Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedIn what way did your prog favs let you down?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2013 at 02:11
Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

It's FALLING INTO INFINITY that is a huge f**kin disappointment. Ouch. Not a good album as a whole.

Oooohh, this is awkward lol! That album was the one that first got me into Dream Theater, and seeing how complex and more involved the rest of their albums are, I like to put that one in when I want something a little simpler to listen to, as there's just some decent little tunes on there! `Under Peruvian Skies' and `You Not Me' are damn fine tracks!
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2013 at 02:13
Originally posted by Metalmarsh89 Metalmarsh89 wrote:

I can't think of anything a band does or as done that I find disappointing. Part of it would be that I've only been into prog for a couple years now, so anything that happened in the 1970's is history to me. But part of it would also be that when prog bands make questionable decisions, I know that my expectations for them are irrelevant to what should be done. They are people too.Although, I am disappointed in Frank Zappa and Freddie Mercury for dying. Tongue

How about Queensr˙che?
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2013 at 02:21
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

It's FALLING INTO INFINITY that is a huge f**kin disappointment. Ouch. Not a good album as a whole.

Oooohh, this is awkward lol! That album was the one that first got me into Dream Theater, and seeing how complex and more involved the rest of their albums are, I like to put that one in when I want something a little simpler to listen to, as there's just some decent little tunes on there! `Under Peruvian Skies' and `You Not Me' are damn fine tracks!

Never awkward with you my friend. I did appreciate Trail of Tears, but I look at the high point of the releases of IMAGES AND WORDS and AWAKE being released; then with a solid Ep with A CHANGE OF SEASONS and then came FALLING INTO INFINITY???? Ooohh that stung me a bit quite good. I was so Dissapointed when Moore left the band and FALLING INTO INFINITY reminds me of that sad departure.
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2013 at 02:35

Never awkward with you my friend. I did appreciate Trail of Tears, but I look at the high point of the releases of IMAGES AND WORDS and AWAKE being released; then with a solid Ep with A CHANGE OF SEASONS and then came FALLING INTO INFINITY???? Ooohh that stung me a bit quite good. I was so Dissapointed when Moore left the band and FALLING INTO INFINITY reminds me of that sad departure.

I guess it also comes down to the fact that DT are a band you are very passionate about, so you're a lot closer to them than I am. I may always buy and enjoy their albums, but a change (of seasons? ) like you detailed above would definately mean a lot of someone who rates them so highly.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2013 at 02:44
Dissapointed feelings......

Well let's see.

Queensr˙che---biggest freakin' disappointment I can think of. Wow. After 1991's The Promise Land it has been a real nasty sh*t show both musically and professionally. Degarmo leaving the band, essentially killed Queensr˙che along with Geoff Tate's horrible ego. Major turmoil and bad blood between band members even today.   

Fates Warning---Mark Zonder leaving the band.

Dream Theater--the release of Falling Into Infinity after having to previous masterpieces released with Images and words and Awake. Also. Kevin Moore departing from the band.

Lastly.

Fish leaving Marillion and having a poor solo career, although Vigil in a hall of mirrors was a fine album. The rest? No!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2013 at 02:49

I guess it also comes down to the fact that DT are a band you are very passionate about, so you're a lot closer to them than I am. I may always buy and enjoy their albums, but a change (of seasons? ) like you detailed above would definately mean a lot of someone who rates them so highly.

It was just the point at which that album(falling into infinity) was released. It just didn't fit nor was I expecting that, but now in my later years I can appreciate the album a bit more, but it still reminds me of Moore leaving and I was so worried that their true edge was gone. Scary moment.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2013 at 02:50

It was just the point at which that album(falling into infinity) was released. It just didn't fit nor was I expecting that, but now in my later years I can appreciate the album a bit more, but it still reminds me of Moore leaving and I was so worried that their true edge was gone. Scary moment.

And yes....I absolutely love Dream Theater. One of the very best bands I know for sure.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2013 at 02:54
Nick, not even a fan of Fish's `Sunsets On Empire'? It had a young Steven Wilson playing all over it....you know, when he wasn't afraid of letting rip epic long drawn out proggy guitar solos lol!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2013 at 03:00

Nick, not even a fan of Fish's `Sunsets On Empire'? It had a young Steven Wilson playing all over it....you know, when he wasn't afraid of letting rip epic long drawn out proggy guitar solos lol!

Hee Hee. Yeah. You know your stuff, but that track really didn't do it for me. Not sure why? My guess is that the album bugged me as a whole.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2013 at 03:02

Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Originally posted by HackettFan HackettFan wrote:

Marillion. Script for a Jester's Tear was magnificent to me and still is. Fugazi was mediocre. Misplaced Childhood was nothing but a chore for me to sit through.

Funny how that works - my fave is Fugazi, while I partly agree with you on Misplaced Childhood.

Fugazi(all f**ked up all screwed up) is brilliant!
'Fugazi' is my fave Marillion album by a long-shot Thumbs Up
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2013 at 03:18
^^Ok. See. Fugazi. Now there is an album where Fish sings brilliantly. In his solo career he sounds totally different. Almost a little Bruce Springsteen like when he sings all soft and sweet like on the intro to the track Sunsets on empires. It was majorly Dissapointing for me how his voice had changed so much, but I know he wanted to essentially get out of the big Marillion shadow he was under. Above all, Fish had his best years with Marillion and playing with that band made him better too! How can a anyone not love incubus??
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2013 at 03:19

Fish's voice had changed far too dramatically for my liking.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2013 at 03:27
I think he's still a very charismatic old bugger! I think if I recall his `13th Star' (was that the title?), his most recent studio album was his best for a while? I like his last few, but there's a handful of great stuff and a bunch of serviceable but unmemorable tracks on them.

How do you feel about the Hogarth Marillion stuff instead? Has any of that let you down?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2013 at 11:15

I think he's still a very charismatic old bugger! I think if I recall his `13th Star' (was that the title?), his most recent studio album was his best for a while? I like his last few, but there's a handful of great stuff and a bunch of serviceable but unmemorable tracks on them.

How do you feel about the Hogarth Marillion stuff instead? Has any of that let you down?

Hey. Yeah. I can relate and understand why you care for the Fish and that how people can think their is kind of a charm to his voice. Sure. Absolutely, but for me Fish....well he sounds like a Fish out of water. Lol. Too soft and without the rugged darkness he carried with Marillion. When I listened to Family business off Vigil I nearly sh*t my bed! Couldn't believe it was the same guy! What happened? :) oh and yes, you have the title right for the album. :)

As for The Hogarth era, it's really hard not to love SEASONS END, BRAVE and MARBLES. Those albums are incredible, but they will never measure up to the first 4 with Fish. I only like those 3 albums with Hogarth. Actually, I'd say the tacks seasons end and THE INVISIBLE MAN are among my all time Marillon favourites.

Ha ha!! You've inspired me Micheal!!! I'm gonna put MARBLES on today!
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2013 at 11:19
Marbles, baby....what a stunner!

I really like the Hogarth version of Marillion....in keeping with the theme of this thread, I love all those H-era albums, even if...well, not so much that any of those albums have let me down, but it seems to be they get one really strong defining album every few years, with a bunch of very respectable if just decent albums in between.

So not really `let downs', as even though lesser albums will have a couple of stunning tracks on them!
mageestout View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2013 at 07:18
Originally posted by Larree Larree wrote:

Originally posted by Billy 7 Billy 7 wrote:

Genesis not calling it a day when Hackett left !

<div style=": rgb255, 255, 255; margin-left: 1px; margin-top: 1px; margin-right: 1px; margin-bottom: 1px; font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; color: rgb0, 0, 0; font-weight: normal; font-size: 12px; line-height: 1.2; border-top-width: 0px; border-right-width: 0px; border-bottom-width: 0px; border-left-width: 0px; border-style: initial; border-color: initial; -: none; ">Genesis should have called it a day after Trick of the Tail!

I beg to differ - how about after ...AND THEN THERE WERE THREE.
I just love that LP.

Then again, after FOLLOW YOU was a hit and the money finally started coming in, can you blame them for carrying on?

I always think that when the prog bands we love go less proggy & more poppy the silver lining is that a fan that enjoys the band for the pop sound may explore the same band during their prog sound and then we have a new convert! From that point they get interested in other prog bands and then..... PROGUS ROCKUS UBER ALLES!!!!!!

Cheers,
Scott
mageestout View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2013 at 07:26
Originally posted by Moogtron III Moogtron III wrote:

My favorite prog band (Yes) didn't really let me down, just started losing the magic a bit from the 1990's on.
I don't blame them, and it's nice that sometimes there were outbursts of new creativity again, as with Keys To Ascension, the tour with the orchestra (Magnification) and Fly From Here (although I do miss Anderson and Wakeman).

Well said!!!
Cheers,
Scott
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2013 at 23:44

I really like the Hogarth version of Marillion....in keeping with the theme of this thread, I love all those H-era albums, even if...well, not so much that any of those albums have let me down, but it seems to be they get one really strong defining album every few years, with a bunch of very respectable if just decent albums in between.

So not really `let downs', as even though lesser albums will have a couple of stunning tracks on them!

Marillion sound like progressive rock to me. Not Neo prog anymore. Think they dropped their Neo moniker after seasons end. What do you think?
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2013 at 03:45

Marillion sound like progressive rock to me. Not Neo prog anymore. Think they dropped their Neo moniker after seasons end. What do you think?
Hmmm......you could be onto something there..........Wink
prog4evr View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2013 at 14:02
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

Originally posted by horza horza wrote:

I can't think of any of my favourite prog bands which have not disappointed me in one way or another.... I might start with Yes thinking that Trevor Horn (ex-The Buggles) was a suitable replacement for Jon Anderson.
I agree!  In fact, Yes continues to disappoint.... Major record disappointments for me included "Drama" (putting me at odds with most on PA it would appear),  "Union," and  "Big Generator."  I wish Yes had stuck to the formula that created "Tales from Topographic Oceans"!   Over-reach, spiritual themes etc. They made their best music when they pushed themselves to their personal limits.
Well-spoken - could not have said it better myself...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910>