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

As for the topic of this thread, I was pretty disappointed when Porcupine Tree first started heading in the `harder/heavier' direction....as much as I still love those last few albums, they certainly lost a little bit of their subtlety :)

Do you like the album, In Absentia? Seems to be what a lot of Porcupine tree fans adore. Trains was a cool track, but a tad on the IMO side for me.

Don't get me wrong, I do really like the album, `Gravity Eyelids', `Lips Of Ashes', `.3', `Heart Attack In A Layby', `Trains' all really do it for me. But when it came out, the heavier elements kind of stuck out and broke up any continued and growing sense of mood, which every Porcupine Tree album had done so well up until that point!

But I think the anonymous noisy metal attack of `Wedding Nails' is totally out of place for them (as much as I think it's not all that bad), and `Prodigal' is very bland.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2013 at 02:06
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Originally posted by HackettFan HackettFan wrote:

Marillion. Script for a Jester's Tear was magnificent to me and still is. Fugazi was mediocre. Misplaced Childhood was nothing but a chore for me to sit through.

Funny how that works - my fave is Fugazi, while I partly agree with you on Misplaced Childhood.

Fugazi(all f**ked up all screwed up) is brilliant!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 10>